• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
That sucks. Was really hoping to have 4sk weapons without breaking everything else in the sandbox.

Consider that the DMR is much more accurate with considerably less bloom now. It might even be slightly overall faster to the kill than the BR rate of fire wise.

BigShow36

4sk DMR would be so OP imo.
I like those numbers at 100%

If the game allows for a good strafe the weapons could kill more rapidly and still be balanced. Average kill times would go up while max kill speed would go down. If the DMR was 4sk, everything else in the sandbox would also be more powerful.

Some crappy screens I took, sorry for the quality.

ig13qf5RoHWbX.jpg

i7Td9bbBTxedr.jpg

iWoWmZkGuBmIo.jpg

If the game allows for a good strafe the weapons could kill more rapidly and still be balanced. Average kill times would go up while max kill speed would go down. If the DMR was 4sk, everything else in the sandbox would also be more powerful.

Yeah, but you've also got to consider how that translates over to getting teamshot across Valhalla by 3x scope DMR's. It's already going to be bad enough as it is.

Wait, that looks like a different template. Didn't someone try to tell me the forge pieces were all the same as we saw in the space level?

Looks like that's not the case and the pieces ARE level dependent.

Looks like they went the Bioshock route with Erosion's palette, I'm liking it. Rocks are also darker.

MrBig

Wait, that looks like a different template. Didn't someone try to tell me the forge pieces were all the same as we saw in the space level?

Looks like that's not the case and the pieces ARE level dependent.

That map has a rust detail map applied to all the forge objects. Every map has some specific objects, like those pipes, but the base set it still the same.

BigShow36

Dude what.

The BR is 4sk. Your not satisfied?

The BR has spread and is burst fire, allowing for sweeping headshots. It's my least favorite primary weapon of Halo and, by everyone's hands on accounts, the easiest to use in Halo 4. So no, I would rather not have it also be the most powerful.

Yeah, but you've also got to consider how that translates over to getting teamshot across Valhalla by 3x scope DMR's. It's already going to be bad enough as it is.

The main reason long-range teamshot is so problematic in Reach is because its so easy to hit people. They move at a snails pace and the aim assist is too high. A faster strafe and (hopefully) lowered aim assist resolves those problems.

bGanci

Banned
343 has impressed me with Vote first Campaign.
voteheard.JPG

I wish the shirt/poster was available outside of the events. These are so sweet!

Made props to 343i!

RANDOM TANGENT BECAUSE I HAD TO GO HELP PAY FOR A CAR REGISTRATION AND FIX A COMPUTER AND THE ORIGINAL TOPIC HAS PASSED

Why you shouldn’t be worried about the (current) lack of Assault in Halo 4, a short story by me.

I posted this over at waypoint but it is very similar to your short story...

One thing I do realise on the positive 343i side...

New objective game types like dominion and extraction. Perhaps they are better than assault? Here is hoping 343i have some objective tricks still.

I can understand the need to refresh game types. I just hope the gains we have such as dominion, CTF & extraction outweigh this losses of assault, VIP & juggernaut.

I'm thankful for new work in this area but can't help but reflect on Reach and resources spent on stockpile, crazy king, headhunter etc. Would it not be better to just focus artists, developers and testing on a few core experiences?

Imagine Reach objective during game development just had focus on high quailty objective maps with just bomb and flag. Personally I would have preferred the resources spent this way.

Fast forward to Halo 4 and maybe this is what they are doing but with the select new game types? That would at least make me happy.

However it seems quality 4v4 flag and bomb maps were hugely popular throughout Halo 2 and early to mid life of Halo 3. Objective was never the focus with Reach, they were too busy trying to balance and design maps/gamelay for use with AA's.

Again hopefully 343i have their objective thinking caps on and we're all going to have great times in objective for a long time.

Ramirez

1 player lobby for Theater again

sigh

I don't understand the disappointment on this. It rarely ever worked in Halo 3, usually ending in you getting stuck in a blackscreen for 5+ minutes. I'm pretty sure if something like that could be improved, they would have put it in. There's a reason it was cut from Reach...

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
The BR has spread and is burst fire, allowing for sweeping headshots. It's my least favorite primary weapon of Halo and, by everyone's hands on accounts, the easiest to use in Halo 4. So no, I would rather not have it also be the most powerful.

The main reason long-range teamshot is so problematic in Reach is because its so easy to hit people. They move at a snails pace and the aim assist is too high. A faster strafe and (hopefully) lowered aim assist resolves those problems.

All of the primary rifles are similar in terms of skill required to use. I would say the Carbine is probably the most difficult to use because it requires you to essentially pull the trigger as fast as you can which can sometimes throw your aiming off. I know it does for me sometimes.

Moa

I don't understand the disappointment on this. It rarely ever worked in Halo 3, usually ending in you getting stuck in a blackscreen for 5+ minutes. I'm pretty sure if something like that could be improved, they would have put it in. There's a reason it was cut from Reach...

Watching films with people worked great in Halo 4, but film clips, didn't work, ever.

I'd prefer to watch films with parties than watch everything myself.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, white knight much?

Couldn't resist. I actually agree with you.

So the forge pallets turned out to be just different objects on the different maps?
Not like UNSC, Covenant, and Forerunner? Disappointing.

BigShow36

All of the primary rifles are similar in terms of skill required to use. I would say the Carbine is probably the most difficult to use because it requires you to essentially pull the trigger as fast as you can which can sometimes throw your aiming off. I know it does for me sometimes.

But, and I witnessed this already on one of the videos, the rapid fire allows players to spam in a line at head level and land a headshot on an unshielded opponent, even if they're missing 90% of their shots, similar to the BR.

I wouldn't care at all about this if they let you enter theater with 2 people signed into the same Xbox. It sucks to have to sign out every time you want to save a clip when you are playing with guests.

Ramirez

I wouldn't care at all about this if they let you enter theater with 2 people signed into the same Xbox. It sucks to have to sign out every time you want to save a clip when you are playing with guests.

Well friend, I think I've identified your problem.

Time to cut loose the moochers.

I'm going with the Carbine initially, hopefully it didn't get the nerf bat TOO much. Freaking loved it in the Halo 3 beta, and even in release it was good to a point...

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
But, and I witnessed this already on one of the videos, the rapid fire allows players to spam in a line at head level and land a headshot on an unshielded opponent, even if they're missing 90% of their shots, similar to the BR.

Well of course, that's just one of the properties of the carbine. It's just how it has always been. You can spam shots on guys with no shields in the body because it's easier to take him out that way, especially if he's about to round a corner and maybe you can't quite get the head shot, or if he's strongsiding. Sure, I guess you can spam around his head and hope for a headshot. Or, you can take your time and line it up. Or you can spam the body.

mhi

Man COD really wants to go head to head with Halo.

They made ELITE free so you can create classes over PC and Phone for the game.

Moa

Man COD really wants to go head to head with Halo.

They made ELITE free so you can create classes over PC and Phone for the game.

Elite has always been free, and the ability to change clases on PC & Phone for the game, has always been free.

Elite Premium was optional.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

feel

Clip viewing was broken but not the entire films, I have great memories watching tons of replays with friends on Halo 3, I'm very disappointed about that not coming back.

Bungie advertised group replay viewing as an amazing social feature when they announced theater (that mp vidoc part with the guys chearing the slowmo headshot), and then they cut it in the next game for whatever reason at the time that was probably not even close to worth it.. sigh

One thing I have learned about Halogaf- everything is black or white. And even if something is well reasoned, someone will paint it out to be one extreme or another. It seems people either blindly hate or blindly love; those who are in between still get panned by one of the others.

AKA its OK to be excited about Halo 4 and still have some things worry or piss you off. Also, just because someone expresses criticism it doesn't mean they are attempting to be rude to the devs. Well, unless they call em cunts.

I'm VERY curious how this isn't going to cause a bunch of shitheads to install then sell their 2nd disc to people who don't care about campaign.

Thats a good question, it seems some people are saying you can play each on a separate disk while others are saying you can only play from disc 1 after installation of 2.

I wonder if we can Forge a Dominion map to mix in an Assault Objective?

I really wanted to mix Assault with Dominion, bombing the base white knocking it back to an unfortified state.

Turns out that there is an music spoiler out there;
a bonus song
from the game. Be careful.
It is just a song that plays during the credits but is not from the OST

I immediately knew what song this will be. If I'm right something tells me it will be
unforgettable.

So they killed a community pretty much (Halotracks).

Wtf. Why the hell wouldn't they include race..?

Three sleeps until Fincher/Miller TV spot.
So excited.

Cheesy but amusing. He really blended in, haha. Also, +Hype that we are at this stage.. I remember the GS boardwalk videos like it was yesterday.

OK, this one was amazing. :lol

cortanacomp.png

I see a trend.

Halo 3 for body and hair, 4 for face.

Impact - White
Ravine - White
Erosion - Rusty

No one complained about grey in Halo 4.

Well, Ravine is more silver/white but yeah. Wtf.

Bsigg12

Well friend, I think I've identified your problem.

Time to cut loose the moochers.

I'm going with the Carbine initially, hopefully it didn't get the nerf bat TOO much. Freaking loved it in the Halo 3 beta, and even in release it was good to a point...

I don't think you can use the carbine initially. When you first go into War Games you're given the Recruit Armor, the AR, the magnum and frag grenades. Unless it's available in one of the playlist specific loadouts that allow access to other things outside of what you have unlocked, you can't use it. You'll have to rank up high enough to have it available for use in your custom loadouts.

It worked fine for full clips - so its a shame even they got removed.

Ramirez

Clip viewing was broken but not the entire films, I have great memories watching tons of replays with friends on Halo 3, I'm very disappointed about that not coming back.

Maybe it's just me & the people I play with, but I(nor they) never had any interest in sitting through an entire match to watch someone's triple kill come up, ah well, different folks & all that.

I don't think you can use the carbine initially. When you first go into War Games you're given the Recruit Armor, the AR, the magnum and frag grenades. Unless it's available in one of the playlist specific loadouts that allow access to other things outside of what you have unlocked, you can't use it. You'll have to rank up high enough to have it available for use in your custom loadouts.

I know, I meant I'm going to use it when I unlock it. Carbine>BR>DMR>LR for my initial interest to use!

Top Bottom