• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Dirtbag

PS4 is more powerful. So Microsoft will really need to hit it out of the park with exclusives because if the PS4 has cross-game chat, still free online, PS+ deals, "share" feature and Destiny...Im switching over.

I've been on this train for about a month now.
The controller was also a big one for me, I hate the dualshock. The sticks and triggers are horrendous. I really hope they make a better controller with a little weight to it.

Madness

Someone get FyreWulff in here to break this shit down for us...

Also, why the fuck are people voting for infinity doubles over doubles pro? Why don't you play infinity slayer if you want that bullshit randomness all the time and let those of us who've wanted this since launch enjoy a semi-decent competitive playlist with no radar.

Omni

Sorry, I wasn't clear. How powerful is it compared to the Xbox 360?
It's a big difference. Don't worry, it's definitely a next-gen console judging by its rumoured specs. Just kinda disappointing compared to Sony's next console.

Why get rid of Community Playtest? To make it better behind curtains? Why not keep it the same and switch it up once a month or something? Taking it down makes everyone hate that it's gone. Sure, I guess it helps people understand that when it comes back, it will be different but why don't they inform players via other methods.

Even a version number or something. Oooh, Community Playtest v3! I wonder what's new? (Checks playlist description for list of maps available).

Madness

PS4 is more powerful. So Microsoft will really need to hit it out of the park with exclusives because if the PS4 has cross-game chat, still free online, PS+ deals, "share" feature and Destiny...Im switching over.

What exclusives? You can bet Epic Games would love for Gears to be multi platform next generation. How much can they really gain from an MS payment versus money from pc/playstation players? Besides Halo, possibly a new Alan Wake, I don't see much else to be interested in anything from Microsoft.

Halo was the only reason I bought an Xbox, and if this is the future of the franchise, count me out.

With a possible new pro controller for the playstation and no longer the outdated dual shock, ps4 could be a huge hit.

Moa

Am I the only one that thinks power weapons spawn way too fast in Doubles?

A sixty second Sniper on Abandon is a bit too much.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Sounds like this gen except that Sony's console is more powerful and actually not complicated to develop for. The PS3 is more powerful than the 360, just the cell architecture makes it harder to make games for.

I'd assume we'll still see them be pretty close even if the PS4 has a bit more juice. Private chat will be a godsend though. Main reason my PS3 was an exclusives box/blueray player this gen.

This week's Spartan Ops episode was awesome but rushed too. I enjoyed to see
Osman
for the first time. Still I don't like her treatment to Lasky.
When Jul escapes from the Shield World, ONI destroys the life of a scientist. Lasky lets the Infinity get boarded with Prometheans, Halsey has been abducted under his command. Still nothing happens to him.
The prestige is helping him. I hope.

The first time they try to open a portal after on Requiem, it fails but then it just opens up (Cortana even looks suprised). My guess is that they were lead there by the Librarian.
The Librarian definitely does not open the portal at the end of the second mission. It is clearly the Didact's doing. The blue Knights are under Librarian's control and they try to stop the Chief.

If you do not believe me, why does the Librarian want the Chief and Cortana to release the Didact when she is warning them afterwards?

I'm guessing Halsey becomes Chief's new AI. If she gets united with Cortana fragments or something there'll probably be a mini-arc about her resolving all of her internal conflicts.
It would be nice to see conversation between her and a rampant Cortana. Especially since her lines in the composer mission.

PS4 > 720 > Wiiu
So no change like this generation.

Spartan Ops CG-

Well damn, its getting really good. Just like the actual missions, the CG has become more coherent, interesting and worthwhile.

That Elite vs Spartan fight was pretty damn cool, and I really liked them playing with the gear afterwards. All the stuff on the Infinity was also awesome, seeing Halsey get the spotlight is really interesting.. And we get to see Osman, who has successfully turned into an ONI asshole? Cool stuff, I just hope Im not supposed to like her, because she seems like the unlikeable sort. Not like Palmer though, who is literally just annoying and spews nonsense.

Anyways, Halsey is on ONIs hit-list. This is getting really, really interesting.. I hope this isn't leading up to them killing her, but I am fascinated on how the Spartan IIs will take this news.. something tells me if MC finds out he will intervene, she is the closest thing to Cortana he has left and he has always respected her. And now Im left wondering wtf Halsey stepped into at the end.. did she just turn herself into a Promethean? Or is that one of those Librarian things that happened to MC? So much potential..

But yeah, in other words, the story is more compelling than Halo 4s SP right now, I hope they don't screw it up. Im really getting sucked back into the universe and its possibilities again.

Playing the fourth chapter of Spartan Ops and the opening 'cutscene' thingy shows a Pelican killing a few grunts with its guns.

Now I'm sure that was supposed to be cool and all... but all the way through all I could think of is how much they screwed the Pelican's design up. I mean, they had one of the most badass futuristic vehicles ever

and they turned it into this monstrosity

Sure they kinda look the same... but eh.

Not looking forward to seeing that if we ever get a Halo 2: Anniversary.

If I recall correctly, there are two variants of Pelicans in Halo 4 and one looks closer to the old style. The biggest issue I have is how the changed the front windows, I prefer when they are clear and shiny glass. I like that they went back to the slightly more grey color though.

Playing Halo 4 made me realise how much I miss the brutes.

Also cant wait to see these guys when if we get halo 2 anniversary.

Honor_Guard.jpg

Honor Guard Brutes <3

Hell, I really do miss the Brutes.. if Halo 5 has Brutes, Elites and all the other Covies to fight plus a redone Promethean enemy group I will be a happy camper.

Fuchsdh

PS3 was more powerful too. Who cares about the e-peen measuring? The other things you mention matter far more.

wwm0nkey

PS3 was more powerful too. Who cares about the e-peen measuring? The other things you mention matter far more.

Was more powerful but also a bitch to develop which is why most of that was never used, it would actually matter this time if they made it easy to work with (which most people are saying they have)

Moa

And now Im left wondering wtf Halsey stepped into at the end.. did she just turn herself into a Promethean? Or is that one of those Librarian things that happened to MC? So much potential..

She walked into same sort of thing Chief did, and talks with the fragment of the Librarian.

I still have no idea why Halsey wants to talk to the Librarian
, do the books clear this part up?

I just saw this news at HBO.
Greg Bear commented which Didact we had faced in Halo 4(Silentium spoiler):
Date: 11/24/2012

I'm sure this would constitute a major spoiler and probably cannot be answered but is it possible we could get a hint or clue as to which Didact we faced in Halo 4? Is he the Bornstellar-Didact or the Ur-Didact?

Date: 02/01/2013

I think it's safe to say by now... it's the Ur-Didact. Severely distorted by his experiences in HALO SILENTIUM!
http://www.gregbear.com/blog/display.cfm?id=6897

That's a nice twist. I hope it gets explained well.

Spartan Ops CG-

Well damn, its getting really good. Just like the actual missions, the CG has become more coherent, interesting and worthwhile.

That Elite vs Spartan fight was pretty damn cool, and I really liked them playing with the gear afterwards. All the stuff on the Infinity was also awesome, seeing Halsey get the spotlight is really interesting.. And we get to see Osman, who has successfully turned into an ONI asshole? Cool stuff, I just hope Im not supposed to like her, because she seems like the unlikeable sort. Not like Palmer though, who is literally just annoying and spews nonsense.

Anyways, Halsey is on ONIs hit-list. This is getting really, really interesting.. I hope this isn't leading up to them killing her, but I am fascinated on how the Spartan IIs will take this news.. something tells me if MC finds out he will intervene, she is the closest thing to Cortana he has left and he has always respected her. And now Im left wondering wtf Halsey stepped into at the end.. did she just turn herself into a Promethean? Or is that one of those Librarian things that happened to MC? So much potential..
I though the
SIV checking out the Covenant gear
was totally awkward. Hey, those stuff and weapons are available in their war games simulation and you can pick up active camouflage as a loudout item and they never saw it before? lol what?

TheOddOne

Was more powerful but also a bitch to develop which is why most of that was never used, it would actually matter this time if they made it easy to work with (which most people are saying they have)
It is really interesting to see MS go for custom hardware and Sony for off the shelf parts. Vita was also off the shelf, said to be developer friendly, but now has a real software drought.

Fuchsdh

She walked into same sort of thing Chief did, and talks with the fragment of the Librarian.

I still have no idea why Halsey wants to talk to the Librarian
, do the books clear this part up?

I'd say pure knowledge, although I think the Chief having talked with her might have piqued her interest.

Really looking forward to Lasky manning up since I doubt he's actually going to kill Halsey... I certainly wouldn't if I knew about the blood feud that's driving Osman.

Introducing art for a new weapon: the Gravity Gauntlet!

Bq4TBsd.jpg

Gonna type out some of my notes just in case they're illegible:

Disadvantages:
-Tractor beam will pull in the closest object AND can be "intercepted" (walking into the beam, driving into it, and so on) by teammates, live grenades, etc
-Very poor battery life
-Your enemies will probably notice you're holding a giant fucking glowing power fist

Advantages:
-Melee is on par with the sword (so in Halo 4, instant kill. In my sandbox it would be two hits to kill)
-Decent range
-Will literally pick up any weapon, objective, and so on. Interactive objects like crates are unaffected. You can yank vehicles to fuck with them but it won't be much use other than tethering a hog with you if you fall off the map or something

Gravsassinations:
-Hitting an airborne target will have you slam them to the ground and then fling them as far as humanly possible, like Chief in the Cutscene
-Hitting a grounded target will have you turn them around, backhand them with the gauntlet's "adamantium knuckles," essentially ripping their face off to immediately initiate a vaporizing effect like the other Promethean ordnance

Moa

I'd say pure knowledge, although I think the Chief having talked with her might have piqued her interest.

Really looking forward to Lasky manning up since I doubt he's actually going to kill Halsey... I certainly wouldn't if I knew about the blood feud that's driving Osman.

Now that I think about it, makes perfect sense when she asked Roland to prepare a Pelican for immediate launch.

I always assumed she was going to locate Chief somehow, not travel onto Requiem alone to find the Librarian.

EDIT: How to unstick yourself with a Thruster Pack

I don't care if Halo 5 needs to be delayed six months, give it a fucking beta next time.

I enjoyed this CGI,
Osman outshined Palmer instantly for me and the Episode 7 was pointless anyway they take Halsey because Palmer let them take her.

I though the
was totally awkward. Hey, those stuff and weapons are available in their war games simulation and you can pick up active camouflage as a loudout item and they never saw it before? lol what?

That was the worst part of the CGI, they take his items and play like assholes with them.

Fuchsdh

I just saw this news at HBO.
Greg Bear commented which Didact we had faced in Halo 4(Silentium spoiler):
Date: 11/24/2012

I'm sure this would constitute a major spoiler and probably cannot be answered but is it possible we could get a hint or clue as to which Didact we faced in Halo 4? Is he the Bornstellar-Didact or the Ur-Didact?

Date: 02/01/2013

I think it's safe to say by now... it's the Ur-Didact. Severely distorted by his experiences in HALO SILENTIUM!
http://www.gregbear.com/blog/display.cfm?id=6897

That's a nice twist. I hope it gets explained well.

I though the

Nice find. Not all that surprising but as you say it's a story that needs to be told well.

And yeah apparently Majestic did need more runs through the war games :p

Pro won't let people use their Camo/PromVision/Jetpack trollouts, that's why.

Its pretty amazing how in IS you actually have an advantage if you can use the DMR as opposed to be a scum bag camo camper or jetpacking + AR assbag.

I'd love to know when they play tested CTF that nobody thought Camo + Boltshot would be a problem. To make it worse, even if the idiot misses when I am trying to get the cap I cannot drop the flag to properly defend myself. Then of course If I was packing a power weapon, he gets those too. Its no wonder nobody goes for caps.

Buntabox

That was the worst part of the CGI, they take his items and play like assholes with them.

More examples of the stereotypical writing of Majestic Team. Halo games have never been the best on character development. They have always been ham fisted in their design. But these guys feel like the writing that all games/movies with soldiers are moving towards now. I really can't stand it. Noble Team was flat, but at least they weren't annoying. I was still able to like most of them. They mostly acted like normal people.

Akai__

You guys are seriously believing those leaks? No way, that the next gen Xbox is about half as good as the the PS4. This is just ridiculous.

---

I'm done with this game. May play through SpOps, but multiplayer is dead for me, again. What a suprise...

Also played through ODST the other day. That feeling, when you walk down the roads and when some epic music plays in the background. Goose bumps everywhere. :D

NOKYARD

Just played Pro on Haven. Nice touches like coloring the sides. Lost by one point because time expired (would have tied it) and my partner went -14. I should have babysit him more, but I was more pressed to get Railgun and Sticky Detonator kills, both of which I'm trying to get commendations for, and both of which spawned regularly and in the same places. :) BRs and Needlers were lying around the map too.
Thank you.

Also, Light Rifle and Carbine. The placed weapons each have a pair of matching grenades.

But tweaked Solace is still shit.
Did the best i could.

At least the map is perfectly symmetrical for CTF.

Am I the only one that thinks power weapons spawn way too fast in Doubles?

A sixty second Sniper on Abandon is a bit too much.
Broken. Should be 120 seconds. Expect updates.

I'm gonna miss the community forge test maps.
The Forge Playtest is designed to test maps of specific categories. The initial test was for compact 4v4 & 2v2. It also served as a feasibility study to determine if this form of community map release works better than dropping unfamiliar maps into existing playlists. I don't have access to the data but from my observations it seems that inviting players to play on new maps with the intention of seeking their feedback works way better than shoving maps down their throats without notice.

It is also nice to see builders actively participating in their feedback threads. Some very substantial updates have been suggested by players who would previously resort to forum bitching to have their complaints heard. Now they have the power to improve their experiences directly.

There may be future Forge Playtests to assess maps in other categories.

No promises, but my weapon sandbox may or may not get a few demo reel videos for demonstrations. It's hard to convey sound design and animation with flat pictures, after all. Let's just say the first one should grab some attention. :)

You guys are seriously believing those leaks? No way, that the next gen Xbox is about half as good as the the PS4. This is just ridiculous.

---

I'm done with this game. May play through SpOps, but multiplayer is dead for me, again. What a suprise...

Also played through ODST the other day. That feeling, when you walk down the roads and when some epic music plays in the background. Goose bumps everywhere. :D

It's possible. Look what the Wii did? If MS is still truly interested at being priced like the WiiU at launch with a Kinect then it isn't far fetched. Xbox is a name now. Plus, If the PS4 again is high priced compared to the other 2 its going to suffer.

For me, I am buying the system with the most beef. The only game I care about is Halo but I am not buying a system for it anymore. Halo 5 is 2 years away minimum anyway.

CyReN

Risen, if you are still alive the team doubles playlist is live and I'm getting on now. We can relive our double team reach glory days once more.

Nice find. Not all that surprising but as you say it's a story that needs to be told well.

And yeah apparently Majestic did need more runs through the war games :p
Sooo is it
Ur-Didact Mentally & Physically? Or is it Bornstellar's Body BUT controlled by Didact's Mental/Spiritual Essence?

Still confused abit.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
No the user that stated half as good is off, but Orbis does have its (seemingly clear) advantages that would most likely see use from its 1st party devs.

Sooo is it
Ur-Didact Mentally & Physically? Or is it Bornstellar's Body BUT controlled by Didact's Mental/Spiritual Essence?

Still confused abit.

From what I've heard of the books (Cryptum/Primordium spoiler),
Bornstellar-Didact had fangs and the original did not.
I would guess that (more book info)
When the Didact was left for dead on the flood-infected world, he had to pretty much blow out Bornstellar's essence or "soul" if you will and hijacked his body completely. So really, he left his old body to become infected, the consequences of which are unknown. But now, the Ur-Didact is the Bornstellar Didact in both body and mind. He's not "controlling" Bornstellar, he pretty much became Bornstellar.
And ultimately disfigured that body too due to all of the mutations, but that's another point.

IHaveIce

Banned
Did the best i could.

/QUOTE]
Oh don't worry, in my opinion you can't save Solace, Slayer games will just go to base camping.

You did some nice changes, didn't play ctf on it yet though.

Haven is really good, finally nice spawns

Fuchsdh

Sooo is it

Still confused abit.

Likely it's
ur-Didact in body and spirit. I think Bornstellar Didact is going to become the Didact we knew of in the Halo 3 terminals. It's still possible the Ur-Didact replaces Bornstellar some way but I think it's more likely that Bornstellar stays like he was, the Didact albeit leavened by Bornstellar's personality and his experience with humans while the Ur-Didact's circumstances cause him to become the strident sunuvabitch that we see in Halo 4.
Interested in how the Prometheans react to having two Didacts, I guess they sided with the original by default.

Either way I think this book is going to be awesome.

From what I've heard of the books (Cryptum/Primordium spoiler),
Bornstellar-Didact had fangs and the original did not.
I would guess that (more book info)
When the Didact was left for dead on the flood-infected world, he had to pretty much blow out Bornstellar's essence or "soul" if you will and hijacked his body completely. So really, he left his old body to become infected, the consequences of which are unknown. But now, the Ur-Didact is the Bornstellar Didact in both body and mind. He's not "controlling" Bornstellar, he pretty much became Bornstellar.
And ultimately disfigured that body too due to all of the mutations, but that's another point.
Mother of God! Fucking THANK YOU!

Shit drove me off the walls! Lol

Likely it's
ur-Didact in body and spirit. I think Bornstellar Didact is going to become the Didact we knew of in the Halo 3 terminals. It's still possible the Ur-Didact replaces Bornstellar some way but I think it's more likely that Bornstellar stays like he was, the Didact albeit leavened by Bornstellar's personality and his experience with humans while the Ur-Didact's circumstances cause him to become the strident sunuvabitch that we see in Halo 4.
Interested in how the Prometheans react to having two Didacts, I guess they sided with the original by default.

Annnd the plot thickens.. Shit D:

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Likely it's

"Either way I think this book is going to be awesome."

Really? It sounds awful.

Akai__

No the user that stated half as good is off, but Orbis does have its (seemingly clear) advantages that would most likely see use from its 1st party devs.

All I'm trying to say, is, that the consoles will be most likely very similiar. There is no way, that Microsoft will give away it's lead over the console market just like that. At least, I hope so.

Gordon

Introducing art for a new weapon: the Gravity Gauntlet!
Half-life called... lol
Looks like a sweet design. Would definitely make for an interesting twist on Grifball.

Hnngg..

Did the best i could.

I tried Solari earlier. Best CTF match of my life. I like Solari a LOT more than Solace. My only complaint is that the lift/beam in the middle is kinda hard to predict. I had a tendency to catch the edge of it while I was trying to run by and get thrown back. Is there a crate or two left in the budget that could block that?

Top Bottom