• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

He's not talking about the amount of weapons, but the removal of weapons that functioned really alike. In Halo 3, the only difference between the beam rifle and the sniper rifle is the rate of fire, while the focus rifle and sniper rifle in Reach are pretty different.

[...] allowing them to have all weapons on all maps.

Why would it make any difference to the memory how the weapons function? Only the total weapons count matters, all 20 weapons could be AR clones as far as memory is concerned.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Probably like 5 minutes actually. Ctl + A, Ctl + C, Ctl + V and then just wait for them to transfer.
:lol

guys I'm going through halo withdrawals, what do?
I've been bouncing between 3 and Reach for multiplayer, and CEA for campaign. I've been trying to play Halo Wars, too, but I can only stand it in co-op. Solo is booooring.

He's not talking about the amount of weapons, but the removal of weapons that functioned really alike. In Halo 3, the only difference between the beam rifle and the sniper rifle is the rate of fire, while the focus rifle and sniper rifle in Reach are pretty different.

The question is how does that affect what weapons can be put on the maps? The difference between the plasma rifle and plasma repeater isn't that much. What's your point?

EDIT: STUPID SLOW WORK INTERNET!!!! Beaten to the punch again! GRRRAAAHHFDFHS:DFG:SD G: JDFSH:GJLKDFGKDG!

10 days and we have passed already 11700 posts. If we keep posting like that, we'll reach an other OT, before the Halo 4 OT.

:lol

Anyway, Halo 4 guys. I'm pumped, I'm ready and I can't wait anymore. Watched the IGN vid, which included slight spoilers. :(

Wait which IGN video had the spoilers? Kind of tempted to avoid anything from them except the map videos.

FyreWulff

lol wut

Halo 3: AR, BR, SMG, Magnum, Shotgun, Sniper, Rocket Launcher, Laser, Plasma Rifle, Plasma Pistol, Needler, Spiker, Brute Shot, Mauler, Carbine, Beam Rifle, Fuel Rod Gun, Sword, Hammer, Sentinel Beam = 20 total

Halo Reach: AR, DMR, Magnum, Shotgun, Sniper, Grenade Launcher, Rocket Launcher, Laser, Plasma Rifle, Plasma Repeater, Plasma Pistol, Needler, Spiker, Concussion Rifle, Needle Rifle, Focus Rifle, Plasma Launcher, Fuel Rod Gun, Sword, Hammer = 20 total

The stuff some people come up with to defend stupid design decisions by Bungie/343i baffles me

You're confusing weapon counts with weapon variety and engine improvements.

There's the amount of weapons. Halo 3 has redundant weapons and weapons you cannot spawn with, which I have bolded (although I can't remember if the FRG is spawnable, I'll include it anyway). This is because Bungie sat down , and decided on a core non-redundant weapon set that would be present on all maps, and therefore have a known base memory cost. This isn't an excuse, this is actually what they did, in their own words. Even they could have canonically justified them and had them in multiplayer with no problems, the Mauler/Spiker/Carbine/Beam Rifle did not return. They were redundant to the Shotgun, SMG, DMR, and Sniper Rifle. Therefore they were cut. Reach has 'all weapons' because they only re-implemented mostly unique ones.

Halo 3 doesn't because they were trying to maintain direct continuity with Halo 2 and attempting to expand the Brute sandbox at the same time. Originally even the PR was campaign only in Reach. There's very slightly redundancy in the Repeater (AR) and Needle Rifle (DMR) to allow an Elite motif for Invasion. Halo 3 was on an older engine built on an older SDK where your debugger had to live in the same memory that the game would use. Only later post-H3 SDKs had double RAM so developers could use all 512MB in a game on the 360. Halo 3's TU2 even frees up RAM when it starts up than base H3, although it's not used to add any more features.

It should also be noted that Reach doesn't let you use the Target Locator in mutliplayer, because it's too cost performant and also came in really late after they had decided on the weapon sandbox memory footprint.

tl;dr Reach has the same weapon count, and those weapons are all at least 3x the polycount and complexity of the Halo 3 versions. You're not going to fit every weapon you want in the game plus every weapon from every previous game into 512MB of RAM under those conditions.

