• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of CoD games

CoD 2 = Halo CE
CoD 4 = Halo 2

After that CoD games went down the toilet, like Halo games.

I feel that the more recent titles have done a good job of toning down the craziness. Treyarch is starting to take their titles in a different direction from the convention instead of just copy/pasting the IW title with some new skins and weapons.

MW2 was a low point for the series, true, but I think it's gotten better since then.

Havok

Extraction would be vastly improved if there was only a single point to "extract" on the map at a time. As it stands now I had most of my games end after 5-7 minutes and my kill death was average around 4 kills and 3 deaths. There's simply no reason to attack the other base (and it often proves impossible to attack it anyway).

Extraction with a single base to capture would work similar to King of the Hill; although the twist would be that you need to take over, activate, control, and hold to score any points. After the base is "extracted" it moves to another location providing a reason for teams to continue to move around the map (all while keeping a focused "kill box" or "action point" centered on the current base).

With two points on the map, and the size of the maps, you spend 85% of each map simply sprinting from point to point, pressing a button, and then waiting around for the off chance that an enemy decides to lone wolf it against your well entrenched (and rightfully camping defending) full team. The current setup boils down to whichever team can sprint to the next base the quickest and bonus points are awarded for actually avoiding the other team (you get to that button faster = you win).
That's been my experience as well. A team gets their point first, maybe controls both points once during a match and gains the point lead, then they have no incentive to do anything but turtle at one of the points. Having a single conflict site would help, I also think that having the timer fully reset on conversion is a mistake. It slows the pace to a crawl. Getting a conversion and having it reset to like 30 seconds instead of 45 might help encourage people to actually go after enemy controlled stuff instead of just waiting for the new site.

JHall

I feel that the more recent titles have done a good job of toning down the craziness. Treyarch is starting to take their titles in a different direction from the convention instead of just copy/pasting the IW title with some new skins and weapons.

MW2 was a low point for the series, true, but I think it's gotten better since then.

BLOPS 1 was a step in the right direction, It's my third favorite in the series. I really thought MW3 was the lowest point. That game is pure shit.

lol, diarrhea of the fingers, he'll fit right in with Tashi!
lol, poor Tashi.

Not a fan of Extraction in it's current form. Maybe the maps are too big and there are too many points to move to, but the comment about it being very passive is a good one. Even having the extraction mechanism something to be fought over might make it play more aggressively, I dunno.

BLOPS 1 was a step in the right direction, It's my third favorite in the series. I really thought MW3 was the lowest point. That game is pure shit.

MW3 was a very mediocre game imo

but it toned down all the craziness that MW2 had and for me that made it more enjoyable. MW2 added too much crap because the idiot 14 year olds that most of the CoD fanbase is comprised of wanted "SUPER COOL STUFF LIKE A NUKE KILLSTREAK AND AN AC-130 WOOOWWWW COOL" and it was just too much for me. It made it about killstreaks instead of gunplay.

MW3 brought it back towards the gunplay and for that I appreciated it.

I'm playing SWAT right now and only using a pistol so I can finish that commendation.

Loginius

Say what you want I enjoy halo 4 way more than I did Reach.
I did like halo 2 and 3 more but I´m glad the game isnt half as bad as Reach was and it is still the best "new" fps on the market imo.

Arnie

Say what you want I enjoy halo 4 way more than I did Reach.
I did like halo 2 and 3 more but I´m glad the game isnt half as bad as Reach was and it is still the best "new" fps on the market imo.

I'd have agreed with you, maybe, if no bloom MLG Reach never surfaced. That's a far better Halo game than Halo 4 might ever be, but note that it was substantial change post launch that enabled that. With some tweaks of a similar, and in truth probably greater scale, Halo 4 might edge ahead in that contest.

I met people who called halo 4 the second coming today

They have always sucked at halo

Feels bad thatr they love halo more than me
Seems to be a trend.

'If you've never been enamoured with Halo, you should try this!'

Ramirez

CoD2 was freaking awful, you could literally carry snipers around in that game and shoot unscoped just as accurate as if it were scoped, is this real life?

MLG Reach's movement felt like ice skating, never really cared for it compared to 3.

Killer

Banned
I find it hilarious that the prevailing opinion about CoD games is that 2 is the best when it's a worse CoD/UO with regenerating health

What are you talking about? COD 2 and 4 were equally awesome! I dont know if you can add Medal of honor:allied assault to that because it was made by most of COD team.

Ramirez

Uh, can't you do that in Halo?

Anyway, I heard in Halo you can spawn with a shotgun, good times.

Joking? The cursor on those guns were huge compared to the tiny circle in Halo.

Not to mention one was trying to convey a sense of realism, and the other is a sci fi game.

I was gonna call that rude until I saw that you weren't kidding. holy shit

I would've thought you figured me a more honest girl than that, Squid!

I also found this collection of "funny lines from Halo 3/Reach" that I've never heard before. I thin the pilot is the best one. If you stick around the scientist NPCs in "Shutdown" you'll hear some extra lines of dialogue, like John's birthplace.

MW2 is like how I got into CoD's. Loved running around in Ground War pooping on kids. Got a nuke once without even ever seeing an enemy just constantly noobtube reloaded over and over around corners lol. SOOO GOOD. Haters gunna hate. They had those way overpowered sawed off dual shotguns you ran around with that they had the distance wrong on and had to patch. Game was hilarious. Good times.
Went and bought MW original, game was good too!
MW3 was poopy but I dont think I gave it a fair chance.
Blops 1 + 2 are great.

lol, poor Tashi.

Not a fan of Extraction in it's current form. Maybe the maps are too big and there are too many points to move to, but the comment about it being very passive is a good one. Even having the extraction mechanism something to be fought over might make it play more aggressively, I dunno.

They could make the Extractor a backpack weapon that works like the Designator in campaign. A few notes:

-Pick it up once, press D-Pad to whip it out and use it.

-One spawns in the center of each Extraction point and has a waypoint if dropped.

-It could respawn to its point after 30 seconds and disappear if someone isn't holding it after the Extraction points migrate, just in case someone decides to be a jerk and throw it off the edge or something.

-The Extractor has no offensive capabilities, but can be trained on enemies holding Extractors to "spot" them, giving them a waypoint.

-You need an Extractor to initiate extracting a point.

-In addition to holding off the enemy team, you can train the Extractor on the center node visible in-game to speed up the countdown timer. This effect will stack.

-In turn, when used by enemy Extractors, training their guns on the node will slow down the countdown timer.

-You cannot drop an Extractor but will drop it when killed. An option to pass it to teammates is possible, but it would be detrimental to gameplay to "drop" it in any way because you're still free to use your own weapons, unlike CTF.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I'm pretty sure the one I've got is a knockoff and it works fine. Might have to screw with drivers a little bit.
Yeah, people are saying you have to manually install the drivers, I'm just weary on the products lifetime or if it'll freak out and nuke my computer.

Loginius

I'd have agreed with you, maybe, if no bloom MLG Reach never surfaced. That's a far better Halo game than Halo 4 might ever be, but note that it was substantial change post launch that enabled that. With some tweaks of a similar, and in truth probably greater scale, Halo 4 might edge ahead in that contest.
Reach MLG was one of the few playlist actually worth playing imo.
The biggest Problem I had with it was that jumping and moving still didnt feel right to me, like Ramirez said it kinda felt like you were on ice.

Playing Forge all day long didnt help either.

Crucio

That guy in the video is a fool. He hates a weapon meant for CLOSE quarters use and yet he uses it to assault people by running at them. Wtf. The scattershot it a fantasfic weapon when used wisely.

Tawpgun

That guy in the video is a fool. He hates a weapon meant for CLOSE quarters use and yet he uses it to assault people by running at them. Wtf. The scattershot it a fantasfic weapon when used wisely.

What the hell did people not watch the whole video...

The entire purpose of the video is outlining how inconsistent it is. You can disintegrate someone from shotgun range, or it takes 3 shots. YOU NEVER KNOW!

Loginius

Lol get out. If someone tries to defend that video so help me god you're all blind.

Did you see the last clip?
He is way too far way from his targets so he should need 2-3 shots no?

The end is whats bullshit so I get why he was raging but that is not exactly something only halo 4 has problems with or is it?
(still some serious bullshit)

(assuming this happened because of host/lag and not because the weapon is inconsistent which seems way more likely)

Arnie

Reach MLG was one of the few playlist actually worth playing imo.
The biggest Problem I had with it was that jumping and moving still didnt feel right to me, like Ramirez said it kinda felt like you were on ice.

Playing Forge all day long didnt help either.

I can agree with that, there was definitely a disconnect that made navigation feel somewhat imprecise. As it was though, it still resembled Halo, in the way games unfolded, the scoring, the objectives, the spawning. Then you had the UI, and the core Halo gameplay once bloom was removed. Obviously the grenades were a cause for concern, but overall the package fit the demand, eventually.

Halo 4 is a long, long way off matching those standards, for me. And some things such as the UI will never return to the pinnacle that Reach was.

Crucio

What the hell did people not watch the whole video...

The entire purpose of the video is outlining how inconsistent it is. You can disintegrate someone from shotgun range, or it takes 3 shots. YOU NEVER KNOW!
Yeah ive noticed that too. I think its meant to be that way. Its called a SCATTERshot for that purpose. Sometimes all the bullets hit and sometimes not, oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom