• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

DJ Gunner

I was pondering this concept this morning...HaloGAF, tell me what you think about this.

I don't know how many of you were born in 1980, but I'm 34, and I have some really close gaming friends who are +/- five to six years than me and we all are in this same thought process about FPS games today. We're starting to get bored with them. Now today's teens and early 20 somethings are still enjoying the FPS scene with games like CODAW, Titanfall, etc...but I feel like us older folks who grew up with the dawn of FPS are really starting to feel the downfall of FPS games.

For example, my first actual FPS game was Wolfenstein 3D on my friend's computer, then after that it was Doom 64 on the Nintendo 64, as well as Goldeneye and then Perfect Dark. Then 2001 I got Halo CE. At the same time as Halo CE I was playing Medal of Honor Allied Assault on PC, Day of Defeat on PC, and Counter-strike on PC, then soon after that Call of Duty 1 on PC.

I actually think that because I grew up with those classic FPS games, I'm automatically cringing at today's FPS games. Like, I seriously can't get much enjoyment out of today's FPS games, they bore me. I don't know if it's because they're getting more accessible and easier for the casual gamer, or that I'm just not being challenged enough.

Anyone share this? I think this could be one of the many reasons for our frustrations, at least for people around my age.

I'm 40- not sure how much age plays a factor, but I'll share this much.

Halo was the first FPS that hooked me. I had played some Doom and others sparingly over the years but Halo was different. Played for years, yadda yadda. When COD exploded I played MW1 and while it was fun it wasn't much more than something to kill time with. MW2 was a different story- I played alot of that game, got my k/d up to 1.93 when I finally stopped playing. And I did stop playing because after hundreds of hours it started to dawn on me that the game was, in a word, shallow. I was doing the same thing game in and game out, and while most of the time that meant I was going huge, racking up multiple killstreaks and crazy k/d ratios, it lacked any real feeling of accomplishment. All progression was cosmetic. The game boiled down to patrolling routes for clueless or average players that would charge in blindly. It was fun, but it ultimately had no soul, like eating cake for breakfast every day, eventually you want something with more substance.

The primary reason I got so into MW2 in the first place was that I wasn't a big fan of Halo 3- but I kept coming back to it because it at least gave me some sense of depth and also a rank to aspire to.

At this point, every modern FPS- including Halo 4- gives me that same cake-for-breakfast feeling. It's all style, flash, Michael Bay-blockbuster inspired. I won't comment on H5 as I didn't play the beta- but from what I saw watching multiple streams, it seems to be just more of the same. I'm willing to accept that I'm a dinosaur and I'm not the audience for modern FPS games, but it sure makes the broken MCC that much more of a frustration for me.

TTUVAPOR

Banned

Halo was the first FPS that hooked me. I had played some Doom and others sparingly over the years but Halo was different. Played for years, yadda yadda. When COD exploded I played MW1 and while it was fun it wasn't much more than something to kill time with. MW2 was a different story- I played alot of that game, got my k/d up to 1.93 when I finally stopped playing. And I did stop playing because after hundreds of hours it started to dawn on me that the game was, in a word, shallow. I was doing the same thing game in and game out, and while most of the time that meant I was going huge, racking up multiple killstreaks and crazy k/d ratios, it lacked any real feeling of accomplishment. All progression was cosmetic. The game boiled down to patrolling routes for clueless or average players that would charge in blindly. It was fun, but it ultimately had no soul, like eating cake for breakfast every day, eventually you want something with more substance.

The primary reason I got so into MW2 in the first place was that I wasn't a big fan of Halo 3- but I kept coming back to it because it at least gave me some sense of depth and also a rank to aspire to.

At this point, every modern FPS- including Halo 4- gives me that same cake-for-breakfast feeling. It's all style, flash, Michael Bay-blockbuster inspired. I won't comment on H5 as I didn't play the beta- but from what I saw watching multiple streams, it seems to be just more of the same. I'm willing to accept that I'm a dinosaur and I'm not the audience for modern FPS games, but it sure makes the broken MCC that much more of a frustration for me.

Damn man, thanks for sharing that story, it was interesting to read. I like how you describe the games as being shallow...that's a great word to describe them.

I think we view Halo in the same light...it was a shooter with depth. While PC players had their Quake and Counter-strike for team-based competitive shooters, us console kiddos, specifically the Xbox, we had Halo. When Halo 2 and Xbox Live launched, it exploded the competitive scene of Halo.

I know Playstation players have always had SOCOM as their team-based competitive shooter, but nothing really stood up to Halo's competiveness that it offered.

I play many genres...I'm always going to love shooters, but they need depth to be interesting. It's just like how I can't spend much time in today's single player shooter campaigns...Half-life has spoiled me.

Yeah, I'd also prefer number two. I like the longer, sleekness to it, but I also like how the underside evokes a classical era bayonet. Definitely well-fitting to be a Legendary/Elite version of the rifle.

I'd love to see you do a Plasma Rifle/Plasma Repeater concept. Maybe a Legendary version would be like the Covenant (Remnant) equivalent to the SAW? In my head I'm thinking of super fast fire rate similar to the Callisto NTG or Cyclone from Perfect Dark.
Yeah, lots of potential for melee animations! Hm, interesting idea, maybe I'll sketch some out soon.

It definitely shows as it looks like a heavy rifle.
Maybe Version 1 could be its default state but once zoomed it shifts into Version 2? Perhaps in its regular fire mode it has 7 shots but a single shot when zoomed uses the entire clip.

Dick Puncher lmao

Transforming is a really good idea, I'll work with it. Thanks Ryn!

TCKaos

Someone should do a "70 days after launch, Halo: MCC is still fundamentally broken" thread on gaming side.

I still think the fact that this game is such a clusterfuck is newsworthy.

Fuchsdh

Is counter-strike basically the last competitive FPS not become modernized?

Kinda crazy thinking about that.

Yep. But CS is also nowhere near as popular as it once was, too, when it dominated cybercafes and PC tournaments. To that point, though, you could probably ascribe its fall less to other shooter styles, and more to the rise of DotA and then the MOBAs that followed.

Destiny. Though I didn't really stop...
I'm a bad person.
Co-op is pretty fun. New raid brought some life into the game.

I ran out of patience for the MCC
I'm conflicted with Destiny. I want to like it but I also want to dislike it. I wish it had encounter design similar to reach or halo 3, but there's not much for PvE on the market right now so I do have fun.

Makes me wonder what Halo 5 will have in terms of PvE, really hoping Firefight makes a return with improved Spartan ops. If firefight returns I hope they have a flood waves.

And speaking of Flood, I really hope 343 has better infection options. The flood for was cool for a minute, but it missed having diversity if other games' infection.
Yes?

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Yep. But CS is also nowhere near as popular as it once was, too, when it dominated cybercafes and PC tournaments. To that point, though, you could probably ascribe its fall less to other shooter styles, and more to the rise of DotA and then the MOBAs that followed.

I often find myself going on Quake Live these days. I sometimes pay the $8 a month for the pro subscription so I can play any map I want, play the game the way I want, and then sometimes I freeze my sub just because I don't have time to play QL.

QL though seems to be my fall back for anytime I'm disgusted with today's shooters. I just wish I had more friends to play duels with consistently, or even CTF, because CTF in QL is freaking amazing.

DJ Gunner

Man- when it all gets put together like that, it really is mindblowing.

Let's think of what has actually been improved. Search times solo, framerate in CEA campaign (solo), netcode in CE (aside from Anti-Aim). Oh, and we don't have 12/8 players in playlists anymore.

Is there any more?

tootsi666

How popular CS was back in the day then? It's currently dominating PC shooters. There is no competition.

Madness

Keep in mind, the 15gb launch night update is technically a patch as well. Plus, I believe there was a smaller patch that came within 24 hours of launch no? Crazy at how were at 9+ GB of patches with no real end in sight right now.

dwells

Keep in mind, the 15gb launch night update is technically a patch as well. Plus, I believe there was a smaller patch that came within 24 hours of launch no? Crazy at how were at 9+ GB of patches with no real end in sight right now.
I just don't understand how anyone still has any faith left in 343 to do, well, anything. When you try and fail nine plus times over the course of two and a half months to do something, people can't be expected to believe that you'll succeed next time. The first two bullet points in the first update notes (which are both described as "fixed") are still broken.

What is up with everyone's MCC? I've been finding matches really quick right now, without crashes. I guess I jinxed it now.
The Halo 2 Anniversary and Halo 4 playlists seem to "work" in that they get you into games and have less issues, provided you're playing alone. The other playlists not so much. Playing with a party is damn near impossible.

Madness

How popular CS was back in the day then? It's currently dominating PC shooters. There is no competition.

rVMKc2O.jpg

It was pretty dominant, but it ties back to the point that shooters are just not as popular as they were. It's natural. Just like sidescrollers declined, platformers declined, shooters are in a stage of decline. Across the board, every shooter has trouble now. Even Call of Duty has declined.

Destiny, it seems people are playing it not because of its amazing FPS gunplay or multiplayer, but because they're hooked on the loot grind. They need so and so weapon and so and so gear to upgrade.

Overdoziz

Banned
I think CSGO will be alright.

aYqCGLW.png

I'm 42, I totally understand what you mean. I really wish they would fix MCC. There is to much gimmick in modern FPS shooters.

MCC is never going to be 100% functional, I'm wondering when 343 will give up on it.

From a PR a standpoint they aren't. You have not seen a statement from them in some time about MCC. Not one, "We promise to get this game working 100%" Thats part of my issue with all the Halo 5 stuff. NOBODY should be day 1 buying that game. The only impact a consumer has is with their wallet.

So we had weekly patches up until just before Christmas, and not another real patch until a month later. The day after the Halo 5 Beta ended. And it was one of the smallest most ineffective patches yet.

Better yet it's like nobody even tested it once before releasing it. Network stuff may be hard to predict, but it's pretty obvious that map voting is just not beeping. All you need is working ears. Yet nobody at 343 noticed.

"Working through the holidays"
"Separate teams."

Stinkles?

Newlove

Matchmaking still seems a bit rough to me. I waited 10 minutes and couldn't find a game in Team Slayer, so I quit and searched again for another 5 minutes. Then I get in a game finally, it starts loading the map and unsurprisingly the common issue of the map not loading struck. So here I am at 20 minutes, browsing IE while it does its work and I'm still not in a game. Then when I eventually find one, my team are unbearably bad and slowly quit out to the point where there's no reason for me to stay. So I'm not sure if skill based matchmaking is actually a thing or not here but I often end up with bad team-mates who quit out because they're getting destroyed. It's hard to motivate myself to play this game but when it goes well, its fun.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
MCC is a bit better in team slayer, etc. But in Big Team it's slow as hell, and if you have more than 1 person in a group it's even slower.

I love the game when it works, so it sucks that it doesn't work right at all.

So we had weekly patches up until just before Christmas, and not another real patch until a month later. The day after the Halo 5 Beta ended. And it was one of the smallest most ineffective patches yet.

Better yet it's like nobody even tested it once before releasing it. Network stuff may be hard to predict, but it's pretty obvious that map voting is just not beeping. All you need is working ears. Yet nobody at 343 noticed.

"Separate teams."

Stinkles?

Typically with any software development there are big teams and then smaller groups kept on to support the release. I'm sure all the extra resources MS brought on post launch have been sent back where they belong. So whatever post release support team is in place is probably very small compared to the team working on H5. As far as they are concerned, it is in an acceptable state and are just fine tuning.

dwells

"Separate teams."

Stinkles?
"ADS is cosmetic only"
"No penalty for hip fire"
"The vast majority of games are on dedicated servers"
"Team Hardcore at launch"
"The original Halo 2 ranking system"
"14 day Try and Buy"
"That was an early build, it's fixed now"

Whenever 343 says something, just assume the opposite and you'll probably be right.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I think CSGO will be alright.

aYqCGLW.png

It's funny when you look at Twitch, though it's not the entire population of a specific game, it does tell an interesting story about what's popular to watch.

What''s popular to watch also translates to what's popular to play. CSGO is technically behind the times if we were to define what a modern-day shooter is today. This is why we'll never see a proper counter-strike style game come to consoles.

CSGO doesn't have:
Sprint
Aim Down the Sights mechanics/gameplay (please don't post screens of the scoped weapons...that's not the same ADS)
Perks
Killstreaks
Loadout abilities
Player buffs (these would be like, having extra health, extra nades, extra ammo, extra whatever...)
Over the top single player campaign that lasts about +/- six hours
A centralized main character
Auto-aim
In-game items that provide crutch-gameplay or aid the player

When you look at CSGO, you really gotta wonder...why do people play this game? It's the complete opposite of any COD, BF, or Halo. Yet, this game is more than a decade old (nearly 20 years old coming up on 2019, just four more years) and has survived at being the top played FPS on PC.

Now, what's preventing the consoles from having such a game?

Karl2177

It's funny when you look at Twitch, though it's not the entire population of a specific game, it does tell an interesting story about what's popular to watch.

What''s popular to watch also translates to what's popular to play. CSGO is technically behind the times if we were to define what a modern-day shooter is today. This is why we'll never see a proper counter-strike style game come to consoles.

CSGO doesn't have:
Sprint
Aim Down the Sights mechanics/gameplay (please don't post screens of the scoped weapons...that's not the same ADS)
Perks
Killstreaks
Loadout abilities
Player buffs (these would be like, having extra health, extra nades, extra ammo, extra whatever...)
Auto-aim

When you look at CSGO, you really gotta wonder...why do people play this game? It's the complete opposite of any COD, BF, or Halo. Yet, this game is more than a decade old (nearly 20 years old coming up on 2019, just four more years) and has survived at being the top played FPS on PC.

Because the console consumer is different from the PC consumer. Next question.

Overdoziz

Banned

CSGO doesn't have:
Sprint
Perks
Killstreaks
Loadout abilities
Auto-aim

59262477.jpg

TTUVAPOR

Banned

I know that's on Xbox Live Arcade....I've played it...it's horrible. Absolutely ZERO aim-assist on the controller...that will never work on consoles.

EDIT: who here has actually played CSGO on Xbox 360? If you have played and say it's good, you're full of shit.

Akai__

Did anybody do the Halo CE scoring achievements?

My multiplier is currently at x3.17, but that's not enough for Pillar of Autumn. Is that multiplier enough for the other missions? I never had to go above x2.8 for all the other Halo's.

Computer

Tried H2A last night with a friend. It gave us 3 game types on the same map. The worst map ever Warlord. H2A is still 5 vs 5 for some god awful reason. As soon as the game started a player was drooped from the other team. The whole game was very laggy. H2A uses so much bandwidth my music stooped streaming during the game. I have a 100mb connection. After we lost my friends game froze and I was stuck in the post game carnage report with no option to back out. Needless to say we did not play a second game...

Is it just me or is H2A a horrible Halo game? Even without the bugs it just plays like ass to me. Feels like a game that was rushed out the door. It has no personality. I don't get a good feeling from shooting or killing at all.

Omni

Did anybody do the Halo CE scoring achievements?

My multiplier is currently at x3.17, but that's not enough for Pillar of Autumn. Is that multiplier enough for the other missions? I never had to go above x2.8 for all the other Halo's.

I got a lot of them randomly, IIRC. Seemed to be really inconsistent

But the PoA one was just fine on legendary with no skulls. Never really noticed the multiplier though xD

Top Bottom