Akai__

Wait which IGN video had the spoilers? Kind of tempted to avoid anything from them except the map videos.

The video with David Ellis, which was posted a few pages back. Don't watch it.

Edit: The video, which NobleGundam just posted.

Just play Reach to past time ,some guys have made H4 maps in Reach.
to learn them...

I played every pre-make, but it won't be even close to Halo 4. Not much to learn, they are pretty simple, but thanks. ;)

There's the amount of weapons. Halo 3 has redundant weapons and weapons you cannot spawn with, which I have bolded (although I can't remember if the FRG is spawnable, I'll include it anyway). This is because Bungie sat down , and decided on a core non-redundant weapon set that would be present on all maps, and therefore have a known base memory cost. This isn't an excuse, this is actually what they did, in their own words. Even they could have canonically justified them and had them in multiplayer with no problems, the Mauler/Spiker/Carbine/Beam Rifle did not return. They were redundant to the Shotgun, SMG, DMR, and Sniper Rifle. Therefore they were cut. Reach has 'all weapons' because they only re-implemented mostly unique ones.

Halo 3 doesn't because they were trying to maintain direct continuity with Halo 2 and attempting to expand the Brute sandbox at the same time. Originally even the PR was campaign only in Reach. There's very slightly redundancy in the Repeater (AR) and Needle Rifle (DMR) to allow an Elite motif for Invasion. Halo 3 was on an older engine built on an older SDK where your debugger had to live in the same memory that the game would use. Only later post-H3 SDKs had double RAM so developers could use all 512MB in a game on the 360. Halo 3's TU2 even frees up RAM when it starts up than base H3, although it's not used to add any more features.

It should also be noted that Reach doesn't let you use the Target Locator in mutliplayer, because it's too cost performant and also came in really late after they had decided on the weapon sandbox memory footprint.

tl;dr Reach has the same weapon count, and those weapons are all at least 3x the polycount and complexity of the Halo 3 versions. You're not going to fit every weapon you want in the game plus every weapon from every previous game into 512MB of RAM under those conditions.

Just because Halo 4 weapons overlap doesn't make them redundant. Compared to the average fps game, the 3 comparable weapons between "races" are actually pretty distinct.

Edit: not even sure if that's what you were relating it to, didn't read back far enough, my bad.

I know that Bungie themselves stated this, I still think it's a lazy excuse.
It should have been possible to put all 20 Halo 3 weapons as starters if it was possible in Reach, regardless if this is necessary or not, due to redundancies. Especially since CoD has bazillions of weapons on every map, in every iteration.

Also, the sentinel beam is hardly redundant.

FyreWulff

I know that Bungie themselves stated this, I still think it's a lazy excuse.
It should have been possible to put all 20 Halo 3 weapons as starters if it was possible in Reach, regardless if this is necessary or not, due to redundancies. Especially since CoD has bazillions of weapons on every map, in every iteration.

Call of Duty and Halo are different games on different engines with different levels of customization. Call of Duty has lots of guns, but only two player models present in each match. Halo has lots of armor variants for player appearance, and not that many guns. That's oversimplifying it but a good place to start. Different games have different goals.

Also, the sentinel beam is hardly redundant.

Hence why it became the Focus Rifle in Reach.

The question is how does that affect what weapons can be put on the maps? The difference between the plasma rifle and plasma repeater isn't that much. What's your point?

EDIT: STUPID SLOW WORK INTERNET!!!! Beaten to the punch again! GRRRAAAHHFDFHS:DFG:SD G: JDFSH:GJLKDFGKDG!

I thought he was saying something along the line of that there were still a lot of redundant weapons in Reach. Guess I read it wrong.

cortanacomp.png

I see a trend.

Call of Duty and Halo are different games on different engines with different levels of customization. Call of Duty has lots of guns, but only two player models present in each match. Halo has lots of armor variants for player appearance, and not that many guns. That's oversimplifying it but a good place to start. Different games have different goals.

