• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
H2 has the worst campaign in the series. Fact.

I've just played the first few levels(on Heroic, because Legendary was nuts), and I think I might agree, surprisingly enough. It just isn't grabbing me, whereas I thoroughly enjoyed replaying Halo CE (Anniversary).

I do remember thinking the Halo 2 story was cool back in the day, or at least I really liked the Arbiter but I dunno if I'll play enough of the campaign to find out if I still care.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Just a few comments from my friends and i last night playing customs:

Friends list app to invite friends is very annoying, too many steps to go thru just to invite friends, wheres the integrated friends list?

To change teams, it takes several clicks just to perform on action, why isnt there a simple left and right on the dpad to change teams?

Customs game settings have to be created before going into a lobby to actually save them, otherwise you have to recreate your settings each time in the lobby and there isnt a save function straight from the lobby.

Party leader or game session leader is randomly given to someone else when theyre invited to your own session that youre a leader of.

I had joined a friends session as he was waiting for matchmaking, it was taking too long, so i left to play campaign, he claimed he joined my session, yet was in a menu waiting as i was playing campaign, no notification at all to either one of us, only way i k ew he was in my session was i heard his voice.

jem0208

I'm starting to get games a lot now, just played Team BRs on Guardian

This game is so good, I'm starting to forgive 343 for the shitty launch.

Join in progress really needs to be added in/fixed for customs. Always throws the "Session full" error upon attempting to join.

Yeah the game is fantastic, just a lot of bugs, and the MM issues don't help.

I've managed a few games since launch, and it really is a breath of fresh air when it works properly, in this era of loadouts/perks/xp-centric shooters. I just refuse to mess with it anymore until I know for sure it's no longer busted, been almost a complete waste of time.

BradC00

Everytime someone says they are getting games i enter matchmaking to see if i can score a game and am left disappointed. Think im gonna wait until the morning.

Akai__

Where do I find the brightness settings in the MCC?

Wished Microsoft would fix the crushed blacks. There are so many spots, where you can't see anything. So many games suffer from it.

Where do I find the brightness settings in the MCC?

Wished Microsoft would fix the crushed blacks. There are so many spots, where you can't see anything. So many games suffer from it.

I was switching back and forth between H2A and Classic, and yeah, some parts of the game are way darker now. I am surprised they didn't included a brightness setting, isn't that always available in Halo games?

I'd also like to see them include some actual audio settings for once, never in the history of the franchise(right?) has that been in.

It takes a long time to download, which could be what is holding people back. Mine took like twelve hours for example.

Nirvana

Just a few comments from my friends and i last night playing customs:

Friends list app to invite friends is very annoying, too many steps to go thru just to invite friends, wheres the integrated friends list?

To change teams, it takes several clicks just to perform on action, why isnt there a simple left and right on the dpad to change teams?

Customs game settings have to be created before going into a lobby to actually save them, otherwise you have to recreate your settings each time in the lobby and there isnt a save function straight from the lobby.

Party leader or game session leader is randomly given to someone else when theyre invited to your own session that youre a leader of.

I had joined a friends session as he was waiting for matchmaking, it was taking too long, so i left to play campaign, he claimed he joined my session, yet was in a menu waiting as i was playing campaign, no notification at all to either one of us, only way i k ew he was in my session was i heard his voice.

All of this. Not sure if it is the MCC UI or just Xbone, but I find the whole thing much more inconvenient in general. The 360 dash was clunky in places, but overall it was an easy interface that pretty much always worked, the Xbone is awful.

|OT 21| Searching for title...

And this should have been the title for sure.

Akai__

I was switching back and forth between H2A and Classic, and yeah, some parts of the game are way darker now. I am surprised they didn't included a brightness setting, isn't that always available in Halo games?

I'd also like to see them include some actual audio settings for once, never in the history of the franchise(right?) has that been in.

Wait, are you saying there are no brightness settings?

Beta vids showed "Loadout" detail what preset weapons you start out with which is fine. But plz for the love of god.. Do not bring back perks abd custom loadouts. AAs are a different thing and in the past now. I hope we can toggle the Spartan Abilities. I want to only test TP 2.0 and a few of the other abilities. If I toggle off Sprint than the latter abilities that require it should be inactive. That way by increase base movement + TP 2.0 (& maybe few active abilities) should make a fine customized balanced game, imo.

jem0208

I know this is probably nigh on heresy to say but...

I don't like Lockdown/Lockout. When playing Slayer at least.

It just tends to devolve into taking potshots at the other team from base to base, it's not particularly fun. It's very difficult to flank anyone because any route is very easy to monitor and then there's also radar. Therefore map movement is massively reduced and you essentially get stuck in the bases. No one can move because as soon as they pop their head out they'll get a bunch of shots at them. And the under pass area is a giant cluster fuck if you meet the enemy there.

It just kinda sucks.

Fuchsdh

I know this is probably nigh on heresy to say but...

I don't like Lockdown/Lockout. When playing Slayer at least.

It just tends to devolve into taking potshots at the other team from base to base, it's not particularly fun. It's very difficult to flank anyone because any route is very easy to monitor and then there's also radar. Therefore map movement is massively reduced and you essentially get stuck in the bases. No one can move because as soon as they pop their head out they'll get a bunch of shots at them. And the under pass area is a giant cluster fuck if you meet the enemy there.

It just kinda sucks.

I've never particularly liked it 4v4 either. It was always much more interesting 2v2 or 3v1 as we played on the TV studio screens back in highschool (for among my third period brethren, my level of play scaled relatively to "god tier so we need to put handicaps on you.")

TTUVAPOR

Banned
All smg start and ar start games need to be removed in matchmaking. Lockout ts smg starts becomes a quest to get brs and whatever team gets them, its basically an auto win. Same goes for ar start games in halo 3, played a ts on construct this morning and my god... Now i remember why i hated ar starts, it was a 50 to 20 fi al scire, other team won. Ridiculous unbalance.

Can we please just do universal br starts in h2 and h3? Ugh.

gAg CruSh3r

I did not see the new OT until now. That art look great, I might use one of them for my phone ;).

Also I wonder if they can add new control scheme?

Nebula

Played a few games then kept getting kicked back to main menu everytime I searched. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Caayn

How's matchmaking this morning?

Is Frank still alive?
Managed to get three matches today. The first a perfectly fine H3 match with equal teams. The second a H2A match where my teammates did literally nothing, I was the only one on my team that got kills >.> And the third match a connection error occurred before the match even started, yet I still got to play the match (alone)....

Search times are still way too long, but at least it seems to find matches today.

Omni

I just got a match made Halo 3 game... Team BRs on Guardian.

Holy shit. Those dedicated servers make so much difference. For the first time playing Halo 3 ever online, I didn't feel disadvantaged. Absolutely amazing. Everything just felt smooth.

I kinda booted someone to see if I could though. Oops. Sorry man xD

TTUVAPOR

Banned

Holy shit. Those dedicated servers make so much difference. For the first time playing Halo 3 ever online, I didn't feel disadvantaged. Absolutely amazing. Everything just felt smooth.

The 60fps helps a lot, i cant imagine playing a 30fps shooter any longer. Which is why i wish all shooters were 60fps, required.

willow ve

Played Halo 3 on LAN a few months ago. Felt great. Excited to try it out on MCC in a few weeks (holiday/black friday sales).

Are all the playlists / maps the most updated versions? By that I mean do they have equipment like flare, etc., removed? Weapon locations in the updated spots?

---------

For those still on the fence. Walmart.com will have a sale all day on Thanksgiving (Nov 27)
$379 Xbox One + Halo MCC + Game of Choice + 12 Month Xbox Live

What's the second game I should get?

TheXbox

do the dedis actually work? Sounds like everyone is saying it's still P2P atm

Omni

Played Halo 3 on LAN a few months ago. Felt great. Excited to try it out on MCC in a few weeks (holiday/black friday sales).

Are all the playlists / maps the most updated versions? By that I mean do they have equipment like flare, etc., removed? Weapon locations in the updated spots?

Flare was in the game I just played, so if it was removed then nope :eek:

do the dedis actually work? Sounds like everyone is saying it's still P2P atm

Either that or it gave me host and everyone was okay with it. Didn't have one instance of people skipping or whatever due to lag. It honestly felt like I was playing a custom game.

Tawpgun

The Master Chief Collection is still a hot mess, Halo 2's campaign is still bad compared to other Halo games. I still will play MCC a lot till Halo 5.

too-bad-its-wrong.jpg

I actually used to think Halo 2 had one of the better Halo campaigns. Rose tinting was at full effect there.

There isn't enough open space sandbox fun in Halo 2 for one.
Fighting the covenant is still fun though, game takes you to interesting locations and it has the best story campaign out of every Halo game, except maybe ODST. But ODST is really only cool for its structure.

But the weapon balance in campaign is all off. Everyone knows headshot weapons are the GOAT but at least the spray and pray guns were viable in every other Halo. In Halo 2 they are utter trash. On Heroic or higher you NEED a headshot weapon. Especially when fighting the brutes or the flood.

Speaking of.....

The Halo 2 Brutes and the Halo 2 flood are some of the worst, most un fun enemies to fight in all of video games. Poor hit detection, inconsistent weapon damage.... I can unload multiple rounds of dual brute plasma rifle into a brute and it will do nothing. Which is a shame when I can't find a headshot weapon.

The flood really only goes down with the sword. Headshot weapons do alrright. Plasma does nothing.

ANd this fuckin blows because after Regret the game takes a huge nose dive down the shitter and the last portion of it has you fighting flood and brutes in narrow combat environments.

Games pretty though. Also the upped resolution is a testament to how well base Halo 2 has withstood the test of time. There were times I was playing through the campaign before I realized I forgot to switch back into anniversary mode.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I got this achievement last night:
"Kill a 343 developer in matchmaking or someone who has this achievement."

I have no idea who I played.

TheXbox

I actually used to think Halo 2 had one of the better Halo campaigns. Rose tinting was at full effect there.

There isn't enough open space sandbox fun in Halo 2 for one.
Fighting the covenant is still fun though, game takes you to interesting locations and it has the best story campaign out of every Halo game, except maybe ODST. But ODST is really only cool for its structure.

But the weapon balance in campaign is all off. Everyone knows headshot weapons are the GOAT but at least the spray and pray guns were viable in every other Halo. In Halo 2 they are utter trash. On Heroic or higher you NEED a headshot weapon. Especially when fighting the brutes or the flood.

Speaking of.....

The Halo 2 Brutes and the Halo 2 flood are some of the worst, most un fun enemies to fight in all of video games. Poor hit detection, inconsistent weapon damage.... I can unload multiple rounds of dual brute plasma rifle into a brute and it will do nothing. Which is a shame when I can't find a headshot weapon.

The flood really only goes down with the sword. Headshot weapons do alrright. Plasma does nothing.

ANd this fuckin blows because after Regret the game takes a huge nose dive down the shitter and the last portion of it has you fighting flood and brutes in narrow combat environments.

Games pretty though. Also the upped resolution is a testament to how well base Halo 2 has withstood the test of time. There were times I was playing through the campaign before I realized I forgot to switch back into anniversary mode.
Halo 2 campaign isn't great. Arbiter levels are shit tier, but also have the best story. Master Chief levels are god tier, but have almost no story aside from rehashing plot beats from Halo: CE. (Minus Cortana drama and fight finishing) Halo 3 and CE dump all over it.

willow ve

Flare was in the game I just played, so if it was removed then nope :eek:

That's really disappointing they're not even using the latest map updates from matchmaking for Halo 3.

Means radar scrambler and flare are still on maps where you can use them to access otherwise impossible to reach areas. Also suggests that updated weapon spawn locations will be missing as well.

Why?

Also - the sustain team on this game is going to have their work cut out for them (is there a sustain team?)

jem0208

New OT is good, and it's a Plywood OT.

We back.

Wall of Shame from the last OT:

Oh man, I spend far too much time here...

It is because the only way to get from base to base is through top middle or bottom middle. It is like a funnel. There is really no flanking route like on Guardian with the man cannons. Take out the man cannons on guardian, and boom, you essentially get Lockout.

Yeah, it's just frustrating. No one can move around unless you really, really commit to a push and that's extremely difficult without communication.

Oh, dear.

I know how you feel...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom