• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

JackHerer

Is there anywhere that I can watch video from the tournament? Or at least the finals.

Wasn't able to catch them this weekend unfortunately.

HTupolev

Halo_1_pistol.png
You mean the pistol that takes a minimum of 4 shots to bring down the weakest standard elite on easy difficulty?

Moa

I honestly can't tell anymore.

There's actually been a strain of positivity lately. It's... confusing ;p

But I'm glad to see movement on the competitive front.

Imagine how positive it will be when the Competitive playlist launches!

One can hope.

I don't even have those fancy new phones. How the hell am I suppose to see my rank. Thanks, Obama.

I hope you like loading screens, especially inconsistent slow ones!

"The boltshot is OP." "Where's my CE pistol already!?"

The thing worked great in LAN, but it would be abused to hell and back if was introduced to Halo now.

come on dude, you know it's a different pistol in campaign and multiplayer

Any gun from campaign is going to be similar if not identical in MM.

Well, there's no way that logos that don't yet exist for systems that are yet to be named/also don't yet exist could appear on a promotional poster made last year, so that's not too surprising.

We don't really know what's going on until we see some sort of official announcement. I wouldn't be surprised either way, though. Had that leak not happened late last year, we would know almost nothing about the game. Bungie's keeping this very close to the vest. I'm kind of thinking that the reason they're holding off on releasing any details about the game is that they're waiting for next-gen consoles to be revealed first. I could be wrong, though. I often am.

Waiting for next gen announcements is why we officially know about next to zero games that are hitting in the second half of this year, and Destiny very well could fall into that category.

Either way, we'll know within the next few months.

HTupolev

come on dude, you know it's a different pistol in campaign and multiplayer
That's a big "sort of," and I wasn't aware that Palmer existed in Halo's competitive multipla...

"Infinity"

Oh.

eagleburnn said:
That's not as strictly true as you might expect, especially when talking about Halo 1 (one of the real kickers there is bloom behaviour!)

"The boltshot is OP." "Where's my CE pistol already!?"

The thing worked great in LAN, but it would be abused to hell and back if was introduced to Halo now.
that's a false equivalency and you know it. One is a weapon that is a one-hit kill at much too far a range and requires a little skill to kill, the other is a three-hit kill that requires a lot of skill to get a kill and often takes more than those three shots. And that's completely disregarding the rest of the CE weapon sandbox where each weapon was powerful on its own and had its place and use

No, the pistol in CE's multiplayer literally did double the damage of the one in campaign

That's a big "sort of," and I wasn't aware that Palmer existed in Halo's competitive multipla...

"Infinity"

Oh.
are you responding to the right post?

that's a false equivalency and you know it. One is a weapon that is a one-hit kill at much too far a range and requires a little skill to kill, the other is a three-hit kill that requires a lot of skill to get a kill and often takes more than those three shots. And that's completely disregarding the rest of the CE weapon sandbox where each weapon was powerful on its own and had its place and use

I agree that the gun took skill in CE, but the autoaim dramatically went up in H2 and it's stayed the same since (if not stronger). I just definitely see Bungie's and 343's reasoning for not re-introducing it since Halo went online.

that's a false equivalency and you know it. One is a weapon that is a one-hit kill at much too far a range and requires a little skill to kill, the other is a three-hit kill that requires a lot of skill to get a kill and often takes more than those three shots. And that's completely disregarding the rest of the CE weapon sandbox where each weapon was powerful on its own and had its place and use.

People always seem to forget that people weren't 3sk every time they aimed at someone with the pistol, 3sk was very difficult.

I agree that the gun took skill in CE, but the autoaim dramatically went up in H2 and it's stayed the same since (if not stronger). I just definitely see Bungie's and 343's reasoning for not re-introducing it since Halo went online.

True, and that's why you see people advocate for significantly reduced autoaim, aim assist, magnetism, hitboxes, increased strafe, etc.

That's true, but that's what makes the boltshot that much worse. They would have to reduce the reticule magnetism for the CE pistol to get it to work in any recent Halo game

Striker

A proper strafe/movement speed and melee strength are key to balance as much as however many bullets to kill a BR, Pistol, or whatever else may be. The movements and melee have gone to complete shit, unfortunately.

Forgive me if I'm ignorant on the matter, but why would this have an adverse effect on Mexican connections specifically?

The download connection is quite decent in mexico but our upload connection well......is quite horrible the incursion of Theater literally requires more upload data than before, playing Black Ops 2 against EU players is annoying because most of the times your bullets doesnt hit the target and they can kill you even when you are no in that position anymore or kill you after you wasted your entire clip in most of the matches, so most of the mexicans are playing 4v4 and 6v6 gametypes which require less upload data.

I dont want to think the nightmare in battlefield 4

HTupolev

are you responding to the right post?

I think so. I made a comment about the pistol's behaviour in the context of campaign, you responded by pointing out that we could be talking about the MP version of the weapon, and so I made a quip about how Palmer exists on the campaign side and wouldn't have access to an MP version of a weapon, except that Halo 4 tries to bridge the gap.

Speaking of that pistol's power...

No, the pistol in CE's multiplayer literally did double the damage of the one in campaign
CE's pistol actually seems to do damage varying by difficulty level. On normal difficulty, the damage is approximately equal to the one in multiplayer, while on higher difficulties it's a bit lower lower, and on easy it's higher. On heroic and legendary, it takes 4 shots rather than 3 to completely eliminate the shield bar.

On easy and normal, 3sking your coop partner (or 4sking on heroic and legendary) would be entirely possible were it not for friendly headshots being disabled.

the download connection is quite decent in mexico but our upload connection well......is quite horrible the incursion of Theater literally requires more upload data than before, playing Black Ops 2 against EU is annoying players because most of the times your bullets doesnt hit the target and they can kill you even whe you are no in that position anymore in most of the matches so most of the mexicans are playing 4v4 and 6v6 gametypes which require less upload data.

Why am I quoted there? I don't say that.

Fixed.
Dont know, quote error or something.

No problem, I was just really confused for a few seconds.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Tried playing the Crysis 3 beta, locked up my system thrice and ran terribly overall. Halo 4 runs better and looks better.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Also Scythe Swat is shit.
I like it!

WAIT A SECOND.

-Microsoft launches Xbox 420 with improved features, basically everything we expect, nothing special.

-Halo 5 turns out to be Xbox 420 Functionality Jesus much like Halo 2, with innovations such as clans, more than 100 friends, etc.

-Xbox 420 2 will get these features baked in but until then Halo 5 is the only one to have such innovations, thus smanging the competition until otherwise noted.

-Resulting feature parity sells buttloads of consoles.

MICROSOFT YOU CLEVER FUCKS
Haha, somehow that wouldn't surprise me.

Computer

I hope that there is not a shit load of forge maps in the competitive playlist I don't want another Reach repeat. Forge is just ugly and even playing aloneit has bad frame rates. Hopfuly they will incorporate some default maps and the maps from the new map pack.

Gordon

Are you guys finding the BS to be as problematic as it was at launch? To me it feels like it was only a problem because everybody wanted to try it out. I mean, obviously it's not great for some maps, but with the speed of gameplay that Halo 4 has and the balance between the other CQC weapons, I don't find it that bad. It just feels like players who focus on using CQC when I'm focused on more of a long/mid game are frustrating. Same deal as people using a magnum in Team Snipers, or people who AR rush constantly.

I hope that there is not a shit load of forge maps in the competitive playlist I don't want another Reach repeat. Forge is just ugly and even playing aloneit has bad frame rates. Hopfuly they will incorporate some default maps and the maps from the new map pack.
Sounds like they're looking for competitive variants of non-forge maps too. Just don't forget that default maps have the same FR issues as forged ones. Personally I'm stoked for more community maps - the dev maps' style bores me after a while.

Rev3rb

There will likely be forge maps in that playlist (not a lot), along with the DLC ones.

Moa

Other than Haven & Solace, what else is there?

Not our fault the on-disc maps suck, Forge is a godsend.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Tashi, I sent you a pm. My questions are the best.

Thanks for putting this together!

I'm hesitant to open the PM honestly.

edit: Ok, I was wrong. They were surprisingly civil.

Also, what invites are you talkin about bro? I don't remember getting any invites from you.

darthbob

WAIT A SECOND.

-Microsoft launches Xbox 420 with improved features, basically everything we expect, nothing special.

-Halo 5 turns out to be Xbox 420 Functionality Jesus much like Halo 2, with innovations such as clans, more than 100 friends, etc.

-Xbox 420 2 will get these features baked in but until then Halo 5 is the only one to have such innovations, thus smanging the competition until otherwise noted.

-Resulting feature parity sells buttloads of consoles.

MICROSOFT YOU CLEVER FUCKS

Is there any particular reason you keep on referring to the Xbox 360 successor as Xbox 420?

I'm hesitant to open the PM honestly.

edit: Ok, I was wrong. They were surprisingly civil.

Also, what invites are you talkin about bro? I don't remember getting any invites from you.

I'm always civil, just disgruntled. haha

I was joking about one day with Reach when I invited you several times throughout the day and finally on the 5th one you accepted.

m23

Although I would love for Destiny to be a next gen launch title, I don't see it happening. Forza 5 will have to do.

The download connection is quite decent in mexico but our upload connection well......is quite horrible the incursion of Theater literally requires more upload data than before, playing Black Ops 2 against EU players is annoying because most of the times your bullets doesnt hit the target and they can kill you even when you are no in that position anymore or kill you after you wasted your entire clip in most of the matches, so most of the mexicans are playing 4v4 and 6v6 gametypes which require less upload data.

I live only about an hour from Ciudad Juarez, and I'd argue the point that it's likely not your upload speed perse. A lot of the issues that Mexicans have connection-wise comes from the routing paths that the data takes to get through to other countries. Latency is the problem I have with Mexican connections myself.

Believe it or not, even when one of our party is host, playing against Mexicans is oftentimes worse than playing Aussies, UK, etc. A fact that folks from other countries don't often realize when they complain about American connections is that the game is just as bad for us when we match you guys, even when one of us is host. The issue arises from the fact that there are limited throughput (notenoughbandwidth.jpg) between countries, often for technical reasons, but also for legal.

As an example of what I mean, I've played against people in Juarez and the connection is just horrible. This is just ~80 or so miles away. Then I'll play against people in El Paso, TX (literally the same distance) and it's smooth as butter. Then I'll play on something like mastrbiggy's host in CA (hundreds of miles away) and it's even smoother. It's all to do with latency and routing paths, of which there are quite few for Mexico (or New Mexico in my case, lol).

Now, your local upload speed options may indeed be an issue, but there is a set amount of player data that gets sent. The time it takes to arrive is the biggest factor in your experience, not the amount of data sent every second (again, assuming the data gets sent).

Why am I quoted there? I don't say that.

No problem, I was just really confused for a few seconds.

We are one, confirmed.

This article is the closest to hearing any sort of information about multi-platforms and Destiny. Although, nothing is confirmed directly, just more chatter.

I see Bungie announcing their game before GDC this year in March, since they're discussing their new world there. As far a multiplatform, I wouldn't be surprised if this fall we get it on the current Xbox and it's successor, then following in 2014, we get all the other consoles on board (PS3, PS4, PC).

Right I knew it was always planned to be multi-platform. I just wasn't sure if it would launch on the 360 then come out for the 720 down the road or come out for both of them right away.

Solace would be good if:
-It was actually symmetrical
-It wasn't cluttered with crates
-There were more ways into each base, so that games did not revolve around camping,
-There were set weapon spawns
-Camo or jetpack were not AAs
-The bolt shot and DMR were not starting weapons
-The snipers spawned in the back of the base
-That lift in the middle did not completely obscure vision
-The walls on the side where higher so that the balconies did not have such a complete view of the map.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
If you block off bottom middle, I see Solace as a decent map.

There is always Solari too.
Actually, you know what, just getting rid of Jetpack, Camo, and Promethean Vision would triple my enjoyment of that map.

Solace would be good if:
-It was actually symmetrical
-It wasn't cluttered with crates
-There were more ways into each base, so that games did not revolve around camping,
-There were set weapon spawns
-Camo or jetpack were not AAs
-The bolt shot and DMR were not starting weapons
-The snipers spawned in the back of the base
-That lift in the middle did not completely obscure vision
-The walls on the side where higher so that the balconies did not have such a complete view of the map.
I don't agree with that whole list, but most of it, for sure.

Top Bottom