Hence why it became the Focus Rifle in Reach.

Halo Reach has even more Armor than Halo 3 (like, 5 times the amount), and yet all weapons as starters.
Lazy design is lazy design is lazy design.

FyreWulff

Halo Reach has even more Armor than Halo 3 (like, 5 times the amount), and yet all weapons as starters.
Lazy design is lazy design is lazy design.

It's almost like instead of including a bunch of redundant weapons from previous Halo titles, they decided to use the memory for player customization.

Or to give you another example, Halo 2 had every weapon available to start with minus the Blue sentinel beam, but only had two player models with no customizations. Reach is missing the entire Brute sandbox minus the Hammer.

Whatever, i guess they were just being lazy.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Just because Halo 4 weapons overlap doesn't make them redundant. Compared to the average fps game, the 3 comparable weapons between "races" are actually pretty distinct.

Edit: not even sure if that's what you were relating it to, didn't read back far enough, my bad.

Yep, they really did a great job with the Forerunner Power weapons, I like the incredibly powerful but low magazine dynamic.

Calm down junior. its a joke

Oh sweet. Junior meltdown time? disgunbegood.jpg

I guess everyone has to try this once shortly after they hit member.
/meta

It's almost like instead of including a bunch of redundant weapons from previous Halo titles, they decided to use the memory for player customization.

Dude, we get that they didn't include redundant weapons. But the point is the number of weapons didn't change, so the memory savings (or whatever) had to come from something else.

Oozer3993

Dude, we get that they didn't include redundant weapons. But the point is the number of weapons didn't change, so the memory savings (or whatever) had to come from something else.

He already stated where the increase in memory came from:

Halo 3 was on an older engine built on an older SDK where your debugger had to live in the same memory that the game would use. Only later post-H3 SDKs had double RAM so developers could use all 512MB in a game on the 360. Halo 3's TU2 even frees up RAM when it starts up than base H3, although it's not used to add any more features.

Seriously, how hard is it to ge this?

The TYPE of weapons is IRRELEVANT, only the NUMBER is RELEVANT.

ffs man

Reach is missing the entire Brute sandbox minus the Hammer.

Yeah, and it was replaced with Concussion Rifle, Plasma Launcher, Grenade Launcher,...

Jesus Christ

Flipyap

Your mom, your crazy highschool girlfriend, your long time on and off girlfriend who you end up impregnating and marrying and then divorce 10 years laters, your perfect second wife who is half your age.
Definitely NOT. Just look at those low knees. She is way below my standards.

Your mom, your crazy highschool girlfriend, your long time on and off girlfriend who you end up impregnating and marrying and then divorce 10 years laters, your perfect second wife who is half your age.
I love it. If it could fit on a t-shirt or a wallpaper..

Glad that Dudebro continues to fight on:

ibvuuHUZ8jNCdU.gif

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
In a perfect world, post-launch GAF hosts a bring a 343'er to work day, where the 343'er just sits there with a Jimmy Hart megaphone calling him/her lazy all day.

Nothing lazier than blaming something you don't like on laziness.

He already stated where the increase in memory came from:

Oh dear God.

I understand that. My point is the "redundant weapons" line isn't the reason there's more available in Reach. It's just more RAM available in general. The weapons themselves had nothing to do with the improvement.

He could simply have said, "guys, the engine and shit was running low on available RAM/resources so they saved some performance by choosing weapons, among other things." AKA H3 was a relatively poorly done engine compared to anything modern at the time. SDK limitations be damned.

If people aren't satisfied with that, then who cares? Don't try to spin it unnecessarily.

EDIT:
Seriously, how hard is it to ge this?

The TYPE of weapons is IRRELEVANT, only the NUMBER is RELEVANT.

ffs man

Yeah, and it was replaced with Concussion Rifle, Plasma Launcher, Grenade Launcher,...

Jesus Christ

This type of response is the other extreme. God I wish internet at work wasn't total balls.

Top Bottom