• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like most things, the devil is in the details; a game lives and dies not by its concepts but its implementation.

Nope,the fact that they are in alone means the game was going to be crap. I knew that they were going to copy cod as soon as i saw the info. I have seen this same story with many other franchises getting ruined due to ripping off cod. SOCOM being one of the many that fell for the same thing.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Nope,the fact that they are in alone means the game was going to be crap. I knew that they were going to copy cod as soon as i saw the info. I have seen this same story with many other franchises getting ruined due to ripping off cod. SOCOM being one of the many that fell for the same thing.

People who worked on socom worked on H4.....

Fuchsdh

Frankly you sound like a hipster jerk. "No guys I was the first one to hate Nickelback!"

Just because you don't like certain features in Halo 4 doesn't mean you wouldn't like them in another game or utilized differently.

And even if you hate Halo 4, what kind of pathetic points are you trying to score by crowing that you hated it before other people actually played the game?

u4iX

Trust us.
Feels like Halo.

Another thing that even bothers me more than saying it feels like Halo, was the fact they touted the ability to recreate classic modes.

That option not only doesn't exist within the actual gametypes found in Halo 4 (no assault, no one flag, no territories), but there exists major technical bugs within the custom options themselves that disallow players to even change things like instant respawn or griffball arm time or waypoints over the flag carriers.

Couple this with no online file browser and you really cripple the Halo experience most have come to expect since Halo 3. Even more so, the custom options in Halo 2 for custom gametypes seem more robust at this point, not in terms of weapon placement using forge or things of that natural, but being able to create one sided gametypes with specific spawn times, weapon starts, and objective arm times and waypoints.

Frankly you sound like a hipster jerk. "No guys I was the first one to hate Nickelback!"

Just because you don't like certain features in Halo 4 doesn't mean you wouldn't like them in another game or utilized differently.

And even if you hate Halo 4, what kind of pathetic points are you trying to score by crowing that you hated it before other people actually played the game?

I would have preferred if they actually did something new instead of ripping off cod directly.

TheOddOne

How could you disagree with what he said? You seem to be fronting at the mouth to spout off.
01laugh.gif

Let me lay it out for you: concepts can sound good or decent on paper, but the implementation is what is key. If it's poor you could see the problems from a far.

Dirtbag

I do find it funny that a few folks here like to think that everyone hates Halo 4 in its entirety.
Me to.
I actually enjoy the game a good bit, I play it about every other day for little spurts...

But it is insanely dissapointing at what could have been, and the overall direction the entire series (and gaming) is heading in

Kuroyume

Banned
They're usually deceptive or just really evasive like that. Ask for months and months before game came out if flag throwing was in... They eventually reveal that you're stuck with the flag. Ask for months and months if assault is like the H2 versions. It wasn't like two weeks before the game out before it was revealed there is no assault mode. And, wasn't it a bunch of pirates that revealed that anyway?

heckfu

Banned
I would be incredibly interested to see them implement a classic playlist. Just want to see what population numbers would be, ya know.

Dirtbag

I would be incredibly interested to see them implement a classic playlist. Just want to see what population numbers would be, ya know.

Damage is done. It's like when a console launches and you try and release a new add-on attachment down the road.

TheOddOne

They're usually deceptive or just really evasive like that. Ask for months and months before game came out if flag throwing was in... They eventually reveal that you're stuck with the flag. Ask for months and months if assault is like the H2 versions. It wasn't like two weeks before the game out before it was revealed there is no assault mode. And, wasn't it a bunch of pirates that revealed that anyway?
Yep. 343 communication before, during and after launch has been the most inconsistent thing ever. Even with his short stint already, Bravo has given us more info.

How could you disagree with what he said? You seem to be fronting at the mouth to spout off.
01laugh.gif

Let me lay it out for you: concepts can sound good or decent on paper, but the implementation is what is key. If it's poor you could see the problems from a far.

Yea i get what he means but again the fact that it's in in general is bad. They blatantly put it just because cod has it.

TheOddOne

Yea i get what he means but again the fact that it's in in general is bad. They blatantly put it just because cod has it.
That was his point? We all knew that it was lifted from COD, but expected it to be much better. It wasn't, it is poor and people rightfully called them out for it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Same.

This has been my thing all along. I dislike some of 343's changes, but a lot of people here like to tout population numbers like HaloGaf was right all along and everyone 100% agrees with HaloGaf on why the population is low.

I asked before, but what if Halo in general is just not as popular as it once was? Why does it have to be that everyone hates all the changes? Maybe it's half and half, who knows.

Dirtbag

No pressure bungie, but your next game better be fucking good.
All developers do nowadays is fucking talk.

Vidocs ontop of vidocs

Tunavi

Banned
I asked before, but what if Halo in general is just not as popular as it once was? Why does it have to be that everyone hates all the changes? Maybe it's half and half, who knows.
People stopped playing Halo because Reach and 4 are bad Halo games.

People don't want armor abilities and complicated, saturated sandboxes. People want consistently fun, simple combat. Reach and 4 do not have this.

789shadow

Banned

People don't want armor abilities and complicated sandboxes. People want consistently fun, simple combat.
No, people stopped playing Halo because CoD came out and the vast majority of people will play whatever shooter is the most popular at that moment.

J10

Banned

Look on the bright side: the market leader now has competitive ranking and a theater mode superior to Halo 3's. You have stuff to look forward to for Halo 5.

I can tell you the exact moment I will check out completely: when ADS is implemented.

Striker

Even if a classic playlist was implemented properly (which it won't, never has before in a Halo game), it won't have super high numbers. People flock to Infinity in this game, no different than games prior. People drove to Social Slayer in Halo 3 rather than MLG. They ran to vanilla Team Slayer than MLG or other better alternatives in Reach, and it won't be any different in Halo 4.

That was his point? We all knew that it was lifted from COD, but expected it to be much better. It wasn't, it is poor and people rightfully called them out for it.

Maybe it's because i've seen many franchises go down due to similar situations but i don't think copying and then changing it up is a good idea. If anything they should have tried to push the genre forward and do something that has never been done before.

Dirtbag

People don't want armor abilities and complicated sandboxes. People want consistently fun, simple combat.

Huge generalizations.
There are no universals. Just like you can't balance something with so many factors, you can't balance a statement on Halo like that either.

All you can do is offer options and see what sticks. Remember how infection started out in Halo 2?
People made that mode up and manually switched teams. You need custom option controls and the game will evolve into itself.

That's because every "classic" playlist attempt has failed to include a lot of the classic gameplay mechanics.

If they do a classic playlist it will probably still end up including Global Ordinance and Instant Respawn...

Thing is it doesn't matter; the whole game should be "classic settings".

No more AA's. No more Global Ordinance. No more loadouts and sprint. No more excuses from 343. I want Halo back.

Havok

That's because every "classic" playlist attempt has failed to include a lot of the classic gameplay mechanics.
Plus, those attempts were generally clumsily thrown together using the imprecise player trait options (Anny Classic, Team Classic), were composed entirely of Forge maps (Team Classic), or were hidden behind a paywall (Anny Classic).

It hasn't been done correctly yet. Maybe this time it will be, but who knows.

People don't want armor abilities and complicated, saturated sandboxes. People want consistently fun, simple combat. Reach and 4 do not have this.

Reach's population numbers were solid through it's almost 2-year time on the market. A few months before Halo 4's release, it had better numbers than Halo 4 does now. The notion that a 'pure' Halo would have exceeded those numbers at the height of COD's power (where MW2, BO, and MW3 were all in the top 10) seems a little silly.

Speaking of which, why the fuck did 343i get rid of the Reach ranking system? It was a smart mix of leveling up AND reaching skill rankings to unlock the next tier. The ranks actually meant something skill-wise, whereas now you can click on a dude with a high level and see he's 2000 kills below even.

Dirtbag

Plus, those attempts were generally clumsily thrown together using the imprecise player trait options (Anny Classic, Team Classic), were composed entirely of Forge maps (Team Classic), or were hidden behind a paywall (Anny Classic).

It hasn't been done correctly yet. Maybe this time it will be, but who knows.

I never even bought Anniversary as Reach completely lost me by then. It was too little too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom