• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to agree with you, Tashi. The differences in each of the weapons should be a bit more balanced so that there's less of a clear cut winner in the DMR. Whether that means buffing the other ones, or nerfing the DMR remains to be seen.

But I do like having the choice.

I think if you slow down the rate of fire on the DMR so that it isn't as much of a short-range threat would be fine. It would still out-class the BR (with it's spread) at range, but at least the BR with it's increased DPS would have the advantage closer than mid-range.

Light Rifle... I don't know, it seems like a redundant addition. It's great zoomed, worthless not zoomed, so it seems like a liability compared to the BR or LR.

Carbine is fine. Maybe an increase in clip size for an advantage in extended firefights. I don't use it as a primary compared to the DMR, but I love picking them up off bodies and using them as a secondary when I run out of AR ammo (that thing, btw, could probably use a decrease in accuracy... just a tad).

BR is also fine. It feels so good, it's almost sad that it's so outclassed by the DMR in its current form.

Dirtbag

I think if you slow down the rate of fire on the DMR so that it isn't as much of a short-range threat would be fine. It would still out-class the BR (with it's spread) at range, but at least the BR with it's increased DPS would have the advantage closer than mid-range.

Light Rifle... I don't know, it seems like a redundant addition. It's great zoomed, worthless not zoomed, so it seems like a liability compared to the BR or LR.

Carbine is fine. I don't use it as a primary compared to the DMR, but I love picking them up off bodies and using them as a secondary when I run out of AR ammo (that thing, btw, could probably use a decrease in accuracy... just a tad).

BR is also fine. It feels so good, it's almost sad that it's so outclassed by the DMR in its current form.
If only the DMR's were a more limited map pickup item. Definitely doesnt seem powerful enough to warrant an ordinance drop, but in the oldschool map pickup modes.. It would be perfectly suited to have 2 (maybe 3) map spawns locations.

If only the DMR's were a more limited map pickup item. Definitely doesnt seem powerful enough to warrant an ordinance drop, but in the oldschool map pickup modes.. It would be perfectly suited to have 2 (maybe 3) map spawns locations.

Hmmmm.... I'm conflicted. Honestly, if I had a DMR come down in an ordinance drop along with a speed boost and plasma grenades, I would probably go for the DMR...

I think an interesting way of giving the carbine a role might be in giving it an even larger clip size and/or maybe some sort of plasma stun ala HaloCE. Keep that longer kill time, but buff it in a different manner.

That's interesting.

I would like to try this:

-Globally reduce flinch by 25-50% (or just reintroduce de-scoping)

-Make BR 4-shot, with 12x3 shots per clip. 3 kills/clip. Hitscan. No bloom. Slightly increase "aim-assist" distance by 10% or so. Remove recoil. Perhaps slightly increase burst timing.
-Increase base LR ammo. Make it hit-scan, with the same clip size, 4 shot kill, etc. No bloom. (OR alternatively, make LR an energy weapon like the Focus Rifle, either always, or when scoped in, with greater damage when the beam is on the head. Have kill times similar to DMR/BR)
-Reduce "aim-assist"/red-reticle distance on DMR by 10-25%. Hitscan. No bloom. 3 kills/clip.
-Make Carbine have equal kill time to the BR, but have it run on a battery that overheats, rather than clips. Pacing your shots to avoid the overheat is what's important, say an overheat happens after 14 fast shots, with a 7 kill, pacing can make the overheat happen later at like 21 rounds or something. No bloom. Hitscan.

All precision weapons are hitscan, without bloom.

This way you have 4 distinct rifles:

BR: Mid Range burst
DMR: Mid-Long range precision
Carbine: Mid-Range trigger-happy
LR: Mid-Long range focus

Makes me want more robust custom settings for weapon/sandbox balancing/tweaking...

Dirtbag

Hmmmm.... I'm conflicted. Honestly, if I had a DMR come down in an ordinance drop along with a speed boost and plasma grenades, I would probably go for the DMR...

3 loadouts for classic mode.

BR / Pistol / 2 Frags
Carbine / Pistol / 2 Plasma Grenades
AR / Pistol / 2 Frags

No flinch / descoping instead.

DMR and LR's as mappickups only (along with the rest of the sandbox for the map).

3 loadouts for classic mode.

BR / Pistol / 2 Frags
Carbine / Pistol / 2 Plasma Grenades
AR / Pistol / 2 Frags

No flinch / descoping instead.

DMR and LR's as mappickups only (along with the rest of the sandbox for the map).

Eh, the AR isn't quite effective enough in that company. I'd rather see it nerfed and included a secondary weapon option.

Either that, or buff the pistol up to the point where it can stand toe to toe with a BR at mid-range (maybe it can... I barely use the fucking thing, I typically run with DMR/AR, and the only time I see people using it is when they're carrying a flag).

Dirtbag

Eh, the AR isn't quite effective enough in that company. I'd rather see it nerfed and included a secondary weapon option.

Either that, or buff the pistol up to the point where it can stand toe to toe with a BR at mid-range (maybe it can... I barely use the fucking thing, I typically run with DMR/AR, and the only time I see people using it is when they're carrying a flag).

Having played with the AR in a handful of matches, I actually think they finally got it right. It can definitely hang with the big boys in a sprint environment. I think if you remove sprint, then it becomes a secondary weapon easily

TCKaos

Any losers not going out tonight wanna ring in the new year with Halo 3 or Halo 2 Vista?

Maybe, but I've got to pump out one more run before 2012 ends. It'll be the first full year of working out. My body is ready.

If we can get enough for one bomb/flag on anything it'd give me a bit of a stiffy.

Akai__

Check out the File Share of OGhostayame for official MLG v1 settings and maps.

Chiig is posting the map overviews on Twitter right now. Looks a little bit chaotic, but who knows, how it will play out.

My last hope is the ranked playlist and the MLG playlist. Please be good!

Awww shiet...

Edit: Wow these are boring.

-Only one loadout: 5 shot BR starts, 2 frag, resupply, explosives

-Personal ordnance is either Thruster Pack left, Hologram down, or Hardlight Shield right.

-Looks to have 110% movement speed.

-Nevermind

-Couple power weapons on the map, Sticky Detonator, Sniper, Overshield pickup.

-Adrift, Haven, Fixed Relay, Abandon, Solace and Simplex.

-Removed Lockout completely :(

I guess it could be worse, the settings aren't terrible, but they certainly aren't as exciting as what they were during testing.

A lot of what wrote isn't 100% accurate.

Just went 5-0 on Abandon 3 games in a row.

Even on the winning side, I can say that map is the dumbest CTF map ever.

Having played with the AR in a handful of matches, I actually think they finally got it right. It can definitely hang with the big boys in a sprint environment. I think if you remove sprint, then it becomes a secondary weapon easily

Oh, I love the AR. I actually really liked it in Reach too. I just wouldn't feel comfortable with only it and a pistol to start the game.

But I feel VERY comfortable with a DMR/AR start. Pretty much unstoppable, in fact.

Havok

Just went 5-0 on Abandon 3 games in a row.

Even on the winning side, I can say that map is the dumbest CTF map ever.
It and Complex CTF are tied for the 2012 "As Dumb as Ghost Town Neutral Bomb" award. Spawning Abandon beachside is an uphill battle (literally) the entire way. Complex's red flag spawns in a well-covered area with fast escape routes for carriers (that gravity lift in particular), blue team's spawns in the middle of a killing field with...a rock and a tiny building that has no safe exits for carrier routes.

I have to wonder at what point during development they decided there would be no asymmetric gametypes, because that decision sure didn't shine through to their map design, considering there are a whopping 4 maps on the disc that are truly symmetrical.

Pop

Chiig is posting the map overviews on Twitter right now. Looks a little bit chaotic, but who knows, how it will play out.

My last hope is the ranked playlist and the MLG playlist. Please be good!

I got sum bad news...

The ranking system was confirmed to come early 2013 and it's only a matter of time, when the MLG playlists gets released, too. Now, that they have v1 settings, it won't take too long, I guess.

Didn't they also confirm that the ranking system would be accessible/viewable through waypoint only and not a true, public ranking system a la Halo 2 or Halo 3?

