• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

IHaveIce

Banned
A perma for something like this.. after that many of quality posts .. well I won't get into a discussion over forum politics.

Over was a good one, was one of my favorites.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Looking forward to hopping on and playing some matches on these maps.

Soon enough.

Also, who's going to PAX East?

Ghazi

Count me in on the launch day, impulse Season Pass purchase with my standard edition. Though this pack looks good, I despise 2 of the Crimson maps.

Trey

Greetings! I wanted to get this out before everything gets (rightly) swamped by Destiny news. Almost a week ago on February 10th, my birthday, I was able to sit down for a couple of co-op games with Dan Miller of Bungie. Destiny is just around the corner, so I figured let me celebrate another milestone for Bungie withHalo 3: The best campaign of their last game series.

Exceedingly dope post, thanks for this.

Only the heaviest of the heavy Promethean classes is a bullet sponge and that's because he's essentially a stationary Hunter/turret. The Prometheans otherwise have much lower health, instead focusing on damage output and cunning as well as teamwork to be a challenge. Watchers can provide some pretty aggravating bonuses if not dispatched properly, but have their power sets so separated by class that it's more a matter of picking your battles wisely than throwing your controller out the window.

Not including larger sentinel-like minibosses (which, upon "death," could be used as vehicles), my Promethean listing would be something like:

Pawns. Weakest enemies.
Crawlers, at least three classes - an Alpha, a Beta, and a Revival class. Alphas are slightly more heavily-armored and lead packs, Betas are your bread-and-butter enemies. Revival units are pawns trying to make it to "the end of the board;" they're weak but incredibly agile and make beelines for sites of dead Knights. If they reach a digital corpse, they'll sacrifice themselves to bring it back.

Rooks. Between Crawlers and Knights in power.
Sentinel Minors use the Oscillator's primary fire. Sentinel Majors use the Oscillator's alt fire (a weaker Sentinel Beam that's deadly against unshielded targets, meaning you want to take these out immediately if you're caught shieldless). Sentinel Primes use the Sentinel Beam which is about as powerful as the SAW now, and are shielded.

Bishops. Support units incapable of damage.
Watchers come in a few varieties now and can't revive anything. They project different-colored beams onto targets so you know what bonus they provide. These include Damage Boost, Speed Boost, Overshield, and Active Camo. There are also the asshole Watcher Spotters, which will constantly try to stay near you emitting a loud noise (but doing no damage) to give your position away. If you kill a Watcher's Knight but leave the Watcher alive, it will work for you until killed or replaced.

Knights. Second-strongest units.
Knights come in a few varieties.
Lancers are jacks-of-all-trades specializing in Suppressors or Light Rifles.
Hackers will run around the battlefield composing equipment, disabling vehicles, and so on. They WILL attempt to shred you to bits if you get in their way, but clever movement can outsmart them into getting assassinated.
Snipers are the weakest Knights and will use either Light Rifles or dual Beam Rifles. They're different from Jackal Snipers because they're constantly finding new vantage points and can hang from surfaces like trees.
Grenadiers will spam the shit out of light explosive weapons and use unlimited grenades. They aren't meant to kill you so much as they are to disorient the shit out of you.
Heavies look similar to the original design for the Knights. They are the ONLY bullet sponge enemies, but are huge targets and barely move. They're more like mobile assault platforms similar to Hunters, but with more damage output and less Melee capability. They use two Nova Cannons (Promethean heavy weapons) mounted on their back; damaging them enough would cause them to drop one Cannon, which you could use to kill them much easier.

Queens.
Supplementary characters that don't engage in combat, instead aiding you or guiding you through levels. See Engineers or "Ambient Promethean Knights."

Kings. Mini-Bosses
Kings are "Relics," which are essentially legacy Promethean soldiers that survived in powered-up robot bodies, most likely awakened by Chief at some point. You'd generally fight them in one-on-one encounters save for a few Watchers or Sentinels. They'd have special combat roles such as relying on space martial arts or Jetpacking to spice encounters up a bit, but would likely only show up once or twice per mission if that.

Interesting but why go with the chess motif if you won't adhere to its hierarchy?

Kibbles

The middle dark one looks like it'll be a nice small map. Then again, these pics don't really show much of anything besides the awesome skylines.

Just dedicated some time to reading Dax's post.

Some great insight, really cool of Dan to do that.

Maps look real sexy. The last night time map was blackout right?

Rev3rb

Hey. I like your avatar.

Those pics are just the beginning. Lots of awesome info destined to drop this week.

fry.PNG

I found the three in game images for what the maps in the Majestic Map Pack look like in the lobby. I simply changed the name of the map in the images they have on the website to find them.

Landfall
8wxU1ul.png

Monolith
oyq5UeX.png

Skyline
Cwi1jDe.png

Landfall
Have some Halo ODST vibes, gotta run and hit like always

Monolith
its the Forerunner chapter when you have to destroy some antennas then 343i re-used it for Spartan Ops?

Skyline
Looks beatiful.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Were any of those 3 Majestic maps implied to be remakes, or was that the 3rd map pack?

Will be pissed if they pull a quick one on us and Monolith is actually Epitaph.

IHaveIce

Banned
Hey, what's going on guy?

I heard Tashi got an over or something...

Cool maps. I always wanted more futuristic human cityscape maps.
343 introduced Instant Respawn just so that Tashi can break the ceiling.. think about it.
Were any of those 3 Majestic maps implied to be remakes, or was that the 3rd map pack?

Will be pissed if they pull a quick one on us and Monolith is actually Epitaph.

Who in his right state of mind would want to remake Epitaph.. like seriously

Top Bottom