• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fracas

#fuckonami
If you could only choose your starting weapon and armor ability, I'd be much happier.

Also, why can't the scoreboard (when you hold the back button" have more information? Give us some identifiers, tell me what armor ability everyone is using, maybe give me the outline of their helmet for easier identification?

edit: Just saw this: Forward Unto Dawn blu ray is $10.28 at Amazon

GrizzNKev

Banned
If you could only choose your starting weapon and armor ability, I'd be much happier.

Also, why can't the scoreboard (when you hold the back button" have more information? Give us some identifiers, tell me what armor ability everyone is using, maybe give me the outline of their helmet for easier identification?

Also don't suspend all other controller input. And be shown by default upon death.

What was the point of it needing to be pressed to be shown anyway? Don't want to scare off the bad players by reminding them they're terrible?

Louis Wu

On maps as big as the ones in Halo 4? Come on.

I can be posed another way though. If the DMR's range got nerfed, or the BR became 4sk, would we see more frequent short range battles, and thus more 1v1s?
Not sure I understand your scorn.

Big maps, small maps... if I run with my teammates, we can teamshoot. If I don't, we can't.

Even when there ARE 1v1s though (you meet someone from the other team, and nobody but the two of you are around)... you know FROM THE VERY FIRST SHOT what weapon he's using. After that, the difference between a light rifle that was available in a loadout and a light rifle he picked up on the ground is nonexistent.

With all the boltshot griping recently, I've been paying attention to boltshotters more than I did before. (Overheat and I played a game where the entire other team was using them - a first for me. I think I died 3 times to boltshotters - a record for me.) The Boltshot makes a lot of noise when it charges up. I can hear it even over the din of battle - I KNOW someone's gonna come around that corner and try to blast me. So I backpedal. He comes around, I'm out of range, he has two choices: he can fire (and do a little damage, but not enough), or he can switch weapons (giving me time to get shots on him before he shoots me at all).

When I get caught by a boltshotter, it's because I wasn't paying attention to my environment. That's no different than being caught by a DMR guy. Or a Light Rifle guy. Or whatever.

Again - my stats show that barely more than one percent of ALL MY DEATHS come from Boltshots; as an annoyance, it just ain't on my radar.

Now maybe this is all because I suck at Halo, and so the people who are fighting against me (and using Boltshots) suck too - so what I'm seeing and what you're seeing are totally different. But I can't really speak to that; I haven't even seen a ton of boltshotting in videos.

::shrug:: That's my experience, anyway.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I obviously can't pull up numbers, but I feel that the vast majority of my encounters in Halo 4 are long range pingfests. Whether this can be attributed to the maps or the fact that anyone can spawn with a long range rifle, I'm not really sure.

edit: Although there was a point before the boltshot got patched where that was basically the only weapon I used.

GrizzNKev

Banned

Big maps, small maps... if I run with my teammates, we can teamshoot. If I don't, we can't.

Even when there ARE 1v1s though (you meet someone from the other team, and nobody but the two of you are around)... you know FROM THE VERY FIRST SHOT what weapon he's using. After that, the difference between a light rifle that was available in a loadout and a light rifle he picked up on the ground is nonexistent.

With all the boltshot griping recently, I've been paying attention to boltshotters more than I did before. (Overheat and I played a game where the entire other team was using them - a first for me. I think I died 3 times to boltshotters - a record for me.) The Boltshot makes a lot of noise when it charges up. I can hear it even over the din of battle - I KNOW someone's gonna come around that corner and try to blast me. So I backpedal. He comes around, I'm out of range, he has two choices: he can fire (and do a little damage, but not enough), or he can switch weapons (giving me time to get shots on him before he shoots me at all).

When I get caught by a boltshotter, it's because I wasn't paying attention to my environment. That's no different than being caught by a DMR guy. Or a Light Rifle guy. Or whatever.

Again - my stats show that barely more than one percent of ALL MY DEATHS come from Boltshots; as an annoyance, it just ain't on my radar.

Now maybe this is all because I suck at Halo, and so the people who are fighting against me (and using Boltshots) suck too - so what I'm seeing and what you're seeing are totally different. But I can't really speak to that; I haven't even seen a ton of boltshotting in videos.

I agree with you on the boltshot. It rarely bothers me, and I find myself much more effective with it than my enemies are against me. I think that just says something about patience though.

I'm talking more about spawning with weapons that have such a huge effective range. Halo 4's map sizes should be encouraging 1v1 battles, but because the vast majority of players can shoot you in the head from a huge distance, these kinds of battles aren't happening as often as we're used to. I think that giving players more incentive to get closer for a kill could help expose some of the other issues with loadouts and AA/perk knowledge.

Any game not involving vehichles i rock the boltshot. Its just so effective and a great counterpart for the long range DMR or LR. Although i dont camo on corners waiting for people with it.

I think the secondary funtion was a bad idea though, just so powerful.

What if the made it so you cant release the charge early? Not sure if it would make much of a difference but it would make using it require better timing?

Kind of like the Spartan Laser in that it has to be charged all the way and cant shoot before that.

TheOddOne

The Boltshot should act more like the Plasma Pistol. It's strongest function should be to take down shields or slow down the enemy. Or they could make the charge up only do half damage. The function it now has it that it’s as powerful as a primary weapon, instead of it was suppose to be; a support weapon.

Booties

Banned
It irritates the shit out of me that of all people that would post that, it is Nak3d Eli.

Better to have everyone know about it then just a few assholes. Maybe the public awareness will mean 343 does something about it.

Just kidding.

Moa

Better to have everyone know about it then just a few assholes. Maybe the public awareness will mean 343 does something about it.

Just kidding.

Heh, I found two exploits a few weeks back, one on Haven, one on Adrift.

I tweeted them to David Ellis and the next week, they were fixed.
Suppose you can all partly blame me for the Haven ordnance issue, if I never report them, there likely wouldn't have been an issue with the weapons :p

Both times when I found/reported it, I uploaded a video unlisted and just tweeted it to him, not post it publicly and make a video series out of it :/

Tawpgun

Your strategy doesn't work for me.

Yes the boltshot has a charge noise... And lets ignore the fact that the sound glitches out sometime...

The boltshot charges ABSURDLY fast. Common misconception is you need to charge it until it discharges. Nope. As soon as that reticle fills up you can manually discharge the blast. This makes it he able to kill in half a second or less. By comparison, the plasma pistol takes a LOT longer.

Shit is so fast I can consistently beat shotgun users with it.

Even if you you do catch it early enough it will still be able to take off your shields. If it doesn't the guy using it blows.

Im fundamentally against a loadout weapon that can instakill. But even with its ability its too powerful.

Literally, the only difference between it and the shotgun is the shotgun has more leniency if you miss.

Nothing new in the Halo 4 world, ok.

Soon and Early 2013 must have meant mid summer.

SMH it's the 5th day in 2013.

I'd say early 2013 can stretch all the way until Q2. Doesn't mean people aren't going to want it sooner rather than later, but yeah it is a fairly big timeframe.

Early 2013 to me means january-mid march.

To jump on the Boltshot hate-wagon-- There's no reason it is more powerful than the Scattershot. I think it'd be fine as a pickup, just like I think the DMR should be a pickup.

willow ve

Guys, early 2013 does not mean the first week of january. I wouldnt expect these things to roll out until at least february or march.

I believe the exact quote from BS Angel was "early early early 2013" : It is rather common knowledge that (3) x (early) = Jan

It's January 5th. We still have many more days to go.

I agree - it's too soon to be yelling and screaming. But at the same time if "early early early 2013" turns out to be March or later. Well that's shit.

While awesome, it shows that Complex has garbage spawns. So bad.

Complex is a garbage map all around. The only thing that it was even marginally good for was that Sparty Ops episode we all played once or twice a few months ago.

TheOddOne

tumblr_leyehffN281qz8tep.gif

Danny 117

Well the populate halo 3 earlier in 2012 was a relatively good success. I had a lot of fun. Count me in for this one. It's been too long since I've been in a 16 man infection lobby

kylej

Banned
Yes kick screens have been in for a while. We would get boot screens in Campaign constantly when me juices devo and shogun played... even though we're all on each other's friends lists and playing legendary.

While awesome, it shows that Complex has garbage spawns. So bad.

To be fair, I don't think the spawns on Complex are especially bad, rather that that building is too high, gives too great a vantage point and (not in that video but still) it's too easy to hold down.

I love the fact that his buddy Buttaz is on the other team; clearly he joined in progress (or the party was 5 people going in) and he ragequit after going 1-10. :)

https://app.halowaypoint.com/en-us/Halo4/constipated owl/wargames/match-9714416063272d56

(click the 'K/D' tab.)

I went to but there's no way I'm signing in every time I want to see a games stats. Who ok'd that decision?

TheOddOne

To be fair, I don't think the spawns on Complex are especially bad, rather that that building is too high, gives too great a vantage point and (not in that video but still) it's too easy to hold down.
Good point. However, from design point they should have picked up that designing spawns in the open spaces like that doesn’t make much sense. Spawns should have been exclusively inside buildings, which avoids or decreases the spawn camping problem.

I wish that when an enemy kills themselves after shooting your HLS that you would get the kill rather than only giving them a suicide. As it stands, the score doesn't change.

Louis Wu

I went to but there's no way I'm signing in every time I want to see a games stats. Who ok'd that decision?
That's pretty weird - that was the way it was when they switched over for Reach - but they fixed it, and for a while you didn't need to be logged in to see a game's stats. Now you do again?

Seems like it's going backwards. :(

FyreWulff

That's pretty weird - that was the way it was when they switched over for Reach - but they fixed it, and for a while you didn't need to be logged in to see a game's stats. Now you do again?

Seems like it's going backwards. :(

Been like that since the switchover to the new Halo 4 era Waypoint. Not only do you need to sign in, you need to have agreed to the TOS on an actual Xbox console.

meppi

Exile, Exile, Exile, Exile, Exile...
FFS just change it so that voting only applies to private games and put in a map rotator for everything else. This is starting to get retarded...

Whaaaaaaaat? Canon? Pfffft.

"Moments before the Didact was sucked into the slipspace portal encased by his ship, he, in a manner similar to that of a petulant child, touched a button on his wrist that opened up a microscopic slipspace portal in his armor, through which a signal was sent. This signal traveled the unknowable, aged corridors of slipspace to ancient Forerunner relays throughout the galaxy. These relays, known as Ghibalbian Constructs – named after the Forerunners' doomed (by their own doing), original homeworld – then activated a pulse, which echoed throughout the whole galaxy, and neutralized any microscopic machinery.

After which, the Master Chief's armor, and all others like his, became permanently inoperable. He was henceforth forced to use his proven, battle-tested (and factually better looking) Mark VI armor.

Because of the unusual circumstances surrounding the slipspace portal the Didact fell into, several hours later (by his measure) he emerged, through an indescribable amount of luck, from slipspace on a distant, paradise-like planet. There, he met Jorge, where they both sat down at a table and enjoyed a spot of earl grey tea.

'Lovely planet this is,' the Didact said to the Spartan II, after taking a sip of his drink.
'Quite,' Jorge replied."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom