• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtbag

Managed two games before quitting in a pit of frustration and sadness. Boltshot camouflage seemed to be order of the day on both Complex and Adrift, and I was being sniped by invisible Spartans who'd got fortunate with their personal ordnance. So many terrible, terrible balance decisions it's beyond belief.

Halo 4 is far worse than Reach, for me. Bloom was bad, no doubt, and the slower movement options sucked, too, but there's an absolute wealth of almost equally inane decisions in Halo 4 that combine and transform into one humungous pile of nonsense.

The problem is, the little faults all add up and multiply, and my patience is so thin that even little things start to rile me up whilst playing. I'm being pinged by a DMR from the other side of Complex immediately after I spawn, immediately, and I'm just too tired to even bother continuing. It's a consistent stream of poor game design, wrapped around a solid core that's entirely Bungie's doing, and I'm struggle to give a shit and play through it.

I can't think of one thing that 343 have added to multiplayer which I believe fits Halo, or makes sense. I could write 3,000 words on the changes they've made which I believe do the opposite.

Like I said, if you can turn your brain off you can enjoy 4. But its not the thinking man's shooter anymore.

DMR could be fixed by a simple rate of fire tweak. Probably the easiest way to fix it. Just a hair slower to fire off and you've got a balanced weapon when set against the BR. I don't even care that the DMR is king personally. There is always one standout weapon in every game. So many other things are far more damaging to the Halo experience in 4 that a more balanced DMR is far from the top off my list.

Pop

Managed two games before quitting in a pit of frustration and sadness. Boltshot camouflage seemed to be order of the day on both Complex and Adrift, and I was being sniped by invisible Spartans who'd got fortunate with their personal ordnance. So many terrible, terrible balance decisions it's beyond belief.

Halo 4 is far worse than Reach, for me. Bloom was bad, no doubt, and the slower movement options sucked, too, but there's an absolute wealth of almost equally inane decisions in Halo 4 that combine and transform into one humungous pile of nonsense.

The problem is, the little faults all add up and multiply, and my patience is so thin that even little things start to rile me up whilst playing. I'm being pinged by a DMR from the other side of Complex immediately after I spawn, immediately, and I'm just too tired to even bother continuing. It's a consistent stream of poor game design, wrapped around a solid core that's entirely Bungie's doing, and I'm struggle to give a shit and play through it.

I can't think of one thing that 343 have added to multiplayer which I believe fits Halo, or makes sense. I could write 3,000 words on the changes they've made which I believe do the opposite.

I just literally tried to play one game of Halo 4 after not playing for a month and I was just smh the whole time.

This is not Halo to me. I was laughing and smirking at how pathetic its attempt was at trying to succeed off the name of a great franchise.

Dirtbag

well they got the player controls and the feel of the guns mostly right.

Vehicles are all boring and deathtraps. Even the overpowered mantis is boring to pilot around.
Destroying a Mantis might be the most confusing thing in this game. I never know when its going down, if my shots are registering, or how many shots to expect it to take to blow up. Thankfully I rarely set foot in playlists that feature it, but every once when I get bored of playing the same 4 maps over and over in slayer playlists I get the itch to play something else.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Yesterday I found something really weird.my internet is 50 up 50 down and decided to throttle my connection to around 1 down and 512 Kbps up and what do you know every shoot register and the game feel so different wtf? The crappier the connexion the better the experience?

Pop

Yesterday I found something really weird.my internet is 50 up 50 down and decided to throttle my connection to around 1 down and 512 Kbps up and what do you know every shoot register and the game feel so different wtf? The crappier the connexion the better the experience?

That's been the case for every online fps. Got to remember xbl caps everyones internet real low, like 3 down and 1 up before anything else.

Seems that people with terrible connections get host.

Lots of us were skeptical, but warnings without playing the game are pretty empty.

You don't always need to play a game to know certain things. Guys here didn't like the perks and it was confirmed to be in before E3. There was a lot of things in general that i knew this day would come for sure.

Fuchsdh

That's been the case for every online fps. Got to remember xbl caps every internet real low, like 3 down and 1 up before anything else.

And hopefully the 720 will raise the cap to a reasonable level. This generation sucked in part because of a lot of transitioning--SD to HD, dialup and DSL to cable and fiber, etc.

OverHeat

« generous god »
That's been the case for every online fps. Got to remember xbl caps every internet real low, like 3 down and 1 up before anything else.

Suck to be at a disadvantage for having a good connexion...

Dirtbag

You don't always need to play a game to know certain things. Guys here didn't like the perks and it was confirmed to be in before E3. There was a lot of things in general that i knew this day would come for sure.

Yeah but we still had no idea how any of it would be implemented, or that there wouldnt be classic options or playlists that catered to the rest of us.

willow ve

Lots of us were skeptical, but warnings without playing the game are pretty empty.

And yet praise without playing the game was bandied about like absolute truth.

here's another novel idea.
Once host quits and the connection needs to be re-established.
Choose a host only from the winning team. So tired of decimating a team of quitters that repeatedly get selected as host so you get 3 blackscreens in a row as they quit out.

Better idea - Halo 5 - Xbox 720 - Dedicated Servers
probably a deciding factor for me on purchasing Halo 5 in the future

Dirtbag

here's another novel idea.
Once host quits and the connection needs to be re-established.
Choose a host only from the winning team. So tired of decimating a team of quitters that repeatedly get selected as host so you get 3 blackscreens in a row as they quit out.

Yeah but we still had no idea how any of it would be implemented, or that there wouldnt be classic options or playlists that catered to the rest of us.

The fact that it was in alone was bad,that doesn't belong in Halo period. Even if there was a playlist the maps were already made having the perks and sprint in mind so it will be moot.

Tawpgun

This is the attitude that helped the game become what it is.

The entire CONCEPT of perks went against what I thought was a core tenant of Halo. It's just more random shit to add to gameplay, not only that but we knew about them before 343 even MENTIONED them.

This goes for almost every aspect of the game. Leakers revealed all this shit WAY before 343 did. I know its kind of jumping the gun, but I feel that 343 KNEW these changes were going to be VERY controversial, and decided not to make a big deal about them. Hell, even before launch we weren't given a clear picture of how things worked.

We also saw Global Ordnance and Instant Respawn coming from a mile away. No way those changes are better than we saw before.

Like Syphon said, you don't need to play the game to realize something is a bad decision.

m23

I guess I'll jump on that Walking Dead deal. Might as well get some points for that Horizon Rally pack. Man it's been a few days since I played Halo lol.

Dirtbag

This is the attitude that helped the game become what it is.

The entire CONCEPT of perks went against what I thought was a core tenant of Halo. It's just more random shit to add to gameplay, not only that but we knew about them before 343 even MENTIONED them.

This goes for almost every aspect of the game. Leakers revealed all this shit WAY before 343 did. I know its kind of jumping the gun, but I feel that 343 KNEW these changes were going to be VERY controversial, and decided not to make a big deal about them. Hell, even before launch we weren't given a clear picture of how things worked.

We also saw Global Ordnance and Instant Respawn coming from a mile away. No way those changes are better than we saw before.

Like Syphon said, you don't need to play the game to realize something is a bad decision.

We knew once a new studio was taking over that it wasn't going to be the same game it always was. Most of us were so tired of Reach's crap that we were ready for something new.

I know I wasn't one with a didact avatar. I only got excited after watching some videos of MP and even then I knew PV was a wreck. Custom options have always been the saving grace of halo. Even Halo 2 in all it's glory would have been a vastly different game without the custom game options and just SMG starts. I dont really care about all the perks and AA's because if there is just one playlist for me without all that, I'll have something to play.

Unfortunately I have gimped grenades without that perk, or this horrible flinch system without stability, or a boltshot loadout, and ordinance drops, and no weapon/powerup placement on the maps because the system they built doesnt have these custom options.

They spend time and resources on armor mods and balancing some lame perk system against each other, instead of giving me a few more MP maps. Or nailing down the weapon balance.

Destiny better be fucking good or I'm probably packing it up till something gets me excited on the next gen consoles.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
If Xbox.com would work I'd buy the final 2 episodes of Walking Dead.

Need to jump on some Halo 4 tonight, been hard to get gaming in over the holidays. Just been playing Persona 4 Golden mainly. I'm itching for Halo 4 though.

Heh it's funny seeing more and more realizing what Halo 4 is. I warned many even before E3 this was coming but it looks like no one believed me.

What Halo 4 "is?" Well if you mean fantastic core gameplay marred by some confusing decisions then sure. I've already ate my hat over thinking global ordinance could work, but I still have a blast with the rest of the game. Keep personal ordinance in Infinity playlists, and give some more options for "classic" settings in other playlists and you're fine. I honestly think they rejuvenated CTF, and made some of the other objective types more fun to play. I'd have never played an oddball playlists before 4, but the passing made it much more dynamic and "sport-like." I also enjoy Infinity playlists. They aren't classic Halo, no, and they seem to lean a bit more into Fiesta territory (not a lot though) but they are fun.

Striker

First off, I vehemently disagree with those saying the Brute Shot was a useless weapon. At least for the Halo 3 version, it was very effective at overturning vehicles and I got a lot of infantry kills with it (and if the vehicle was weak enough, vehicle kills with it too). Great weapon. H3 version was the best because it didn't have that unpredictable, annoying bounce to it that the H2 version had.
Halo 3's Brute Shot bounced vehicles around, just like the Concussion Rifle does. They're two of the more identical weapons in the series, despite looking completely different. Halo 2's version was quite different than each, notably with being able to arc your shots, giving a bit more skill in flipping a Warthog by fitting it under the vehicle. I don't see how on Earth you can find aiming it to be unpredictable. If the Grenade Launcher in Reach had a bit more power (vs. vehicles) and lost the EMP effect, there's your new version of the H2 Brute Shot.

TheOddOne

They spend time and resources on armor mods and balancing some lame perk system against each other, instead of giving me a few more MP maps. Or nailing down the weapon balance.
I wish the industry would just move on from carrot-on-stick systems in all games.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I wish the industry would just move on from carrot-on-stick systems in all games.

I like it a lot in CoD games. Although of late they've taken it to the extreme. It's nice to gain something for leveling up. I don't really need it in Halo, but I like the armor unlocks. I'd say keep it aesthetic for Halo. Skins and armor is 100% fine with me for this series.

Dirtbag

Halo 2 had the ultimate carrot on a stick.
It was one single, universal number. Your fucking ranking.
Everyone could see it, it was all the e-cred you needed.

It meant so much people cheated every which way to get them. But it was what people lusted after.

willow ve

I like it a lot in CoD games. Although of late they've taken it to the extreme. It's nice to gain something for leveling up. I don't really need it in Halo, but I like the armor unlocks. I'd say keep it aesthetic for Halo. Skins and armor is 100% fine with me for this series.

Carrot on stick works great in RPG style games (or mashups like Borderlands). When you introduce them into a competitive multiplayer and then let players choose what they spawn with you end up with a clusterfuck of choices that are impossible to balance.

Dirtbag

Carrot on stick works great in RPG style games (or mashups like Borderlands). When you introduce them into a competitive multiplayer and then let players choose what they spawn with you end up with a clusterfuck of choices that are impossible to balance.
100% agree.

And then you start losing time in development and features start disappearing to meet launch.

FyreWulff

It meant so much people cheated every which way to get them. But it was what people lusted after.

And it was worthless due to all the cheating.

TheOddOne

Some of the challenges can be fun, but most of the time they grief other players and actually supports bad behavior. There are various ways on how it could be improved, but eventually the best way is to just not include it. People will start learning the maps, weapons and how to control the overall flow. People will do that because that becomes the challenge.

It was one of the best carrots on the stick, because it was just one number. With it was tied skill, something that boosted the game. When people talk about Halo 2, they talk about the gameplay more than anything. That is what I want games to go back to.

Dirtbag

And it was worthless due to all the cheating.

I think carrot on a stick gaming is all worthless. But just think how simple and effective was the Halo 2 system. Rather then build a whole game around unlocks and progression and marketing tie-ins and fucking Mountain Dew codes and pre-order bonuses... one simple number accomplished all of the addiction and the time and energy is spent on more important areas of the game.

