• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Sephzilla

I literally stopped giving all fucks about Halo from December 2012 to E3 this year, but now I'm back.

Pretty much the same for me, honestly. I kind of stopped caring about Halo around Reach and really dropped off around 4. I'm glad I did though, it made me appreciate what I missed and made me more hyped for MCC.

On that note, I think MCC is the reason this work week feels so fucking long right now. I know next week is going to fly by due to imminent hype.

HaleStorm

Everytime I'm gone for a period of time, all hell breaks loose.

I thought Halsey's Journal mentioned that she created several copies of Cortana? Am I remembering correctly?

Damn it. I missed something. Where can I see this journal as I am apparently missing a lot of info...

I'm convinced there are a bunch of people here that don't actually like Halo.

I love the Halo universe and lore.

I think that starting with Halo 2 (which I still think was a great game, and is still my favorite Online MP) Bungie wasted so much of their universes potential by not including or talking about anything in the books in any meaningful way. If you only play the games, nothing is said about any other spartans until what, Reach? Halsey is nothing until 4, but was a huge character in the books and very responsible for who John and Cortana are.

It is like Bungie makes the greatest Canvases the world has ever seen, but does nothing with them but finger paint.

RoKKeR

Sanctuary looks really, really good. Great art direction on that map.

Hope we get something cool for tomorrow... they have to end it on a high note right?

The DEFEND and CAPTURE text was really noticeable though... uh.

AlStrong

The best part is when she also acts like a total dumbass for cheap drama i.e. Sword Base cutscene.

Keyes must not have impressed when she said she "had it" when they were in bed together.

I think we all just need to...

LET IT GO!! LET IT GOOOOO!!

sddR5xi.jpg

D:

jem0208

If anyone here is interested in playing Evolve on the X1 I have a spare code.

Thought I might as well ask here before I go to the Evolve thread.

First come, first served.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Shrine looks gorgeous. Damn.

I love the interplay of the ruins, mountains, foliage, water and everything else. Some amazing skyboxes, but the actual detail in the map itself is no slouch either. I love the clean colors, and the way all the wet rocks, and how that mixed with the water makes everything pop.
Yup. I love it.

GrizzNKev

Banned

Something like that.

The lore inconsistencies that haven't been retconned can only be explained by the existence of a Halo multiverse. The MC and Cortana in Halo 4 came from an entirely different timeline. Suddenly everything becomes so clear. The human-forerunner war, the Covie species being anatomically different, MC's armor (I said it was nanomachines but I don't actually believe that), etc. There's no dissonance in a multiverse.

danwarb

Something like that.

The lore inconsistencies that haven't been retconned can only be explained by the existence of a Halo multiverse. The MC and Cortana in Halo 4 came from an entirely different timeline. Suddenly everything becomes so clear.

I would hate that so much.

pacman85

I wonder if the IGN First news tomorrow will have anything to do with the Halo 2 Anniversary documentary that is dropping tomorrow. Only news I have seen about it is the tweet today from Ryan McCaffery that said: Tomorrow: a fun little thing :).
https://twitter.com/DMC_Ryan/status/527845336056741889

I, too would like to know when the Halo Bulletin will drop today as Bravo should have more ranking info on it.

It's not like that isn't obvious, but that doesn't mean I couldn't craft a set of timelines LoZ-style that would put Halo into some sort of harmonic balance.

;)

Yeah, I'm meticulous like that too. I have just kind of given up...I love the story and lore, but it seems like no matter what franchise, consistency gets thrown into the fire at some point. It's a bummer.

HaleStorm

Something like that.

The lore inconsistencies that haven't been retconned can only be explained by the existence of a Halo multiverse. The MC and Cortana in Halo 4 came from an entirely different timeline. Suddenly everything becomes so clear. The human-forerunner war, the Covie species being anatomically different, MC's armor (I said it was nanomachines but I don't actually believe that), etc. There's no dissonance in a multiverse.

The covenant were never billed as one species, they were always sold as a collective, unless you mean between the games.

There have been time travel and pocket dimension themes in various places in the series, so working up to some sort of split reality this late in the series could work. If they end up just yelling surprise, you only played as MC prime in one and two, MC bravo in three, and MC charlie in 4, it will feel like they are just pulling the rug out from under us and saying that everything was a dream all along, start again.

Ein Bear

Something like that.

My explanation is that every single piece of Halo lore since 343 took over has been part of a random simulation Cortana has been running to keep herself entertained whilst she's stuck on the Forward Unto Dawn.

As someone who was super-into all the books and stuff during the Bungie years, everything 343 has done with the storyline makes me want to weep. Halo 4 was far from perfect gameplay-wise, but I'm pretty optimistic that they'll rectify things going forwards. The lore though... that's just irrevocably fucked.

GrizzNKev

Banned
The covenant were never billed as one species, they were always sold as a collective, unless you mean between the games.

There have been time travel and pocket dimension themes in various places in the series, so working up to some sort of split reality this late in the series could work. If they end up just yelling surprise, you only played as MC prime in one and two, MC bravo in three, and MC charlie in 4, it will feel like they are just pulling the rug out from under us and saying that everything was a dream all along, start again.

I meant the anatomical changes from 1-3 to 4. And yeah, I think a split reality would make sense to me and plenty of other people. 343 didn't just give us a tonal shift, they gave us an entirely new Halo universe.

fahz was just goolin dawg :p

My explanation is that every single piece of Halo lore since 343 took over has been part of a random simulation Cortana has been running to keep herself entertained whilst she's stuck on the Forward Unto Dawn.

As someone who was super-into all the books and stuff during the Bungie years, everything 343 has done with the storyline makes me want to weep. Halo 4 was far from perfect gameplay-wise, but I'm pretty optimistic that they'll rectify things going forwards. The lore though... that's just irrevocably fucked.

That's why I'm talking about this now. No reason H4 and its surrounding literature has to undo what was so good about what existed before, sans-Reach. They can coexist in peace if we have a multiverse. The Trilogyverse, The Reachverse, the Reclaimerverse.

Ominym

Banned
Halo 4 doesn't state conclusively that rampancy can be cured, Cortana speculated that Halsey might be able to do it.

I'd rather keep Cortana dead, because sacrifices are meaningless without them being permanent.

I hope they keep her dead so that we can finally get that Master Chief x Dr. Halsey romance we've all be waiting for.

jem0208

Son of a bitch my laptop just got its first dead pixel.

This will bother me until the end of days.

When I bought my current laptop, I noticed it had a dead pixel after less than 1 day. Couldn't be bothered to send it back so I've had to live with it.

It's quite possibly the most annoying thing in existence.

Time to scrap it

Can barely play 10 year old games on Steam with this thing so I was thinking about dumping it anyway.

It just sucks because I don't have any money right now. I was hoping to last until I get my tax return so I can buy a bunch of parts and build a PC.

I think I can grit my teeth and make it through this atrocity.

When I bought my current laptop, I noticed it had a dead pixel after less than 1 day. Couldn't be bothered to send it back so I've had to live with it.

It's quite possibly the most annoying thing in existence.

Dang that blows. Yeah if I remember right I got this and within a week or so I had a dead pixel. Freaked out, restarted it and it was still there. Shut it off, waited a few hours, then turned it back on and the pixel was working again. Haven't had a problem since. Until today.

Really distracting.

MouldyK

I just want us to play as Rodimus Chief in Halo 5 when they kill off John in the epic battle of Agent Locke and John in the 2 chapters titled "One Shall Stand..." and "...One Shall Fall."

Then Master Chief can come back in Halo 7 after fans complain about Rodimus and there is backlash from Optimus' Death.

Titanfall Season Pass is $6.25 for anyone interested. From $24.99 to that, makes me never want to buy a Season Pass early on. Paying for maps is so antiquated IMO.

Ein Bear

That's why I'm talking about this now. No reason H4 and its surrounding literature has to undo what was so good about what existed before, sans-Reach. They can coexist in peace if we have a multiverse. The Trilogyverse, The Reachverse, the Reclaimerverse.

I'm on board with this.

I really doubt it'll happen, but my biggest dream is for Joe Staten to do some serious cleaning up now he's back at Microsoft. They should drag Nylund back from Amazon too whilst they're at it.

wwm0nkey

Titanfall Season Pass is $6.25 for anyone interested. From $24.99 to that, makes me never want to buy a Season Pass early on. Paying for maps is so antiquated IMO.

I really think paid maps will slowly be pushed out in favor of the PvZ, ME3 or BC2 system. Lot of people being boned on season passes so its only a matter of time before people stop buying them.

HaleStorm

I'm on board with this.

I really doubt it'll happen, but my biggest dream is for Joe Staten to do some serious cleaning up now he's back at Microsoft. They should drag Nylund back from Amazon too whilst they're at it.

That would be awesome. They should be hiring novelists on staff and do a whole book, game, book, game rotation with them actually building off of each other instead of the games just doing what ever the hell they want to and the books trying to clean up the mess afterwards.

Booshka

I really think paid maps will slowly be pushed out in favor of the PvZ, ME3 or BC2 system. Lot of people being boned on season passes so its only a matter of time before people stop buying them.

Yep, it ruins the online population too, matchmaking, playlist structure, splintered communities, etc. It's just terrible all around, better to find other ways to monetize your MP that doesn't have such a drastic effect on the population playing it.

Top Bottom