• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Havok

Forge playlist home boy!
Maybe not your guys' area, but if that playlist sticks around past this week, any chances of having some gametypes added? Lockout Oddball and King, CTF Despair (not sure about this one), maybe Oddball/King Scythe.

(then a severe reduction in Slayer weighting because I just can't stand Infinity Slayer and don't have the party count to force the vote away from it)

TOO LATE PUBES

goddammit+did+the+master+return+AGAIN+_078e2b0507988ef530a92c7957566277.gif

Arnie

Question: Whats the timers on the weapons in the lockout remake? 3 or 2 min?

Could've sworn it was 3 from the two games I just played.

As I say, Community Test is a huge improvement. Whilst it's still miles away from where it needs to be, it's very promising, and most importantly offers a glimmer of hope.

orznge

Banned
if bad things happen to a game's design because of a bureaucratic/shareholder nightmare then they're not valid things to complain about

BigShow36

I'm definitely not speaking of just programming and optimization, but the entire process, including the continual decision making.

Call it whatever you want; somewhere along the line their decison making went astray. They didn't have a clear understanding or vision of what Halo should be, so things broke down. Every business deals with this stuff every day, trust me. Work is hard, making things happen is hard, improving things is hard. If you don't have a clear understanding of what your audience wants or expects from your product, you fail.

In the real world, there is no excuse. Them being a "new" company is not an excuse. Them not having enough time is not an excuse. Them wanting to add to Halo is not an excuse. We can make up reasons all day long, but in the end they failed to deliver.

Why are we so quick to give video game developers a break on this kind of stuff, especially when they have such a solid foundation from which to work? They're given amazing material to work with and they make it into some convoluted, confused end-product and people all over are defending them for it. I don't get it.

Booshka

Eject, take out the disk and throw it in the sky like a frisbee. That way your disk tray won't stink of shit anymore.

I did this exact thing with Halo 2. I was playing an unbelievably close, excellent game of Team Slayer on Lockout, my team had an amazing 12 kill comeback. Score hits 49-48 in our favor then the game goes to blue screen. Some asshole on the other team lagswitched the connection, come back from blue screen running into a wall with the score reading 49-50; we lose. Amazing game ruined by some salty asshole, I ejected the disc and chucked it out the front door. Didn't get another copy for months after that.

I don't have nearly enough passion for Halo 4 to do something like that. I just calmly put it away about a week after release. Now I look at it, thinking, maybe I'll finish the stupid campaign in that game, ehh probably not.

Arnie

Picking up weapons from static spawns in Halo 4 gives me the most amazing feeling ever.

Same.

For the first time since I removed Halo 4 from it's infuriating shrink-wrapped shell, I've had that unfamiliar sensation of wanting to keep playing, and go for another game. Halo's fun, but it's taken until late January to get a taste of it.

Instant respawn can still go, for my liking. A ranking system would work wonders, also. And Armour Abilities and Ordnance are completely superfluous, in my opinion. Besides that, though, I'm having a shocking amount of fun.

Again, congratulations to all those involved in making these early but necessary changes.

Why are we so quick to give video game developers a break on this kind of stuff, especially when they have such a solid foundation from which to work?
I know you might find this idea crazy, but some people actually really like Halo 4. So thats one thing.

But I have no idea what went into the making of it, what had to get dropped, what was forced from on-high, what avenues were explored and trashed and which ones were put off til the next game. I'm not making excuses for them, just saying that its not as simple a process to "please the Halo community" as some may think, mostly because there is no such thing as some singular Halo community. I can only imagine how many competing agendas and aspirations were at work.

Zocano

Yah, the news has made me very upset and I've just been in sort of a depressed stupor because of it. I really loved Darksiders 1 and 2 (and thought 2 was a great next step, though it was flawed) so it just hurts even more knowing we'll never see 3 from this same team.

Ah, well...

In other news, I'm hesitantly excited for TUs for Halo 4. I never really followed Halo 3 or Reach's very heavily (the only time I really paid attention to significant gameplay changes was when I went from the Reach Beta to the full release where I noticed a lot of things had changed). I was always more focused on the singleplayer but I devoted huge chunks of my time to play Halo 3 MP with my good friend (a little less so with Reach).

Quick sidenote - Seems like folks here aren't big fans of snowbound but the most intense games I've had in Halo 3 were SWAT 2Flag Snowbound matches and I'll never forget them.

But on to Halo 4, I hope they at least introduce a few more Team Slayer playlists with no instant respawn (ideally, take it out entirely but that's just me being a bit greedy, I think). I think that'd be a good place to start for me to get at least a bit more active again. As much as I like being able to participate in the match almost constantly, this has the downside of creating a constant mess of combat and it never feels like there are highs and lows of a match anymore. That and being able to pick up my own kill because I get to spawn so quickly just feels wrong in some sense. However, I also feel instant respawn and the lack of permanent on-the-map respawning weapons both work hand-in-hand and both strive for the individual's gameplay experience rather than the team's.

I hate sounding negative, especially being a junior while there seems to be a mess of things going on here in HaloGAF, but I feel there are a good number of things for 343 to work on and think about for TUs for Halo 4 and I'm cautiously excited to see where they go.

Ghazi

Is the forge playlist that good? Didn't bother trying it because of how shitty forge maps were in reach and 3
YES! Simplex is really good and I'm alright with Relay. Scythe is kinda meh with me and I don't like Gar(r)ote that much.

Same.

For the first time since I removed Halo 4 from it's infuriating shrink-wrapped shell, I've had that unfamiliar sensation of wanting to keep playing, and go for another game. Halo's fun, but it's taken until late January to get a taste of it.

Instant respawn can still go, for my liking. A ranking system would work wonders, also. And Armour Abilities and Ordnance are completely superfluous, in my opinion. Besides that, though, I'm having a shocking amount of fun.

Again, congratulations to all those involved in making these early but necessary changes.
I don't enjoy it too much in Infinity Slayer, I like objective game types (especially basket... I mean Oddball), but the Forge playlist has me wanting more. So it seems like a step in the right direction and hopefully they keep going that way. (Talking about Halo 4 in general, not instant respawns.)

I don't like instant respawns too much, I'm the kind of person who likes to hurry to get back in the game, previous Halo's let me collect mself again and figure out what I wanted to do when I spawned. Now it's just press X, sprint forward, and figure out something quick

'Static'. From what I've heard they spawn X minutes after someone picks them up instead of them spawning every X minutes.

?!? That's interesting, I didn't know that. I've never been too good with timing so if I ran to a spawn and it wasn't there I always assumed that either someone beat me to it or I had come early.

Computer

*brofist*

Halo 4 is still largely disappointing in my book.

That is a understatement. I was the hype train conductor for months. I would force everyone I knew to watch every new Halo 4 vid that came out. Then brag about how great it is going to amazballs be for hours. I even bought 2 copies so I would not have to share with my GF. Now I feel like a jackass no one I know plays the game. Playing alone makes the game 1000 times worse and my seconded copy is a coaster.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Maybe not your guys' area, but if that playlist sticks around past this week, any chances of having some gametypes added? Lockout Oddball and King, CTF Despair (not sure about this one), maybe Oddball/King Scythe.

(then a severe reduction in Slayer weighting because I just can't stand Infinity Slayer and don't have the party count to force the vote away from it)

I don't really know, sorry.

Question: Whats the timers on the weapons in the lockout remake? 3 or 2 min?

I don't know off the top of my head. I wanna say 3 minutes.

Arnie

Is the forge playlist that good? Didn't bother trying it because of how shitty forge maps were in reach and 3

I'm really enjoying it, and I hadn't played the game for around a month prior to its inclusion. I'd definitely suggest giving it a try; static weapon spawns and symmetrical maps make a huge difference in how I'm able to tolerate the inane, ancillary crust.

I'm really enjoying it, and I hadn't played the game for around a month prior to its inclusion. I'd definitely suggest giving it a try; static weapon spawns and symmetrical maps make a huge difference in how I'm able to tolerate the inane, ancillary crust.

There's weapon drops! That alone sounds good. How are ordnance drops, hopefully toned down

Zocano

You'll fit right in

But I actually like playing Halo 4 (at least with teams, I tend to stay away from playing my most beloved of multiplayer games if it means I have to play alone-- especially Halo where the team's cooperation is so important), I just have a few grievances with the game that I'd (though I'm sure all of us would) love to see tended to.

Also I'm typically a positive person when it comes to games and even enjoy "bad" games (I love Too Human and I always will).

Ghazi

But I actually like playing Halo 4 (at least with teams, I tend to stay away from playing my most beloved of multiplayer games if it means I have to play alone-- especially Halo where the team's cooperation is so important), I just have a few grievances with the game that I'd (though I'm sure all of us would) love to see tended to.