Halo 3's Brute Shot bounced vehicles around, just like the Concussion Rifle does. They're two of the more identical weapons in the series, despite looking completely different. Halo 2's version was quite different than each, notably with being able to arc your shots, giving a bit more skill in flipping a Warthog by fitting it under the vehicle. I don't see how on Earth you can find aiming it to be unpredictable. If the Grenade Launcher in Reach had a bit more power (vs. vehicles) and lost the EMP effect, there's your new version of the H2 Brute Shot.

I don't see how bouncing around vehicles is a knock against it. There was plenty of times in Halo 3 where I flipped over a Warthog, a Ghost, or a Chopper with that thing then used plasma grenades to finish the job. 'Twas fun! Besides, you could always try to hit the ground near the vehicle, and that had some effect.

I remember it being unpredictable and hard to aim. Never got the hang of it because you can't control when the grenade explodes, sometimes bouncing it near an opponent will send the grenade flying beyond any useful damage it does.

And, no, just losing the EMP effect and having more oomph doesn't make the grenade launcher like the H2 Brute Shot. You have more control over the bounce, you can control when the grenade explodes, direct impact beyond a certain distance is a one-hit kill. Before that distance you have to get it close enough for it to be a one-hit kill, and that was doable because of your ability to control when the grenade explodes. Additionally, pro-pipe is far more useful against vehicle occupants than the H2 Brute Shot ever was. That chance against of getting the one-hit kill is invaluable, especially with the EMP effect.

I never found the H2 Brute Shot as useful against infantry as the H3 Brute Shot. I always wanted to pick up Halo 3's version and was way more successful with it. Halo 2's I just avoided if I didn't want to try it out.

Dirtbag

I don't see how bouncing around vehicles is a knock against it. There was plenty of times in Halo 3 where I flipped over a Warthog, a Ghost, or a Chopper with that thing then used plasma grenades to finish the job. 'Twas fun!

I remember it being unpredictable and hard to aim. Never got the hang of it because you can't control when the grenade explodes, sometimes bouncing it near an opponent will send the grenade flying beyond any useful damage you can do.

And, no, just losing the EMP effect and having more oomph doesn't make the grenade launcher like the H2 Brute Shot. You have more control over the bounce, you can control when the grenade explodes, direct impact beyond a certain distance is a one-hit kill. Before that distance you have to get it close enough for it to be a one-hit kill, and that was doable because of your ability to control when the grenade could explode. Additionally, pro-pipe is far more useful against vehicle occupants than the H2 Brute Shot ever was. That chance against of getting the one-hit kill is invaluable, especially with the EMP effect.

I never found the H2 Brute Shot as useful against infantry as the H3 Brute Shot. I always wanted to pick up Halo 3's version was way more successful with it. Halo 2's I just avoided if I didn't want to try it out.

And the clip in the brute shot vs the grenade launcher.
I miss the grenade launcher, hate that the sticky detonator was what we get in place of it.
Halo 3 brute shot was lots of fun to use. I actually wish the concussion rifle dialed up the bouncy factor even more. I don't even care if its hard to kill with, it'd be lots of fun to launch people around with it and cause general chaos.

I never cared for rank in Halo 2,i played it because it was fun. That is how it was last gen.

Dirtbag

not really, sorry to rain on your parade but you weren't near to being the only one predicting things and being cautious.
Seriously

8317825719_480dbfbe81_b.jpg

rakka

probably lag. when I have a laggy match some hilarious shit happens. sometimes I end up teleporting to the other side a map.

JHall

Heh it's funny seeing more and more realizing what Halo 4 is. I warned many even before E3 this was coming but it looks like no one believed me.

You might have, but when you say things like that the Halo 3 AR was a good starting weapon. People aren't going to take you seriously.

willow ve

I blame it all on the Conan footage. No AA, no perks, BR starts - only played on Haven. There were gifs of that shit for months. Only later did we find out about the heaps and heaps of "ideas" that were layered on top of the "feels like Halo" experience we were once shown teased with.

Pop

I blame it all on the Conan footage. No AA, no perks, BR starts - only played on Haven. There were gifs of that shit for months. Only later did we find out about the heaps and heaps of "ideas" that were layered on top of the "feels like Halo" experience we were once shown teased with.

Bingo!

So misleading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom