• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

how is the player base for Halo Reach's classic playlist? is it still active? I've been itching for some classic maps

i'm down for a GAF lobby

I dunno, but remember there's only one classic playlist now (4v4), it contains anniv. slayer, snipers, 1flag, 1bomb, oddball, multiflag, assault

ermahgawd Halo 2 is down in four days. :O

4 days, 20 hours.

"Halo 2 Vista...is all we have left. You trust 343i that much?"
"Sir. Yes, sir."
"This is either the best decision you've ever made or the worst. Hell if it is, halogaf? I doubt I'll live long enough to find out which."

turrible.
I regret nothing. :)

They should rename the Daily Challenges in Halo 4 to Daily Routines. There is no challenge in 99% of them. The 1 challenging % beeing a game mode you have to agonise yourself through.

Havok

They should rename the Daily Challenges in Halo 4 to Daily Routines. There is no challenge in 99% of them. The 1 challenging % beeing a game mode you have to agonise yourself through.
That there isn't a real challenge associated with them is a good thing. The second you introduce something that's actually challenging, you're just encouraging players who want that carrot to play like assholes in order to get it. See: every instance of That's Just Perfect, Drop Bears, Spray and Pray, Sticky Icky Icky, Came From Behind. Challenges like that have shown time and time again that introducing a goal like that starts to override the player's motivation to play for the primary goal, which is to win the game. You can do more complex challenges in PvE modes, because there isn't a team of players that is getting screwed over by Randy McRandom playing for a separate goal that is both totally useless to them and actively detrimental to their experience.

The reason they exist is to get players to come back every day, not to actually introduce challenge. It's the short-term counterpart to the Commendation system that works on a much longer time scale. I suspect the reason they're both increasing challenge payouts and decreasing challenge requirements is either that players weren't actually unlocking the challenges they were putting out there, or they weren't seeing the day-to-day player retention that they wanted, and thus player progression wasn't on track.

That there isn't a real challenge associated with them is a good thing. The second you introduce something that's actually challenging, you're just encouraging players who want that carrot to play like assholes in order to get it. See: every instance of That's Just Perfect, Drop Bears, Spray and Pray, Sticky Icky Icky, Came From Behind. Challenges like that have shown time and time again that introducing a goal like that starts to override the player's motivation to play for the primary goal, which is to win the game. You can do more complex challenges in PvE modes, because there isn't a team of players that is getting screwed over by Randy McRandom playing for a separate goal that is both totally useless to them and actively detrimental to their experience.

The reason they exist is to get players to come back every day, not to actually introduce challenge. It's the short-term counterpart to the Commendation system that works on a much longer time scale. I suspect the reason they're both increasing challenge payouts and decreasing challenge requirements is either that players weren't actually unlocking the challenges they were putting out there, or they weren't seeing the day-to-day player retention that they wanted, and thus player progression wasn't on track.

I agree. Didn't think of it that way.

Moa

I wish I had that in gif form.

:D

fb8e1a38a610221fc6ba2d7fbebdb070.gif

FyreWulff

I dunno, but remember there's only one classic playlist now (4v4), it contains anniv. slayer, snipers, 1flag, 1bomb, oddball, multiflag, assault

4 days, 20 hours.

"Halo 2 Vista...is all we have left. You trust 343i that much?"
"Sir. Yes, sir."
"This is either the best decision you've ever made or the worst. Hell if it is, halogaf? I doubt I'll live long enough to find out which."

I regret nothing. :)

There's a better game than Halo 2 Vista to play when it goes down. And I just beat it:

zYDyYX8.png

GMlRmRol.jpg

When can we expect the ranked playlist?

Month or two
or three

There's a challenge to assassinate two players today. Can't wait for all the easy kills of bk's trying to get behind me without shooting for their precious assassination. Love these type challenges.

Akai__

Friend has problem with opening his NAT, so, if you could help or figure out what the problem is, it would be much appreciated, 'cause I don't know what to do anymore...

He is going online with a LTE router and his NAT was open, some days ago, but then he had problems with his internet and he couldn't re-connect, so he decided to reset everything.

He has screenshots, of how the settings have been, before, but when he opens the ports, which are needed for an open NAT, nothing happens and his NAT stays closed.

Are there other settings, which are needed?

Graceful loser.

Did you actually keep a quote I made while you were banned just to comeback and post it with some completely irrelevant "graceful loser" response AND forget to tag me in it so no one knows what you're talking about?

Oh and for the record. I know you think you "won" that discussion we had about ODST but you did not and no one here thinks you did.

Forget this, I cannot be arsed to deal with it. Have fun. You did win the argument. ODST killed Halo.

TheOddOne

Did you actually keep a quote I made while you were banned just to comeback and post it with some completely irrelevant "graceful loser" response AND forget to tag me in it so no one knows what you're talking about?

Oh and for the record. I know you think you "won" that discussion we had about ODST but you did not and no one here thinks you did.

Forget this, I cannot be arsed to deal with it. Have fun. You did win the argument. ODST killed Halo.
Talking to brickwalls™ is always futile.

Akai__

ODST was fantastic. It's a really great game and I had so much fun replaying it and I will have in the future.

I wish Halo had more silenced weapons, which acted like silenced. The AI always knew, from where the shots were comming.

Ghazi

Too much Mtn. Dew killed Halo, it's bad for yo body kids! Halo just kept drinking and drinking until it became a bloated mess.

I got ODST a month ago and still haven't finished it, I did enjoy the Halo 3 disc though.

When are they going to announce a new Halo game? I have some thoughts about how they could make a better game than the last one, and I'd really like 343 to start ignoring those thoughts sooner rather than later.

Conor 419

Banned
Shake Appeal killed Halo.

P.S. ODST is still the best singleplayer Halo.

I love ODST's campaign, and nearly everything else about it. It's seemingly hard to forget however, that Halo's campaign is far less important to the general populace than its multiplayer, and apparently I'm the only Halo fan sane enough to realise that launching a Halo title without any competitive multiplayer for full price against the most wildly anticipated, feature packed sequel of all time was a terrible idea. Maybe I should reword 'ODST' to 'management of ODST's launch', the point remains however, this game marked the period when it all started going wrong.

You kind of proved my point, but the Carbine was only around in a limited capacity – less so than the BR in Halo 2 or 3, or the DMR/BR in Reach and Halo 4.

It's certainly the most unique, and I love it for what it is.

i guess it was less available, but i was always looking for one. the pistol was useless and the smg was only good for the bugs.

Havok

Infinity CTF on Exile is a complete and total abomination. There were well over a dozen sniper drops in a single match between the human rifle, Beam Rifle, and Binary Rifle (the Binary's existence in particular is equal parts baffling and infuriating). Not to mention the Incineration Cannons that popped up near the end. The worst part is that Infinity CTF has shown up in 2 of the three voting slots every single round I've played today, leaving just one spot open for a halfway decent gametype that still may or may not be on an asymmetric map. A round earlier: CTF Abandon, Infinity CTF Abandon, Infinity CTF Relay.

How this happens is beyond me.

Overdoziz

Banned
The differences in Firefight between ODST and Reach really show how having long range rifles available in abundance affects the gameplay. In ODST you have to get up close and use Covenant weapons regularly. In Reach you just sit a mile away from the Covenant shooting them with your DMR, while every so often you go back to your infinite amount of resupplies to fill up on more DMR ammo.

Also, the Pistol and SMG combo is the best. Even on Legendary I usually stick with those two weapons as much as possible. The SMG does a decent job at popping the shields of Brutes while the Pistol makes for very satisfying headshots.

Moa

Infinity CTF on Exile is a fucking abomination. There were well over a dozen sniper drops in a single match between the human rifle, Beam Rifle, and Binary Rifle (the Binary's existence in particular is equal parts baffling and infuriating). Not to mention the Incineration Cannons that popped up near the end. The worst part is that Infinity CTF has shown up in 2 of the three voting slots every single round I've played today, leaving just one spot open for a halfway decent gametype that still may or may not be on an asymmetric map. A round earlier: CTF Abandon, Infinity CTF Abandon, Infinity CTF Relay.

How this happens is beyond me.

zSEDZpS.png

I haven't dared to go near Capture the Flag since Infinity CTFs introduction, when Kevin first mentioned it, I honestly thought it was going to be a rotational playlist, not a permanent gametype.

I loved odst but for the most part I don't think halo has a good weapon sandbox at all, which is partly why I only ever want to use the sniper/BR, I'f making the good precision weapons harder to find is the only way for them to make me use the wider sandbox I consider it a fail rather than a success. I mean the swath of near identical spray and pray weapons are not fun to use for me at all and the only reason I used them in odst was because I had to.

Loved odst and it would have been a cakewalk with the BR - but my point is that the weapon sandbox is nothing to write home about. Hell even the BR is a dull weapon in campaign as its not like you are going to have a BR battle with a brute lol. The more I play them the less I think the gunplay itself is great in halo campaigns

Conor 419

Banned
The differences in Firefight between ODST and Reach really show how having long range rifles available in abundance affects the gameplay. In ODST you have to get up close and use Covenant weapons regularly. In Reach you just sit a mile away from the Covenant shooting them with your DMR, while every so often you go back to your infinite amount of resupplies to fill up on more DMR ammo.

I kinda preferred it when weapons of such range didn't exist outside of the SR's, I wouldn't object to their removal.

i guess it was less available, but i was always looking for one. the pistol was useless and the smg was only good for the bugs.

I disagree, and that statement makes me think you didn't experiment enough with the sandbox.

Pistol: great against Grunts, Jackals (all forms), head-shotting Brutes
S-SMG: great against Grunts, Jackals (shielded and Carbine), and Drones
AR: Mostly the same for S-SMG, but better against Brutes' shields and okay against shield Jackals
Brute Plasma Rifle: Great against shielded Jackals, Grunts, and Brutes' shields
Plasma Pistol: Same as always
Spikers: Good against Grunts

Rest is Carbine and power weapons.

I disagree, and that statement makes me think you didn't experiment enough with the sandbox.

Pistol: great against Grunts, Jackals (all forms), head-shotting Brutes
S-SMG: great against Grunts, Jackals (shielded and Carbine), and Drones
AR: Mostly the same for S-SMG, but better against Brutes' shields and okay against shield Jackals
Brute Plasma Rifle: Great against shielded Jackals, Grunts, and Brutes' shields
Plasma Pistol: Same as always
Spikers: Good against Grunts

Rest is Carbine and power weapons.

In reality having a plasma pistol and the human pistol was all you needed in odst - which could be dull. If the alternative was a rock paper scissors style 'you need this weapon for this engagement' that would have been more frustrating.

Halo's combat is good when it comes down to good AI - interesting set pieces and your abilities to move around like a spartan - the weapon sandbox itself needs to be versatile in order for the gameplay to shine in my opinion - the pp/ pistol combo is just super simplistic and doesn't really let anything interesting happen. On the other hand The close range weapon sandbox limits the gameplay too much.

Spartan Ops can be as good as ODST if 343 can start doing different things with it. They even compared it to ODST pre-launch, so I was expecting an experince different from the campaign.

The story is getting real good and the missions are improving (I still wouldn't call them great), but I feel like I'm just the Master Chief in a new set of missions with different armor on. Spartan Ops had so much potential.

Conor 419

Banned
Spartan Ops can be as good as ODST if 343 can start doing different things with it. They even compared it to ODST pre-launch, so I was expecting an experince different from the campaign.

The story is getting real good and the missions are improving (I still wouldn't call them great), but I feel like I'm just the Master Chief in a new set of missions with different armor on. Spartan Ops had so much potential.

It did, but I wouldn't hold out much hope for it. The last few episodes probably wont be enough to redeem the rest, which questions whether they'll even bother with season 2. I doubt they will.

Top Bottom