• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuchsdh

The custom controllers are handmade to order by a third party that has to pay the full retail price of the original controller. Not to mention the fact that they're grossly overpriced as well.

Even back at launch when economy of scale hadn't kicked in, the Xbox 360 wireless controller only cost about $10 to manufacture. It was overpriced as well, but the margin was necessary to offset the large loss that they were taking on the console itself.

Assuming that none of their existing manufacturing chain was reusable and that somehow the new controller costs five times as much to manufacture, that's still a gigantic profit margin. It's not like the console itself isn't profitable now, either.

It's grossly overpriced and exploiting the market, plain and simple. The fact that they've put the remappable buttons behind an artificial software barrier really evidences that.

We'll see if it's grossly overpriced soon enough, in which case the price will drop. Econ 101 Dwell, if people want it at that price they can get it.

I don't understand freaking out about this sort of stuff.

shrek

Banned
Yea, Warzone does look pretty terrible. Bad, janky cutscenes. Pelicans look like toys. Random, unfocused gameplay. Just a bunch of spartans running and jumping around randomly spraying at more uninteresting bullet sponge enemies. Looks totally rushed.

Why couldn't we have some huge Battlefield style conquest mode, with flyable pelicans, scarabs, falcons, jets? Why do we end up with this mess?

jem0208

Yea, Warzone does look pretty terrible. Bad, janky cutscenes. Pelicans look like toys. Random, unfocused gameplay. Just a bunch of spartans running and jumping around randomly spraying at more uninteresting bullet sponge enemies. Looks totally rushed.

Why couldn't we have some huge Battlefield style conquest mode, with flyable pelicans, scarabs, falcons, jets? Why do we end up with this mess?

That's a lot of judgement based off of very little footage...

FyreWulff

Also, the objective indicator that Locke creates in the SP demo in everyone's HUD is the objective marker from Halo Reach / 4's Forge

nice touch

-Ryn

Banned
As long as the campaign doesn't tell me to use a specific weapon to kill thing and then tell me exactly where to kill thing, then never have to do something like that ever in the campaign again, I think we'll be good.

I hate stuff. Please don't turn into a set piece extravaganza Halo...

CliQ

Now I know what I saw is not always translated well to what we actually see/play but the Spartans in the Warzone trailer looked like little plastic action figures. I'm sure it will be fun but didn't feel as grown up as some of the other games.

Madness

This could end up working in the long run. The casuals who often plagued BTB and Team Slayer can now play in Warzone leaving pure PvP for Arena. But you never know, if the mode is a hit, that could pretty much relegate PvP to niche mode.

I'm excited to try it. It's like BTB meets Firefight/Invasion. Maybe when I'm done getting losses in the junk metal bronze/silver tiers I'll play Warzone just to have fun. In Reach I'd always end a lot of multi-player with a nice relaxing round of Gruntpocalypse on Corvette.

CliQ

This could end up working in the long run. The casuals who often plagued BTB and Team Slayer can now play in Warzone leaving pure PvP for Arena. But you never know, if the mode is a hit, that could pretty much relegate PvP to niche mode.

I'm excited to try it. It's like BTB meets Firefight/Invasion. Maybe when I'm done getting losses in the junk metal bronze/silver tiers I'll play Warzone just to have fun. In Reach I'd always end a lot of multi-player with a nice relaxing round of Gruntpocalypse on Corvette.

Seems like they took inspiration from MOBA games/League of Legends.

-Ryn

Banned
Now I know what I saw is not always translated well to what we actually see/play but the Spartans in the Warzone trailer looked like little plastic action figures. I'm sure it will be fun but didn't feel as grown up as some of the other games.
I love that there's more colors now but I must agree that everything in Warzone seemed... off. Very flat looking. I need to watch the footage again though.

Fuchsdh

I love that there's more colors now but I must agree that everything in Warzone seemed... off. Very flat looking. I need to watch the footage again though.

I definitely think they've reduced things like specularity on a lot of surfaces—the ghost for example seems very matte. On the other hand the Spartan's visors pop significantly, so It think it's less quality versus how much there is.

Madness

24 players though plus the larger maps and the enemy AI. It's inevitable it was going to see a visual downgrade. I thought I noticed the Spartans looked washed out compared to how they looked in regular 4v4.

Madness

Does anyone really care about a pop counter?

Hell yes. Grow some grapefruits and accept that some people will make posts or threads about declining population or criticize you. But I need to see how many players are in which playlist. It should've been in MCC day one.

Edit: don't mean you jem, but developers.

-Ryn

Banned
I definitely think they've reduced things like specularity on a lot of surfaces—the ghost for example seems very matte. On the other hand the Spartan's visors pop significantly, so It think it's less quality versus how much there is.
Yeah that sounds about right.

Speaking of the Ghost, I wonder if that's a redesign or another type. That thing looks very different.

I'm finding the lack of a mention of a population counter disturbing.

Titanfall can do it, you can do it.
Was it not in some footage where it should've been?

singhr1

Your face looks Halo Online as hell.

Gotta say, enjoying the Daily more than the conference, so far. The UI looks... interesting.

Have you, like, not been paying attention for the past few months, or...?

+ Fast is most important I think.
+ Currently playing + recents + pins in home screen (should get its own section?)
+ Activity feed easy to get to
+ Quick access menu
+ Clean UI

Funky Banshee design. I like

h5-guardians-warzone-arc-water-wall-41d8ac657a364350ac5061f8556fb67a.jpg

Computer

The H5 presentation of E3 was very underwhelming. Little was shown with no details. I was expecting to see some kind of new spartan ops or fire fight. A new MP mode in a Halo game is a given. They did not do a good job of making H5 look like a epic game.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Why would they talk about a population counter at E3, lol. There's bigger fish to fry.

Just caught up. In terms of spectacle and visual event that campaign demo looked great. Beautiful lighting. I haven't followed any of the hunt the truth stuff and glanced over the GI reveal; the story actually looks half compelling this time around and the squad element has the potential to be interesting. To me, this looked much better than the Didact rolling down the hill in a giant kill ball. Promethean's are still generic sci fi tat though.

I replayed the vidmaster achievement (finish H3 last level on Ghosts) recently and was reminded what a riot 4 player co op can be when its not too easy and something's on the line. Warzone could be something fresh and unique for Halo if they get the balance right. see they didn't learn their lesson with the plasma pistol spawn though. Still hate the mantis. So very happy all the stupid load out/kill streak stuff appears to be confined to this mode, which means BTB will hopefully not have load outs.

Computron

emulated dashboard is loads faster then the real xbox one's dash

deleteing 100+ messages took less than a minute. same would take like 10 on the one

But they have 2 employees who spend 90% of their time with MLG wannabes. They go out of their way to pay for tournaments for the wannabes (even MLG doesn't want Halo these days). They get a lead developer to court these people in the Beyond forums, despite the torrent of direct and personal abuse thrown at 343 employees by folks there.

Obviously 99% of the entire Halo audience are MLG babies, why else would they spend a disproportionate amount of time and money on them?

Instead of using a beta to test the brand new online experience with untested networked AI and new modes and scale, they instead focus on the Arena mode for the MLG babies. Obvious the baby's mode is more important to test.

MLG babies love the shit out of COD. COD single player is almost entirely scripted with cinematic moments. Now Halo has all that too.

Trust them. Etc.

Embarrassing post if not trol

OK I get it, it is basically Alterac Valley/Wintergrasp/Ashran.

For those who don't know they are the big ass PvP battlefields in World of Warcraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom