• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo:MCC HCS Cup cancelled because of joinability issues..

Sounds like the game barely got finished in time to meet the date. I don't see how/where they could have afforded the time and man power to actually do a beta.

Also, Betas are primarily a marketing tool at this point. They didnt need to sell the idea of Halo 2 and 3 multiplayer to people

I guess you have a point there. From people have said, it seemed that MS set a clear release date and tightly adhered to it.

Hubble

What irks me is the unestablished dedicated servers. I played a lot of games tonight and it was a bad day compared to most. For some reason, a lot of games were laggy and people warpy. It is amazing to me they advertised this game with dedicated servers and get away without providing them as standard.

I was waiting to see if we'd get any sort of response or apology for this event out of 343 other than a random tweet that has since been drowned in Halo 5 ads on the Halo twitter feed... nope.

343 Industries, folks.

Yankee Fever

Neo Member
343 released a working product in Halo 4 and will most likely going by the H5 Beta, release H5 in an acceptable, working state.

I don't understand why some just refrain from pointing the fingers at the real culprits that rushed this game out the door in the holidays to cash in on their big promotion - Microsoft. MS screwed people over, not 343i - whom are fine taking the blame...
im not even sure if the file share function works yet on halo 4. host migration was pathetic, there were no ranked playlists, it diddnt launch with a team doubles playlist and the frame rate on split screen made it unplayable. its pretty despicable that they rode the "BATTLE RIFLE IS BACK" hype train all the way up until launch and then made the dmr have more aim assist and a faster kill time.

some of that stuff is not technically "broken," but it doesnt really help out Microsofts image. yes Microsoft, since they have had creative control over the franchise since bungie became independent in 2007. 343i is Microsoft.

The same can be said for the hyperbole regarding the MCC.

The people who spend day in and day out in the trenches of MCC are saying one thing and those that don't even own an X1/MCC are saying another.

The game worked well enough that I'd recommend the game again in the March patch. Now it's broken again. The HCS has had no real major issues for a long time now. This is the first cup cancellation.

I DO blame the OP for making it sound like the entire thing is cancelled (as does the headlines for the Kotaku article), when in fact, it's just one online cup (1 out of 10, not to mention 3 LANs).

Don't be so quick to judge people, after all, isn't that what you complain about in every thread?

depends how you define, "major issues." im sure you have seen the game black screen MULTIPLE times during big games with SQ. im sure you have seen str8 rippin stand in the hill and not collect time, then protest the game. im sure you have seen ninjas blogs which talk about black screening and having to replay games, which he feels cost them big series.

im sure you saw the pre release tournament when formal was playing, and there was connection error after connection error after connection error. and im sure you heard them tell you that they were playing on a pre-release build and it in no way represents the finished product.

you had to have, right?

You sure you played the Halo 5 beta? because a lot of what you said is out right wrong, clearly you didn't watch a lot of the pro players on the beta, and did not see the final points after the beta end by 343. So I'll reply to each point one by one.

As much as you don't like sprint, don't try and force this idea that "many" do not want sprint, as made evident by 343 "The results from the HCFP surveys showed that nearly 11% of HCFP participants felt that Halo should not have sprint.".

You are BEYOND factually incorrect here, there have been a few notable skill jumps as made clear by a few pro players if you watched them play, such as on Truth, you can jump from spawn all the way to the mid platform using a very difficult sprint, jump, attempt ground pound, cancel around, clamber combo. Here are the specific videos of these new skill jumps demonstrated in Halo 5 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eodZ4AjEx38&spfreload=10 , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA7vr6hr3JI ).

Also as seen in the Halowaypoint post H5 beta article, "Modify Ground Pound controls to prevent conflicts w/ crouch jumping". Clearly showing that crouch jumping is still an alive function.

Although I do agree the strength of these automatic weapons are a bit too much, especially in mid range (primary due to the smart-link benefit/ ADS). Again if you bothered reading the 343 post "Reduce bonuses for automatic weapons in Smart-Link & w/ headshots". Honestly I like the direction of auto weapons actually being a worthwhile choice.

Also it's still clear in many H5 beta matches with pro players BR is still king.

You are not even giving a logical argument to why the new rankings is not good. "Not simple enough", what exactly does this mean. There are different ranks/leagues you are placed in after 10 matches within the game mode, then you are rated after each game with a number to represent how far away you are from the next league.

This is a clear, effective and frankly the best way of ranking so far. It's working with HIGHLY competitive games everywhere (SC2, League of Legends etc...). Only issue was ranks barely worked in the beta.

Please do consider watching Flameswords "Road to Halo 5 Beta Pro Ranks" on youtube.
I watched the pro players in the beta! i saw the chats full of people hating on sprint and the entire game itsself! i saw ninja playing all night without sprint! i saw roy and walshy say that they dont like sprint. i saw t2 rage on twitter and naded pick up his chair and throw it across the room! you remember any of that?

i also remember when the community tried to do their own polls about how the feel about the game, and 343 replied on twitter saying something like, "our voting pool was biased." only to watch them use their own biased voting pool to say that only 11% want to remove sprint.

remember when they said that ADS was "PURELY COSMETIC" and would have no influence on anything else except COSMETICS. well.. that turned out to be just another lie from the public relations department.

as far as them changing the controller layout to accommodate for crouch jumping? that is exactly what they did, accommodate for it. they diddnt build the game with crouch jumping in mind, they built it with sprint and clambering. which is fine, but dont try to act like they are listening because they added a sprint toggle in custom games and made it so you can crouch jump again... 3 years into development.
Against sprint =/= against Halo 5.

I spend most of my free time watching their streams/following the HCS/participating in HCS discussion on Team Beyond (competitive Halo forum). I can assure you all of those names are very excited for Halo 5 and can't wait for it.

At MOST they've stated they want some small things changed but think it will be good/enjoyed it.

i saw you adress it earlier so you definitely understand the concept of needing to put food on the table. of course these players are excited for a new halo game. its another chance for halo to return to its glory days as far as user base and thus profitability is concerned.

of course they're saying good things about halo in the public eye, they need to persuade whats left of the fan base to stay along so they can become more profitable. its all politics. you dont bite the hand that feeds you. if you get into any of the behind the scenes discussions from these pros i guarantee you they fucking hate what Microsoft has done to this franchise.

ask heinz what he thinks of the state of halo?

one last question.. have you not noticed that there has been an absolute SHIT STORM any time ANY piece of news has been announced concerning halo 4 and 5?

Biker19

Banned
LOL, wow. That's just embarrassing.

MCC has to be one of the most embarrassing fuck-ups this industry and medium has ever seen.

We're not talking about just another overhyped, mass-marketed AAA release. Halo is supposed to be the killer-app that pulls in system sales for Xbox like a vacuum. This is like if WiiU Zelda ended up being a broken mess, and even then, Nintendo has other huge names like Mario, Smash, Metroid, etc. to pick up the slack. Microsoft pretty much has nothing to represent their system beyond Halo, maybe excluding Forza.

I honestly can't tell what they should do at this point. Even if the game was fixed, virtually no one cares anymore.

This. And not even Nintendo themselves would fuck up their famous franchises.

Hubble

im not even sure if the file share function works yet on halo 4. host migration was pathetic, there were no ranked playlists, it diddnt launch with a team doubles playlist and the frame rate on split screen made it unplayable. its pretty despicable that they rode the "BATTLE RIFLE IS BACK" hype train all the way up until launch and then made the dmr have more aim assist and a faster kill time.

some of that stuff is not technically "broken," but it doesnt really help out Microsofts image. yes Microsoft, since they have had creative control over the franchise since bungie became independent in 2007. 343i is Microsoft.

depends how you define, "major issues." im sure you have seen the game black screen MULTIPLE times during big games with SQ. im sure you have seen str8 rippin stand in the hill and not collect time, then protest the game. im sure you have seen ninjas blogs which talk about black screening and having to replay games, which he feels cost them big series.

im sure you saw the pre release tournament when formal was playing, and there was connection error after connection error after connection error. and im sure you heard them tell you that they were playing on a pre-release build and it in no way represents the finished product.

you had to have, right?

I watched the pro players in the beta! i saw the chats full of people hating on sprint and the entire game itsself! i saw ninja playing all night without sprint! i saw roy and walshy say that they dont like sprint. i saw t2 rage on twitter and naded pick up his chair and throw it across the room! you remember any of that?

i also remember when the community tried to do their own polls about how the feel about the game, and 343 replied on twitter saying something like, "our voting pool was biased." only to watch them use their own biased voting pool to say that only 11% want to remove sprint.

remember when they said that ADS was "PURELY COSMETIC" and would have no influence on anything else except COSMETICS. well.. that turned out to be just another lie from the public relations department.

as far as them changing the controller layout to accommodate for crouch jumping? that is exactly what they did, accommodate for it. they diddnt build the game with crouch jumping in mind, they built it with sprint and clambering. which is fine, but dont try to act like they are listening because they added a sprint toggle in custom games and made it so you can crouch jump again... 3 years into development.

i saw you adress it earlier so you definitely understand the concept of needing to put food on the table. of course these players are excited for a new halo game. its another chance for halo to return to its glory days as far as user base and thus profitability is concerned.

of course they're saying good things about halo in the public eye, they need to persuade whats left of the fan base to stay along so they can become more profitable. its all politics. you dont bite the hand that feeds you. if you get into any of the behind the scenes discussions from these pros i guarantee you they fucking hate what Microsoft has done to this franchise.

one last question.. have you not noticed that there has been an absolute SHIT STORM any time ANY piece of news has been announced concerning halo 4 and 5?

They don't remember the hashtag #343bola, which is commonly used on Twitch, in Halo forums, and what not. Watch a stream on Twitch today and you'll see it appear at least once. The Halo community has a rabid disliking towards 343 preferring them to stay away from the franchise knowing they are ruining it hence the hashtag term.

VinFTW

This line of thinking is so ignorant and ass backwards. You can literally ask them yourselves. Go create an account on Team Beyond and find out just how wrong you are.

Heinz is the ONLY one who openly campaigned his strong disliking towards sprint (most don't like it, but didn't mind it). Even then, that's one mechanic, doubt it's going to dissuade him from all the other steps forward the game will be making.

^ therockclapping.gif
doyourresearch.gif

Hubble

This line of thinking is so ignorant and ass backwards. You can literally ask them yourselves. Go create an account on Team Beyond and find out just how wrong you are.

Heinz is the ONLY one who expressed a strong disliking towards sprint. Even then, that's one mechanic, doubt it's going to dissuade him from all the other steps forward the game will be making.

doyourresearch.gif

Dude Heinz, is NOT the only one. T2, Walshy, Naded has explicitly said Halo = no sprint, Roy has said no sprint, and said verbally he wants to see the game play without it, Lunchbox agrees, Hysteria does too. The pros have asked 343 to have their own public poll in the past and of course, 343 IGNORES Halo fans and wont do it. They don't listen to the community and have been bent hard on their poor direction.

VinFTW

Dude Heinz, is NOT the only one. T2, Walshy, Naded has explicitly said Halo = no sprint, Roy has said no sprint, and said verbally he wants to see the game play without it, Lunchbox agrees, Hysteria does too. The pros have asked 343 to have their own public poll in the past and of course, 343 IGNORES Halo fans and wont do it. They don't listen to the community and have been bent hard on their poor direction.

What does no sprint have to do with hating the direction of Halo 5? Everybody in their mother hates sprint in Halo.

You act like you have the hot scoop on the competitive Halo community. This has been common knowledge since Halo Reach.

Not to mention the competitive playlist (HCS playlist) settings haven't even begun to be decided. Josh has even mentioned the first tourney might be the only one with stock settings to avoid confusion amongst casual viewers and then future tourneys will be done with pro player voted settings. Thats worst case scenario, best case scenario the HCS starts with no sprint.

Again, what is your argument here? Sprint = Halo 5 is hated by all pros? They've expressed their dislike for sprint, but even WITH THAT, many of these pros you've mentioned state it's not as big of a deal as it used to be and are still very much excited.

VinFTW

I am confused.

In terms of a large campaigning after it was released Sprint won't be removed, Heinz was the only one who made a huge deal about it. I'll edit my posts to clarify.

Basically: Nobody WANTS sprint, some don't mind it in H5. It's not as offensive as it used to be in Halo 4 and Reach.

"We are the 11%". Do you remember seeing this at all on twitter?

You'd think Microsoft would be a little more careful with their biggest gaming IP. Really sad, in hoping to pick up an Xbox One for Halo 5 but this has me nervous. No way they'd fuck that up too right? That could be a franchise killer. Halo is competitive and if you can't even compete...
Haloe 5 will be fine. It's a whole other beast to make several games work well online compared to one. They also have a lot more people on H5 to ensure it works.

I'm not a Halo fan, but I really enjoyed the Multiplayer from Halo 2 and 3. Really sucks for the people who were looking forward to this event.

Hubble

In terms of a large campaigning after it was released Sprint won't be removed, Heinz was the only one who made a huge deal about it. I'll edit my posts to clarify.

Basically: Nobody WANTS sprint, some don't mind it in H5. It's not as offensive as it used to be in Halo 4 and Reach.

"We are the 11%". Do you remember seeing this at all on twitter?

I am not sure where you get you're information from as I am part of the community. All of the statements above of people I listed were made after the Halo 5 beta so it was in effect "campaigning"... Hysteria has said he tried providing his input, including sprint, but he feels there is nothing he or us can do that will make 343 listen, which can explain your lack of campaigning by the pro community. There are constant '#343bola' flowing in streams, and the fact it has become its own hashtag commonly recognized anywhere is an example of a campaign lol. As Yankee said, we tried to make our own polls in the past.

There are MANY things wrong with Halo 5 that the pros are worried about, and I have no idea where you are getting this "very much excited" from. The game is divisive at best, with many have a strong disliking towards 343, do not like the direction they are bringing the franchise to (what was once Halo is now becoming diluted among the other FPS's), and feel downright ignored. In fact, the pro community were not told of the abilities until an early invitation that happened shortly before its initial reveal. This pissed off the community, very much, since it was very clear where we stood after Halo 4 and wanted to be included in the design process.

Top Bottom