It and Complex CTF are tied for the 2012 "As Dumb as Ghost Town Neutral Bomb" award. Spawning Abandon beachside is an uphill battle (literally) the entire way. Complex's red flag spawns in a well-covered area with fast escape routes for carriers (that gravity lift in particular), blue team's spawns in the middle of a killing field with...a rock and a tiny building that has no safe exits for carrier routes.

I have to wonder at what point during development they decided there would be no asymmetric gametypes, because that decision sure didn't shine through to their map design, considering there are a whopping 4 maps on the disc that are truly symmetrical.

....Now you have me thinking how fun those maps would be for asymmetrical gametypes like Assault or 1-flag.

And I'm crying...

Didn't they also confirm that the ranking system would be accessible/viewable through waypoint only and not a true, public ranking system a la Halo 2 or Halo 3?

I think they said that it would be that way, at least initially.

--

Apparently there's a Needler and AR on Adrift. Strange for MLG...

aPK

Neo Member
Really?

You think we need FOUR rifles, THREE sniper rifles, TWO rocket launches (one of which doesn't require aiming), TWO shotguns (plus the sword, which is basically a shotgun in purpose), etc?

This sandbox has so much damn overlap, it's ridiculous.

Compare that to Reach, where the Needle Rifle and DMR had distinct strengths and weaknesses. Hell, one of them you could choose to go for a headshot, or just hammer the trigger for a combine.

I meant more along the lines of every weapon is good. The overlap bothers me, but it's better than having completely inferior weapons in the sandbox.

I meant more along the lines of every weapon is good. The overlap bothers me, but it's better than having completely inferior weapons in the sandbox.

I guess. But it seems like every role in the sandbox has a clear BEST, except for shotties, where I would call the shotgun has a slight winner due to consistency.

Akai__

It's v1, it will improve over time. Remember Reach MLG?

...Now you have me thinking how fun those maps would be for asymmetrical gametypes like Assault or 1-flag.

And I'm crying...

Yeah. I think the reason was cheaters and account sellers. Don't know how this will stop it, but atleast, there is one...

There are always cheater and it's sad, that all of us, have to suffer, because of them!

Havok

Apparently there's a Needler and AR on Adrift. Strange for MLG...
I'm more surprised that they're embracing global ordnance. They've got the railgun on static spawn times for a few of the maps, but I could see close matches being decided by a lucky drop at some point down the line.
....Now you have me thinking how fun those maps would be for asymmetrical gametypes like Assault or 1-flag.

And I'm crying...
I'm not convinced that with the settings they're using for the gametypes we have, the asymmetric gametypes would be any good. I don't think I want to play 1 Flag where the carrier has a waypoint.

Still, their omission is strange.

It's v1, it will improve over time. Remember Reach MLG?

Yeah. I think the reason was cheaters and account sellers. Don't know how this will stop it, but atleast, there is one...

There are always cheater and it's sad, that all of us, have to suffer, because of them!

Yeah, I actually don't think these are as bad as I thought. It looks fun. Only a few things I don't like, but this is a pretty decent starting point anyway.

There's a lot of good stuff here. Namely, fixed maps, Extraction, OS pickup, predictable Personal ordnance and DMR pickups. Decent rotation of gametypes, too. I'm sure KOTH and Oddball will return once Instant Respawn gets a disable option in the future. Good on them for adding in Extraction.

Better stream: http://www.twitch.tv/absolutely

Moa

Well these v1 settings look promising.

RIP in peace Storm Rifle secondary starts.
We loved you MLG t3.

Kuroyume

Banned
The overlap is there because people like to have choices. If you have one weapon and not the other people will complain. How is it that other FPS titles can have multiple rifles, snipers, etc but Halo apparently isn't allowed to?

Enfinit

Props to MLG for adding Extraction. I have a feeling that might be ridiculously fun to watch.

However, with the recent Microsoft/Virgin Gaming deal, what does that mean for MLG-related stuff in Halo? If MLG isn't going to carry Halo for the time being, then I doubt an official MLG playlist in Halo 4 will happen.

