• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Caja 117

Man, I just read through the past 5 pages or so and every one of your posts was a brief of fresh air. People are expecting Destiny to be the second coming of Halo 2 MP. It's not going to be.

I'm interested to see how the tweaked boltshot settings work in practice.

The only way to really fix boltshot is by taking it out of the loadout options.

FyreWulff

Serious question.

Now what do we do about the troll on our team who spends the entire game plowing us down with the Ghost? We couldn't retaliate but we could at least take his toys away with a PP/Plasma.

Does negating the damage go both ways? Will FF off now disable vehicle on player damage?

You married? Sounds like you're married.
Try some Infinity settings in the bedroom. Call in some ordnance drops. I recommend Thruster Pack or Speed Boost. Avoid Damage Boost, it's Valentine's Day after all.

The way I read it, the EMP still occurs, there's just no damage at all now.

With that change, betrayal booting should definitely be put on everywhere, though. The only playlist that shouldn't have it on is Grifball.

So what you're saying is the community doesn't know what it wants and 343 definitely shouldn't listen to it.

Waypoint doesnt know what is best for a Halo game. meaning 343 shouldn't listen to them.

Um, not sure if it was clear enough but I was joking when I said the overwhelming majority of the community wanted flinch in Halo so 343 obliged them. I can't remember seeing a single post in the history of my time on Halo forums where somebody stated they wanted the flinch mechanic implemented in Halo.

I know those weapons are super OP. Does that mean they should never exist in the game under any circumstance? I don't believe so. Turn that shit off for things even close to competive but at least leave them in the game so that I can dick around in customs or something. Why get rid of it because it lacks a role in the competitive side of Halo?

This was the approach for the Sentinal Beam in Halo 3. It was available in customs but never saw the light of day in MM outside of maybe one crazy maption sack map. If you used it you knew why; the thing was overpowered - much like the binary rifle and incineration cannon are overpowered. They're in practically every list in mainstream MM though.

Read before you post ;)

Read before you post, bro

Maybe he did read before he posted? Perhaps he read from the official outlet for information regarding the upcoming throwdown playlist? If one goes to waypoint and reads that the upcoming competitive playlist has personal ordnance but it doesn't state that that ordnance is select AA's only should we really lambast people for coming on Gaf to bemoan those things? Not everyone has time to wade through forums to find an obscure post by Bravo.

Actually its hard light shield instead of jetpack

Hardlight Shield is worse than Jetpack imo. It's almost Armour Lock on wheels. Dislike both but I've raged at HLS more than Jetpack in Halo 4. Decent players using HLS can become incredibly annoying and frustrating.

its the most inconsistent Precision rifle in the game.

You're thinking of the non-hitscan light rifle mate.

It is just... Why even have 4 different primary precision rifles if they aren't balanced...

I thought Doubles Pro was a great sign. It had all 4 primary precision rifles.
I figured, "Hey! The DMR is a bit overpowered right now, but this might be a sign that they are going to rebalance the weapons in the upcoming title update!"

But, nope.

When you say balanced though what do you mean? If that means the original vision that people would use the BR up close and the DMR at range (instead of what we have now where the DMR dongs at all ranges) then that veers towards rock paper scissors and that's not appropriate for competitive play. How would you like to see the DMR balanced out of interest?

As for throwdown I'm happy that it's BR starts only, or more accurately, I'm happy that it's forced weapon starts to a single rifle. The first month or so of Halo 4 I switched between BR and DMR but eventually settled on DMR in all five loadouts which is a shame because I found BR battles to be more fun than DMR battles but unfortunately using the BR basically puts you at a disadvantage so it's out of the question.

I've wanted a BR only playlist in Halo 4 since launch if only to see if what I suspect - that the game without the DMR would be noticeably better - is true. The v2 option in throwdown will offer that opportunity. Now for a BR only BTB please!

Caja 117

When you say balanced though what do you mean? If that means the original vision that people would use the BR up close and the DMR at range (instead of what we have now where the DMR dongs at all ranges) then that veers towards rock paper scissors and that's not appropriate for competitive play. How would you like to see the DMR balanced out of interest?

As for throwdown I'm happy that it's BR starts only, or more accurately, I'm happy that it's forced weapon starts to a single rifle. The first month or so of Halo 4 I switched between BR and DMR but eventually settled on DMR in all five loadouts which is a shame because I found BR battles to be more fun than DMR battles but unfortunately using the BR basically puts you at a disadvantage so it's out of the question.

I've wanted a BR only playlist in Halo 4 since launch if only to see if what I suspect - that the game without the DMR would be noticeably better - is true. The v2 option in throwdown will offer that opportunity. Now for a BR only BTB please!

This is no true, at least for me it isnt, on encounters i have where me and my opponent fight on equal conditions in a close range situation, and my opponent has a DMR, i usually win the 1 v 1, where i only get killed when my opponent skills are clearly superior than myne. (or my connection is very laggy)

My use of BR and DMR is 80/20, lately even less, where i only use the DMR whem Im playing BTB and the other teams is just destroying us.

My working habit with the BR? Always avoid long range confrontations, but as a general rule i did this even having the ZB DMR on Reach.

Madness

The only way to "fix" Halo is to remove loadouts and sprint entirely among other things.

I'd say the first thing is to remove the randomness from the game first. Then you focus on the things that significantly change halo, i.e. custom loadouts, perks, armor abilities etc. I don't believe sprint will be removed EVER, especially since it's now a staple in almost every FPS.

The only way to fix Halo is a magic sauce known to naught.

There's no guarantee that making Halo 2 - 2 or Halo 3 - 2, those games in the Halo 4 engine would keep the same level of success those games did.

I'd say the first thing is to remove the randomness from the game first. Then you focus on the things that significantly change halo, i.e. custom loadouts, perks, armor abilities etc. I don't believe sprint will be removed EVER, especially since it's now a staple in almost every FPS.

Um, what? Perks, custom loadouts, and AAs are what's random.

no bullets hans

Neo Member
I actually did a little gasp when I read this.

Can anything beat the audio from this reveal though?

That announcement trailer still gives me goosebumps. I'd been a casual gamer for years, picking up last-gen consoles used and playing basically only Star Wars and Zelda games. I'd played Halo CE when it launched at a friend's house but didn't immediately get it (I just remember trying to drive a Warthog on Sidewinder, poorly) and then playing through a couple levels of Halo 2 one night at another friend's house.

I'd been playing KOTOR on an Xbox I picked up used after the 360 had already been out and was watching maybe season 2 or 3 of Red vs. Blue and I decided to go out and pick up a copy of Halo and got hooked. I finished Halo 2 shortly after that.

When that Halo 3 announcement came out, it was like a switch flicked on in my brain. I don't know that I've been that excited about a video game since I got my NES when I was a kid. It kicked my adulthood in the balls and I've been a useless pile of gaming garbage since 2007.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
They can make Halo 4 play almost as Halo 2 and people will find stuff to complain about.

Apparently. 343 is making big steps to "fix" what people thought was "broken" with Halo 4. They add rankings (albeit online) they add a competitive playlist made by Walshy and Bravo themselves that removes AAs, instant spawn, join in progress, etc etc, they add a TU that fixes heaps of things and helps further balance the game, and what do you see the next day?

"343 has no idea what they are doing"
"Kevin Franklin is a confused dog.jpg"
etc. etc.

At this point why don't you guys just stop playing? Or go LAN Halo 2, or play on PC if that's what you want Halo 4 to be.

Madness

Um, what? Perks, custom loadouts, and AAs are what's random.

Those are unequal starts. What's random is the fact I can get a killing spree and only get needlers or speed boosts while someone can get only 3 assists, one destroy vehicle assist because they hit a warthog two times before someone else killed it and get rocket launchers or binary rifles.

There is nothing "random" about a jetpack, nor is it random for some to have a carbine, others to have a DMR, it's just not equal starts. It comes down to rock, paper, scissors gameplay.

Sure you can argue that it's random because you don't know what the other person has till they use it and I agree.

Karl2177

They can make Halo 4 play almost as Halo 2 and people will find stuff to complain about.
Oh for fuck's sake.
Those are unequal starts. What's random is the fact I can get a killing spree and only get needlers or speed boosts while someone can get only 3 assists, one destroy vehicle assist because they hit a warthog two times before someone else killed it and get rocket launchers or binary rifles.

There is nothing "random" about a jetpack, nor is it random for some to have a carbine, others to have a DMR, it's just not equal starts. It comes down to rock, paper, scissors gameplay.

Sure you can argue that it's random because you don't know what the other person has till they use it and I agree.
... That is what random is. The other player could start with any one of seven starting weapons. They could start with one of eight AAs. It's pretty much the definition of random.

This is no true, at least for me it isnt, on encounters i have where me and my opponent fight on equal conditions in a close range situation, and my opponent has a DMR, i usually win the 1 v 1, where i only get killed when my opponent skills are clearly superior than myne. (or my connection is very laggy)

Of course a BR user can beat a DMR user up close but the DMR's aim assist at close range means that it's not difficult to stomp BR users. I do it all the time. The fact that it's very capable up close plus unrivaled at long range means it's the clear choice every time.

