• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Shadders

Gotta work harder, I got spoiled bad :(

Appreciate what you're doing that though, being spoiled sucks :(

It's such a deflating feeling isn't it? Some cunt just posted the ending to the game in the comments on my site. I've removed it, but couldn't do so without reading it. I've disabled comments now to protect readers.

Fuck.

Yea the game looks OK but imagine how much cooler it would be with all dat stuff!

Man I really wanna play without MX or GB or NZ or DE grabbing host and ruining the games.

Man I really wanna make my own control scheme based on exactly how I like to play.

Man I really want a great spectator mode for streamers and events to really showcase what a great game it will be.

Man if I do something really amazing I want to be able to switch over to theatre and show my party that moment.

Man I want to make great Forge maps but noone will ever know where the hell you are because colors still aren't implemented.

Man I really want a website that doesn't take forever to load and use Silverlight

Things could be better. Thats why we need to keep bitching.

Omni

Just watched the "Making Halo 4 Infinity Multiplayer" video. Love it. Spartan Ops looks amazing. Kinda worried on how big those downloads are going to be (I get 15GB of bandwidth a month here in Aus)... but still amazing. <3

Ryaaan14

Banned
I'm not trying to be negative for the sake of being negative. The game looks really good and I look forward to playing but I've just been disappointed/frustrated that things that have been begged for countless times by masses aren't in the game while we were told to trust them when asked.

I think you're confusing the masses with the vocal minority.

Blah

Things could be better. Thats why we need to keep bitching.

I used to be able to see past your irony.

El_Chino

There are so many simple things that should have been in this game but are not.

-Dedicated servers
-Spectator mode
-forge color
-diverse custom gametypes
-REAL EFFIN RANKS
-Good launch playlists
-flags not dripping with glue
RUbxH.gif

When it comes down to the base gameplay/gunplay the game looks really solid, but the tools built around the gameplay are disappointing.

image.png

Talents

Banned
Only 2 of these have to do with Gameplay.

Good Job 343.

I count 5.

No dedicated servers = worse connection which will affect my performance.
No ranking system = will make me not try as hard as I would if there was a ranking system in place.
No sprint disabling = self explanatory
No 60 fps = honestly this doesn't really affect me much, I don't care about 60 fps but I can see how it would affect gameplay (kind of)
No flag juggling = also self explanatory.

Here is what I have collected for rank progression (the second column is the XP required after achieving the previous rank) :

uG2kWXeGSz.png

Is anybody able to find a pattern, or is this thing as "random" as Reach's is ?

Looks like random to me.

lvl 7 -> 8 = 420 xp
lvl 8 -> 9 = 1100-+ xp
lvl 12 ->13 = 520 xp

Think its is more unlocks based then lvl based.
So better unlocks on level up need more exp.

I count 5.

No ranking system = will make me not try as hard as I would if there was a ranking system in place.
No 60 fps = honestly this doesn't really affect me much, I don't care about 60 fps but I can see how it would affect gameplay (kind of)

Yeah. Wow... I laugh at your misery. I mean, I hope you enjoy the game, I really do, but come on... This is horse shit.

Since when was HaloGAF big on Assault?

Since crying about everything became a big thing on HaloGAF.

Sai-kun

Banned
I count 5.

how do you enjoy anything in life???

Sprint toggle is a silly request. One of Reach's problems was wildly different experiences in different contexts, and maps that had to be built for wildly different player traits. I salute 343 for sticking to their guns on this.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Yeah. Wow... I laugh at your misery. I mean, I hope you enjoy the game, I really do, but come on... This is horse shit.

It is and it isn't.

A lot of people put themselves under serious pressure to protect their e-peen. But people who play social are just playing to fuck around.

That's pretty much been proven fact by competitive HaloGAF. So his argument does stand true.

Does anybody know if there are any physics at all on the flag? I know you can't drop it, but what happens when you get killed with it?

Personally I'm hoping that you automatically throw it in the direction of your momentum, so your teammate or enemy is forced to carry the flag. Those will be hilarious times.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Does anybody know if there are any physics at all on the flag? I know you can't drop it, but what happens when you get killed with it?

Personally I'm hoping that you automatically throw it in the direction of your momentum, so your teammate or enemy is forced to carry the flag. Those will be hilarious times.

Your enemy can't carry their flag.

And I would guess it's pretty likely it's affected by momentum.

Talents

Banned

Not really, it's the truth. That's the reason I try much harder on Halo 3 MLG and use my mic to call out, than in Reach's MLG where I lay down, play much further away from my tv, watch youtube, and don't use my mic.

stephen08

Let's be honest, the only reason people want a ranking system is for a means of declaring themselves better than other players. This is evident by all the disinterest arena took in and the flat out broken ranking system Halo 3 had.

It's about prestige. No one cares where they fall on the skill spectrum unless they are at the top. The truth of it is though anyone you play with will form their own opinions when they play you anyway.

EDIT:
Not really, it's the truth. That's the reason I try much harder on Halo 3 MLG and use my mic to call out, than in Reach's MLG where I lay down, play much further away from my tv, watch youtube, and don't use my mic.

I'm glad you get so much out of an image and number adjacent to your name.

It is and it isn't.

A lot of people put themselves under serious pressure to protect their e-peen. But people who play social are just playing to fuck around.

That's pretty much been proven fact by competitive HaloGAF. So his argument does stand true.

I don't see how having a crap ton of stats post-game (and in-game, with that new scoring system) and on Waypoint (as well as better skill-based matching) makes a game worse. To me, those stats are way more important than some less-than-ideal algorithm that turns all that into one number. Sure, they could have come up with some sort of "rank" that's somewhat based on your overall skill, but come on... How does that make you not try as hard? That 1-50 rank system in 2 and 3 was the biggest lie in matchmaking.

Whatever, either way, people can cry about what they want. Just be classy about it is all... I'm just not keen on hopping on the latest grasp-at-straws salt brigade. I'll be having fun enjoying the shit out of the game despite it's subjective flaws.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Let's be honest, the only reason people want a ranking system is for a means of declaring themselves better than other players. This is evident by all the disinterest arena took in and the flat out broken ranking system Halo 3 had.

It's about prestige. No one cares where they fall on the skill spectrum unless they are at the top. The truth of it is though anyone you play with will form their own opinions when they play you anyway.

EDIT:

I'm glad you get so much out of an image and number adjacent to your name.

This this this.

The entire purpose of ranked gameplay was to match against players in your skillrange. As long as there's a system in place that gets CLOSE to the accuracy with pairing against people with boosted and bought 50's, it's a success. But without that shiny number people don't feel special.

Elros

Looks like random to me.

lvl 7 -> 8 = 420 xp
lvl 8 -> 9 = 1100-+ xp
lvl 12 ->13 = 520 xp

Think its is more unlocks based then lvl based.
So better unlocks on level up need more exp.

Yep, the more I think about it, the more it doesn't seems to be based on the lvl.

Or maybe it's partially regular, and features wider gaps for specific ranks (due to unlocks or other things).

CyReN

This this this.

The entire purpose of ranked gameplay was to match against players in your skillrange. As long as there's a system in place that gets CLOSE to the accuracy with pairing against people with boosted and bought 50's, it's a success. But without that shiny number people don't feel special.

They want a double insurance with visual, yea we can get matched up with others of our skill but how long does that take to level out? I'm not going to pretend I know their system but I will say that when I played 45-50 in Halo 3 there was no doubt the majority has experience to be at that tier.

The thing that people like to assume is that we are assholes, that we want to get a level 50 to tell you how bad you are at the game and how big our penis is which isn't the case. It's just ignorance at that point, are their asssholes that brag? of course but that's with any community or playlist.

We are a competitive crowd, it's our nature.

I do believe 343 is getting a lot of flak from what Bungie delivered with Reach which sucks. Anyways time will tell, 3 weeks guys. <3

FyreWulff

AggroCragmire

That's where the map actually got it's name :lol

Hey guys, remember when they said that the discs are pretty much jam packed with content and probably have no extra space at all?

Maybe Assault isn't on disc but that doesn't mean it can't be downloaded via playlists. Anniversary Slayer anyone?

I must be the only one that notices the new 'oddball' object looks like it could theoretically be able to explode.. if they were to say, script it to do so after being planted on a stand, functionality that's already been on display.. It should be noted that in Reach, they had to explicitly script the bomb explosion in Megalo. I wouldn't think they'd leave out being able to generate explosions via whatever their scripts are called now.

stephen08

They want a double insurance with visual, yea we can get matched up with others of our skill but how long does that take to level out? I'm not going to pretend I know their system but I will say that when I played 45-50 in Halo 3 there was no doubt the majority has experience to be at that tier.

The thing that people like to assume is that we are assholes, that we want to get a level 50 to tell you how bad you are at the game and how big our penis is which isn't the case. It's just ignorance at that point, are their asssholes that brag? of course but that's with any community or playlist.

We are a competitive crowd, it's our nature.

I do believe 343 is getting a lot of flak from what Bungie delivered with Reach which sucks. Anyways time will tell, 3 weeks guys. <3

This was the attitude Arena was trying to cater towards. Arena definitely had flaws with its structuring but if what people want is a true representation of skill then they should be clamoring more for an Arena style ranking system than the oft manipulated Halo 3 system. That's not what the majority of skill based rank enthusiasts want though. Most posts that discuss a ranking system always mention 1-50.

So I guess this is the lobby.
Kind of weird to include all those things together. Is theater not compatible with Campaign now or something?

TheOddOne

Kind of weird to include all those things together. Is theater not compatible with Campaign now or something?
Theater was confirmed for singleplayer too. My guess is that they wanted to seperate the two so it's easier for people to differentiate from single- and multiplayer.

FyreWulff

Gametypes that existed in Reach at launch

Slayer
CTF
Assault
Infection
Oddball + Hot Potato
Territories
Stockpile
Invasion
Headhunter
Race

Gametypes released via new scripts after launch
Bro Slayer
Invasion Skirmish
Alpha Zombie (returned from Halo 3)
Hogball
Haloball
Speedpile
Speedflag
Team Hotshot
3 Flag
Rocket Race
Power Slayer

Half of Reach's gametypes (not counting TU) didn't exist on the disc or at launch. Just a bit of perspective.

Only maps that have struck me as decent..

+Solace
+Haven
+Ragnarok (will probably be tarnished by the mantis)
+Vortex
+Abandon (barely)
+Adrift (barely)

Wait, what? Have you played the game? Please don't tell me you made that post based on videos you've seen.

There's been a lot of drive-by criticisms in this thread over the night. They don't help anyone, and they don't make for good reading.

Shadders

Only maps that have struck me as decent..

+Solace
+Haven
+Ragnarok (will probably be tarnished by the mantis)
+Vortex
+Abandon (barely)
+Adrift (barely)

Hope the default maps for the forge maps are any good.

Adrift is a really good map, I've enjoyed every game I've had on it. Of the maps I've played (Haven, Adrift, Longbow, Ragnarok, Complex, Exile) the only one I didn't enjoy was Longbow.
The selection of good maps at launch is streets ahead of Reach.

S1kkZ

what the hell is going on in the mp vidoc thread in the gaming section? killzone and uncharted fanboys already brought the screenshts/gifs?
black ops 2 is more of a halo game than halo 4....oh boy.

Outside Halo 4 talk.

What the fuck Microsoft! Thanks to a very generous Halogaffer I received Halo Reach DD, I download it and guess what? The game is in French! How can this even happen? Belgium is a bilingual country yes, Dutch is the most spoken language here yes. I had my 360 system language on English aswel. So why do you give me the French version of the game?

Gui_PT

Outside Halo 4 talk.

What the fuck Microsoft! Thanks to a very generous Halogaffer I received Halo Reach DD, I download it and guess what? The game is in French! How can this even happen? Belgium is a bilingual country yes, Dutch is the most spoken language here yes. I had my 360 system language on English aswel. So why do you give me the French version of the game?

Bienvenue sur Reach

...I don't even

It is and it isn't.

The part that's horseshit is where he said "it makes you not try as hard." No, it doesn't make you do that, that's a conscious decision on your part.

You further cement yourself as probably the worst poster in HaloGAF right now.

The text aswel as the subtitles are English, but the voices are all French. How can this even happen? Is there a language pack on the Marketplace?

No. People can be content without fawning over something, just as people can be critical without being whiny crybabies.

A significant portion of the praise i see is blatant ass kissing. We shouldn't call 343 cunts, but we need to critically think for ourselves and Really wait until we play to form concrete opinions.

gaming_noob

Outside Halo 4 talk.

Whoa that blows.

I'd also like to rant...My bro picked up a new 360 Slim for me in preparation for Halo 4 (I've been using his gamertag all these years) and when I went in to create a new account, it told me my Windows LIVE ID was already registered...my guess was that I might've quit during mid-registration years ago and linked my Windows LIVE ID to it... they gave me the name "Testuking"...and when I tried to change it it told me it costs $10! WTF I'm just going to keep that :(

TCKaos

I've been working 14+ hour days on the weekend (i.e. in my "free time") trying to remove links so innocent Halo fans aren't spoiled. So, no I don't always have time to feed on every sentence that gets typed by every member of this forum.

Fuck.

Doing God's work.

Top Bottom