• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo:MCC HCS Cup cancelled because of joinability issues..

Hubble

https://twitter.com/Halo/status/592140345195962369

Yes, serious. The premier Halo team tournament has been cancelled because of problems with the game affecting social connectivity with friends. The same issue that has been in the last 10 patch notes.

We're aware of and investigating party joinability issues. As a result, we'll be canceling HCS Cup #1, and apologize for the inconvenience.

Yup, it has been a whopping 199 days since the release of Halo: The Master Chief Collection and issues are still prevalent affecting online multiplayer. Ranks have JUST been introduced, and as you know, the 1-50 ranking system is a major driving force for Halo players and their motivation to continue matchmaking and help retain a high population count. A lot of Halo fans, and pros have been frustrated by 343's lack of understanding of what Halo fans want (lack of maps in Halo competitive playlist with only 3, ranks should have been a quicker priority, unestablished dedicated servers, which leads to complaints for Halo 5, which are no sprint in Halo 5, bad maps in Halo 5 filled with clamber and sprint, no weapon callouts in Halo 5, no 1-50 ranking system (you got a 50 bro?) etc.)

jem0208

Just to note, this is only an online cup, one of something like 10 or so.

Not that it excuses the MCC being broken but it's not that major in terms of HCS.

VinFTW

A couple extra notes to put this into perspective:

1) The march patch made joining/inviting and parties in general a much better experience. It was a very solid and working experience.

2) The April patch added ranks, which work!, BUT, the changes to parties/inviting has been made worse.

3) Hopefully a reversion of the April patch/party/inviting fixes can be done to make it like the March patch again.

4) First online cup cancelled due to issues. This is 1 online cup (I believe they're 10 total online cups + 3 big LAN events per HCS season).

The Argus

You'd think Microsoft would be a little more careful with their biggest gaming IP. Really sad, in hoping to pick up an Xbox One for Halo 5 but this has me nervous. No way they'd fuck that up too right? That could be a franchise killer. Halo is competitive and if you can't even compete...

Percy

Banned
So not fixed as certain fans have been insisting it was the past few weeks? What a shock.

This title has been a real embarassment.

Canucked

Such a shame. I was one of the people who said I'd wait till things cleared up. Now I'm just not getting it. Not out of protest, but other games need playing now. What a bungled release.

I just want to say that I genuinely hope that Microsoft keeps throwing resources at Halo MCC to fix the issues, large and small. I love those early games and I want great, modern versions to exist.

In the short term maybe you won't earn much additional revenue, but stopping support would be even more brand damaging.

Bsigg12

It sucks because I'm having the most success getting into the games I ever have with the new update but I was going in solo.

Hopefully they reschedule it, I always enjoy watching competitive Halo.

JPLMD

loved the game for everything that was offline, just wished the online could be fixed. It was the only reason I stopped playing because the entire process of joining games and whatnot just became such a chore.

Wabba

Sad to see a Halo game in such bad shape. There has to be something seriously wrong with the whole structure of the game for it to be so broken. I think that MCC takes the crown from BF4 as the most broken online game.

VinFTW

which leads to complaints for Halo 5, which are no sprint in Halo 5, bad maps in Halo 5 filled with clamber and sprint, no weapon callouts in Halo 5, no 1-50 ranking system (you got a 50 bro?) etc.)

This all sounds like opinion. A lot of people like the new ranking system. Not sure what the point of adding this to the OP is.

Halo 5 =/= MCC

Kuroyume

Banned
As cool as the idea of the collection is they should have just honored the anniversary of Halo 2 and just left it at that. Now, they not only disappointed H2 fans but fans of the others as well.

Only gamed I've ever returned digitally. It was appalling how they released such an unfinished product as a tent pole release.

hao chi

This game is the gift that keeps giving.

It's a shame, because Halo 1 with working online would have been a huge selling point for the Xbox One for me, along with a new Crimson Skies.

MrMatt555

Wow. No doubt MCC is the reason behind the lack of a full-fledged Marcus Fenix Collection. Microsoft are smart to scale it back this time around in the form of Gears of War 1 Remastered.

stephen08

I have disliked 343 since they messed up Halo Reach with TU changes and poor playlist management but I gave them the benefit of the doubt and bought Halo 4. That burned up any good will I might have had toward them. Because of that I expected nothing from the Master Chief collection. I feel bad for people who bought the game and worse for people who bought the system for that game and I hope that these people will see fit to join the rest of us in no longer giving 343 any benefit of the doubt. They simply do not deserve it.

VinFTW

LOL Joke, right? MCC shows that porting over a ton of games at once is insanely difficult. No wonder we will only get Gears 1 this year.

It's a lot more in-depth than that. You have to consider engines, the companies involved, the time allotted to porting/developing the collection, etc.

ShogunX

343 are crooks. Snake oil salesman.

And I spent 500$ on trust.

Exactly as you remembered it my balls.

According to other posts on here the main 343 team never even worked on the MCC and most of the work was done by hired companies. Pretty sure the latest patch isn't even done by 343.

RK9039

You'd think Microsoft would be a little more careful with their biggest gaming IP. Really sad, in hoping to pick up an Xbox One for Halo 5 but this has me nervous. No way they'd fuck that up too right? That could be a franchise killer. Halo is competitive and if you can't even compete...

I'm sure they'll find a way.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
sad thing is some massive tech learning will probably take place and benefit games going forward, but halo is proper tarnished now

According to other posts on here the main 343 team never even worked on the MCC and most of the work was done by hired companies. Pretty sure the latest patch isn't even done by 343.

It still says 343 on the tin. The "exactly as you remembered it" was still said by the mouth of 343. Ultimately it's their responsibility.

Bsigg12

LOL Joke, right? MCC shows that porting over a ton of games at once is insanely difficult. No wonder we will only get Gears 1 this year.

Gears is in a somewhat different position being each game was on Unreal Engine where as with MCC they pulled 2 games (well the multiplayer for Halo CE is PC based) from the PC versions and 2 360 games and tried to rebuild the the front and backends to work across all 4. You can see where issues will undoubtedly crop up when the product is on a hard deadline.

VinFTW

The HCS had a pretty amazing S1. Some hiccups but it's gone a long way to bringing competitive Halo back from the dead. S1 finals in particular has been amazing.

I haven't seen the competitive community this alive since Reach. Don't judge based off one online cup out of 10 + 3 LANS in a season.

This is where the OP is misleading.

"Premiere tournament" doesn't make much sense. It's an online cup during a big season including 10 total online cups and 3 LANS.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Then their problem is outsourcing while focusing on Halo 5.

343 needs to stop with the various projects and focus on ONE project at a time.

Top Bottom