• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

HTupolev

That full, legless Harvester.

Gaze in Stunned Disbelief at the Tool of Our Destruction.
The Big Floaty Thing What Kicks Our Asses.

Or am I seeing influences that aren't there?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
It is just... Why even have 4 different primary precision rifles if they aren't balanced...

I thought Doubles Pro was a great sign. It had all 4 primary precision rifles.
I figured, "Hey! The DMR is a bit overpowered right now, but this might be a sign that they are going to rebalance the weapons in the upcoming title update!"

But, nope.

I love Halo 4's concept art. It makes me think of all the awesome things 343 could have accomplished if they had 6 months more of dev time.

The reason Doubles Pro was all rifles was to just give players the choice. Throwdown is a more competitive playlist and those settings have seen a lot of testing so they're fine tuned for BR Starts only. I had a problem with it before but I think until the weapons are balanced by 343, it's all good.

Just wait until you play it, it's good.

I don't have a problem with the different rifles in Doubles Pro because the DMR isn't necessarily the best on maps that small. BR is the go-to on Rail and Scythe imo

Gordon

Dont forget BR starts
I'm hoping we can see all four precision primaries as spawn guns in different variants. That would be a fun (but still reasonably 'classic') way to experience the sandbox. I just hope they fix death waypoints and get rid of that derpy radar. I've played with it. It's annoying. Virtually useless - just wasting my HUD space. Give me no radar or give me normal radar. Those I can handle. Friendly radar? C'mon guys.
(To be fair, I abused the shit out of the MLG radar in customs. Shank after shank after shank. It gives players a false sense of security, if they ever play normal MM. Commendations will be maxed out. The rage will be induced. Bring popcorn.)

And yeah, anybody else kinda want Binary Rifle/Scattershot as a voting option in Team Snipers? I mean, no complaints about Shotty Snipers, but flamey Shotty Snipers?

I cannot use an inconsistent weapon. i'll wait until the DMR gametype to even touch this playlist
If Carbine or LR starts were options would that appeal to you? I think the range on the DMR is excessive, and I think that more rounded gameplay comes from having your primary rifle out-ranged by snipers instead of just being less powerful. I think that's part of the 'classic' feel people want - challenging gunplay and having limits to push. CEA Magnum is one of my favorite primaries - cross-mapping with that thing vs. a sniper is rewarding as fuck.

I'm hoping we can see all four precision primaries as spawn guns in different variants. That would be a fun (but still reasonably 'classic') way to experience the sandbox. I just hope they fix death waypoints and get rid of that derpy radar. I've played with it. It's annoying. Virtually useless - just wasting my HUD space. Give me no radar or give me normal radar. Those I can handle. Friendly radar? C'mon guys.
(To be fair, I abused the shit out of the MLG radar in customs. Shank after shank after shank. It gives players a false sense of security, if they ever play normal MM. Commendations will be maxed out. The rage will be induced. Bring popcorn.)

And yeah, anybody else kinda want Binary Rifle/Scattershot as a voting option in Team Snipers? I mean, no complaints about Shotty Snipers, but flamey Shotty Snipers?

I cannot use an inconsistent weapon. i'll wait until the DMR gametype to even touch this playlist

heckfu

Banned

Your opinion is almost as dumb as your avatar.

Kidding with the insult, naturally, but no. That sounds miserable.

Gordon

fuck no. are you serious?
Hey man, there's no Action Sack okay?

Your opinion is almost as dumb as your avatar.
Ouch.
tumblr_me2r7mUzwr1qkc2l5o1_500.jpg
:)

I'd be down for it in Action Sack. But Snipers should be a hard playlist, no tomfoolery allowed
Well, Shotty Snipers is kinda Action Sack-ey. I mean, as long as Snipers Pro or whatever shows up in the first slot all the time, you'll only be seeing it by a majority vote.

Hey man, there's no Action Sack okay?

Ouch.
:)

Well, Shotty Snipers is kinda Action Sack-ey. I mean, as long as Snipers Pro or whatever shows up in the first slot all the time, you'll only be seeing it by a majority vote.

bahah I like you, even if you have dumb opinions sometimes :]

Team Sumo was the greatest thing to come out of Halo 3.

Sure there is, it's everything that starts with the word Infinity.

Havok getting in on the action?

TUwt3.gif

It boggles my mind how out of touch 343 is with the community. These are competent devs.

Truly.

The fact that everyone here never gets along on decisions but ultimately bitch about this game shows that its like a microcosm of different people its like the world in a minimized version and you can see all of us argue and some of us smoke weed, and some of us work but most of you sit in your parents basement, and some of us bang, and some of us write lyrics about Halo to famous modern day songs, and some of us play Dota and they are called nerds, and some of us are banned and some of us lurk, and Tashi posts alot.

but all in all. We all think the game is a turdburgler.

So fix your stuff cause HaloGAF is life.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
HaloGAF, do you ever get the feeling that you've simply put too much time into the games and that's why the magic is wearing off? It seems to me as a regular lurker that it's all the most hardcore players that really dislike Halo 4. I play it every now and then and have fun with it but I've never been a crazy MP player, I usually play about 50 hours and then I've had my fill and that's been the same for all the games. But you guys seem to put hundreds of hours into it.

So is it any wonder you're getting fatigued with the game? You know it too well, all the changes stand out to you because this is what you do. But to more casual players it's just Halo still but with some welcome changes (I like global sprint and instant respawn for instance, the game is quicker for it and I enjoy that).

When I play it still gives me that 'fuck yeah Halo' feel.

I mean, is there really anything that 343 could do to fix the game, or has it just been ~10 years of playing essentially the same game and you're no longer the same person who fell in love with it and are tiring of the repitition?

Holy shit. In addition to possible footage Sunday we might get to hear new Marty music.

Hnnnnnng.
I think there's more than a chance.
The reason Doubles Pro was all rifles was to just give players the choice. Throwdown is a more competitive playlist and those settings have seen a lot of testing so they're fine tuned for BR Starts only. I had a problem with it before but I think until the weapons are balanced by 343, it's all good.

Just wait until you play it, it's good.

So the playlist specifically tailored towards competition only uses the most spready and inconsistent of the four starting rifles?

Competitive™

Tashi

So the playlist specifically tailored towards competition only uses the most spready and inconsistent of the four starting rifles?

Competitive™

Try it before you knock it bro. I get more consistent kills with the BR than the Carbine and Light Rifle too. I get 5 shots regularly with the BR.

edit: Kibbles, there was one tree we fixed for Doubles. I'm actually not sure which version is going into Throwdown.

edit2: Also, this playlist will change before its final version for when CSR launches. This is sort of a test playlist.

Try it before you knock it bro. I get more consistent kills with the BR than the Carbine and Light Rifle too. I get 5 shots regularly with the BR.

I've used the BR plenty, the only gun I have more kills with is the DMR. Doesn't change the fact that it's the most inconsistent starting rifle even though it's probably "better" than the Light Rifle and Carbine in most situations.

Who knows what the majority feels, or if I am in line with them, but I was hoping for Team Hardcore Throwdown to be a stripped down version of the game (including the original changes listed in the Waypoint forum post) that ideally had four loadouts for each of the four primary rifles. I didn't want Ghost's significant different than default/stripped down settings as the settings for the playlist.

Gordon

bahah I like you, even if you have dumb opinions sometimes :]

Team Sumo was the greatest thing to come out of Halo 3.
Man, I miss that gametype. Physics have just never been the same :(
And thanks - I generally sound like an idiot a lot more at 4:00 am lol

Truly.

The fact that everyone here never gets along on decisions but ultimately bitch about this game shows that its like a microcosm of different people its like the world in a minimized version and you can see all of us argue and some of us smoke weed, and some of us work but most of you sit in your parents basement, and some of us bang, and some of us write lyrics about Halo to famous modern day songs, and some of us play Dota and they are called nerds, and some of us are banned and some of us lurk, and Tashi posts alot.

Yeah, I think we're all ready for the end of the beta, and were kind of expecting/hoping that this TU would deliver that, at least to a degree. I suppose it is, but - well, we'll see.
More transparency would be really nice. I mean, laying out plans with disclaimers that some stuff might not happen wouldn't be so bad. Rough timeframe on when CA will have Forge finished, maybe. Perhaps some insight into the rotational playlist system, if there is a system. I wish somebody from the MM Systems team was like my personal friend and could just fill me in on what's happening.
Probably not feasible. They probably don't have a plan to share, beyond 'listen to feedback' and release before CoD, hence the convoluted mess this shipped as.

...your avatar...
Better? lol :p
Edit: For reference, it was this, for the sake of this post, but I'm changing it again.

Truly.

It should be mandatory. People would be a hell of a lot more chill around here, that's for sure.

HaloGAF, do you ever get the feeling that you've simply put too much time into the games and that's why the magic is wearing off? It seems to me as a regular lurker that it's all the most hardcore players that really dislike Halo 4. I play it every now and then and have fun with it but I've never been a crazy MP player, I usually play about 50 hours and then I've had my fill and that's been the same for all the games. But you guys seem to put hundreds of hours into it.

So is it any wonder you're getting fatigued with the game? You know it too well, all the changes stand out to you because this is what you do. But to more casual players it's just Halo still but with some welcome changes (I like global sprint and instant respawn for instance, the game is quicker for it and I enjoy that).

When I play it still gives me that 'fuck yeah Halo' feel.

I mean, is there really anything that 343 could do to fix the game, or has it just been ~10 years of playing essentially the same game and you're no longer the same person who fell in love with it and are tiring of the repitition?

Sophisticated tastes, etc. I'm probably more in this camp than anything, and I've been playing Halo since I was too young to even roll my own spliff. I grew up with the franchise. It is what I did. But, the past few years, I've noticed I've started becoming less and less interested in competitive pvp games (if I was ever interested at all outside of Halo), and more interested in full-on open world sandbox style games. I just want to be immersed in a world, and have cool shit happen around me based on stuff that I do, and I want to explore that world. I enjoy the hell out of Halo 4 when it comes to campaign and spops, but a lot of people here lament over a MM game that doesn't really exist in Halo 4 - I think the frustration stems from it being almost Halo. Couple that with the bugs and dropped features, and you have a fanbase that feels like they were ignored from the get-go, without even being allowed to have a chance. It was: no this is how it's gonna be, too bad. They're improving, but that stark contrast I think is what was so jarring at first to a lot of fans.

Personally, I would prefer the mainline trilogy take a few years rest. I still would love to see more Halo games, but I think exploring other types of experiences that are further from the core appeals to me way more than what we have now. It's such a rich universe, it deserves more than a yearly FPS with a depth and focus that is held so close by the fanbase that even in death, they will hold it still. 343 wants to do something like this, I know they do, but I don't think everyone wants that exploration to be done in the mainline games. Sure some do, some don't - but that expectation of consistency and excellence is probably what scares and challenges 343 the most. If you want to explore the universe, then make something else, something that is new. RPG? RTS? MMO? Third person tactical? Any of those would be beautiful, I think. I hope the next Halo title has nothing to do with the other games other than being in the Halo universe. That's why I cherish ODST and Reach (to a lesser extent) so much - they tried to go somewhere else with it, although I wish they had gone further (talking strictly about non-"competitive" stuff here). It's why I cherish SpOps, too. Perhaps the quality isn't up to exactly where I want it, but it's the ambition and principle of it that I want to encourage - this is more in the direction that I'd be ecstatic about them taking.

35jn2q.jpg

Then again... to somewhat paraphrase kyle: [the] game stinks, so there's that, too. :/

FYC

Banned
Happy birthday yo

Welp, my brothers Halo 2 disc refuses to work so I ordered another copy cheap off of Amazon. Wonder if I should play ODST or Reach in the meantime.

Happy birthday yo

Welp, my brothers Halo 2 disc refuses to work so I ordered another copy cheap off of Amazon. Wonder if I should play ODST or Reach in the meantime.

If you haven't played Halo 3, I'd wait on ODST, since it sort of takes place during Halo 2 and 3. Reach, though, has a pretty sweet campaign. Short, but sweet. Then again, exploring New Mombasa at night is pretty damn awesome, and I don't think anything in it really counts as a spoiler for 2 or 3.

Caja 117

Competitive™
Is only inconsistent if you try to use it cross maping, BR is the most balanced precision weapon for competitive play. But, yes, the problem is bungie and 343 gave the players the loadout option, so if the players dont get their favorite weapon as a starting loadout they are going to complain about it, whe should also ask for an AR loadout while we are at it, as is only fair to AR users.

These designs (which I believe were used in the terminals):

are so much better than what we ended up with in-game for the prometheans.
But there is a difference between them and the in-game prometheans. Those are the Forerunner prometheans and we fight the Human prometheans.

But I agree. The design is much more interesting. Maybe Halo 5?

Nebula

It was Bungies plan all along. Halo has been telling our subconcious to hate Halo and love more open world RPGesque games... Then BAM!

Destiny.

Blueblur1

I have no clue what you're talking about

Also, no red X's on the map really shows the flaws in map design and landmark creation.

Yep, map design is very lacking in Halo 4. Especially with maps like Vortex, Meltdown, and Complex. And because they didn't really design maps with specific encounters in mind (except maybe for Haven and Exile) they come off as boring and rote. They should have never tinkered with the concept of global ordnance; instead they should have designed and planned out maps with good ole' fashion weapon spawns. That would have ensured that they make conscious decisions to include landmarks and interesting sight lines and pathways while planning out the spawns and encounters.

Kevin Franklin at work

tumblr_lznlle0w9Q1qa2x5wo1_500.jpg

I like this version better.

Omni

But there is a difference between them and the in-game prometheans. Those are the Forerunner prometheans and we fight the Human prometheans.

But I agree. The design is much more interesting. Maybe Halo 5?

Yeah.

We won't see them in Halo 5, unless the Forerunner make a full return however. Those are actual Forerunner Prometheans before they composed themselves to counter the Flood threat.

Slight tangent. I've always thought that there's massive opportunity to make a Halo game/trilogy during the Forerunner - Flood war. The books prove that there's enough interest there to make it happen. It would give the franchise the breath of fresh air it desperately needs at this point - the only thing is though, 343i would probably need to start from scratch on everything.

Just playing as a Forerunner with unbelievable tech and vistas would be amazing... especially during the height of the Forerunner empire. and seeing it all crumble down could even be emotional if they had some good writers going at it.

Tashi

I've used the BR plenty, the only gun I have more kills with is the DMR. Doesn't change the fact that it's the most inconsistent starting rifle even though it's probably "better" than the Light Rifle and Carbine in most situations.

Who knows what the majority feels, or if I am in line with them, but I was hoping for Team Hardcore Throwdown to be a stripped down version of the game (including the original changes listed in the Waypoint forum post) that ideally had four loadouts for each of the four primary rifles. I didn't want Ghost's significant different than default/stripped down settings as the settings for the playlist.

Ehh I guess you're just better with Carbine and Light rifle. I struggle to regularly get kills in the minimum amount of shots with those guns. You have to aim higher with the light rifle so that throws me off and then the carbine just makes my aim go everywhere.

What were the original changes on the waypoint forum post? Let's go through and see what's still in there and what isn't.

NOKYARD

• Fixed issues with friendly fire against vehicles. If FF is disabled, damage / EMPs from friendly sources will no longer damage vehicles that are fully controlled by your team.
Serious question.

Now what do we do about the troll on our team who spends the entire game plowing us down with the Ghost? We couldn't retaliate but we could at least take his toys away with a PP/Plasma.

Does negating the damage go both ways? Will FF off now disable vehicle on player damage?

You married? Sounds like you're married.
Try some Infinity settings in the bedroom. Call in some ordnance drops. I recommend Thruster Pack or Speed Boost. Avoid Damage Boost, it's Valentine's Day after all.

And to add, why are so many people acting like Halo 2 was Bungie's last game? I would place good money that Destiny won't have a competitive based multiplayer.

This was with the leaked concept art,

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/27/bungie-confirms-leak-of-story-info-concept-art-for-destiny/

C'mon people, it's not going to happen. Those words are the anti-christ to competitive multiplayer nowadays. I'm sure Destiny is going to have a stellar campaign and fun multiplayer, but there's no need to hype ourselves for something that is very unlikely. We're not asking for a competitive multipalyer experience, we're asking for an out dated one. We're becoming the new Quake III fans.

Man, I just read through the past 5 pages or so and every one of your posts was a brief of fresh air. People are expecting Destiny to be the second coming of Halo 2 MP. It's not going to be.

I'm interested to see how the tweaked boltshot settings work in practice.

Madness

Serious question.

Now what do we do about the troll on our team who spends the entire game plowing us down with the Ghost? We couldn't retaliate but we could at least take his toys away with a PP/Plasma.

Does negating the damage go both ways? Will FF off now disable vehicle on player damage?

You married? Sounds like you're married.
Try some Infinity settings in the bedroom. Call in some ordnance drops. I recommend Thruster Pack or Speed Boost. Avoid Damage Boost, it's Valentine's Day after all.

You're right, but I haven't encountered many ghost betrayers and the times I do get betrayed is because I was out in the open. You have guys like u4ix though make videos about griefing people with the plasma pistol, guys who for some reason like to throw grenades if you beat them to tank etc. It's like a 90 percent positive for 10 percent trade-off now. No longer can you grief your own team.

It's just a sad fact of multiplayer I guess. Guys like fyrewulff or devs would know better, but how could they negate physical vehicle on player damage? I mean all that would happen is the ghost would then carry your player with momentum forward no?

Also, what kind of nerf is that to the boltshot? All they've done is make it kill about 5 feet less or so. It's still a pocket shotgun you start with at spawn and can kill basically anyone in CQC. Most of my kills with the boltshot were less than 5 feet I'd say.

Top Bottom