• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

wwm0nkey

Seeing the Forge playlist have static weapon spawns makes me hope that they are there because 343 is noticing global ordnance just isn't working.

Really can't wait to see what is in the TU.

I don't think 343 truly understands Halo (even from a campain perspective) so they wont be making any great Halo games in the future. With the help of next gen Technology they'll perfect the AAA movie blockbuster experience they intended to make.

I do not believe this at all, again you might be right but also remember they do have the potential to learn and they seem to be willing to if Frankie's note is to be believed.

Ghazi

I'm hoping that 343 gets the message though, I last played yesterday and I was happy to see that the number of people playing forge test was almost equal to the number playing Infinity Slayer.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Might be over the line, but how much "leeway" do you CCs get with respect to the gametypes? I thought it was all mostly a map sort of thing.

John-Goodman-in-The-Big-Lebowski.jpg

Well it's just for this specific playlist which we helped out with. We have no final decisions but obviously Personal Ordnance is busted as fuck in the playlist.

Tashi

Our metrics have malfuntioned so there has been a slight delay in getting the exact TU info for you. More on that soon.

On to the next forge virgin weekly challenge....

.......<3 bsangel

Let the grown ups do it, you're not very funny.

wwm0nkey

2 good examples of change 343 has made so far.

-Forge playlist, minor but static spawns are very refreshing!
-Spartan Ops 1.5, big improvement over the first half in every way.

Now lets just see if they can continue this.

BigShow36

2 good examples of change 343 has made so far.

-Forge playlist, minor but static spawns are very refreshing!
-Spartan Ops 1.5, big improvement over the first half in every way.

Now lets just see if they can continue this.

You're rejoicing that they're making minor progress on things that should have never been an issue in the first place. Some of you guys have an unfathomable tolerance for mediocrity when it comes to Halo and game developers.

Tomorrow night's bulletin:
-Spartan Ops recap and Episode 7 teaser, lol Bungie 7 mirite
-Mentions Microsoft as a whole somehow and how they're a wonderful company
-Sucks copious amount of third party dick
-Interview with a Rooster Teeth member
-E3 plug hinting at Halo 2, ultimately ends up being a universe discussion panel
-Playlist changes: Crimson DLC stays along with Forge Test for now. Grifball replaces something in the near future.
-Playlist optimization will coincide with the Title Update, which makes the Boltshot have a slower reload time and gives the DMR a 2x scope and fixes under-the-hood issues. That's it.
-Random pic of a 343 dev in real life! Details something mundane rather than the game's development.
-Promises of Majestic Map Pack deets next week. On Saturday, bsangel will respond to a question on twitter revealing Majestic info will, in fact, not be dropped until "soon."
<3 bsangel

wwm0nkey

You're rejoicing that they're making minor progress on things that should have never been an issue in the first place. Some of you guys have an unfathomable tolerance for mediocrity when it comes to Halo and game developers.

Im happy that they are making changes, I mean yes it would have been AMAZING if the game launched with no issues. What would you rather them sit there and not change a damn thing? Jesus this thread sometimes -_-

Tawpgun

Just finished the SpOps episode.

There's no fucking way that harvester is covenant. It didn't look covenant from the outside and the inside was like FLESH.

It HAD A FRIGGIN SPINE RUNNING DOWN IT.

I have a lot of problems with Halo 4, but it's still a quality game. 343 tried to add stuff and make Halo feel fresh, but ultimately hurt the game more than it helped. If all the same mistakes are made with Halo 5, then we can really begin to worry.

I think a lot of the stuff we complain about was added late. Look at the reveal video, it was much closer to the Halo game we want than what Halo 4 ultimately ended up being. No AAs, no armor mods, no annoying white text in the middle screen, BR Slayer rather than Infinity Slayer. I really think based on what little we know, Halo 4 went through some very troubled development. I think the fact we were shown so little up until after E3 was because they didn't have a solid final vision on what they wanted it to be.

Things we do know about development. 343 was building a studio while building the game, not an easy task. Ryan Payton, one of the more notable early developers to join 343, left in 2011. He was creative director if I remember correctly. Nathan Walpole, I think it was, mentioned on HBO one time that many early members of 343, left not too far after or something along those lines. We also learned right after Halo 4 released, the lead sandbox designer left 343 back in January. If we learned anything from Reach and Sage, it's that whoever has the position on a Halo game can make a huge impact and difference. We don't even know what else went on, but from what we do know, there were a lot of changes going on during development.

I also think 343 will take the feedback and criticism from Halo 4 a lot more personally and serious than they did with Reach, since this time it's THEIR game, and not Bungie's. We'll see whenever they reveal what is in store with the TU, how serious they are taking fans complaints. The plummeting player count is clearly a sign people aren't happy with the online multiplayer, they just aren't coming back. It's definitely not a sign people aren't interested in Halo, because sales have been fine, they just aren't maintaining those players. Halo 4 doesn't need major changes, it needs a few things to be tweaked, and more small maps. We've discussed those changes many times, so I won't cover those again. Hopefully we get news in the bulletin tonight on the TU, 343 really needs to do something to get the fanbase excited again.

Tomorrow night's bulletin:
-Spartan Ops recap and Episode 7 teaser, lol Bungie 7 mirite
-Mentions Microsoft as a whole somehow and how they're a wonderful company
-Sucks copious amount of third party dick
-Interview with a Rooster Teeth member
-E3 plug hinting at Halo 2, ultimately ends up being a universe discussion panel
-Playlist changes: Crimson DLC stays along with Forge Test for now. Grifball replaces something in the near future.
-Playlist optimization will coincide with the Title Update, which makes the Boltshot have a slower reload time and gives the DMR a 2x scope and fixes under-the-hood issues. That's it.
-Random pic of a 343 dev in real life! Details something mundane rather than the game's development.
-Promises of Majestic Map Pack deets next week. On Saturday, bsangel will respond to a question on twitter revealing Majestic info will, in fact, not be dropped until "soon."
<3 bsangel
Looks pretty good but seems to be missing something.

My continued interest in this game hinges on the issues addressed in the upcoming Title Update.

Many console developers seem too biased or stubborn to make adequate balance changes. We'll see what the future holds.

Arnie

I do not believe this at all, again you might be right but also remember they do have the potential to learn and they seem to be willing to if Frankie's note is to be believed.

I think the alarm comes from the fact the I, a 20 year old University student who's never embarked on designing a video game before could've 'taught' the creators of Halo some very valuable lessons about designing a Halo game.

The things that great swathes of the community are demanding now, and the things 343 are asking for leeway on, are things I and others here asked for vociferously throughout the entire development process.

And then suddenly, post-launch, 343 release a letter about how important the community is, and how much they're listening to it.

It's as consistent as the bolt-shot damage.
As soon as I leave work, or if not, the very minute after I bitch about there being no bulletin.

And then suddenly, post-launch, 343 release a letter about how important the community is, and how much they're listening to it.
There are several communities though, and some at cross purposes. Some of the changes 343 made brought people into the fold who otherwise might have just stayed out of multiplayer altogether (sprint+JIP being big ones).

But I understand the point you're making.

Akai__

Just finished the SpOps episode.

There's no fucking way that harvester is covenant. It didn't look covenant from the outside and the inside was like FLESH.

It HAD A FRIGGIN SPINE RUNNING DOWN IT.

It reminded me of Mass Effect 2 and the Collectors.

Like, they were IFF tags of missing marines, but there wasn't even a single dead body. I guess, it harvests humans and turns them into Promethean Knights somehow?

Edit: And yeah, it didn't look like covenant.

They already had that chance, it's been a few years. To be honest Frankie's just being used as cover.

It would definitely appear that way. I don't want to believe Frankie has chosen to completely abandon Halo's trademarks like many others at 343.

I'd love to personally interview each employee and discuss with them their experiences with the Halo franchise, if only for a bit of perspective.

I think the alarm comes from the fact the I, a 20 year old University student who's never embarked on designing a video game before could've 'taught' the creators of Halo some very valuable lessons about designing a Halo game.
While I understand what you're trying to get at, that opening line is ... too arrogant for my tastes.

BigShow36

While I understand what you're trying to get at, that opening line is ... too arrogant for my tastes.

How is it arrogant if its the truth? He's not saying he's amazing at designing video games, he's saying that the fundamental things 343 missed are so simple that anyone who has played Halo for a while should have been able to spot them and rectify them before release.

How is it arrogant if its the truth? He's not saying he's amazing at designing video games, he's saying that the fundamental things 343 missed are so simple that anyone who has played Halo for a while should have been able to spot them and rectify them before release.
Everything seems simpler from the outside when you're not actually involved in making it happen.

As a software developer myself I know I'm fucked when the word "simple" starts to get bandied around by management, or even worse, clients.

I'll put down 5 Canada dollars on Halo 5 having a beta.
Yep, but MS at least has a history of bundling beta access in some pretty cool games.

I'll put down 5 Canada dollars on Halo 5 having a beta.

Overdoziz

Banned
343 didn't learn anything. They didn't want weapons on the Forge maps, but there was no company available to outsource the task of removing them to and Tashi was too busy getting top 10% Onyx in SC2 so nobody was around to do so.

Everything seems simpler from the outside when you're not actually involved in making it happen.

As a software developer myself I know I'm fucked when the word "simple" starts to get bandied around by management, or even worse, clients.

Yep, but MS at least has a history of bundling beta access in some pretty cool games.

You act like he's talking about technically involved stuff like programming or optimization. We're talking mostly about simple poor decision-making. Changing stuff that wasn't broken, breaking stuff just to change it, horrible UI decisions in game and in menu, etc.

Others might even argue from the SP perspective that story direction, development, and detail was done poorly or insufficiently.

Tashi

343 didn't learn anything. They didn't want weapons on the Forge maps, but there was no company available to outsource the task of removing them to and Tashi was too busy getting top 10% Onyx in SC2 so nobody was around to do so.

I actually recently made it to Gold so I'm pretty happy about that.

Arnie

Seriously lol
I put the word 'taught' in brackets for a reason.

I don't mean that I could've sat the design team down and given them a lesson in Halo 101, but there are some staple things that a Halo game needs, that they didn't recognise. Taught, suggested, informed, reminded, word it how you will, there were some crucial things the development team underestimated which shouldn't have been ignored, or removed.

I'm definitely not speaking of just programming and optimization, but the entire process, including the continual decision making.

Which was arguably poor in many respects.

Trust me, I know plenty of "the process". That doesn't excuse some of the crap that was no doubt included since the earliest builds or were likely "goals" from the beginning.

Top Bottom