• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

TheOddOne

The wonderful John Liberto posted the UNSC Infinity concept art we saw ages ago:
856_max.jpg

heckfu

Banned
In a perfect world, post-launch GAF hosts a bring a 343'er to work day, where the 343'er just sits there with a Jimmy Hart megaphone calling him/her lazy all day.

Nothing lazier than blaming something you don't like on laziness.
It'd be tough to talk half of GAF's mothers into having a friend over all day in their basement.

Nando13

Dont look at the chat. Dont look at the chat. Dont look at the chat. Dont look at the chat. Dont look at the chat. Dont look at the chat. Dont look at the chat. Dont look at the chat.

So David Ellis if you're around, those Spartan Ops CG videos look great, how will those be delivered? Please don't say streaming exclusively, I have a terrible connection.

Check your PMs in a bit, sending you a steam key for it.

wow, wasnt expecting that, very awesome thank you

FyreWulff

RANDOM TANGENT BECAUSE I HAD TO GO HELP PAY FOR A CAR REGISTRATION AND FIX A COMPUTER AND THE ORIGINAL TOPIC HAS PASSED

Why you shouldn’t be worried about the (current) lack of Assault in Halo 4, a short story by me.

I was thinking overnight and this morning about the previous discussion on the lack of Assault. I’ve come to the conclusion that people shouldn’t be worried about this. It’s going to require me to lay some groundwork for how I’m going to explain it though.

In Halo: Reach, objective play has what I’ll call verbs, because I can’t think of a better word right now, for gaining points or winning. These verbs are:

you can destroy something (kill a player, a vehicle, or only in FF, a generator)
you can possess something that you can drop (pick up a ball, pick up a flag, pick up a bomb)
you can occupy something (stand inside a hill zone)
you can apply something (a bomb to an arming hill, a flag to a cap point)

In Halo 4, all of these verbs are still available. It got me to thinking that 343 actually made a clever decision in regards to objectives and a problem Reach has: the Oddball, Flag, and Bomb are all just skins for the same mechanic (possess). 343 has actually removed the objective redundancy in 4, and we now actually have more options. You’ll have to divorce the appearance of what you’re holding from the underlying mechanic, though, to follow what I’m saying.

In Reach, all of your possessable objectives behave exactly the same way. You can pick them up and toss them back down and smack someone for a OHK. Functionally in Megalo they are the same. In Hot Potato, they just use the Bomb instead of the Oddball, but it still functions like an Oddball in previous games, for example.

In Halo 4, you now have a new option: you have the objective you can toss (Oddball and all of the Reach objective objects), the Objective you occupy (same hills from Reach), and we now have a new Objective type, the Magjective. An objective that forces you to hold it, cannot be tossed, but gives you a basic weapon. It puts you into a known state.

It was already confirmed in the previous thread or this one that Halo 4’s launch selection of gametypes are not the gametypes it’s stuck with for the rest of it’s life. So we now 4 can have new gametypes added post launch, and we know it has a scripting language of some sort. 343 also changed the Oddball to a more generic object than a skull, so it could conceivably explode and make sense (unlike a normal human skull) if 343 wanted it to in a gametype.

I guess what I’m saying here is that there’s nothing preventing Assault in Halo 4. The bomb object was redundant in both form and function - it’s a flag in ball form that you carry in reverse. The question is if 343's ideal assault would be a Magjective (dedicated carrier, must protect on the way in, minimal defense) or an Oddball (throwable and tossable). All they have to do to make the Magjective work for assault is make it so you have to ‘arm’ it and plant the flag on the stand, then the other team has to stand on it to prevent it from being locked in. Or you could make it the Oddball and it's a round object you hold over an arm spot and plant for an explosion, and there won't be confusion since it's one gametype per playlist.

So Halo 4 has:

you can destroy something (kill a player)
you can possess something that you can drop (oddball)
you can occupy something (hills)
you can apply something (ball to cap point in grifball, flagnum to cap point)
you can trade something (trade your weapons for the objective for your current life)

Or as an example, if you want an objective you can throw that you steal from the other base, make oddballs that only one team can pick up and make them capture it at their home base, with them being able to toss and throw it to each other on the way back. If 'classic' CTF returns as an actual flag though, I'd imagine it'd either be in this form or as a separate Flag object that doesn't give you a magnum patched into the game.

