• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

"ADS is cosmetic only"
"No penalty for hip fire"
"The vast majority of games are on dedicated servers"
"Team Hardcore at launch"
"The original Halo 2 ranking system"
"14 day Try and Buy"
"That was an early build, it's fixed now"

Whenever 343 says something, just assume the opposite and you'll probably be right.

So tests showed that in H5 ADS is factually more accurate than hip fire.
It's obvious to everyone that the vast majority in the MCC are NOT on dedicated servers.
Team Hardcore not at launch.
Original H2 ranking lol okay.
14 day try and buy...wut?
Safe to say it wasnt fixed.

Yeah I guess youre right. :( I didnt realize how much of what he said was BS. Damn. Grain of salt whenever he speaks I guess.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Well there you go.

If the people who made CSGO for the consoles actually put some time and effort into knowing what a basic FPS needs for consoles in regards to controllers...e.g., minimal aim-assist and minimal auto-aim...the game would have been awesome.

No shooter on consoles can survive if it doesn't have those two things I just mentioned.

Impala26

...Warlord... 5 vs 5...

Ten players on that map makes me seriously contemplate rage quitting when it comes up. Could be great for doubles or even 3v3, but 8 players is practically too many let alone 10.

If the people who made CSGO for the consoles actually put some time and effort into knowing what a basic FPS needs for consoles in regards to controllers...e.g., minimal aim-assist and minimal auto-aim...the game would have been awesome.

No shooter on consoles can survive if it doesn't have those two things I just mentioned.

Been awhile since I played, but didn't the X360 port of Team Fortress 2 on The Orange Box have little to no aim assist/auto-aim? I remember that it took some practice to aim well in that game.

Overdoziz

Banned

Sounds pretty gross.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Sounds pretty gross.

What sounds gross?

Ten players on that map makes me seriously contemplate rage quitting when it comes up. Could be great for doubles or even 3v3, but 8 players is practically too many let alone 10.

Been awhile since I played, but didn't the X360 port of Team Fortress 2 on The Orange Box have little to no aim assist/auto-aim? I remember that it took some practice to aim well in that game.

It had very little, and I played that game as well...too bad Valve didn't support it with keeping it up to date and having a solid matchmaking system...playing the game online was a chore, another thing that devs don't seem to get...matchmaking should be a requirement on all console games.

Fuchsdh

Did anybody do the Halo CE scoring achievements?

My multiplier is currently at x3.17, but that's not enough for Pillar of Autumn. Is that multiplier enough for the other missions? I never had to go above x2.8 for all the other Halo's.

The scoring achievements are definitely harder than Halo 3's were. You're better off forgoing most skulls and steamrolling the mission on Heroic or Legendary to get the full par time multiplier. Doing it coop also helps, since deaths aren't a huge point penalty and you don't lose much progress as often.

Madness

Tried H2A last night with a friend. It gave us 3 game types on the same map. The worst map ever Warlord. H2A is still 5 vs 5 for some god awful reason. As soon as the game started a player was drooped from the other team. The whole game was very laggy. H2A uses so much bandwidth my music stooped streaming during the game. I have a 100mb connection. After we lost my friends game froze and I was stuck in the post game carnage report with no option to back out. Needless to say we did not play a second game...

Is it just me or is H2A a horrible Halo game? Even without the bugs it just plays like ass to me. Feels like a game that was rushed out the door. It has no personality. I don't get a good feeling from shooting or killing at all.

Plays much better than Reach or Halo 4 ever did, even the legendary BR's in Halo 4. Before I quit when I got the uneven BTB match, I played an amazing even teams match of BR's on Shrine. It was a close game and really hammered home how much map control and power weapon control mattered. No emphasis on sprint, ADS, thrust and clamber.

I agree it definitely needed more time and maps. H2A always felt like some demo to show off how a next-gen Halo 2 could have looked/played.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
CS:GO was on consoles?

edit: Oh yeah, now I remember. That port was garbage.

Akai__

I got a lot of them randomly, IIRC. Seemed to be really inconsistent

But the PoA one was just fine on legendary with no skulls. Never really noticed the multiplier though xD

Okay, thanks.

On what difficulty did you play the other missiosn, though?

The scoring achievements are definitely harder than Halo 3's were. You're better off forgoing most skulls and steamrolling the mission on Heroic or Legendary to get the full par time multiplier. Doing it coop also helps, since deaths aren't a huge point penalty and you don't lose much progress as often.

We only played the 1st mission on Heroic with a coupple skulls activated and that gave us a x3.17 multiplier. We had arround 14k points both times and the time multiplier was still x3.

Do you think Heroic and a x3.17 multiplier is enough for the other missions? We really don't want to play this more than we have to. :p

Tried H2A last night with a friend. It gave us 3 game types on the same map. The worst map ever Warlord. H2A is still 5 vs 5 for some god awful reason. As soon as the game started a player was drooped from the other team. The whole game was very laggy. H2A uses so much bandwidth my music stooped streaming during the game. I have a 100mb connection. After we lost my friends game froze and I was stuck in the post game carnage report with no option to back out. Needless to say we did not play a second game...

Is it just me or is H2A a horrible Halo game? Even without the bugs it just plays like ass to me. Feels like a game that was rushed out the door. It has no personality. I don't get a good feeling from shooting or killing at all.

I don't know that H2A is a bad game. I think 5v5 needs to go and Warlord and Zenith were terrible choices. Again, it's not getting supported so the fine tuning it needs is ignored because the god damn game doesn't work.

willow ve

"ADS is cosmetic only"
"14 day Try and Buy"

Whenever 343 says something, just assume the opposite and you'll probably be right.

"Feels like Halo"
"Trust us"
"Exactly as you remember"

jem0208

So I'm having an OK time with the MCC, I'm getting games. It's not perfect, the wait is far too long and I've had some uneven games. However I'm playing them, which is an improvement.

That said, I'm bored. I want Halo 5 back.

Computer

So I'm having an OK time with the MCC, I'm getting games. It's not perfect, the wait is far too long and I've had some uneven games. However I'm playing them, which is an improvement.

That said, I'm bored. I want Halo 5 back.

4sho

They should have extended the beta due to the MCC.

Fuchsdh

Okay, thanks.

On what difficulty did you play the other missiosn, though?

We only played the 1st mission on Heroic with a coupple skulls activated and that gave us a x3.17 multiplier. We had arround 14k points both times and the time multiplier was still x3.

Do you think Heroic and a x3.17 multiplier is enough for the other missions? We really don't want to play this more than we have to. :p

I'd double-check and make sure you aren't set to competitive scoring too. Feel like starting with a 3x multiplier and getting the par time should be more than enough.

-Ryn

Banned
Literally dozens of people played it.
DOZENS

The MCC is the promise 343i couldn't keep.
lol

I don't think I've seen that joke made here yet. Woooooooo!!

Yeah, lots of potential for melee animations! Hm, interesting idea, maybe I'll sketch some out soon.

Transforming is a really good idea, I'll work with it. Thanks Ryn!
Glad you liked it.

I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Kawaii as fuck

"ADS is cosmetic only"
It is as weapon buffs and autos being able to zoom are not what defines ADS

There isn't

Dedi's won't do shit if the game itself is having problems. NeoGaf isn't exactly the vast majority of games either.

Due to the crippling state of the MCC. Though that is still a actual broken promise so yeah.

If I recall they said they were building a system similar. Not that it was the same exact ranking system.

"14 day Try and Buy"
This was major bullshit and I've got nothing else to say about it

Apparently it was as far as they knew but ymmv on whether that's legitimate

Replies bolded blah blah

When you look at CSGO, you really gotta wonder...why do people play this game? It's the complete opposite of any COD, BF, or Halo. Yet, this game is more than a decade old (nearly 20 years old coming up on 2019, just four more years) and has survived at being the top played FPS on PC.
Because it's a fun game that does things only to better the game and not because of what's trending on the shooter twitter.

Now, what's preventing the consoles from having such a game?
AAA bullshit

Publishers not willing to support a game unless it meets a minimum number of checks on a list and developers not able to fund a great idea on their own unless they want to go the indie route (which is gaining more credibility as a solid option).

Less than 4 hours remain for those who want to submit clips for the HaloGAF Halo 5 Beta Montage.

Editing and sorting the clips has begun. There may be enough quality clips for two songs worth of montage...maybe...will see how it goes.

If you want in, get your clips over to me by midnight tonight GMT.

jem0208

4sho

They should have extended the beta due to the MCC.

Definitely.

Oh well, I will have to get my thruster fill from Titanfall.
Game is damn good though so I'm not complaining; CTF is amazing on Titanfall. Just goes to show that not slowing your movement speed is a good thing...

Smart scope is just a trendy term they made up and tied it to the lore of Master Chief.

I don't have so much issue with the actual ADS cosmetics...but the weapon buffing is where I have an issue, especially with full-autos. For precision, it makes sense, but for full autos...I don't think it does.

I'm no developer, but I figure it would be costly for 343 to have separate zoom animations for people who want to play with classic zoom and people who want the ADS-style.

This is the second forum I have recognized you on lol. The other being Team Beyond.

it's proximiteh

Impala26

It had very little, and I played that game as well...too bad Valve didn't support it with keeping it up to date and having a solid matchmaking system...playing the game online was a chore, another thing that devs don't seem to get...matchmaking should be a requirement on all console games.

See, growing up I was almost exclusively wedded to consoles for my FPS and action/adventure fixes. PC gaming to me was reserved for basically Myst and Maxis games (later C&C and Civilization games) so I was LTTP with Valve games entirely. The Orange Box was like manna from heaven to me. I sunk many late nights in college playing all the games and later re-playing them for all those wacky achievements. I played TF2 a bunch and I'm still saddened it wasn't supported at all in comparison to the PC version.

The skill gap is real in that game. Wonder how many play the 360 version daily on average now?

#scout4lyfe

dwells

"ADS is cosmetic only"
It is as weapon buffs and autos being able to zoom are not what defines ADS

There isn't

Dedi's won't do shit if the game itself is having problems. NeoGaf isn't exactly the vast majority of games either.

Due to the crippling state of the MCC. Though that is still a actual broken promise so yeah.

If I recall they said they were building a system similar. Not that it was the same exact ranking system.

"14 day Try and Buy"
This was major bullshit and I've got nothing else to say about it

Apparently it was as far as they knew but ymmv on whether that's legitimate

Replies bolded blah blah
Sigh.

• Cosmetic only means that the only change compared to not having it is the aesthetics. Given that now every weapon has a zooming ADS mode you can fire from (change from previous Halos), automatics and other weapons have their accuracy drastically affected by ADS (change from previous Halos), and utilizing ADS is now essential to compete, more than aesthetics are affected and the changes are not cosmetic only. ADS is now a core game element that affects gameplay.
  • pen·al·ty (pen(ə)ltē) - a disadvantage or handicap imposed on a player or team. Players who do not use ADS are at a disadvantage due to the handicap of having reduced accuracy compared to aiming down the sights. Thus, by definition, they are penalized.
  • It would at least fix the game ending early issues that are very common as of late that are caused by the peer to peer host quitting. Given the frequency at which players have seen this, claiming that the "vast majority of games are played on dedicated servers" is misleading at best and a flat-out lie otherwise.
  • The removal of Team Hardcore was quietly mentioned in an update a couple days before launch and before all of the issues were public. It likely was removed because of how broken the game was, acknowledging that 343 knew of the mess before the game was sold to the public.
  • Yes it was, and it set the standard for what 343 thinks of their fans and their stance for coming clean and honestly handling their mistakes.
  • "We are using the ranking system from Halo 2. It is going to be that skill-based ranking system." For some bonus fun, skip to 1:30 - "It's actually just gonna end up with, uh, really, across any Halo to date, just the fastest, fairest matchmaking system you've ever seen."
  • Almost everything was attributed to an "early build." Even the crashing issues at tournaments that persisted from build to build and still at the recent HCS event. It was a cover statement while they tried to figure out what they did wrong.

Also, I nominate "the fastest, fairest, matchmaking system you've ever seen" for the next OT title.

DJ Gunner

"ADS is cosmetic only"
"14 day Try and Buy"

Hehehe, the 14 Day Buy and Play debacle. I'd almost forgotten about that.

That was the biggest load of total bullshit ever.

You had xbox support CONFIRMING it was a mistake, that the map pack access was unlocked for people on accident- then 24 hours later:

"Thank you for participating in our 14 day buy and play program!"

Seriously- at this point how can anyone believe what we're told, whether it's on a forum or through a public announcement. You have people literally making things up to cover corporate ass and it is completely transparent, yet they just keep right on doing it.

dwells

Posts like this are dumb. Problems are not all equal in their complexity to fix.

The thing I find perplexing is no news outlets are giving MS shit over this.
For them to do that, they'd have to continue playing games for more than the two hours it takes for a review, pay attention to the community in the tiniest capacity, care, and be willing to risk those sweet, sweet advertising dollars. Gaming sites are a joke and part of some of the most ridiculous paid-off "journalism" there is.

Less than 4 hours remain for those who want to submit clips for the HaloGAF Halo 5 Beta Montage.

Editing and sorting the clips has begun. There may be enough quality clips for two songs worth of montage...maybe...will see how it goes.

Just in case you missed it, here are mine:

Mostly for the sticky at the end if you want to zoom in on it, but the Sword use is funny too lol

#NoMotionTracker 1
#NoMotionTracker 2

Figured I'll go with something funny and meaningful (#NoMotionTracker is very important to me; it's my entire existenceeeee). If you can, the two motion tracker clips would look nice edited together, otherwise only 2 is fine, and if you could throw in a #NoMotionTracker that pops up when he dies (dramatic effect) or if it's easier on the bottom during the clips that would be great ;]

I miss the beta already. Halo 5 was such a breath of fresh air for me. Halo purists may hate it, but I found it to be a solid 2015 halo game.

I miss the beta already. Halo 5 was such a breath of fresh air for me. Halo purists may hate it, but I found it to be a solid 2015 halo game.

Yeah, sans the movement speed, sprint and ADS on precision weapons I definitely thought it was a step in the right direction for modernizing halo.

TTUVAPOR

Banned

I actually enjoyed it when it was AR/BR starts. I'm excited to see what they do with the powerups because I think that will play a crucial role in the gameplay.

Fighting over a couple power weapons isn't gonna cut it on the maps, especially if they start getting into stalemates like Lockout does...if you're seriously playing to win the game.

-Ryn

Banned
Sigh.

• Cosmetic only means that the only change compared to not having it is the aesthetics. Given that now every weapon has a zooming ADS mode you can fire from (change from previous Halos), automatics and other weapons have their accuracy drastically affected by ADS (change from previous Halos), and utilizing ADS is now essential to compete, more than aesthetics are affected and the changes are not cosmetic only. ADS is now a core game element that affects gameplay.
  • pen·al·ty (pen(ə)ltē) - a disadvantage or handicap imposed on a player or team. Players who do not use ADS are at a disadvantage due to the handicap of having reduced accuracy compared to aiming down the sights. Thus, by definition, they are penalized.
  • It would at least fix the game ending early issues that are very common as of late that are caused by the peer to peer host quitting. Given the frequency at which players have seen this, claiming that the "vast majority of games are played on dedicated servers" is misleading at best and a flat-out lie otherwise.
  • The removal of Team Hardcore was quietly mentioned in an update a couple days before launch and before all of the issues were public. It likely was removed because of how broken the game was, acknowledging that 343 knew of the mess before the game was sold to the public.
  • Yes it was, and it set the standard for what 343 thinks of their fans and their stance for coming clean and honestly handling their mistakes.
  • "We are using the ranking system from Halo 2. It is going to be that skill-based ranking system." For some bonus fun, skip to 1:30 - "It's actually just gonna end up with, uh, really, across any Halo to date, just the fastest, fairest matchmaking system you've ever seen."
  • Almost everything was attributed to an "early build." Even the crashing issues at tournaments that persisted from build to build and still at the recent HCS event. It was a cover statement while they tried to figure out what they did wrong.

Also, I nominate "the fastest, fairest, matchmaking system you've ever seen" for the next OT title.
  • When Bungie added zoom to the SMG I don't recall anybody crying ADS. ADS is no more core to the game or success than zoom and there have been multiple people that played the beta who share that sentiment. Zoom has always given an increase in accuracy for both precision and the SMG (when it was added).

If 343 hadn't added the visual aspect of ADS and just kept Classic Zoom, would anybody here be saying that it's ADS?
  • Explain to me how not scoping now is any more of a handicap than it was before.
  • Fair enough.
  • An interesting point of speculation. I would hope they didn't know however as that would essentially destroy everything they've said about not knowing the game would have such problems. Did they say why in the update?
  • It was a complete crapshoot and an insult to everyone's intelligence.
    However I think they have significantly improved their communication. While it isn't quite on the level of Halo Era Bungie, it is much better (though improving from that shit isn't exactly a heavily qualified accolade).
  • Well damn.
  • Not really sure what to say.
    I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but until we see something showing otherwise (the postmortem hopefully), this is concerning.

Dat burn

Would no weapons on map and using only grenades + spartan abilities would fun for objectives like griffball, ctf, king of the hill???
...ya know... I'm actually not sure... I mean I guess it could be fun but there's still vehicles to think about and how you would counter that. Not that I'd want it to be the default.

Wait do you mean we wouldn't use weapons at all aside from grenades?

Would no weapons on map and using only grenades + spartan abilities would fun for objectives like griffball, ctf, king of the hill???
Not shooting weapons at all you mean or just having what you spawn with?

Either way, I'd hate that. My CoD friend wants nothing more than for 343 to remove Power-ups and power weapons, along with weapons on the map because they like spawning with everything you need to succeed lol

Computer

Imagine Jumping off a high ledge and ground pounding a wort hog to bits for a triple kill. Halo 5 has potential to be amazing.

-Ryn

Banned
Imagine Jumping off a high ledge and ground pounding a wort hog to bits for a triple kill. Halo 5 has potential to be amazing.
This has been one of the things I'm excited to learn about since the first gameplay of the ground pound was shown. How high can we do it from? Can we destroy vehicles? TELL ME!!

Wait was that sarcasm?...

PMd you yesterday! Cant wait to see how it turns out!

Computer

This has been one of the things I'm excited to learn about since the first gameplay of the ground pound was shown. How high can we do it from? Can we destroy vehicles? TELL ME!!

Wait was that sarcasm?...

Not at all. I want this very badly.

-Ryn

Banned
Not at all. I want this very badly.
conan-up-high.gif

Cow

Well I can't get a game in any playlist. I used to be able to get one in team slayer. I wish there was population counters because I think there is literally no one online, in Australia/NZ at least. I think MCC searches by region.

Installed the MCC patch yesterday and run with Halo 4 playlist hoping for some solid netcode or dedis...Oh man did I have fun last night. Once again a solid connection is far and away the most important aspect to a good experience, closely followed by playing with mates. Went solo last night, here's a snapshot of the fun I was having:

1. One of the first games I go 41k 16a 15d and over a 1 minute in the hill
EIsvkl3.jpg

2. Fast paced slayer game on Skyline and lead a team to victory with a killing spree to finish the game:
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/9c4b5145-8c3e-4fbe-bfac-b2d7d7edb39f

3. Snapshot to reclaim the sword and then triple kill enemies to push on to win a KOTH game on Pitfall:
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/e7cba079-2837-4057-b59e-528c4bb65667

4. Extraction overkill with the shotty:
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/b6915570-fcb7-4546-91de-2573ff9f3961

5. KOTH revenge from death with a killtacular:
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/e8866306-30e9-4abe-880c-d9c4dd7e454a

This was the first great night of matchmaking with MCC, literally every game was even teams and a solid connection. So much fun solo and now hopefully some mates in a party will hold together for the next night of MCC fun...

Well I can't get a game in any playlist. I used to be able to get one in team slayer. I wish there was population counters because I think there is literally no one online, in Australia/NZ at least. I think MCC searches by region.

I can't find matches in BTB or Halo 2 classic but Halo 4 was fast games with a solid population when playing from Melbourne last night approx. 10-11.30pm.

Madness

Don't know if I'd be a fan. Warthogs and Banshees normally splatter Spartans as if they're nothing, being able to one hit ground pound kill them would just remind me of armor lock.

Tunavi

Banned
Jumping straight into CEA after playing the covenant level in halo 3, that level is fantastic but holy crap halo 1 is so damn good. Gunplay, atmosphere, elite combat, the remastered graphics with 60 fps too. I get so damn pumped when I play halo 1 hahah

Halo CE is the best Halo all around. This is fact.

What else is fact is the only game that can unite hardcore Halo fans is
Combat Evolved 2
. This is not a joke. This is the way 343 will handle the inevitable controversies over Halo 5 and is their ace in the hole.
Halo Wars 2
will also be hype. Trust me™

Top Bottom