• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't understand why every map has to look so dull. I think one of the main reasons people keep picking Have, Ragnarok, Exile and to a lesser extent Complex is because nobody likes running around in brown environments all day (Adrift, Abandon, Solace... and pretty much everything else).

I get that they are probably brown to hide the limitations of the Xbox360 but come on. Give us brighter maps please. Halo used to be about all of these unique colors that you encounter. Strange purples, greens, orange deserts, shiny metallic. Now everything is either brown or Tron.

FyreWulff

I cant believe how many people are shitting on this. The game came out and people saw 2d skyboxes.

People need to be realistic with their graphical/engine expectations on 7 year old hardware. Come on. Its a skybox. The rest of the game looks a lot better for it.

Not really. Skyboxes aren't really that intensive where you would gain much performance from dropping them.

2D skyboxes are faster and cheaper to make though.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
When you first saw Halo, were you blinded by its majesty?
KSmnn.jpg

Shadders

When you first saw Halo, were you blinded by its majesty?

:lol nice

Not really loving the map pack.

Extraction on Shatter seemed ok.

I could get on with CTF on Harvest.

Wreckage.. yeah. I was getting a lot of frame drops on Wreckage, can't say I really had an enjoyable game on it. It's quit fun holding the top area and having people mancannon in and try and remove you, but I think in time people just won't go up there..

None of them really seemed like good Slayer maps, the long sightlines just remind me how much I hate flinch.

So, does anyone else purposely make their Spartan look dumb on purpose? Because I'm rolling as a Bionicle for kicks:

fullbody

rAkCa.jpg

awww yeah

Have they ever tested anything in this game?
jbxfbRwqGgH2jW.png

I would actually like wreckage if it wasnt blinding.

Well, I mean how close up are you blinded? Is it only at a distance? It may be a map control choice...or something.

I just don't understand why every map has to look so dull. I think one of the main reasons people keep picking Have, Ragnarok, Exile and to a lesser extent Complex is because nobody likes running around in brown environments all day (Adrift, Abandon, Solace... and pretty much everything else).

I get that they are probably brown to hide the limitations of the Xbox360 but come on. Give us brighter maps please. Halo used to be about all of these unique colors that you encounter. Strange purples, greens, orange deserts, shiny metallic. Now everything is either brown or Tron.

Hahaha. The Xbox 360 can't render all the colors. Too taxing on da hardwares.

Havok

I'd argue that they removed it because once people hit 15, they hide and that's dumb, but if it's a commendation... the fuck.
343 is clearly not interested in avoiding the pitfall of affecting player behavior through reward mechanisms. Look at 90% of their challenges, or the entire suite of weapon-specific commendations. It's a real mistake, I think, one that Bungie usually avoided (though they made some key mistakes as well) through grouping reward goals into classes in both challenges and commendations.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

Harvest teases you with a colorful skybox and then you turn around and see Complex 2.0.

JB1981

Yea they're ugly as sin

Havok

Anywhere on the map, if you look open side you get blinded. It really doesnt help that they have about 20 spawns that point you right at it.
The funny thing is, they initially had the same sort of heavy bloom setup on Haven (link), and the bloom from the open side of that map was drastically toned down for the final release. Dunno why they chose to keep it on Wreckage when somebody at some point knew it was a bad idea and removed it from the best map in the game.

That is actually pretty awesome. Only because it's meant to be Bionicle-like though.

Haha yeah, though to anyone else not making the connection the helmet is still gonna look like crap.

DAMN, that shit is old school. I remember trying to collect all of those when I was like seven. Even Bionicle was best in the first few editions.

Yeah, those were fun.. I should see if I have any of them saved somewhere.. I know I had the lava one I pictured, and I think I had a blue one with ice picks.

anyone know if its possible to get your specialization priority alpha code resent? I somehow missed / deleted mine. :(
They sent me mine twice so far and I haven't bothered to redeem it.. I should probably give it away now that I think about it.

Satchel

Banned
So they not only fucked over season pass buyers, but they brought back bullshit horse fuck achievements again that will require boosting parties?

great work 343. Started out with promise.

So they not only fucked over season pass buyers, but they brought back bullshit horse fuck achievements again that will require boosting parties?

great work 343. Started out with promise.

I've actually gotten a few on accident already. The man cannon ones didn't even require a man cannon, it was more like elongated time in the air.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
just got home - whats this about screwing over map pack owners? also, how are the maps?

You should appear online more often!

Also nice talking to you Kittens, sorry I didn't play with you.

That was pretty funny. Damn you.

Eh I dont mind the maps - they came too soon and feel too similar to the disk maps though. I feel really 'meh' playing them. I feel inclined to go for achievements too which is probably ruining it a bit lol. Also I have probably only played a handful of games on Vortex and Meltdown so having more BTB maps is not great.

What annoys me is the fact that I cant even see how many games I have played on each map. On Waypoint it lists Haven, Solace, Abandon, Complex, Adrift and then just 'other' lol

They only screwed the limited edition/season pass owners to be fair (9 hours after release), and gave the rest the map pack for free. Frankie did apologize and I'm sure 343/MS is working on a "fix".

They may lose out on some money but it will get people on Halo 4.

So everyone else gets the maps for free?

I'm looking forward to this map, it seems to have potential:

I could imagine it being set across a few ODST/New Alexandria at night inspired skyline rooftops with hazard falls, and most of all no reused art and brown rocks. Maybe it will play more like the types of maps we know, love and want.

The aesthetic on these maps: This must be the ugliest map pack I have ever seen - I remember in the past the map packs usually looked really pretty and enticing, but these maps are so drab and lacking colour. I know its not like they are trying to sell the maps on looks alone - but I imagine pretty maps in interesting locales are more likely to be purchased than dull maps are.

The CoD map packs and older Halo map packs always manage to find good looking locations - its like they didn't even try this time round.

CoD has historically reserved DLC achievements to stuff like Spec Ops or Zombies. Why didnt Halo 4 look and learn from that?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm looking forward to this map, it seems to have potential:

I could imagine it being set across a few ODST/New Alexandria at night inspired skyline rooftops with hazard falls, and most of all no reused art and brown rocks. Maybe it will play more like the types of maps we know, love and want.
All I'm looking at is skyboxes and scenery. Can't infer much quality from that.

Just got the achievements special delivery and odst by getting a kill from the grave. I died and some dude team killed the guy I was fighting with an AR and the achievements popped. lol

The aesthetic on these maps: This must be the ugliest map pack I have ever seen - I remember in the past the map packs usually looked really pretty and enticing, but these maps are so drab and lacking colour. I know its not like they are trying to sell the maps on looks alone - but I imagine pretty maps in interesting locales are more likely to be purchased than dull maps are.

The CoD map packs and older Halo map packs always manage to find good looking locations - its like they didn't even try this time round.

CoD has historically reserved DLC achievements to stuff like Spec Ops or Zombies. Why didnt Halo 4 look and learn from that?

Yeah, they look really bad. Wreckage could look decent if it had more art going on with the rocks and some variation in color on em, the dust and light looks pretty cool. Harvest looks like it was thrown together using random art assets from SP, but I guess the same could be said about all these maps. Its just so boring. Shatter is the most interesting, but it even looks kinda bland and been there done that due to its layout, structure and similarity to Vortex. Shame, the art for it looked incredible.

I really don't get what happened to these maps artistically, they look so uninspired, but the art was great.

Final version/
:lol

The sad part is, at this rate you're probably right. So weird, the SP for Halo 4 looks great.. I expected some inspired art on the maps at the very least.

Karl2177

Ughhhhhhhhh

I've gone over it before, but here we go again. Starting players off on uneven footing is an awful decision. Camo with a ranged weapon negates Camo's natural negative, the radar jamming. Camo with a Binary Rifle in an online setting negates the Binary's natural negative, the beam. Now there's an enemy with an instant ranged OHK weapon that can't be seen. Camo as an armor ability is fundamentally broken, yet it is still in the game as an armor ability. We have a new system that rewards players with a RANDOM weapon or powerup. Why don't we give camo as an ability there?

Note: even the personal ordnance is fundamentally broken with it being moderately random.

LD2k

Neo Member
Ughhhhhhhhh

I've gone over it before, but here we go again. Starting players off on uneven footing is an awful decision. Camo with a ranged weapon negates Camo's natural negative, the radar jamming. Camo with a Binary Rifle in an online setting negates the Binary's natural negative, the beam. Now there's an enemy with an instant ranged OHK weapon that can't be seen. Camo as an armor ability is fundamentally broken, yet it is still in the game as an armor ability. We have a new system that rewards players with a RANDOM weapon or powerup. Why don't we give camo as an ability there?

Note: even the personal ordnance is fundamentally broken with it being moderately random.
The best quote here was something like:

I want rock vs rock, and if my rock is better than yours, I win.

Arnie

The concept art for Harvest ended up just being all in the skybox.

The colour grading's a lot different in the final version, it's certainly prettier, and more colourful. I actually think Harvest's an alright map, there's some good mid-range encounters and it works for 5v5, just about. Not a 'small' map, though, unless you're talking relatively.

Didn't have much time to get a feel for Wreckage but I just remember looking into the overly bright sun, feeling the framerate chug, and have to work out what Extraction's all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom