• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Moa

Will there be personal ordnance in the competitive playlist?

please say no

They never mentioned it, but to be honest, I don't see Personal Ordnance being turned on in Extraction & CTF as well, if it was, it would be something similar to MLG with AAs in Ordnance.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
When global ordnance was first revealed, didn't 343 say each team would have advanced warning of each drop? It was suggested that teams would then shift their tactics to control the part of the map where the ordance was going to drop. But that's not really how it turned out. There's little (or no?) advanced warning. The ordnance drops, an indicator pops up on everyone's HUD, and then it's a mad, sloppy battle to see who can get there first without dying. And then it's frequently rewarded to whoever just happened to be strolling by at the right place / right time -- pure chance.

It sounded potentially cool in theory, but it's not even what we got. What a downgrade from static weapon spawns.

Moa

When global ordnance was first revealed, didn't 343 say each team would have advanced warning of each drop? It was suggested that teams would then shift their tactics to control the part of the map where the ordance was going to drop. But that's not really how it turned out. There's little (or no?) advanced warning. The ordnance drops, an indicator pops up on everyone's HUD, and then it's a mad, sloppy battle to see who can get there first without dying. And then it's frequently rewarded to whoever just happened to be strolling by at the right place / right time -- pure chance.

It sounded potentially cool in theory, but it's not even what we got. What a downgrade from static weapon spawns.

Sounds like that evolved into an Armour Mod, Drop Recon to be exact.

All that sort of stuff was subject to change, I mean when they announced Specializations, Stability originally was said to not knock you out of scope when shot, but we later learned it became global and Stability just reduced flinch.

What I would love, is just a marker similar to King of the Hill, around 5 seconds before X weapon is going to spawn, have a marker there with a timer.

Rev3rb

The TU will fix that.

I guess you could say I'm not afraid of taking potshots at Microsoft.

3b1b7_ORIG-fouad_family_guy_pictureboxart_160w.jpg

Computer

This is what I thought it was going to be as well and it is a great idea. The only problem is who the fuck is going to fight over a needler droping on Haven when you can spawn a incendiary cannon at your feet. Personal ordinance has to be removed if this game is ever going to be good I hope they realize this. Also there is no need to spawn anymore power weapons on the map the game is littered with them. There is no weapon or map awareness anymore. Just run to where everyone is fighting get kills die repeat. They thought this would help casual players get kills. Skilled players are always going to beat casual no matter how much you dumb down the game. Everytime I play with a new or casual player they say "Halo sucks now there is too much going on it was better when everyone started with the same shit." So in the process of making halo a game for casuals they made it harder for them to play.

I for one am glad Snipedown hasnt retired from pressing buttons on a controller.

Was really worried for a second.

Ill keep my weapons on map, timed respawns, no instant respawn, and no perks. You can keep your change.

I for one am glad Snipedown hasnt retired from pressing buttons on a controller.

Was really worried for a second.

Ill keep my weapons on map, timed respawns, no instant respawn, and no perks. You can keep your change.

We press buttons to shoot guns.

Crimson shoots guns to press buttons.

WE ARE THE REAL EGGHEADS

TheOddOne

We press buttons to shoot guns.

Crimson shoots guns to press buttons.

WE ARE THE REAL EGGHEADS
But the machines in the sky control our brains, they command us to push buttons. What if the buttons are bad things, what if they control the balance, what if they keep us alive. The buttons will lead us to salvation. The button Jesus will save us.

Yup, it obviously ended up changing for the worse sometime after the initial info reveal. What we have in the game right now is flat out broken, it just does not drive fun gameplay. Its far too random, and most of the time you don't even know a weapon drops because someone happened to be nearby and grabbed it. If 343 does do a TU I hope they change the way global ordinance works, whether by reintroducing static and predictable weapon spawns, or indicating random drops well in advanced.

Just got Forza Motorsports 4 in the mail today. Any other HaloGAF users here a fan of Forza? I bought Forza 4 at launch and stupidly let it leave my hands. Glad I got a new copy. Great game.

Forza Horizon is also pretty awesome.

After I race a bit I'll probably go grind Grifball a bit more.

Fuchsdh

If you block off bottom middle, I see Solace as a decent map.

There is always Solari too.
Aside from the rush for initial ordnance who actually uses the basement of Solace? To me it plays fine if you ignore it, and apparently most players do aside from the odd camper.

Aside from the rush for initial ordnance who actually uses the basement of Solace? To me it plays fine if you ignore it, and apparently most players do aside from the odd camper.

I treat Solace like a Mirror's Edge map and combine it with Hologram for ultimate mind games. If I'm taking fire I'll hop in the central hole, fire off a hologram into the lift (so it goes back up) and then retreat down there for the plasmas.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I use it to go from base-to-base unnoticed. Usually works pretty well, cause people are so focused on the action upstairs.

Computer

Yup, it obviously ended up changing for the worse sometime after the initial info reveal. What we have in the game right now is flat out broken, it just does not drive fun gameplay. Its far too random, and most of the time you don't even know a weapon drops because someone happened to be nearby and grabbed it. If 343 does do a TU I hope they change the way global ordinance works, whether by reintroducing static and predictable weapon spawns, or indicating random drops well in advanced.

It may be a dumb idea but I think it would be cool to have Steitzer say somthing like rockets in 15 seconds. Then he could count down from 5. That way casuals will only have to know where the rockets spawn. Hell they could even have a way point. It is a better system then what we have.

Idea for Halo 5: have Steitzer handle personal merits and Jennifer Hale voice a separate AI similar to Team Fortress 2's announcer (so robo-Halsey basically) for global indicators. It could help clear up the chatter a little bit. Example:

Steitzer: "DOUBLE KILL, TRIPLE KILL, OOOOVERKILL"

Robo-Halsey: "ORDNANCE SPAWNS IN 15 SECONDS, SNIPER-CLASS"

Steitzer: "KILLTACULAR, DORITOMANJARO"

Robo-Halsey: "ORDNANCE SPAWNS IN 15, SECONDS, WILDCARD-CLASS"

Gordon

It may be a dumb idea but I think it would be cool to have Steitzer say somthing like rockets in 15 seconds. Then he could count down from 5. That way casuals will only have to know where the rockets spawn. Hell they could even have a way point. It is a better system then what we have.
That would drive me up the wall. He talks too much as it is.

Moa you nailed the exact question i wanted to ask. I really need a permanent Snipers list, It has been permanent in nearly every Halo game so far. In most cases a couple months into the life time of the game.

Any info on this would be great.

Tashi please ask Moa's question!!! Specific focus on Snipers!!!

So not only do we show where the weapon spawns but remind bad kids when it comes up?

...no, no no no no. no.

Casuals can suck it. Timing is an acquired skill, people can play forever and not take advantage of this skill, its adding a different level of planning and preparation and thinking above the immediacy of each individual battle.

Excited for cookie cutter responses from lead MP designer.

Tawpgun

I know Tashi said he has the right to ignore some of the questions we want to ask him, I just hope you'll still allow some harder hitting ones.

That's the worst part about when IGN or some shit interviews a dev. It's the same easy responses.

Top Bottom