Also I'm typically a positive person when it comes to games and even enjoy "bad" games (I love Too Human and I always will).

I used to be a positive person about bad games, then I bought Brink for full price on day 1. We can just say that since then I've been much more hesitant with purchases about games until I've tried them myself (Halo 4 was the only game recently that I haven't done that with and look how that turned out.)

Arnie

There's weapon drops! That alone sounds good. How are ordnance drops, hopefully toned down

Ordnance is still in, would like to say that they're less frequent, but that could just be a placebo triggered by my overriding joy of receiving some of the staple features Halo's known for. Suffice it to say, the ordnance didn't taint my enjoyment so significantly that I stopped playing.

It's a start, for sure.

J10

Banned
Are people here enjoying the Forge playlist because the rest of Halo 4 is that bad? I remember a lot of folks here loathing Forge-centric playlists in Reach. Was the rest of Reach that good in comparison? Or is it more specifically that the Forge offering so far in Halo 4 is just better than the offering in Reach? Basically, what I'm asking is: what the hell is going on?

Ghazi

Are people here enjoying the Forge playlist because the rest of Halo 4 is that bad? I remember a lot of folks here loathing Forge-centric playlists in Reach. Was the rest of Reach that good in comparison? Or is it more specifically that the Forge offering so far in Halo 4 is just better than the offering in Reach? Basically, what I'm asking is: what the hell is going on?
Forge in 4 isn't really better than Reach's, but the combination of some. "classic settings" and some actually alright maps makes it fun in my book.

DeadNames

Banned

Static spawns dawg.

Not to mention some of the maps are decent. Relay is okay, and I think I played Garrote(?) and it sucked. And while the maps are eyesores, they are nowhere NEAR as bad as Reach's maps.

What are the Forge playlist settings:

Personal Ordnance?
Global Ordnance?
Weapons on Map?
Loadouts?
Customized Loadouts?
Respawn time?

Anything else I forgot? Scoring system back to 1-50 yet?

Zocano

Personal Ordnance?
Global Ordnance?
Weapons on Map?
Loadouts?
Customized Loadouts?
Respawn time?

Anything else I forgot?

I found with a bit of experimenting that respawn time (at least for me) was annoying to set. I could never find the option to take out the prompt to "respawn faster" so I just had to set the playlist respawn time to, say (If I recall correctly), 9 seconds, if I wanted a 5 second respawn. Of course this means everyone has to hit the respawn faster prompt, but I think it has to be dealt with because at 5 seconds, the "respawn faster" prompt respawns you in.. 2 seconds? But it has been quite some time since I've messed with the settings so take what I say with some salt.

A very useful video about the Forge Playlist (specially weapon drops) by THC(Clicked)

Next week is Griffball, somewhat excited to try it out in matchmaking, had fun with friends in customs. :)

(And the specs Engineer and Stalker will be unlocked for everyone, if I remember correctly Stalker is the one with the almost useless armor mod and Engineer is the one that help you against EMP... I think)

Arnie

Personal Ordnance?
Global Ordnance?
Weapons on Map?
Loadouts?
Customized Loadouts?
Respawn time?

Anything else I forgot? Scoring system back to 1-50 yet?

Instant respawn is still enabled. Scoring is still a convoluted mess. Personal ordnance is still present. Loadouts are pre-designed by 343, although the boltshot is still secondary on some of the classes. No global audience, instead there are static weapon spawns, ala Halo. And I think that's that.

Symmetrical maps with decent colour co-ordination for map movement helps a ton, too.

Karl2177

Yeah the static spawns are nice. I wish I had known that static spawns were being accepted before submitting Intercession to the CCs, because the map definitely plays better with them. Instead I created dummie random nodes to replace the initial ordnance after they had been snatched up. That being said, I'm fine with the random ordnance on it, but I definitely would like to have known that I could have normal ordnance.

Tzeentch

-Spartan Ops 1.5, big improvement over the first half in every way.
I think you're being far too generous with this assessment. They made some incremental improvements, but calling them "big" isn't particularly accurate in my opinion. Certainly they don't change the trajectory of Spartan Ops population or Halo 4 online population in general. If the idea was that Season 1 was a taste to get people to purchase a Season 2 they have a long ways to go. If they were hoping to keep pumping out quick and easy Spartan Ops to keep people engaged until Halo 5 they need to step it up a hell of a lot more than the jump from 1 - 1.5.

Top Bottom