• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection Master Thread | This is it, baby. Hold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMax

Sorry if old – just found a sliver of 60fps H2A gameplay from the press conference.

Looks nice but super weird to see Halo 2 running like that!

Akai__

Here's a Polygon Interview were they may answer your question.

Watched it. Dan (lol at Dan being Frank O'Connor) said, it is a modified Halo 2 engine and we knew that already. However, he said, they will talk about some thing, closer to launch, which means we'll get in fact some more information. Can't wait.

I hope there aren't too many (if any at all) MP achievements. Because if they dont' stay populated, then they will be pretty tough to get.

I really hope they aren't just copying achievements, from the original games, because some of them are just bullshit.
And people will probably boost them anyways. :lol

I'm pretty much the opposite.

MC Collection feels like a pot-pourri where only Halo2A campaign and its 6 reworked MP maps are worth considering.

Playing rezzed-up versions of either Halo campaigns or maps when Bungie's new game offers co-op, MP, campaign in one modern package is a no-no.

I'm seriously flabbergasted no-one speaks of how deserted the playlists will be...

It releases after COD, after Battlefield, after Destiny, after Sunset Overdrive, after Assassin's Creed, all big games, all with major online play incentives...

I'm still happy I'll play vanilla Halo2 with reworked textures, but this collection is as much damage control (vs Destiny especially and after the repeat failure of Halo MP being the King) as it is a clebration of the X1 being Halo's home.

people played the last halo games to go offline until their last day, and that was after jumping through all the crazy hoops you had to do in order to get there.

Youre basically saying "its coming out when other games are coming out, thats so dumb"

I really hope they aren't just copying achievements, from the original games, because some of them are just bullshit.

I dont think so, at least not for ALL of them, i say that only because they mentioned theyll be an achievement for marathoning through all four games.

Toa TAK

Banned
Skull.jpg

HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!!

IWHBYD SKULL....
Oh God, this reminds me of all the stuff we have to re-collect in these games.

Bring it.
I dont think so, at least not for ALL of them, i say that only because they mentioned theyll be an achievement for marathoning through all four games.
I hate Halo's multiplayer achievements, especially Halo 3's Lone Wolf achievements, I couldn't tell you how many times I jumped into Lone Wolves and it just became a boosting session.

Akai__

I meant the MP achievements, but the bolded sounds actually worse. I can't marathon all campaigns, in one sitting. If it's something like "play through them in under (lets say) 50 hours in total", that would be possible and a good achievement.

I believe Frankie stated that some of the achievements would be reworked

Good to know.

I hate Halo's multiplayer achievements, especially Halo 3's Lone Wolf achievements, I couldn't tell you how many times I jumped into Lone Wolves and it just became a boosting session.

Halo has really bad MP achievements, that's true. Especially the DLC ones in Reach or Halo 4. Pretty much impossible to get, because if only 1 person doesn't have the DLC maps, you won't play DLC maps. And if they show up, nobody votes for them anyways. Boosting is often the only way to go.

Sordid

Anyone else think the 6 remade Halo 2 maps with 'modern' gameplay are a bit redundant? We're getting every Halo map ever (with each game getting it's own playlists + cross game playlists), surely the last thing needed is more playlists to dilute the population? The visual overhaul I understand (although I'm not a huge fan of the Halo 4 look!) but I don't understand changing up the gameplay.

The Halo 5 beta is in December anyway, surely that for a month is enough modern gameplay to tide us over until the full game releases next year?

Toa TAK

Banned
Halo has really bad MP achievements, that's true. Especially the DLC ones in Reach or Halo 4. Pretty much impossible to get, because if only 1 person doesn't have the DLC maps, you won't play DLC maps. And if they show up, nobody votes for them anyways. Boosting is often the only way to go.

Hooray for boosting?

It shouldn't be like that. I am a bit scared to see what multiplayer achievements there will be for Halo CE and 2 Anniversary if they add them.

Anyone else think the 6 remade Halo 2 maps with 'modern' gameplay are a bit redundant? We're getting every Halo map ever (with each game getting it's own playlists + cross game playlists), surely the last thing needed is more playlists to dilute the population? The visual overhaul I understand (although I'm not a huge fan of the Halo 4 look!) but I don't understand changing up the gameplay.

The Halo 5 beta is in December anyway, surely that for a month is enough modern gameplay to tide us over until the full game releases next year?

It's not redundant if they plan on giving us more maps until Halo 5 comes out. It all depends on what they're planning, unless it really is just a one-off.

Sordid

It's not redundant if they plan on giving us more maps until Halo 5 comes out. It all depends on what they're planning, unless it really is just a one-off.

With the crazy amount of maps in the package I never thought of DLC! Still, unless the maps are free the playlists will probably end up barren if the DLC is required or the maps will never appear if they're not required.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
With the crazy amount of maps in the package I never thought of DLC! Still, unless the maps are free the playlists will probably end up barren if the DLC is required or the maps will never appear if they're not required.

Yeah there is no way they will release extra map through DLC on top of 100 maps. I mean common? They will focus all their energy making Halo 5 content rich. And I am more than happy with that. All halo maps + forge. Is way too much for 1 year and beyond. I am sure we will be playing this along side with Halo 5 lol.

True. Maybe this'll be a good time to try out free multiplayer maps with other ways to charge for DLC before Halo 5 comes out? 343 needs to do something different than charging people $10 for 2-3 maps that get played less than 10 times lol

EDIT:
Yeah there is no way they will release extra map through DLC on top of 100 maps. I mean common? They will focus all their energy making Halo 5 content rich. And I am more than happy with that. All halo maps + forge. Is way too much for 1 year and beyond. I am sure we will be playing this along side with Halo 5 lol.
Consider this: What if H2A (Halo 4 engine tweaked to match Halo 2 gameplay/settings) is the most popular playlist? I think it would be in their best interest, IF they planned on remaking more maps, that they experiment with this. Shit, throw a Grenade Launcher on those maps, make it what many were expecting H2A to be: a standalone Halo multiplayer that incorporates elements from previous Halo games into one multiplayer experience.

U2NUMB

I would think the only way they add "new maps" would be to continue to remaster old maps like the 6 they will pack in from Halo 2. I would be ok with that and keep them to one hopper but I also believe it would be nice to just release them to everyone as a bonus but then I remembered it is 2014 and our hobby is gaming so that will not happen.

But .... no new maps are needed, perhaps some more remasters.

MaGlock

I'm really hoping for two map pack a for the H2A mode. Get it up to 12 maps plus a forge slate it could last up to halo 5 for me.

Alexalder

Banned
I watched this years E3 with my 10 year old son. I feel in love with Halo 1, 2 and to a less extent 3, my son also loves the first three (and plays a little bit of 4 as well as Reach/ODST). He has many MANY Halo figures and I think all of the Halo Mega Blox toys (think cheap Lego). We both jupmed off the sofa when the collection was announced. My son turned round to me and said, Dad, I know the baby will be here soon (my wife is expecting) but don't worry about it, I am gonna but that with my pocket money. IT made me so happy.... I'm getting a free copy of the MC Collection! A woohoo!
Sir, your life must be awesome.

Magni

Sooo thanks to this, I'm jumping back in. Should I go Kinect-less for $399 or Kinect+Titanfall for $499. I'm totally out of the loop, is Titanfall worth it? Or will the price of the One decrease by November and I should just wait?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

MC Collection feels like a pot-pourri where only Halo2A campaign and its 6 reworked MP maps are worth considering.

Playing rezzed-up versions of either Halo campaigns or maps when Bungie's new game offers co-op, MP, campaign in one modern package is a no-no.

I'm seriously flabbergasted no-one speaks of how deserted the playlists will be...

It releases after COD, after Battlefield, after Destiny, after Sunset Overdrive, after Assassin's Creed, all big games, all with major online play incentives...

I'm still happy I'll play vanilla Halo2 with reworked textures, but this collection is as much damage control (vs Destiny especially and after the repeat failure of Halo MP being the King) as it is a clebration of the X1 being Halo's home.

Please stop trolling this thread with your crazy conspiracy bullshit. Please stop. Pls.

Pls.

Just. Stop.

Striker

I'd agree with you here. Maybe successor isn't what it should be called, but I'd prefer to distinguish maps with even subtle differences compared to the originals from the ones that are more closely remade, such as Blackout, Heretic, and Reflection. Game mechanics aside (even though they're a key factor), many "remakes" don't play like they used to with the geometric changes.
The changes made for Sidewinder to Avalanche, at least the most important one in the center, was a fairly big one. It caused a heavy dosage of combat to be contested there, all with a Shotgun spawn, two Sniper and OS spawns on each side as well. Really hated that and made the map be possibly great to just above average. Changes were similarly made in Blackout, such as removing the library window. Also having things like equipment on them (coming over from Halo 2) really changed up some of the dynamics and caused more frustration than fun to me.

Remember they had remakes in Halo 2 coming from Halo 1: Wizard to Warlock, Battle Creek to Beaver Creek, Blood Gulch to Coagulation, and later Hang 'em High to Tombstone and Derelict to Desolation. The first three of which are the game's greater maps and transition well from Halo 1's style of gameplay.

Walshicus

I wonder if Halo 5 (both Beta and full release) will integrate into this release? I mean why not have a single UI for all Halo on XB1?

I am super excited for this collection. The first two Halo games were among my most played games during my younger years. I remember getting an Xbox 360 with Halo 3 and Mass Effect during Christmas 2007, but I was sorely disappointed by Halo 3. I haven't played 4 yet so that should be fun to go through. I hope they also release a "Halo Legacy" collection someday that includes ODST, Reach and Wars. That would be really helpful for me since I haven't played a whole lot of those games.

I'm also impressed by how well they are doing the layout of the collection. Being able to jump into any level from the Halo games near-instantly sounds amazing.

Eoin

The greatest thing about this collection is it has spurred so many of my friends to grab an Xbox one. Even those that were completely apathetic about upgrading were going mental over this. Going to be so good playing Halo with them again.

Booties

Banned

Yeah, those Ranked FFA ones were nuts. I don't know how I got them all more than once. Taking advantage of lvl 15 lone wolves helped a lot.

Bsigg12

Ruffian?

so random. I'm assumign then that Ruffian will be making Crackdown in conjunction with Cloudgine.

I'm guessing Ruffian will begin work on Crackdown once they're done with this and join the Cloudgine and Microsoft teams that are building the backend and UE4 tools for Crackdown. But damn, this is a massive undertaking. 343, Certain Affinity, Blur Studios and now Ruffian all on the same project is insane.

Has there been any word on re-releasing the remastered H2 soundtrack?

^^^ This! This! It took me a little while to warm up to the Halo CE:A soundtrack, felt almost like cheating at first without Marty at the helm.. but eventually I grew to really like it an enjoy it. I still enjoy the original, but it just feels like MORE Halo music, which is great.

Big question.. will Incubus be on there?!

BrumGB

Struggling to get my head around the Halo 2 bit of the anniversary..

Are the 6 * Halo 2 remastered maps part of the Halo 2 A multiplayer? Oh and for the remaining maps are they just updated in terms of frame rate, texture and resolution?

How is ranking managed throughout the each game in the collection? e.g. Will each game retain it's original ranking system or will they unified across the entire collection.

Apologies for my ignorance.

Stinkles

^^^ This! This! It took me a little while to warm up to the Halo CE:A soundtrack, felt almost like cheating at first without Marty at the helm.. but eventually I grew to really like it an enjoy it. I still enjoy the original, but it just feels like MORE Halo music, which is great.

Big question.. will Incubus be on there?!

Entire score has been rerecorded at Skywalker sound and so has a certain series of legendary metal guitar licks. Licensed stuff I forgot what the status was, will ask Paul when I get back next week.

Digital release is certainly possible. An anniversary music compendium might be interesting too.

0233_fm2x.gif

Seriously? How do you get through a door with that much tin foil on your head?

We heard you the first time around. Pot-pourri, though? This whole post reeks of damage control vs your previous post's ample package.
0428_f0rfb.gif

Fucking Perfect.

Toa TAK

Banned
Entire score has been rerecorded at Skywalker sound and so has a certain series of legendary metal guitar licks. Licensed stuff I forgot what the status was, will ask Paul when I get back next week.

Digital release is certainly possible. An anniversary music compendium might be interesting too.

Will you guys release a record like the first Anniversary?

Anytime I put my record player to use is awesome.

Syrus

Banned
Sooo thanks to this, I'm jumping back in. Should I go Kinect-less for $399 or Kinect+Titanfall for $499. I'm totally out of the loop, is Titanfall worth it? Or will the price of the One decrease by November and I should just wait?

I've put over 100 hours into titanfall, its worth it. The Kinect alone will cost 99-150$ probably so if you ever plan to buy the Kinect later it may be better now with a free game.

Yesterday I resumed a Legendary run I had going on The Arbiter. Still one of my favorite Campaign missions, especially the beginning.

d509f1429d7c04b02a447bad3747d5d3.png

Threshold is going to look incredible in new graphics.

The part afterwards in The Oracle was a bit more unnerving than I remember. Halo 2 really nailed the atmosphere with the Flood, so I hope the remaster doesn't make the levels too bright like Guilty Spark ended up in CEA.

Stinkles

I just apologized to Lars for doing damage control by releasing a remastered fps xbox collection in November to counteract his September multiplatform RPG.

Please understand.

Omg the constant growling has me in tears. Did not realize how goofy Elites sounded

Yea Halo 3 AI was comical. I love the goofy side of the games though.

I just apologized to Lars for doing damage control by releasing a remastered fps xbox collection in November to counteract his September multiplatform RPG.

Please understand.

I was going to ask you what was the most ridiculous criticism you've heard from the Halo fanbase over the years, but I think I have my answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom