• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

broony

Some campaign / spartan ops questions that I don't know whether they have been answered already in interviews and magazines:

• Is there a drop in drop out feature? Can you start a spartan ops or campaign mission and have someone join part way through without having to exit and start again? What happens when someone leaves the game?
  • Is there rally points in campaign so you can start a mission half way through and does doing this stop you getting mission completion achievements? So play part 1/3 and 2/3, quit, load 3/3 and complete.
  • Is the campaign / spartan ops network model still different from the multiplayer model? (I expect it is). If so have they talked about what, if any, improvements they have made?
  • In spartan ops can you switch loadout half way through a mission when you die or do you pick a loadout at the start of the mission and then stick with it when you respawn? If you unlock new AAs/weapons/whatever, can you edit you loadout half way through a mission?
  • Have they given any indication of spartan ops episode file size? How much space will 10 weeks content take up on my HDD approximately?
  • Does theatre support Spartan Ops and Campaign?
  • What day of the week will Spartan Ops episodes be available?
  • Will Episode 1 of Spartan Ops be available on release day?
  • Will there be an option to download each week's spartan ops episode through the xbox.com marketplace?
  • In the spartan ops matchmaking, what options do you get for searching? Can you search just by episode or by mission? Can you search by difficulty? Do you have social filters like talkative / no mic?
  • Can you party chat within campaign / spartan ops or is there only the game channel?

Any help appreciated.

A significant portion of the praise i see is blatant ass kissing. We shouldn't call 343 cunts, but we need to critically think for ourselves and Really wait until we play to form concrete opinions.

Real Talk: 343 are lazy. They need to hire more people to put the features we want into the game. There is no reason besides laziness that we don't have dedis, we don't have forge colours, we don't have 60fps and we have a sticky flag.

Hire juices.

Or how about we bitch about the questions 343 choose to answer in this thread? That's totally reasonable right? As consumers, we totally deserve to do that, right?

Thread's a cesspool. So much anger. Juices believes this bitching is going to make Halo 5 better, bless him. He actually believes calling them all lazy is going to make the Halo he loves better.

What do I know? Well, I know I have yet to not like a halo game. Some peeps here would call that basing things on past experience. I know each game has its own shortcomings.

This entitled attitude is hit and miss. As a consumer you can totally demand more but when you don't get it that's where you should stop. This company isn't looking to cater to my needs as a consumer therefore I shall cease to support them. Sounds like what you'd expect to learn in school. I must have missed the lesson on bitching about their product pre and post release as being expected of a concerned customer. There is a pretty diverse market here. Why people should be tied to this franchise over anything besides entertainment is a weird concept to me.

Everyone can say whatever they feel. They're open to having their opinions discussed. Nothing needs dropping Over.

Fuchsdh

Real Talk: 343 are lazy. They need to hire more people to put the features we want into the game. There is no reason besides laziness that we don't have dedis, we don't have forge colours, we don't have 60fps and we have a sticky flag.

Hire juices.

Or how about we bitch about the questions 343 choose to answer in this thread? That's totally reasonable right? As consumers, we totally deserve to do that, right?

Thread's a cesspool. So much anger. Juices believes this bitching is going to make Halo 5 better, bless him. He actually believes calling them all lazy is going to make the Halo he loves better.

What do I know? Well, I know I have yet to not like a halo game. Some peeps here would call that basing things on past experience. I know each game has its own shortcomings.

This entitled attitude is hit and miss. As a consumer you can totally demand more but when you don't get it that's where you should stop. This company isn't looking to cater to my needs as a consumer therefore I shall cease to support them. Sounds like what you'd expect to learn in school. I must have missed the lesson on bitching about their product pre and post release as being expected of a concerned customer. There is a pretty diverse market here. Why people should be tied to this franchise over anything besides entertainment is a weird concept to me.

Everyone can say whatever they feel. They're open to having their opinions discussed. Nothing needs dropping Over.

How about something simpler? You have every right to demand what you want out of a game, however you can't really expect them to cater to every fan's every whim. Ultimately, it comes down to "I think my ideas are better", and maybe they are, but the only way to get a game you want to play is ultimately to make it yourself. This is a mass market product designed to appeal to lots of people.

Your power is in purchasing, or not purchasing. The fact that so many people here are still going to be day one is the fundamental issue I have with this--"I'll complain, but I'm still buying it". Yeah, stop playing it two weeks later, but you've already "given away" a lot of your vote.

Omni

Is there rally points in campaign so you can start a mission half way through and does doing this stop you getting mission completion achievements? So play part 1/3 and 2/3, quit, load 3/3 and complete.
Yeah there are. In Reach I'm pretty sure you needed to go through completely to get the achievements so I doubt it's different. Not sure why you wouldn't just "continue" though.

Is the campaign / spartan ops network model still different from the multiplayer model? (I expect it is). If so have they talked about what, if any, improvements they have made?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but campaign and SO will be using a synchronous network model. Which, as you already know, is more taxing on bandwidth than multiplayer. They haven't discussed improvements that I know of.

Does theatre support Spartan Ops and Campaign?
Campaign? Yes. Not syre about SO.

Can you party chat within campaign / spartan ops or is there only the game channel?
Don't see why not.

That's all I know, haha.

Your power is in purchasing, or not purchasing. The fact that so many people here are still going to be day one is the fundamental issue I have with this--"I'll complain, but I'm still buying it". Yeah, stop playing it two weeks later, but you've already "given away" a lot of your vote.
Disagree strongly, as an enthusiast fan, that purchasing power is severly weakened, (and 343 and other companies know this), because deep down all that fan wants is to like and have fun with the game. So called 'Team Downer' would love nothing more than to be suprised and end up loving the game.
So it's in 343's hands on how they treat these enthusiast fans.

Of course anyone who waves their opinions around in an assholey way can be dealt with like the assholes they are. Especially ignorable when you know who is and isn't part of HaloGAF.

Omni

The horror lag in anniversary co-op doesn't fill me with confidence.

Well to be fair, that's what happens when you limit yourself to not changing the game engine (Which wasn't designed for online play at all). To be honest, I'm surprised that Sabre got it working at all.

Well to be fair, that's what happens when you limit yourself to not changing the game engine (Which wasn't designed for online play at all). To be honest, I'm surprised that Sabre got it working at all.
Is that an assumption or have you got a quote for that? Then what'd be Reach's excuse?

Duji

The more likely non-smartass answer to that would be the same reason why dual-wielding couldn't be toggled. It's a core mechanic for the game, it's not a variable anymore. Maps and gameplay were built around Sprint this time around just as the dual-wieldable weapons were nerfed to shit in Halo 2.

Dual-wielding in H3 was easily dealt with by creating maps that feature no more than 1 of the dual-wieldable weapons. MLG wasn't forced to include this mechanic in their gametypes in any way.

Sprint in H4, on the other hand, is bound to a single button and can not be avoided using any custom game option or worked around like with DW.

Also, the MLG community has shown that they prefer Halo without sprint. 343 adding an option to render the sprint button useless -- although not the best way to add a toggle -- would've made many people happy. The Grifball enthusiasts get to have all sorts of options for their game, so why can't the competitive community get some very elementary options for themselves?

Why should we be against more options at all for that matter? Yes, we all disliked how there were way too many playlists with different settings (100% bloom & AAs, 85% bloom & AAs, 85% bloom & 3sk magnum & no AAs, and finally ZB & AAs). The problem is that the playlist designers were creating far too many gametypes for matchmaking, not at the fact that options existed in the first place. The matchmaking team should be focused on giving us as few gametypes as possible, all of which being very finely tuned. The players, on the other hand, should be given as much freedom as possible so that they can do as they please in custom games.

I think it was because the game was running two engines side by side at the same time.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So how's HaloGaf this morning?

Oh, no flag dropping sucks, no assault sucks (even though I hate it), Forge is still grey, I can't diabeetus myself with GameFuel yet because I see none, and Halo 4 isn't out yet. Also SpOps will be horrible if there is any kind of input lag.

Better?

Shadders

Well to be fair, that's what happens when you limit yourself to not changing the game engine at all (Which wasn't designed for online play at all). To be honest, I'm surprised that got it working at all.

Well you've always been able to play Halo co-op online by tunnelling with far less lag than Anni.

I appreciate it's not the same thing, but tunneling a system link game is hardly optimal conditions.

TCKaos

You also have to realize that Halo CE wasn't built with anything like that in mind. It was added in ten years after the fact on a shoestring budget.

Has anyone else been listening to Master Chief Radio? Listened to it during my workout yesterday and it was pretty awesome. I needed something to get me in the mood for running and then suddenly Don't stop me nooooooooow~!
I'm havin' such a good time, I'm havin' a ball.
Don't stop me now
If you wanna have a good time just give me a call
Don't stop me now ('Cause I'm having a good time)
Don't stop me now (Yes I'm having a good time)
I don't want to stop at aaaaaaaaalllll~

broony

Well you've always been able to play Halo co-op online by tunnelling with far less lag than Anni.

I appreciate it's not the same thing, but tunneling a system link game is hardly optimal conditions.

Halo and Halo 2 didn't feature system link co-op, only split screen. Is this what you are talking about?

Fuchsdh

Aside from CEA giving me a "two second dc screen" on mission start I ne'er had an issue, and same with Reach coop (did have some issues with ODST, never played enough Halo 3 to draw any conclusions.)

I'd really love to do an audit of GAF's setups as see how much can actually be attributed to subpar net code as how much is poor setups or faults on their end.

So how's HaloGaf this morning?

Oh, no flag dropping sucks, no assault sucks (even though I hate it), Forge is still grey, I can't diabeetus myself with GameFuel yet because I see none, and Halo 4 isn't out yet. Also SpOps will be horrible if there is any kind of input lag.

Better?

"Cunt" should be in there somewhere.

Falifax

Anyone remembers the Halo 3 ODST FF Vidmaster challenge random connection timeout error :p Fun times.

I just remember the campaign Vidmaster challenge with my friend, some British guy and an American dude who caused some serious lag and yet we managed to get it. Fun times indeed.

Tawpgun

Makes me wish there was a public beta. A lot of fears would be alleviated and a lot of "issues" would have been tossed aside as not that big of a deal.

Omni

Is that an assumption or have you got a quote for that? Then what'd be Reach's excuse?
I had a response, but Chrome shat itself and lost it.

Quick tl;dr: They built CEA on the CE engine without major changes (CE engine was built 10 years ago without online play in mind... because it was non-existent). The reason for this was because rewriting the engine would take up incredible resources (Keeping in mind they were working on Halo 4 at the same time and CEA was a side project).
I think it was because the game was running two engines side by side at the same time.
I don't think that would have much of a effect. It was never going to be great even with the original game engine by itself. (Plus Sabre's engine was just an overlay, if I'm not mistaken).

Did CE have system link COOP campaign? I can't remember. Don't think it did, so I can't really comment on that.

kylej

Banned
I must have missed the lesson on bitching about their product pre and post release as being expected of a concerned customer.

I'll be emailing Jeff Bezos today to tell him consumers have no need to write reviews about products post-release, and that the entire review system should be stripped from Amazon. Very insightful stuff as always.

Shadders

Halo and Halo 2 didn't feature system link co-op, only split screen. Is this what you are talking about?

No, I was saying you could co-op campaign over system link. It seems I was totally wrong about that though :lol

I used to LAN Halo CE every week and could have sworn I'd played campaign over system link, but it seems my memory is deceiving me.

Rtas

Hire juices.

24439311.jpg

While I do agree that the entitled attitude is hit and miss I believe its something we as gamers shouldn't have, people don't seem to get that developers don't have to consult with us on ANYTHING, the fact the 343i does is a sign of how good a developer they reall are. People need to stop bitching and make their decisions once they actually play the game

broony

No, I was saying you could co-op campaign over system link. It seems I was totally wrong about that though :lol

I used to LAN Halo CE every week and could have sworn I'd played campaign over system link, but it seems my memory is deceiving me.

I remember being really disapointed after taking my xbox over my dad's place to play co-op a wekk or two after launch and then realising we couldn't system link. Still fun split screen though.

The lack of it in Halo 2 was pretty disapointing as well as they had hinted that it would be there.

Akai__

Has anyone solved, what we need to type in the Forerunner console?

I tried:

Composer
Cryptum
Cortana
Chief
Crawler
Cartograph
Chakas
Chieftain
CTN 0452-9
Covenant

---

Reclaimer
Reclaiming
Precursor
Didact
Librarian

Anything else with C, that was introduced maybe in The Thursday War or which you can think of?

Maybe the "C" isn't the first letter?

Edit: Will edit the post, with words I have tried.

Edit 2: On the right, it shows 10 available spots, maybe the word is 10 letters long?

Everyone in this thread is a Halo fan so of course people are going to buy the next iteration of the game they love. It's just that I (and I think more people) think it's stupid we're losing options we did have in the previous game: No ranking system, less gametypes and also less custom options. I think that's a righteous thing to be upset or at least displeased about.

Rtas

Everyone in this thread is a Halo fan so of course people are going to buy the next iteration of the game they love. It's just that I (and I think more people) think it's stupid we're losing options we did have in the previous game: No ranking system, less gametypes and also less custom options. I think that's a righteous thing to be upset or at least displeased about.

I don't see why we're getting worked up over it, yes there are certain features we don't have any more, however I never seemed to use them anyways, the skill based ranking system to me had very little use in Halo 3, there was no point to it, as people were either constantly de-ranking themselves or starting a new account just to play against lower people, so there was really no point to it. As for less gametypes, those can be introduced after launch stop overreacting. And as for customs, meh people will always find a way to be creative with what they have, just accept it and move on man.

FyreWulff

I remember being really disapointed after taking my xbox over my dad's place to play co-op a wekk or two after launch and then realising we couldn't system link. Still fun split screen though.

The lack of it in Halo 2 was pretty disapointing as well as they had hinted that it would be there.

They tried to get in for Halo 2, didn't work out. It was almost pushed out to being a feature added via TU for Halo 3.

And yeah, it was a miracle they got CEA campaign online. That engine was not set up to have deterministic AI at all in the first place, and massive desyncs occur sometimes (ie, the simulations split and you're both off playing your own game, essentially).

24439311.jpg

While I do agree that the entitled attitude is hit and miss I believe its something we as gamers shouldn't have, people don't seem to get that developers don't have to consult with us on ANYTHING, the fact the 343i does is a sign of how good a developer they reall are. People need to stop bitching and make their decisions once they actually play the game

You can’t please everyone all the time. Whenever anything becomes popular, there will always be a group of fans that find a reason to hate simply because they can.

Rtas

You can’t please everyone all the time. Whenever anything becomes popular, there will always be a group of fans that find a reason to hate simply because they can.

But its the fact that they feel the developers MUST do what they say, for me whenever I play a game online and a part of it changes which effectively ruins the way I play the game and love, its usually because of the minority of people who don't like the game, are screaming and waving their arms at the developers begging for change with their tantrum, and I'm sorry but for the most part its those calling themselves "competitive gamers" I know there are competitive gamers in HaloGaf and for the most part they seem pretty damn cool about most things so maybe I'm just biased, but honestly, this entitled attitude gamers have gotten is seriously stupid.

broony

They tried to get in for Halo 2, didn't work out. It was almost pushed out to being a feature added via TU for Halo 3.

And yeah, it was a miracle they got CEA campaign online. That engine was not set up to have deterministic AI at all in the first place, and massive desyncs occur sometimes (ie, the simulations split and you're both off playing your own game, essentially).

Yeah the option to play co-op was still in the menus at launch on Halo 2. Can't remember how you got to it but it was there.

I don't see why we're getting worked up over it, yes there are certain features we don't have any more, however I never seemed to use them anyways, the skill based ranking system to me had very little use in Halo 3, there was no point to it, as people were either constantly de-ranking themselves or starting a new account just to play against lower people, so there was really no point to it. As for less gametypes, those can be introduced after launch stop overreacting. And as for customs, meh people will always find a way to be creative with what they have, just accept it and move on man.

So you're saying it's okay we don't have a these features at launch because you didn't use them anyway and they may get patched into the game eventually? So the guy who's favorite gametype was assault should just move on now that he can't play it anymore in 4? (Maybe through the Griffball configurations but we still have to see if that'll play out the same)
Or the people who'd like to play classic CTF but now can't because the custom options aren't there? They may be minor to you but some people really care about these features. They don't hurt you in anyway.

Top Bottom