CTF:
Possess (H4: trade) the objective and apply it to your home base cap point

Assault:
Possess the objective and apply it to your enemy's base cap point

Oddball:
Possess the objective and receive points for time while holding it

Regicide:
Destroy a player to gain points

Dominion:
Occupy hills to upgrade your base and destroy other players

etc. Pay less attention to the skins and more attention to the mechanics.

bGanci

Banned
RANDOM TANGENT BECAUSE I HAD TO GO HELP PAY FOR A CAR REGISTRATION AND FIX A COMPUTER AND THE ORIGINAL TOPIC HAS PASSED

Why you shouldn’t be worried about the (current) lack of Assault in Halo 4, a short story by me.

I was thinking overnight and this morning about the previous discussion on the lack of Assault. I’ve come to the conclusion that people shouldn’t be worried about this. It’s going to require me to lay some groundwork for how I’m going to explain it though.

In Halo: Reach, objective play has what I’ll call verbs, because I can’t think of a better word right now, for gaining points or winning. These verbs are:

you can destroy something (kill a player, a vehicle, or only in FF, a generator)
you can possess something that you can drop (pick up a ball, pick up a flag, pick up a bomb)
you can occupy something (stand inside a hill zone)
you can apply something (a bomb to an arming hill, a flag to a cap point)

In Halo 4, all of these verbs are still available. It got me to thinking that 343 actually made a clever decision in regards to objectives and a problem Reach has: the Oddball, Flag, and Bomb are all just skins for the same mechanic (possess). 343 has actually removed the objective redundancy in 4, and we now actually have more options. You’ll have to divorce the appearance of what you’re holding from the underlying mechanic, though, to follow what I’m saying.

In Reach, all of your possessable objectives behave exactly the same way. You can pick them up and toss them back down and smack someone for a OHK. Functionally in Megalo they are the same. In Hot Potato, they just use the Bomb instead of the Oddball, but it still functions like an Oddball in previous games, for example.

In Halo 4, you now have a new option: you have the objective you can toss (Oddball and all of the Reach objective objects), the Objective you occupy (same hills from Reach), and we now have a new Objective type, the Magjective. An objective that forces you to hold it, cannot be tossed, but gives you a basic weapon. It puts you into a known state.

It was already confirmed in the previous thread or this one that Halo 4’s launch selection of gametypes are not the gametypes it’s stuck with for the rest of it’s life. So we now 4 can have new gametypes added post launch, and we know it has a scripting language of some sort. 343 also changed the Oddball to a more generic object than a skull, so it could conceivably explode and make sense (unlike a normal human skull) if 343 wanted it to in a gametype.

I guess what I’m saying here is that there’s nothing preventing Assault in Halo 4. The bomb object was redundant in both form and function - it’s a flag in ball form that you carry in reverse. The question is if 343's ideal assault would be a Magjective (dedicated carrier, must protect on the way in, minimal defense) or an Oddball (throwable and tossable). All they have to do to make the Magjective work for assault is make it so you have to ‘arm’ it and plant the flag on the stand, then the other team has to stand on it to prevent it from being locked in. Or you could make it the Oddball and it's a round object you hold over an arm spot and plant for an explosion, and there won't be confusion since it's one gametype per playlist.

So Halo 4 has:

you can destroy something (kill a player)
you can possess something that you can drop (oddball)
you can occupy something (hills)
you can apply something (ball to cap point in grifball, flagnum to cap point)
you can trade something (trade your weapons for the objective for your current life)

Or as an example, if you want an objective you can throw that you steal from the other base, make oddballs that only one team can pick up and make them capture it at their home base, with them being able to toss and throw it to each other on the way back. If 'classic' CTF returns as an actual flag though, I'd imagine it'd either be in this form or as a separate Flag object that doesn't give you a magnum patched into the game.

CTF:
Possess (H4: trade) the objective and apply it to your home base cap point

Assault:
Possess the objective and apply it to your enemy's base cap point

Oddball:
Possess the objective and receive points for time while holding it

Regicide:
Destroy a player to gain points

Dominion:
Occupy hills to upgrade your base and destroy other players

etc. Pay less attention to the skins and more attention to the mechanics.
There is evidence it may be in.

Top Bottom