• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.
This I like seeing at a game dev...

kY8al.jpg

Unfortunately for the rest of us, you both call it like you see it but you're blind to the points being made.

Funny stuff, out of 12 solid rebuttal points most of the replies focus on a one line quip. What was I expecting this is HaloGAF.

789shadow

Banned
The casuals will buy it because it says Halo on the box
I don't think so. They aren't casual gamers so much as they are transient gamers. They only play the biggest thing at any given time. Halo is not bigger than CoD right now, so they will buy CoD instead of Halo. Hell, they only bough Halo because it was the biggest thing before CoD. Not only that, they have fun or force themselves to have fun with anything, putting Halo at an even bigger disadvantage.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

http://i.imgur.com/kY8al.jpg[img]

Funny stuff, out of 12 solid rebuttal points most of the replies focus on a one line quip. What was I expecting this is HaloGAF.[/QUOTE]

Oh sorry, did you expect a real response to you talking down to people?

Bring me 24 hour statistics like Halo 3 or Reach directly comparable to Halo 4 and I'll listen. Statistics in Halo 4 are calculated quite differently to other xbox titles and previous Halo games. Halo 4 takes a real time count, within minutes I think.

Reach collected numbers every 60 seconds, which was considered at the time crazy and I think most developers still record numbers every 30 minutes. I would assume that Halo 4's numbers are reported in the same time interval, but we don't totally know what goes into those numbers (do people sitting idle in the lobby count? people searching for games count? only people in games count?). Now, I would assume that they wouldn't have changed that from Bungie's engine, but we can't really know that, so directly comparing congruent user numbers is a bit unfair. I wish that 343 would provide individual users for the last 24 hours like Bungie used to, I think that's a better stat to look at than congruent users.

That said though, based on the numbers we are provided, you cannot deny that the population of the game has been steadily trending downward since launch, and it still hasn't settled (a new low for peak congruent users in a day was set on Monday).

Rev3rb

I loved all the Halo games, but, 4 is odd, these instant loadouts are fucking stupid as all hell and the flood playlist is garbage. Seriously who the fuck made flood? They need to be fired. Oh I know lets make a zombies playlist, but, make the zombies super fast, and strong and not give you any decent weapons to fight them. Sounds like a fun time! No, it fucking is not.

Also, the DMR is getting really fucking old. I'm forced to use the DMR because any close range weapons are suicide because everyone has the DMR, and the second you get close they throw a plasma on you and it's game fucking over. I used to love in Reach to get up close with the AR's and kill people or not scope the BR's.

say_wha.gif

kY8al.jpg

Funny stuff, out of 12 solid rebuttal points most of the replies focus on a one line quip. What was I expecting this is HaloGAF.

Dude you're ignoring the fact I posted a chart that displays less people are playing Halo 4. Thats a FACT. That graph is statistical evidence of that fact.

Then you go onto rant about how you like objective but noone plays it.

Then you say 343 is doing way more stuff than any other developer in any other industry. A statement that is fucking absurd btw. There are probably thousands of other companies that respond to their customers better and provide a better philanthropical value to society.

What is 343 actually doing?

They gave us a bulletin that gave us three dates for playlist that SHOULD ALREADY BE IN THE GAME. So basically they said "Soon™" again. We want results.

They havent said any features defintely are coming besides fileshare which should already be there. They gave us no estimates on any of the features they MIGHT add, they gave us no proof they are even working on any of the features we want.

And of course they dont have to and I'm too entitled blah blah blah, but that even furthers my point, cause they havent said anything.

Besides "Chill" - Show some goddamn urgency.

Clearly this was talking down (sarcasm), it's called an olive branch for a reason...anyhow enough meta chatter as we've all been warned about that.

-snip-
Fact is you love Halo and just want to play it your way. I've had the same processes and issues with objective for years, very similar to what you feel you are going through now. The game I wanted to play wasn't what the larger community wanted to play and the developers have tried many iterations/setting and redevelopments over the years/games to keep objective alive. I keep posting what I like so it gets heard and maybe rally the community behind some sort of consensus that I like too. Asking anything more than that is entitled nonsense, in any industry or product.

Replies in bold below.

Dude you're ignoring the fact I posted a chart that displays less people are playing Halo 4. Thats a FACT. That graph is statistical evidence of that fact.

Take my old post about 1 hour rotation @ 50%, even 100K rotated over 24 hours is over 1 million players per day. Nothing wrong there, peak doesn't mean shit.

Then you go onto rant about how you like objective but noone plays it.

No rant, just an olive branch to bridge the gap between me liking the game and some that don't to create common ground for relevancy.

Then you say 343 is doing way more stuff than any other developer in any other industry. A statement that is fucking absurd btw. There are probably thousands of other companies that respond to their customers better and provide a better philanthropical value to society.

Never said anything about 343 vs. other game developers, was a cross industry observation, you missed the point.

What is 343 actually doing?

They gave us a bulletin that gave us three dates for playlist that SHOULD ALREADY BE IN THE GAME. So basically they said "Soon™" again. We want results.

They havent said any features defintely are coming besides fileshare which should already be there. They gave us no estimates on any of the features they MIGHT add, they gave us no proof they are even working on any of the features we want.

And of course they dont have to and I'm too entitled blah blah blah, but that even furthers my point, cause they havent said anything.

Besides "Chill" - Show some goddamn urgency.

I respect your opinion I just go about things a different way I suppose.

Population stats

Things would be a lot clearer if XBL charts had exact UU numbers listed.

TheOddOne

The back patting thing can pretty much be applied to both parties, being for, indifferent or against Halo 4. However everybody just walking over each other to prove which party is wrong or right is kind of annoying and devolves into a huge clusterfuck. Intelligent comments get buried this way and this place gets more unpleasant to come to everyday.

Oh sorry, did you expect a real response to you talking down to people?
That's rich:

What was influenced by the community? Any examples? Was FUD or TTL asking for Complex? If the community is such a direct and democratic extension of the team, which part of the community asked for the first map pack to be big brown maps? Was that ReadyUpLive or r/Halo's fault? Could you guys have democratically put up a vote with the major communities asking if recreating Seattle during crunch time was a good idea? I just find it hilarious that after a year of Trust Us, Feels Like Halo, now suddenly the community is apparently a direct extension of the team and there are just too many gosh darn voices to be heard to make people happy. To extend this makeshift olive branch while simultaneously refusing to outline the next title update is hysterical to me. To this day, we still have no idea who, why, or how 343 makes any of their matchmaking decisions. We open up the weekly bulletin every week and hope there's something interesting. That is literally the only involvement we get with matchmaking updates.

No end user gives a rat's ass about the development process of anything. You don't think about the thousands of man-hours that go into the labeling of every single product in a grocery store, you just buy it. Give us some actual hard definable timelines for when we'll be getting fileshare, when we're getting a ranking system, when we're getting video uploading. Where are these features? Everything is always one or two weeks away. We'll have more details to share in a bit! As someone who hasn't played Halo in over a month, all I took from that update is that video game development is hard and that we'll be getting minor playlist updates in 3 or 4 weeks. Well, no shit. Sometime in the future we'll get missing features added and a title update. Oh and we have more outsourced table-scrap maps to look forward to that we'll have to pay for. Halo 4 is hitting all time low daily peak populations right now, there are 200 people in the playlist of their new DLC pack, and a 4 year old download-only PC game is ahead of it in activity, but who cares, the team is working hard! Puhleaze. I'm sure Frankie will respond to this by calling me a troll and that I hate Halo and hate everything and am moving the goalposts and should leave GAF as I have been told by him before, which is fine, but it doesn't change the fact that all the 9.8's and long hours in the world can't stop this game from falling further on its face if they keep heading down this same path.

I would have also liked some details about the much-needed TU, but as it's scheduled for over a month away, I'm not surprised they aren't ready to divulge that information yet.

Ozzy again. UU's dont mean shit. When people sign on and theres less than 100k that effects their trueskill matching in all the playlists at that time, it makes a more dismal experience, and slowly they stop coming back, and you see more and more decline.

They cant continue on like this or it will wither and wither.

Sure it looks peachy when you look at UU numbers but that doesnt matter. People dont care about that, only the xbox live weekly activity chart cares about that. N Halo aint doing great on that either.

Ozzy again. UU's dont mean shit. When people sign on and theres less than 100k that effects their trueskill matching in all the playlists at that time, it makes a more dismal experience, and slowly they stop coming back, and you see more and more decline.

They cant continue on like this or it will wither and wither.

Sure it looks peachy when you look at UU numbers but that doesnt matter. People dont care about that, only the xbox live weekly activity chart cares about that. N Halo aint doing great on that either.

Once again if you look at the previously posted Halo 3 numbers they consistently were 100K-160K. In a time where far less FPS competition was around and COD was #2 and then took #1.

I don't see the big deal. I find matches fast and I'm happy with that.

@u4ix & Tawpgun
Look at this post replying to your misunderstanding, don't put words into my mouth thanks.

I wasn't saying + was a success, just another example of how little the public actually input or get insight into development lifecycle/features. Take a look at how many iterations Google got wrong in the social race, it's not an exact science and neither is video game development.

Anyhow I'm done explaining the same thing over and over, if you can't assimilate what you read enjoy your false logic.

u4iX

Once again if you look at the the previously posted Halo 3 numbers they consistently were 100K-160K. In a time where far less FPS competition was around and COD was #2 and then took #1.

That's interesting information, but I'm hesitant to just take your word.

Was that launch Halo 3 numbers, the numbers 3 months after release, or at another time period?

Also, do you mind sharing your sources? Thanks.

That has to be way later in its lifetime.

Halo 3 often had super high numbers in the weekly rotational playlist alone. Didnt Grifball hit 400k at one point? Like 8 hours after it was introduced. People flocked to it.

Once again if you look at the the previously posted Halo 3 numbers they consistently were 100K-160K. In a time where far less FPS competition was around and COD was #2 and then took #1.

Sure in 2007, 5 years ago, when the install base wasn't 70 million.

Good for you being happy though. Clearly we aren't.

Fracas

#fuckonami
No, Reach was at 50k during the daytime during weekdays 2 years after launch.
It declined pretty fast, but it had higher numbers then H4. Around 90-150k steady, in the weekend it went over 200k.
Ah okay, I was about to say, I remember numbers like those from this fall.
Reach is/was/will always be bad.
It is bad, but it is still somewhat Halo.
Who can blame them? The game just isn't fun, from a casual or competitive perspective.

I agree, but good lord, this is a Halo game and it's already 3rd in the activity chart. Sold several million and can't even keep 100k online.

TheOddOne

Who can blame them? The game just isn't fun, from a casual or competitive perspective.
At best you could say that it retained Reach's population, but that is not something to be proud about. People flocked faster away is something to be worried about.

That's interesting information, but I'm hesitant to just take your word.

Was that launch Halo 3 numbers, the numbers 3 months after release, or at another time period?

Also, do you mind sharing your sources? Thanks.

I've posted these many times...

The Wayback Machine post where you can click a calendar day/month/year for what was cached from B.net about Halo 3 stats.

tsassi (from Waypoint) said:
February 12th, 2008
Halo 3, players online: 119,477

December 11th, 2008
Halo 3, players online: 49,144

February 18th, 2009
Halo 3, players online: 32,874

March 13th, 2009
Halo 3, players online: 40,168

May 12th, 2009
Halo 3, players online: 79,414

May 29th, 2009
Halo 3, players online: 143,375

July 24th, 2009
Halo 3, players online: 167,963

The numbers don't lie; what you remember about the Halo 3 player counts is wrong. Those times when Halo 3 had over 200,000 players online were rare occasions. Good luck trying to find a reliable source that shows a day, over one year into Halo 3's lifespan, when Halo 3 would have had over 200,000 players.

I used to use that population argument back in the days when Reach was released. But a matter of fact is, I got introduced to the cruel reality, the reality that Halo 3, in fact, didn't have an exceptional amount of active players over a year after its release. Not compared to Reach or 4.

Also on Waypoint OGhostayame (from MLG) in his own thread for V1 settings agrees these statistics are the most factual available to us unless someone uncovers something better?

OGhostayame said:
Ozzy Onya A2Z said:
To date those are still the most factual statistics I've seen anyone post, thanks for the "research effort".

Agreed.

What would everyone like to see in v2?

-Ghost

Don't take my word for, take the cached facts or your MLG settings manager word for it.

Edit: The numbers are kind of useless for both parties. It's neither as truly awful or as truly good/fine as either poles want to portray it as.
E.g. If it's the best/fastest selling Halo 4, shouldn't the population at least be equal, if not bigger.

Oh you guys. Just play games you want to play. I'll keep the Halo 4 population at 1 at least.
Aww, that is kinda of cute. (Not sarcasm)

It's also worth noting that all listing of congruent population numbers for Halo 3 are reported 30 times slower than Reach, leading to a lot of backlogging that inflates the numbers.

u4iX

I've posted these many times...

The Wayback Machine post where you can click a calendar day/month/year for what was cached from B.net about Halo 3 stats.

Also on Waypoint in OGhostayame from MLG agrees these statistics are the most factual available to us unless someone uncovers something better?

So you said there were 50k... And you just linked me a statistic that says two years after release in July it was at 167k? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the point you were making.

Also, talk down to me like that again about finding your old posts, and I think we'll have to get a moderator involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom