• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overdoziz

Banned
Hey guys, I know it's a little early for this but would anyone mind if I made the next Halo OT? I'm not a big fan of Halo 4, but I still love playing the other games in the franchise. Here's an early draft of what I had in mind for the OP:

(click for bigger size)

Since it's a topic about all things Halo I found it more fitting to show something from every game and maybe even some of the other mediums instead of just the last Halo games that got released. It also included links to official topics of every game.

Tawpgun

I honestly never saw the point in 60 fps, can you even notice it?

Troll lightly boy, don't want to have juices or kyle take that comment seriously.

Might trade Fifa 12, halo 4 and a few other games in for the battlefield 3 premium pack. Good choice?

Don't trade Halo 4. Give it a bit more time. Games not even 2 months old yet.

But Battlefield is fucking awesome, especially the newest expansion pack. Only problem is as far as individual combat experience, CoD is more arcadey, and I think, more fun. But if you have at least one other teammate, let alone a full squad. Shit is SO GOOD.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Unfortunately its prioritized the lowest to the developers probably. However it would be the single greatest piece to retain and grab people to play Halo. People fail to grasp how important it is in a game of such speed.
Speeds up the gameplay and has the worst framerate in the series. Halo 4!

I'm fine with the idea of equipment but there are still several issues with it in my opinion:
  • The respawn rate is way too high. Combined with the fact that new pieces can spawn while others are still holding onto theirs makes for a chaos of equipment at times.
  • They're invisible until used. There's no way of seeing what piece of equipment someone is carrying with them. A bubble shield can pop up out of nowhere which isn't fun for the people on the receiving end.
  • The equipment pieces them selves were often frustrating to play against. Obvious examples are the flare and radar jammer which were rightfully removed from maps fairly soon. They're annoying for pretty much everyone involved and were mostly used for trolling. The bubble shield and regenerator, aside from being backpocket safety nets, slowed down the game tremendously at times. Nothing quite as annoying as getting someone one-shot only for that guy to pull out a shield or regen field and be almost completely safe, especially if they're at range. Don't even get me started on the incredibly dumb fights I've had in regen fields.

Yeah, those are other things to keep in mind.

Long respawn timers for something like a bubble shield will naturally decrease the chances of one team having more than one piece of the same equipment because over such a long time it's likely to be used. But if we're that worried about one team getting two bubble shields, then we should make it so the bubble shield doesn't spawn until it's been used and it's cycled through its respawn time.

As to being invisible, there are obviously several ways creative ways to telegraph when a person has equipment, and what that equipment. Picking up a bubble shield could make your shields pink.

If you'd be able to implement the changes outlined above, I'd think, for the people who think they're frustrating to fight against, it would make them substantially less so. I never found stuff like the bubble shield and regenerator to slow down gameplay, I'd just alter my gameplay as I saw fit every now and then, not having to alter my gameplay in every firefight, which is annoying. Even so, we could remove the more widely-regarded offensive pieces and only implement stuff like gravity lift, radar jammer, a double jump, etc.

Though I do love the bubble shield, as always.

There was less than a year gap between the games, I doubt Nintendo saw GTA 3 and decided to restart development of Sunshine in a drastic attempt to capture some of the GTA glory, a series unheard of in Japan until much later. I would even guess that there are hardly any, if any at all, employees at Nintendo who have even played GTA 3 to this day. The only real similarity between the two is that there's a hub world.

And you said that Sunshine had a bit of Vice City, San Andreas, and The Wire in it in that thread, and only The Wire existed (only for a month though) when Sunshine came out.

You're crazy, man. Although I'll agree that while Sunshine is good, it's definitely not the best Mario game.

edit: That looks awesome, Over

Might trade Fifa 12, halo 4 and a few other games in for the battlefield 3 premium pack. Good choice?

But then how will Heckfu talk shit about his FIFA game and lose to everyone?

BF3 is awesome, I'm always down to play, but I wouldn't trade in H4 quite yet. At least see what a January/February patch matchmaking changes does before trading it in.

FyreWulff

Locked 60 FPS should be a standard requirement on the Xbox 720. It is a night and day difference when you compare locked 60 FPS to the wavering 10-30 FPS on some maps in rotation in Halo 4.

Fun fact: There's been one console I know of offhand that forced 60fps. And that was the Nintendo DS. If you tried to ask it to draw more vertices than it could do in 60 frames per second, it'd just drop them.

I never met a single developer that actually liked this. Plus you'd never exploit the full potential of the console if you forced everyone to 60fps. Same if you forced everyone to 1080p. You'd just be throwing money away on features nobody would be touching to meet those specs.

ps my rock band video no longer look slike crap, not so much my playing..

Gazzawa

Hey guys, I know it's a little early for this but would anyone mind if I made the next Halo OT? I'm not a big fan of Halo 4, but I still love playing the other games in the franchise. Here's an early draft of what I had in mind for the OP:

(click for bigger size)

Since it's a topic about all things Halo I found it more fitting to show something from every game and maybe even some of the other mediums instead of just the last Halo games that got released. It also included links to official topics of every game.
+1 if u put an armour lock gif in there

GhaleonEB

People always make a big deal of how "Halo simply MUST change now that the gaming landscape has changed" - the argument is that with the rise of games like the Call of Duty franchise and the explosion in popularity then Halo MUST go down that path to compete. And I am sick and tired of this line of reasoning.

The last time that Halo was king of the hill
RIP King of the Hill
was when the were decisively different than all other first person shooters on the market. It's possible that the gaming market has changed, for better or worse, but it's also possible that Halo has lost all of this market share, and longevity, simply because it changed the Halo formula.

IIRC, Reach sold less than Halo 3, and I'd argue it was the first game to really change the fundamentals of the game (bloom, movement model, armor abilities). I don't think it's possible to point to something specific and say aha, that's why it dropped. But there's a correlation there, at least.

I know CoD has gained in popularity during Halo's run, from 3 to Reach in particular. But it's not like the series cratered; it's still a very large, successful franchise. But with Halo 4 in particular it's clear to me Microsoft wasn't content with their large slice of the pie. They're chasing CoD but somehow shedding features along the way. Baffling, really.

Tunavi

Banned
But then how will Heckfu talk shit about his FIFA game and lose to everyone?

BF3 is awesome, I'm always down to play, but I wouldn't trade in H4 quite yet. At least see what a January/February patch matchmaking changes does before trading it in.
343 has til February 1st to announce a classic playlist.

Tawpgun

343's vision is not of our own.

haha halo 5 to have ADS

The spoiled aside, I think this is the fundamental problem with 343 and the future of the franchise.

I think part of it is their actual vision is different. And another part is the industry trends...

Most of HaloGAF is against both of these.

Akai__

I'm sure you know this, but in case you don't...
Don't trade sport games like FIFA at Gamestop in. They will give you 1$...

And I wouldn't trade in Halo 4 at this time either. Who knows, maybe there will happen something.

BF3 however, is a very good choice, especially the premium thing.

---

Funny story at the end. Friend of mine, wanted to trade in the Xbox 360 (old one) at Gamestop with like 20 games. The games weren't something special and we knew, that he won't get too much for those games.
However, the salesperson at Gamestop scanned the games 1st and checked if they are in good shape. Everything was alright and he offered us like 75€ for the 20+ games. Told my friend to wait until he tells us, what we will get for the Xbox 360 and so he did.
After he checked the Xbox 360 and he told us, that it is in good shape, he offered us 0,80€ for the Xbox 360.
We were like really surprised, because it was just a ridiculous offer, so we decided to ask him, why it is such a low offer (remember you can buy a coke for like 80 cents), he replied with something like this:
"Well, the Slim is the standard Xbox console now and nobody will buy this old Xbox, so we won't be able to sell it...bla bla bla..."
We found this very ridiculous and we expected something like 50€ for the Xbox 360.

tl;dr: guy at gamestop was offering us 0,80€ for the older model of the Xbox 360...

(click for bigger size)

Id be all over an OT Like that.

Get on it.

Sprint was one of the best things to happen to Halo.

I think people are nuts to think that removing loadouts or a classic playlists would significantly eat into the COD playerbase. For the 2% ultra competitive types maybe, at best, and at the cost of the other 98%.

What Halo needs is to evolve the shooter genre, not just being complacent with taking bits from other games. But making those changes mean some old school fans *will* be left in the cold.

willow ve

I'm bored.

Star Fox 64 is so good.

Star Fox 64 really is an amazing game. Toward the end of my 64 career I think it had settled down into Super Smash Brothers, Star Fox 64, and Wayne Gretzky 3D Hockey 98 ("That goalie's a WALL!).

Goldeneye filled in between those.

Released

mxUSr.gif

BigShow36

Was there any backlash on HaloGAF when H2 (before modders took over matchmaking) came out? Just curious...

I wasn't on GAF at that point, but I know there was a shitstorm on Bungie's forums and MLG.

Who said I was trolling? Dead serious. Never really noticed a massive difference other than the frame dip in Halo is considerably worse at times.

It's not something you notice until you switch between a 30 fps game and a 60 fps game.

Arnie

Has Halo become more popular since it's introduction? No.

Does it conflict with Halo's core philosophies, whereby movement is consistent and predictable? Yes

Does it have a significant impact in how 343 have to design maps, compared to say how Bungie did in the original trilogy? Yes.

Is there a consensus that these new maps built with sprint in mind compare to maps from the original trilogy? No

Please, please outline how you've come to the conclusion you did, because I'm not seeing it.

I think people are nuts to think that removing loadouts or a classic playlists would significantly eat into the COD playerbase. For the 2% ultra competitive types maybe, at best, and at the cost of the other 98%.

That's not what I'm arguing at least. I think people need to accept that Halo's not going to leapfrog Call of Duty because it'll never be as accessible, and forgiving, and thus it's pointless sacrificing your passionate community for a sideways step.

What Halo needs is to evolve the shooter genre, not just being complacent with taking bits from other games. But making those changes mean some old school fans *will* be left in the cold.

Perhaps a few fans will be left in the cold if they try to evolve the genre, but Halo 4 isn't doing that, so throwing your fans off the cliff in an attempt to appease an existing market, one that doesn't care for your franchise is silly.

Adding sprint isn't an example of 'evolving the genre'. It's a perfect example of folding superfluous features into your franchise that don't fit, or coexist well, primarily because they're prevalent elsewhere, in games that follow a completely separate philosophy.

Who said I was trolling? Dead serious. Never really noticed a massive difference other than the frame dip in Halo is considerably worse at times.

If you have or can get a copy of BioShock 2 for consoles, play with and without V-Sync enabled. Night and day difference.

Has Halo become more popular since it's introduction? No.
And old school Halo would do so? This is where we disagree.

The genre, and Halo has to move forward. And no I don't think Halo 4 does that. Halo 4 is a Halo/COD hybrid, where some of the changes worked much better than others.

Basically I'd like to see Halo's principles expanded upon, but not by going back to Halo 2, and not by trying to have a shooter-baby with Call of Duty.

Was there any backlash on HaloGAF when H2 (before modders took over matchmaking) came out? Just curious...

Yes but it was a good enough game to continue to carry high numbers. I wouldnt say the same for Halo 4/Reach. The games are getting worse. A lot of technical fixes need to be applied and updated. The game is just falling apart, losing features, becoming glitchy, they literally dont seem to be able to program something to work correctly without an error of some kind in it...

Talents try to look at this site, and see the difference: http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html , next step realize you are staring at a slow moving box and already notice a difference, and when you play Halo you are literally interacting with it with a controller that has input lag, with lag over the internet, and realize that things move a lot faster than that box in the game. So just by default you want the best possible framework for the game of Halo. You'd obviously choose a smooth 60fps so all visuals can be seen quicker/smoother, putting less strain on your brain to complete the animations in your head. The advantages are just so clear. Switch back and forth between 60fps CoD, PC games, and Halo and youll notice the difference.

Also a higher FPS generally can equal less input lag which is the MS's between the controller input and the action result in the game. In simple terms.

Arnie

And old school Halo would do so? This is where we disagree.

The genre, and Halo has to move forward. And no I don't think Halo 4 does that.

We have to look at the reality, though, and there is no evidence that Halo: Reach, or Halo 4 wouldn't have sold what it did without sprint.

What we do know is, if sprint and those features like it, added to appease different audiences that haven't embraced the game, were not included then a large portion of passionate Halo fans who haven't played the game in over a month would be playing it now.

Where's the evidence that Halo had to eat features from Call of Duty, and regurgitate them?

I agree with you that the Halo franchise constantly needs to evolve, and move forwards. It did between the original trilogy, but it did so conforming to a set of principles, and never betraying them. And it remained incredibly popular. It wasn't as if Halo 3 was a desert, its online population was greater than that of Halo 2. Then Reach and Halo 4 came out and it nosedived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom