• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

MCC journal, day 4:

Team H2A, quick match on... I lied, not quick. Still waiting on one person. Another guy in the lobby said he waited 20 minutes for BTB. And the match starts after about 5 more minutes. Lockdown, team BR. 4v5, totally unbalanced. We get destroyed.

Upside, the guy I was talking to was a chill dude who was smoking a bowl. A painless devastation.

King Leo

Neo Member
What makes you say this?

Do you mean that you think the final game will be worse than the beta? If so, why?

I do. 343 has a track record of having something good and then screwing it up. The beta was great, but obviously didn't represent the entire multiplayer experience. Think of Halo 4.. Infinity Slayer was its debut gametype and the main focus for its multiplayer. Competitive players only had one playlist, 6 months later, that was pretty much a stripped down version of the game (removal of loadouts, perks, killstreak rewards, ordinance, etc). The same thing happened with Reach (removal of bloom, sprint, loadouts, etc).

What I'm saying is.. I don't want Halo 5 to follow that same pattern. I want the main focus of Halo 5's matchmaking to be Arena-style combat across the board. No having to strip down the game in order to have competitive matches. Here's to hoping they don't return loadouts, perks, ordinance, and all that other casual fluff to the final game. Hell, I'll even take AR starts if it means they won't add any of that stuff.

What's everyone playing now that the beta is over?

I want to go back to MCC but I'm afraid of heart break. Just been playing Destiny, Pix the Cat, GeoWars3 and started Neptunia Re;birth. No PvP games are satisfying me. I miss the beta.

Pez

I can't believe they've broken the game more. Now btb games match you with 16 people, but then when the game starts it's usually 4v4 or the teams are uneven. The game is dropping 6-8 people out of the game. Wtf, 343.

My favorite thing was a team slayer game where Derelict got voted for. Instead of starting the game, MCC dumped everyone into a party with me as the leader. At this point I was confused, but figured "why the hell not" and started a search in the BTB list. Next thing you know, a Derelict load screen pops up, and... it started a game of 8-player FFA? After the game I was still party lead.

I just... I don't... whatever.

lol
I saw one on Waypoint about there being no enemy team.

-Ryn

Banned
MCC journal, day 4:

Team H2A, quick match on... I lied, not quick. Still waiting on one person. Another guy in the lobby said he waited 20 minutes for BTB. And the match starts after about 5 more minutes. Lockdown, team BR. 4v5, totally unbalanced. We get destroyed.

Upside, the guy I was talking to was a chill dude who was smoking a bowl. A painless devastation.
After a crushing defeat, things seem bleek for our Hero.

However all is not lost! For our hero has befriended a Knight of the Blazed Bowl.

What adventures await our Hero!? Find out next time!!

I do. 343 has a track record of having something good and then screwing it up. The beta was great, but obviously didn't represent the entire multiplayer experience. Think of Halo 4.. Infinity Slayer was its debut gametype and the main focus for its multiplayer. Competitive players only had one playlist, 6 months later, that was pretty much a stripped down version of the game (removal of loadouts, perks, killstreak rewards, ordinance, etc). The same thing happened with Reach (removal of bloom, sprint, loadouts, etc).

What I'm saying is.. I don't want Halo 5 to follow that same pattern. I want the main focus of Halo 5's matchmaking to be Arena-style combat across the board. No having to strip down the game in order to have competitive matches. Here's to hoping they don't return loadouts, perks, ordinance, and all that other casual fluff to the final game. Hell, I'll even take AR starts if it means they won't add any of that stuff.
I can understand why your hesitant to trust 343. Especially given... recent events.

I like to think that the beta and all the things they've done with 5, along with other things they've done are a sign they've learned. Hopefully they manage to make the right adjustments and deliver a solid game.

I want to go back to MCC but I'm afraid of heart break. Just been playing Destiny, Pix the Cat, GeoWars3 and started Neptunia Re;birth. No PvP games are satisfying me. I miss the beta.

I finished up with the Evolve Beta today, I think I like it.
I'll give MCC another whirl later.

Aside from that... I dunno, I haven't thought much about it.

Omni

Destiny. Though I didn't really stop...
I'm a bad person.
Co-op is pretty fun. New raid brought some life into the game.

I ran out of patience for the MCC

MCC journal, day 5:

Team H2A. Game found. 4v4 match but someone leaves. Game doesn't start, though! Everyone drops as it matches again. I do too, I'm a lemming! Then Shrine happens after some waiting. Fantastic match, barely won.

Team H2A on Shrine again. Good match, but tragically outgunned after someone left. Pretty sure BTB is broken but searching while taking a smoke break. To be continued....

MCC journal, day 6:

BTB. Returned from smoke break and we had a full group! Everyone voted for 3 plots because it's on the left. Except someone left and it returned to matching, so I backed out. Searching continues...

Edit: pardon the triple post, expected more responses from this eventful journaling.

-Ryn

Banned
MCC journal, day 5:

Team H2A. Game found. 4v4 match but someone leaves. Game doesn't start, though! Everyone drops as it matches again. I do too, I'm a lemming! Then Shrine happens after some waiting. Fantastic match, barely won.

Team H2A on Shrine again. Good match, but tragically outgunned after someone left. Pretty sure BTB is broken but searching while taking a smoke break. To be continued....
After it seems our Hero has finally managed to unite a team of wandering warriors, they are gunned down by the Servers of the Glitch King.

However eventually our Hero comes across the Shrine of the Ancients where he finds a victorious battle.

Will our Hero's triumph continue? Or will the Glitch King being him to his knees...

-Ryn

Banned
MCC journal, day 6:

BTB. Returned from smoke break and we had a full group! Everyone voted for 3 plots because it's on the left. Except someone left and it returned to matching, so I backed out. Searching continues...
While it seemed our Hero had finally started to find a hopeful respite, he soon found that there was much peril still to be endured.

After having assembled a sizable force, he stepped into a Datafall, which separated him and his newfound comrades.

Now our hero must fight to survive as he attempts to search for his lost compatriots. Where will this new road take our Hero?

MCC journal, day 7:

BTB. A match in Uplift that devolved into a 3v6, how fun! Leaving is so prevalent.

BTB again. A match is found. CTF on Avalanche. The game fails to load, showing a "Game Over" screen.

BTB again. This is hopeless, isn't it...

MCC journal, day 8:

BTB. Match on Sidewinder! Vehicle killed me with a twitch. Fell through the map shortly thereafter. Spawned in front of teammate and immediately betrayed. Otherwise a good time.

-Ryn

Banned
MCC journal, day 7:

BTB. A match in Uplift that devolved into a 3v6, how fun! Leaving is so prevalent.

BTB again. A match is found. CTF on Avalanche. The game fails to load, showing a "Game Over" screen.

BTB again. This is hopeless, isn't it...
Unable to reunite with his fellows, our Hero attempts to seek assistance from a passing group. It seems they are willing to help, until an attack from the Servers take out half of the party.

After continued failed attempts to bring together a team, our hero is feeling lost in this seemingly hopeless quest.

Will he carry on? Will the Glitch King ever be defeated? All this and more to come in the continues adventures of our digital Hero!!

Impala26

Unable to reunite with his fellows, our Hero attempts to seek assistance from a passing group. It seems they are willing to help, until an attack from the Servers take out half of the party.

After continued failed attempts to bring together a team, our hero is feeling lost in this seemingly hopeless quest.

Will he carry on? Will the Glitch King ever be defeated? All this and more to come in the continues adventures of our digital Hero!!

This is seriously becoming a better plot than most animes I've seen...

michaeljacksonpopcorn.gif

-Ryn

Banned
MCC journal, day 8:

BTB. Match on Sidewinder! Vehicle killed me with a twitch. Fell through the map shortly thereafter. Spawned in front of teammate and immediately betrayed. Otherwise a good time.
Our Hero, with a burning resolve, continues his quest, eventually traveling into the snowy lands of the Winder. The the canyons and hills are covered from side to side with ice and snow, but our Hero carries on.

A sudden blow from a vehicle known as a Warthog takes our Hero by surprise, knocking him out cold. Eventually our Hero comes to, eventually falling into a world break, no doubt set by the Glitch King. However his time in the land of Wander turns out to be a hopeful one.

With a newfound energy in his heart, our Hero forges on. What awaits in the future!?

Our Hero, with a burning resolve, continues his quest, eventually traveling into the snowy lands of the Winder. The the canyons and hills are covered from side to side with ice and snow, but our Hero carries on.

A sudden blow from a vehicle known as a Warthog takes our Hero by surprise, knocking him out cold. Eventually our Hero comes to, eventually falling into a world break, no doubt set by the Glitch King. However his time in the land of Wander turns out to be a hopeful one.

With a newfound energy in his heart, our Hero forges on. What awaits in the future!?

Purgatory known as Awaiting Privileges.

First game of the patch, 4v4 in H4 playlist. Other team starts to lose and people begin to quit. It was 1v4 at the end. To top it off, the game freezes on the postgame carnage report. Back to Destiny I go, it might not be the best game, but at least it works.

thanks. and when did bungie first hint at halsey and keyes getting together?

IIRC, Halsey's Diary that came with Reach.

First game of the patch, 4v4 in H4 playlist. Other team starts to lose and people begin to quit. It was 1v4 at the end. To top it off, the game freezes on the postgame carnage report. Back to Destiny I go, it might not be the best game, but at least it works.

A forfeit system is something that should be considered.

Nothing stops #QuitTheBuild
Yes but with a tiered quit penalty those disconnects, quits, game quits and dashboard or power off asshats would soon be unable to achieve rank in any meaningful way.

To me most of the offenders for quit are repeat or habitual quitters. Time to make it clear it's not on anymore!

Hell give them huge bans from rank increase, matchmaking and/or a quitters shaming nameplate to boot!

-Ryn

Banned
Vodka, Skittles, Jolly Ranchers, and Spongebob.

Buzzzzzzzz

IIRC, Halsey's Diary that came with Reach.
Um, JOURNAL. Thank you very much. Some people...

lore question

wtf was halsey doing during the games?
Probably eating babies

She was mostly traveling with Kelly. Eventually getting to Onyx and finally the Shield World within.

This is seriously becoming a better plot than most animes I've seen...

michaeljacksonpopcorn.gif
TUNE IN NEXT TIME AS OUR HERO CONTINUES ON A QUEST OF LOVE, BETRAYAL, AND DONGAGE!!

Matches haven't been laggy or hosty. *shrug*

P.S. Appreciating the Pokemon-like narrative, Ryn.
trigun-vash-the-stampede.gif

Honestly, the garbage state of The Master Chief Collection is now more amusing to me than it is frustrating. Two months later, the game is still inexcusably inoperable.

I can't wait for 343's "ultimate explanation" so I can laugh at them even more. They're frickin' clueless, and they think we're just as stupid.

Hey folks, thank you for all submissions so far for the Montage. Some absolutely stellar stuff from all of you!

I will stop accepting clips as of midnight tonight (GMT) and will begin work on it this week.

I can't promise I'll use every clip I've got, but can promise to include at least one clip from everyone.

Hope I can do you guys proud!

How's the latest patch on MCC? Worth me trying to play yet?

Hey folks, thank you for all submissions so far for the Montage. Some absolutely stellar stuff from all of you!

I will stop accepting clips as of midnight tonight (GMT) and will begin work on it this week.

I can't promise I'll use every clip I've got, but can promise to include at least one clip from everyone.

Hope I can do you guys proud!

How's the latest patch on MCC? Worth me trying to play yet?

How do we submit clips? PMs?

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I get your drift.

Personally, if 343 gave us a toggle that makes it look like classic zoom when you scope then I'd just call it zoom. I've always associated ADS with movement penalties and shoving your rifle butt into your nose/faceplate. Automatics getting a boost in accuracy can happen with ADS or Zoom really. As for weapon buffs, those are just special weapon traits (unless it was a buff to all weapons). That's just how I define and differentiate them though. Is it different for you?

I'm not really sure how I feel about autos having zoom now. On the one hand it can give them more use in the sandbox. On the other hand they aren't exactly skillful as you pointed out. Maybe if they had an alt fire when zoomed in it would be better? Not really sure.

lol I really can't get over how dumb it feels to say Smart Scope

Smart scope is just a trendy term they made up and tied it to the lore of Master Chief.

I don't have so much issue with the actual ADS cosmetics...but the weapon buffing is where I have an issue, especially with full-autos. For precision, it makes sense, but for full autos...I don't think it does.

I'm no developer, but I figure it would be costly for 343 to have separate zoom animations for people who want to play with classic zoom and people who want the ADS-style.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I was pondering this concept this morning...HaloGAF, tell me what you think about this.

I don't know how many of you were born in 1980, but I'm 34, and I have some really close gaming friends who are +/- five to six years than me and we all are in this same thought process about FPS games today. We're starting to get bored with them. Now today's teens and early 20 somethings are still enjoying the FPS scene with games like CODAW, Titanfall, etc...but I feel like us older folks who grew up with the dawn of FPS are really starting to feel the downfall of FPS games.

For example, my first actual FPS game was Wolfenstein 3D on my friend's computer, then after that it was Doom 64 on the Nintendo 64, as well as Goldeneye and then Perfect Dark. Then 2001 I got Halo CE. At the same time as Halo CE I was playing Medal of Honor Allied Assault on PC, Day of Defeat on PC, and Counter-strike on PC, then soon after that Call of Duty 1 on PC.

I actually think that because I grew up with those classic FPS games, I'm automatically cringing at today's FPS games. Like, I seriously can't get much enjoyment out of today's FPS games, they bore me. I don't know if it's because they're getting more accessible and easier for the casual gamer, or that I'm just not being challenged enough.

Anyone share this? I think this could be one of the many reasons for our frustrations, at least for people around my age.

I was pondering this concept this morning...HaloGAF, tell me what you think about this.

I don't know how many of you were born in 1980, but I'm 34, and I have some really close gaming friends who are +/- five to six years than me and we all are in this same thought process about FPS games today. We're starting to get bored with them. Now today's teens and early 20 somethings are still enjoying the FPS scene with games like CODAW, Titanfall, etc...but I feel like us older folks who grew up with the dawn of FPS are really starting to feel the downfall of FPS games.

For example, my first actual FPS game was Wolfenstein 3D on my friend's computer, then after that it was Doom 64 on the Nintendo 64, as well as Goldeneye and then Perfect Dark. Then 2001 I got Halo CE. At the same time as Halo CE I was playing Medal of Honor Allied Assault on PC, Day of Defeat on PC, and Counter-strike on PC, then soon after that Call of Duty 1 on PC.

I actually think that because I grew up with those classic FPS games, I'm automatically cringing at today's FPS games. Like, I seriously can't get much enjoyment out of today's FPS games, they bore me. I don't know if it's because they're getting more accessible and easier for the casual gamer, or that I'm just not being challenged enough.

Anyone share this? I think this could be one of the many reasons for our frustrations, at least for people around my age.

Circle of life.

Right now at this moment, COD AW is someones 'Wolfenstein 3D' and then they'll eventually feel like you feel.

Nothing you can do about it, sometimes a change in genre helps.

Top Bottom