Halo needs its version of the wolf. Frankie should become the Wolf. Comes in here, assuages our fears, red x's are coming back, descoping returns etc

No talk of feasability, no 'if's'. The Wolf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojTKkfgvwvU&feature=player_detailpage#t=12s

The personal ordnance enabled simply refers to the AAs (thruster, hologram, hardlight) that can be found in v2. This should not be a shock to anyone, and it clearly states that this is for v2 - it is not playlist wide.

The alternate DMR-start settings will feature personal ordnance disabled.

thanks for clarification bravo. im slightly confused as to why that wasn't in the bulletin, but w/e

I wonder if you could balance the primary starting rifles just by making the kill times equal among each. That, and since the DMR isn't going anywhere, to give it a 2x scope and reduced aim assist. Hmmmm.

Tawpgun

Apparently. 343 is making big steps to "fix" what people thought was "broken" with Halo 4. They add rankings (albeit online) they add a competitive playlist made by Walshy and Bravo themselves that removes AAs, instant spawn, join in progress, etc etc, they add a TU that fixes heaps of things and helps further balance the game, and what do you see the next day?

etc. etc.

At this point why don't you guys just stop playing? Or go LAN Halo 2, or play on PC if that's what you want Halo 4 to be.
Well we know very little about the TU other than the supposed big ticket items.

What 343 is doing now is putting duct tape on the problems, not fixing them.

A TU that fixes an option for customs. Customs are still less customizable from a fun minigames perspective (rip infection).

The boltshot is now a slightly less powerful pocket shotgun, but still a pocket shotgun.

Ranks are a step in the right direction, shame you have to have a computer near you to figure out everyone's rank. Good luck finding that all out in the pre game.

A competitive playlist is the definition of a bandaid for halos problems. They're not bothering fixing the rest of the game, they're giving you a tiny morsel of good, fair, consistent Halo in a sea of fiesta bullshit.

It's kinda sad that I'm at very grateful there's at least one playlist I will like in the game i fell in love with. I wish i could like the whole game.

My favorite way to play Halo, BTB, is still a complete mess

Indeed. I just find it odd that they announce a very nice sounding competitive playlist that fixes most the issues folks had and somehow it's still shit. Just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not speaking to the quality of the playlist or any of the what-have-you surrounding Team Throwdown, but how can a playlist be competitive if it has personal ordnance?

Madness

Oh for fuck's sake.

... That is what random is. The other player could start with any one of seven starting weapons. They could start with one of eight AAs. It's pretty much the definition of random.

Semantics no? Sure it may seem random to the other player, but someone actively chose DMR, actively chose jetpack. I consider the random elements to be those completely out of ANY players hands i.e. personal/global ordnance etc. People can't choose to get an incineration cannon, a rocket launcher etc.

Let's just agree then that ordnance and loadouts/AA's/Perks need to go.

Havok

etc. etc.

The people you're referring to have already stopped playing Halo 4 for the most part, some of them for months now. They're not going to stop giving opinions on news that's being released. At this point you should probably be used to their posting style instead of using it to paint with a broader brush.

I guess you can ignore all those posts that detailed the fairly specific issues that some people (I don't happen to be one of them as I think it was largely good news, but hey, I get where they're coming from) have towards the TU and Throwdown details that have been released so far, but you probably couldn't throw in some sneer quotes or overgeneralizations then (y'know, despite the fact that one of the "big ticket items" is a literal bugfix, so yes, "fix" and "broken" are accurate), so that might not have been an option.

That stuff is just as obnoxious as the other extreme can be, same with the "oh, they just want Halo 2 HD" garbage.

Released

So the competitive playlist is going to involve spawning with a weapon that has random spread and the slowest kill time of any precision rifle in the series? Oh joy...

Caja 117

Of course a BR user can beat a DMR user up close but the DMR's aim assist at close range means that it's not difficult to stomp BR users. I do it all the time. The fact that it's very capable up close plus unrivaled at long range means it's the clear choice every time.

Halo needs its version of the wolf. Frankie should become the Wolf. Comes in here, assuages our fears, red x's are coming back, descoping returns etc

No talk of feasability, no 'if's'. The Wolf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojTKkfgvwvU&feature=player_detailpage#t=12s
You will stomp with any weapon at any range if your skills are superior than your opponent, but if both player are equally skilled, BR will go on top most of the time. Of course you can beat someone as good as you with the DmR at close range and your opponent using the BR, but is not going to happen with frequency. When this happens to me, i never blame the gun, i blame myself for not been good enough.

J10

Banned
thanks for clarification bravo. im slightly confused as to why that wasn't in the bulletin, but w/e

Same reason why the specialization descriptions in-game don't actually tell you what the specialization does, or why you can't see your team score after a team game, or why there are no red x's when a teammate dies, or why you can't see what playlist your friends are playing, why the active roster is buried in a sub menu, or why a summary of custom game settings aren't displayed on the custom lobby screen, or why browsing HaloWaypoint.com is a chore. Because having immediate access to the most relevant information is overrated.

Caja 117

I'm not speaking to the quality of the playlist or any of the what-have-you surrounding Team Throwdown, but how can a playlist be competitive if it has personal ordnance?
They are barely noticeable trough the game and have no real impact on the match, heck, most of the time i lasted 1 or more minutes without ordering the personal ordnance playing Gamebattles and most of the time i called it out to get that anoying display from my screen.

noomi

bah! picked this up on release day because of how awesome the reviews were and I still have not been able to play it, damn backlog is taking me forever. I don't want to be a grown up anymore :( no time for anything

Madness

You will stomp with any weapon at any range if your skills are superior than your opponent, but if both player are equally skilled, BR will go on top most of the time. Of course you can beat someone as good as you with the DmR at close range and your opponent using the BR, but is not going to happen with frequency. When this happens to me, i never blame the gun, i blame myself for not been good enough.

Uh no, while yes the BR is suited for mid-range combat, you don't factor in that most games are not 1v1 straight duels. The size of the maps, the spawns, teammates all factor into overall gameplay.

What this means is, rarely if ever is any BR user going to even get close enough to you on Valhalla to effectively negate the DMR's usefulness. Then you factor in things like the boltshot.

So I can pick off most BR users before they even get close, if it's not me, it'll be my 4+ teammates who spawn close by and also most likely have DMR's. If you somehow still manage to get the drop on me, I'll sprint away or hide and have my boltshot ready.

Add in flinch, and you can pretty much guarantee the DMR will down you before you even get close.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

So as soon as you add ordinance it becomes completely noncompetitive? Have they not tweaked the actual drops to fit the competitive community (serious question). It seems they've done 80-85% of what people were asking for in a competitive playlist. They even brought in outside help like a lot of people were calling for at launch.

The people you're referring to have already stopped playing Halo 4 for the most part, some of them for months now. They're not going to stop giving opinions on news that's being released. At this point you should probably be used to their posting style instead of using it to paint with a broader brush.

I guess you can ignore all those posts that detailed the fairly specific issues that some people (I don't happen to be one of them, but hey, I get where they're coming from) have towards the TU and Throwdown details that have been released so far, but you probably couldn't throw in some sneer quotes or overgeneralizations then (y'know, despite the fact that one of the "big ticket items" is a literal bugfix, so yes, "fix" and "broken" are accurate), so that might not have been an option.

That stuff is just as obnoxious as the other extreme can be.

Oh come on, don't generalize my replies in that kind of way. You know where I stand overall. It just bothers me that the minute 343 tries to work with the community and build any kind of goodwill by bringing in MLG pros and competitive gamers to make a playlist for those looking for something more competitive in Halo 4 a handful of the people that were clamoring for pros to intervene just write it off before even playing it.

I just think Halo 4 will never be Halo 2, or Halo 3, it's a new game. They can do tweaks like this to make playlists feel better to people who like the Halo 2 gameplay, but it's still going to have the Halo 4 flare.

I typically just brush it off anymore, just every once in a while it'll bug me. Today is one of those days. 343 announces a good amount of changes and people just write them off in the first hour. Oh well!

broony

etc. etc.

Totally. Reeks of spoilt children who need to go outside for a few hours.

Caja 117

Uh no, while yes the BR is suited for mid-range combat, you don't factor in that most games are not 1v1 straight duels. The size of the maps, the spawns, teammates all factor into overall gameplay.

What this means is, rarely if ever is any BR user going to even get close enough to you on Valhalla to effectively negate the DMR's usefulness. Then you factor in things like the boltshot.

So I can pick off most BR users before they even get close, if it's not me, it'll be my 4+ teammates who spawn close by and also most likely have DMR's. If you somehow still manage to get the drop on me, I'll sprint away or hide and have my boltshot ready.

Add in flinch, and you can pretty much guarantee the DMR will down you before you even get close.

Huh? We are talking about small sized maps.

XBLGamerhub UK - "We can confirm that XBLG will be featured on Halo Waypoint! We will keep you updated."

I'm assuming this isn't what the "Top Secret Project" they're referring to yesterday.

u4iX

Regardless of what you think or feel about Halo 4, I think we can all agree that it's a terrible thing for the franchise if people stop caring about Halo's future altogether.

Havok

Oh come on, don't generalize my replies in that kind of way. You know where I stand overall. It just bothers me that the minute 343 tries to work with the community and build any kind of goodwill by bringing in MLG pros and competitive gamers to make a playlist for those looking for something more competitive in Halo 4 a handful of the people that were clamoring for pros to intervene just write it off before even playing it.

I just think Halo 4 will never be Halo 2, or Halo 3, it's a new game. They can do tweaks like this to make playlists feel better to people who like the Halo 2 gameplay, but it's still going to have the Halo 4 flare.

I typically just brush it off anymore, just every once in a while it'll bug me. Today is one of those days. 343 announces a good amount of changes and people just write them off in the first hour. Oh well!
Totally, I get that - for the most part, I personally thought yesterday's news was largely a nice step in the right direction, but I just don't like how pages of actual nuance tend to get skimmed over and all that ends up sticking in someone's mind are the loudest dissenting opinions from folks who prooobably weren't going to change their minds at this point without radical overhauls. It's really not directed at you specifically, but there's been a lot of that in the last few months (see: every instance of that "oh, they just want Halo 2 HD, any change is unwelcome!" fallacy that's been uttered since November) and it's frustrating to see. You and I have no problems as far as I'm concerned, that just kind of bugs me when it happens.

Except for sneer quotes. I don't like them so much.

J10

Banned
Microsoft hiring popular Halo community members to champion questionable Halo 4 playlist settings and gameplay mechanics was supposed to pacify the community. LOL

Karl2177

Huh? We are talking about small sized maps.
Nonetheless, I could upload hundreds of films where there was a BR user at close to mid-range and I had a DMR and won. I'm a good player, but I'm nowhere near top tier and it occurs quite frequently. It's essentially the same argument Ozzy put up, that I put down quite frequently: it works in theory, but not in practice.

Caja 117

Sorry for double post
Nonetheless, I could upload hundreds of films where there was a BR user at close to mid-range and I had a DMR and won. I'm a good player, but I'm nowhere near top tier and it occurs quite frequently. It's essentially the same argument Ozzy put up, that I put down quite frequently: it works in theory, but not in practice.

If you won close range you are better, there is nothing more to it than that. I have beaten people using DMR at large range, that doesnt make the BR better, doesn't it?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Totally, I get that - for the most part, I personally thought yesterday's news was largely a nice step in the right direction, but I just don't like how pages of actual nuance tend to get skimmed over and all that ends up sticking in someone's mind are the loudest dissenting opinions from folks who prooobably weren't going to change their minds at this point without radical overhauls. It's really not directed at you specifically, but there's been a lot of that in the last few months (see: every instance of that "oh, they just want Halo 2 HD, any change is unwelcome!" fallacy that's been uttered since November) and it's frustrating to see. You and I have no problems as far as I'm concerned, that just kind of bugs me when it happens.

Except for sneer quotes. I don't like them so much.

I get you there. I try not to feed into that "sweeping statements" crowd because I think it's unfair to everyone, even those who I disagree completely with. I have no issues with anyone on HaloGaf, but I do have issues with how the opinions are shared at times. I'd assume a lot of folks here are the same way no matter which side they are on in regards to the game.

Overall Halo 4 is always going to be Halo 4. I think it's pretty awesome that 343 is at least attempting to carry on the Bungie legacy of being directly involved with the community and taking feedback from them to change the game or make certain playlists for certain groups of players. They could have just kicked Halo 4 out and moved on, but I know the folks there care more about the community and series than that.

Just kills me to see them take a big step in the right direction and then immediately have people shit all over it. I guess that's the nature of the industry, and the internet overall. I'm hoping they keep it up though, and keep tweaking the game to make the most people happy that they can. I like a lot of the base Halo 4 stuff but I also dislike a handful of the changes (as I've outlined before). There are a lot of folks here that have great ideas for tweaks to help the game, and it's good to see 343 is listening a bit.

Sorry for double post

If you won close range you are better, there is nothing more to it than that. I have beaten people using DMR at large range, that doesnt make the BR better, doesn't it?

What kind of backwards logic is this?

The DMR is more powerful at ANY range than the BR. If it wasn't id be picking a different loadout in Doubles Slayer.

Karl2177

Sorry for double post

Frequency is the point I'm making. My winning with the DMR happens so much more frequently than the BR.

Top Bottom