• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

kylej

Banned
man sig had a godly urn today and I missed it :(
tUcjB.png
tUcjB.png
tUcjB.png

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Out of all the videos I've watched, the only weapon that seems too good is the DMR, lol.
It's definitely what I plan on using once I get it. I could also see Light Rifle carving out its own little niche, at least on large maps and if the user has that support upgrade that doesn't get them scoped out when shot.

aj1467

It's definitely what I plan on using once I get it. I could also see Light Rifle carving out its own little niche, at least on large maps and if the user has that support upgrade that doesn't get them scoped out when shot.

Same here. As soon as I unlock it, I'll be using the DMR.

Can we get scoped out when shot in Halo 4? I thought the upgrade thing was to reduce the flinching when shot?

Was it? I don't remember.

Yes, that armor mod you're referring to reduces your kick/flinch. You never get knocked out of scope.

Who else is master racing not getting any of that dbl XP if you buy cancer in a can/bag?

Sent PM about this so called stream. Where's mah reply?

For theatre it would be better for a YouTube type rendering service. Sure theatre is awesome for machinima and seeing the game in it's 3D glory but to just show your mates in the lobby a rendering service would perform far more reliably and increase sharing/load times.

It could even be a queue based system with notification and watchable during lobby or matchmaking searching. That system would be far more popular than theatre on its own.

I'll have a number of loadouts based on gametype, map, and just mixing things up, but based on my experience with the game, DMR will hands down be my go to.

Also, I'd be one of those people Bigshow stated thinking the BR is the easiest rifle to use.

Enfinit

Has anyone tried to redeem the Doritos/Dew codes yet? I'm attempting to do them now and I'm having some problems understanding how it works. I put in the codes on the DewXP website, created an account there, and linked my Xbox profile. It says I have 15 matches available (I bought 5 bags), however do I "apply" them now, or wait until the game comes out to "apply" them?

Yea, after watching gameplay, the DMR seems like it'll be my go-to weapon. It's nice that the BR's back, and it looks awesome, however I feel like the DMR will be more useful overall. The LightRifle is an interesting mix, curious to see where it fits in. As of right now, I really haven't thought much into what weapons/perks I'll be using outside of my main (most likely the DMR in most cases). I'll probably nab the faster-ranking-up specialization until I've unlocked everything, then I'll settle in discovering an all-around package that works.

When the game hits, it's going to be a race to complete all of the specializations and hit SR-130. I have a feeling I won't truly enjoy the game fully relaxed until everything's unlocked and max level is hit.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I think im probably going to be adjusting my loadout based on the map/gametype.

You must. There are definitely some AA's that work better than others for certain maps. The are some that work very similarly for most maps as well though.

Ramirez

Has anyone tried to redeem the Doritos/Dew codes yet? I'm attempting to do them now and I'm having some problems understanding how it works. I put in the codes on the DewXP website, created an account there, and linked my Xbox profile. It says I have 15 matches available (I bought 5 bags), however do I "apply" them now, or wait until the game comes out to "apply" them?

If you have your XBL GT linked, you can apply them now.

Tawpgun

The BR has spread and is burst fire, allowing for sweeping headshots. It's my least favorite primary weapon of Halo and, by everyone's hands on accounts, the easiest to use in Halo 4. So no, I would rather not have it also be the most powerful.

Seems like Light Rifle would be the best for competitive play. Highest skill gap and learning curve out of all the rifles.

You must. There are definitely some AA's that work better than others for certain maps. The are some that work very similarly for most maps as well though.
JETPACK ON SOLAAAACE.

PS where is the vid of the Haven jumps?

Yes, that armor mod you're referring to reduces your kick/flinch. You never get knocked out of scope.

Who else is master racing not getting any of that dbl XP if you buy cancer in a can/bag?

Sent PM about this so called stream. Where's mah reply?

I will not be doing double exp points. Unless I find a bag or can lieing around from someone else. I don't really care how fast I unlock my crap.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm not touching that junk. I'm looking forward to seeing it in stores, though. Makes the looming launch feel more tangible. Oh, and I have a housemate who drinks Mt Dew regularly, so I'll see if I can nab some codes from him.

Tawpgun

I assume this as well, considering it has the ability to 4sk while scoped and is burst when unscoped.

You need to be constantly aware of your actions when using it. When using the BR or DMR you can scope in and out with no issue. With the Light Rifle, when I scoped in/out mid firefight I got all lost.

MrDaravon

Man COD really wants to go head to head with Halo.

They made ELITE free so you can create classes over PC and Phone for the game.

Free Elite in MW3 already let you do that. IIRC the only things you got for paying for Elite were the DLC (which was the main thing), the two (?) stupid TV show things they put out, and being able to participate in Clan Challenges. Free Elite members could be in clans, but if I remember correctly they couldn't participate in or get the rewards from Clan Challenges. Everything else was free like the class setup stuff.

But I have no idea how on earth that relates to wanting to go "head to head" with Halo either way.

Stackboy

Reposting from the latest Vidoc thread:

If there isn't a Forge maps playlist after a little while, for the most popular forge maps, it doesn't seem like 343 are doing their job properly. A playlist showcasing the best that's out there, even after 2 months of release, makes so much sense to me.

Ramirez

If there isn't a Forge maps playlist after a little while, for the most popular forge maps, it doesn't seem like 343 are doing their job properly. A playlist showcasing the best that's out there, even after 2 months of release, makes so much sense to me.

Worked wonderfully in Reach.

Enfinit

The logical person in my wants to agree with this, then the memories come back...

If anything, Halo wants to go "head to head" with CoD considering they've taken most of CoD and used it in their Halo and the fact CoD is much more popular...

MrDaravon

If anything, Halo wants to go "head to head" with CoD considering they've taken most of CoD and used it in their Halo and the fact CoD is much more popular...

You could definitely make that argument. I just don't get how you try to make that argument using the fact that CoD Elite lets you create custom classes outside the game.

110% Weapon Damage Info
Battle Rifle - FOUR Shot Kill - ALL Battle Rifle shots have to hit.
DMR - FIVE Shot Kill
Pistol - FIVE Shot Kill

Sweet! One step closer to classic settings. About those settings though...

One could argue that 343 is being quite arrogant in their treatment of Halo 4's custom potential. I understand and even agree with the argument that a Halo developer should have a focused and enforced vision of their iteration within their matchmaking settings. What I don't understand is the omission of choice to create a setting akin to that of Halo's 1-3; will I have to wait for another developer to sweep in a year from now and patch on the ability to juggle a flag or turn off sprint?

343 had the confidence to take hold of Bungie's last Halo game and offer alternatives to Bungie's vision. They took out bloom and added bleedthrough (amongst other changes). One of the express intentions of this 'interesting functionality' was to appeal to and appease the fans of a more familiar style of Halo from years past. Consider this quote from Frankie on the subject:

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=63245816&postRepeater1-p=7#63249073

frankie said:
Some people love the way Reach plays now, some people want to see new (and old, classic) features and gameplay changes. They will see these things, in playlists clearly labeled.

To me, part of Forge's primary function is to allow the user to create, customise and personalise their and their friends' own Halo experience. Check out ForgeHub and the like in the first few weeks following the release of a new Halo game/Forge map and the first thing you'll see is practically every map in Halo history remade with every-original-jump-intact precision. These remakes, regardless of how pretty the new lighting system renders them, will be practically worthless now, museum relics to be seen and toured around but never to be played on.

What if some people want to see old, classic features and gameplay options (like, say, flag juggling and no sprinting) in Halo 4?

343 changed the code of a Halo game they didn't develop to allow users to achieve a more 'classic' approximation of Halo in Reach whilst denying that same option to do so in the Halo game they did make from the ground up. It's an inconsistent philosophy.

Honestly, it doesn't even bother me that much. I accepted the Halo 4 changes months ago now and am fully on board with my giftwrapped treats for donging (ordnance) and DMR starts all the time. Can't wait, tis gonna be awesome. It's just slightly regretful that I won't get that game invite in a few months from a friend who's got a sick remake of Lockout - BR starts, no sprint - or a cosy little lobby of eight playing a decent remake of Midship where only BR's are allowed and I can throw a flag out of the base and juggle it across bottom middle for a quick, slick cap. Regretful that we won't have what Halo has traditionally given us: the option to do so.

The multiplayer vidoc was incredible btw. I still think the graphics are staggering considering the hardware it's running on. It also made Forge look far more appealing than those Gamespot videos. I saw hilly terrain as Forge pieces so Ghaleon should be partly happy. Spop's also looks a lot more intriguing than it had hitherto to this point. The vidoc did what it should: hype me.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
from a MS H4 email I just got:

** To receive early access to Specializations, you must purchase Halo 4 Standard Edition and play the game while connected to Xbox LIVE by 11:59:59 P.M. Eastern Time on November 20, 2012. A download code will be sent to the email address associated with your Xbox LIVE account by November 30, 2012; any email returned as nondeliverable will not be re-sent. Limit: one code per gamertag.

I'd assume "early" =/= launch like I presume LE still is. Still, 3 weeks isn't a hell of a long time.

Enfinit

I'd assume "early" =/= launch like I presume LE still is. Still, 3 weeks isn't a hell of a long time.

Wow. I'd assume that November 20th doesn't necessarily mean that the remaining six specializations will be unlocked, I believe it's still up to 343i's discretion, with November 20th being the earliest.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

If early access to all the customizations isn't exclusive to the Limited Edition, then I have absolutely zero regrets about cancelling my LE pre-order. That was the last thing persuading me to keep it before I decided to cancel anyways.

JHall

Watching this multiplayer stream and all I hear is:

Ball thrown
You have the ball
Ball thrown
Nice Catch
Ball thrown
You have the ball
Ball thrown
Nice catch

Someone from 343i explain to me how "flag dropped, flag taken" is annoying, yet that ^ shit isn't.

Watching this multiplayer stream and all I hear is.

Ball thrown
You have the ball
Ball thrown
Nice Catch
Ball thrown
You have the ball
Ball thrown
Nice catch

Someone from 343i explain to me how "flag dropped, flag taken" is annoying, yet that ^ shit isn't.

HOLY SHIT CAN SOMEONE PM ME A LINK

If early access to all the customizations isn't exclusive to the Limited Edition, then I have absolutely zero regrets about cancelling my LE pre-order. That was the last thing persuading me to keep it before I decided to cancel anyways.
"One Code Per GamerTag"
Doesn't LE gives access to 5 specializations?

Watching this multiplayer stream and all I hear is:

Ball thrown
You have the ball
Ball thrown
Nice Catch
Ball thrown
You have the ball
Ball thrown
Nice catch

BALL THROWN +10
YOU HAVE THE BALL +10
BALL THROWN +10
NICE CATCH! +10
BALL THROWN +10
YOU HAVE THE BALL +10
BALL THROWN +10

shits gonna be exploited

Top Bottom