The overlap is there because people like to have choices. If you have one weapon and not the other people will complain. How is it that other FPS titles can have multiple rifles, snipers, etc but Halo apparently isn't allowed to?

Because in others FPS the weapons are actually different not variations of the same rifle.

Props to MLG for adding Extraction. I have a feeling that might be ridiculously fun to watch.

However, with the recent Microsoft/Virgin Gaming deal, what does that mean for MLG-related stuff in Halo? If MLG isn't going to carry Halo for the time being, then I doubt an official MLG playlist in Halo 4 will happen.

Return of Team Hardcore and Hardcore Snowbound.

Enfinit

Return of Team Hardcore and Hardcore Snowbound.

As long as MLG isn't carrying Halo (due to the Virgin Gaming crap, etc.) on the circuit, I can't imagine the MLG gametypes, maps, or potential playlist will be included into Halo 4 matchmaking. I'd assume in place of an "MLG" playlist would be Team Hardcore, with Slayer Pro and other "competitive" settings that 343i created, and not MLG.

As long as MLG isn't carrying Halo (due to the Virgin Gaming crap, etc.) on the circuit, I can't imagine the MLG gametypes, maps, or potential playlist will be included into Halo 4 matchmaking. I'd assume in place of an "MLG" playlist would be Team Hardcore, with Slayer Pro and other "competitive" settings that 343i created, and not MLG.

Sure, but these aren't the only competitive settings out there. These are pretty decent, sure, but there's bound to be more in the future with another TU and map pack. 343 did say early 2013 for a competitive playlist. Who knows, perhaps we'll see a playlist with MLG, 343, and AGL settings as voting options. Early 2013 likely means February in my mind. That's when the next map pack is coming, so I'd see a TU also.

Pop

I'm not expecting ranks and classic playlist until late Feb early March. But what would we know, no communication from them besides Ford truck virgin playlist stuff and lots of unwanted pictures .

Rev3rb

Yeah, I actually don't think these are as bad as I thought. It looks fun. Only a few things I don't like, but this is a pretty decent starting point anyway.

There's a lot of good stuff here. Namely, fixed maps, Extraction, OS pickup, predictable Personal ordnance and DMR pickups. Decent rotation of gametypes, too. I'm sure KOTH and Oddball will return once Instant Respawn gets a disable option in the future. Good on them for adding in Extraction.

Better stream: http://www.twitch.tv/absolutely

I like what I'm seeing on this stream

BR is the only loadout? That's disappointing.

Also, Explosives perk?
I'm more surprised that they're embracing global ordnance. They've got the railgun on static spawn times for a few of the maps, but I could see close matches being decided by a lucky drop at some point down the line.

I thought placing static weapons in forge didn't actually work correctly in-game?

Yes. Do show me the same overlap in weapons in Unreal, Half-Life, Quake, Tribes, Planetside, etc.

Oh, right, there is none.

If Halo wants to be CoD, then it needs a SHIT TON more weapons than it has now all of which are equally viable (or close to it... the CoD community has a habit of identifying the most broken weapons and min-maxing the hell out of them, and IW and Treyarch don't seem to mind).

Halo is not that game right now. With the number of weapons it has and the sandbox philosophy guiding it, it is closer to the aforementioned games. In truth, anybody who played Tribes before 2001 kinda looks at Halo as a.... let's say 'homage'. If they want to go that route then they need to minimize overlap in the weapons, rather than offer several options that are clearly less effective variants of other weapons that serve the same role.

Havok

I thought placing static weapons in forge didn't actually work correctly in-game?
You can use the Initial Ordnance item's Resupply Time to create static spawns still. Just placing the item on the map like spawns used to be doesn't work, you're right.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
You can use the Initial Ordnance item's Resupply Time to create static spawns still. Just placing the item on the map like spawns used to be doesn't work, you're right.

Having the indicators from the Ordnance on regular static items is rather useful. Helps new players locate the weapons and vehicles on a map.

Makes sense too with traditional Halo gameplay. Much better than the current empty maps.

Tawpgun

Skyrim is kinda neat so far. Has that Bethesda clunkiness too it but there's something almost charming about the clunky combat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom