• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Woorloog

Banned
It's silly-looking in a vacuum, but you could say the same about anything in Halo 1. The important part is whether it works in the context of Halo 1, which it does.

I guess... but it is about the only thing in CE that i do find silly. In retrospect.
And disregarding obvious idiocy of some design, such as the Warthog (no seat belts, flips over easily, as far as military vehicles go it is completly insane). But the 'Hog looks damn cool. The marine armor is just... silly.

ElRenoRaven

I guess... but it is about the only thing in CE that i do find silly. In retrospect.
And disregarding obvious idiocy of some design, such as the Warthog (no seat belts, flips over easily, as far as military vehicles go it is completly insane). But the 'Hog looks damn cool. The marine armor is just... silly.

I agree. The hog just looked wicked in the original games. Marine armor I will admit did look pretty damn goofy in Halo 1 without a doubt. The rest of the game more then made up for it though. lol

Toa TAK

Banned
I agree. The hog just looked wicked in the original games. Marine armor I will admit did look pretty damn goofy in Halo 1 without a doubt. The rest of the game more then made up for it though. lol

It's funny how we had to two extremes in the game. Really silly Marine Armor, but really scary Flood models.

Speaking of character designs,anyone else hope they bring back the superior halo 2/3 master chief armor? It is so much better and more iconic looking.

Master_chief_with_2_SMGS.jpg

Woorloog

Banned

I remember that i did like the marine armor years ago, didn't think it silly. But in retrospect...
The Warthog did lose something in later iterations. In Halo 2 it was too... muted. In Halo 3 it looked great but it lacked something. Reach was the same. Halo 4's i like, it is interestingly changed yet the same and love the angry sound but it too lacks something the original had.

The same applies in gameplay feel to Ghosts, Wraiths (even if we couldn't play them), Banshees and Shades, if not their looks.
The Scorpion.. well, it has never felt really good IMO. Too OP (all), too slow (in 2). It is no fun to play with overpowered vehicle.

Speaking of character designs,anyone else hope they bring back the superior halo 2/3 master chief armor? It is so much better and more iconic looking.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070301201413/halo/images/d/d0/Master_chief_with_2_SMGS.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Irrelevant to me. Looks good but i like Halo 4's Chief armor a lot.

It is fun to remember thing across Halo games but... i don't look towards Halo's future. No more interest. Not a burnout, i just feel i've experienced all Halo there is, the future is only rehashing what we have, i fear.

Fuchsdh

I still like elements of the Marine armor, but overall I like the Halo 3 style most. The Halo 2 style was an unfortunate cross. Also I miss the eyepiece.

ElRenoRaven

It's funny how we had to two extremes in the game. Really silly Marine Armor, but really scary Flood models.

Yea. Even Masterchief went through iterations but the marines always had the same armor. Sometimes I wonder if it wasn't just a case of they ran out of time and didn't get around to redoing the marines.

willow ve

But it also couldn't be destroyed.... so that made up for the obvious idiocy of some design. Warthog launching was amazing. RIP in peace warthog launch.

ElRenoRaven

Master_chief_with_2_SMGS.jpg

Nah. I moved on so I honestly don't care what they do anymore but I without a doubt agree that the Halo 2 Masterchief armor was the best of them. Halo 3 had the same basic design but I didn't really care for the way they darkened the color so much.

Woorloog

Banned
Yea. Even Masterchief went through iterations but the marines always had the same armor. Sometimes I wonder if it wasn't just a case of they ran out of time and didn't get around to redoing the marines.

Quite possible. Wasn't Halo CE supposed to have some 30 missions at some point? Though maybe that was during pre-Xbox Halo days.
Anyway, as silly as the armor looks, i wouldn't really want to change it, i can't think of anything that would fit in place of it.
Reach models in CEA worked well though, with the rest of the art that is.

But it also couldn't be destroyed.... so that made up for the obvious idiocy of some design. Warthog launching was amazing. RIP in peace warthog launch.

I wasn't talking about is gameplay function and design, but how it compares to realistic designs. One can have realistic yet stylized.
As far as gameplay goes, i prefer destructible vehicles though ability to Warthog launchs would be nice.

ElRenoRaven

Quite possible. Wasn't Halo CE supposed to have some 30 missions at some point? Though maybe that was during pre-Xbox Halo days.
Anyway, as silly as the armor looks, i wouldn't really want to change it, i can't think of anything that would fit in place of it.
Reach models in CEA worked well though, with the rest of the art that is.

Yea. Looking back I can't picture another design really working with the look of the game at the time. Course that's because that's the only design we ever saw. I'm sure had they used another we'd say the same about it.

Tawpgun

Old armor was more simplistic, which is what made it more iconic.

RIP space diaper

The new armor has grown on me but I definitely prefer his old helmet. I rock that shit in game.

I like the chief in Halo 4,it's just the chest part i that i don't like and the shoulder pads popping out looking like it's floating. I like that the suit looks metallic vs in Halo 3 it looked like plastic for some reason.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I feel like a 343 fanboy tonight defending their artistic directions. I find H4 Cortana and Master Chief the best in the series.
H4 Chief has really grown on me.

I pretty much stopped noticing the huge difference in the helmet after the first cutscene.

It is what it is, and probably needed to happen to make Halo "theirs," but I really could care less about them going backwards. Halo 4 chief looks great and a natural evolution to me. Part of me knows Chief's old or even CE armor would look goofy as fuck with H4 LoD.

Woorloog

Banned
I like the chief in Halo 4,it's just the chest part i that i don't like and the shoulder pads popping out looking like it's floating. I like that the suit looks metallic vs in Halo 3 it looked like plastic for some reason.

The original Halo 3 Armor... that looked magnificent. I understand why Bungie changed, they said it was due to it looking bad in some lightings, the final armor looks fine everywhere but it lacks something the announcement trailer version had.

Note: only the texture was changed, and the real-time reflections were disabled (too hardware intensive).

HTupolev

I remember that i did like the marine armor years ago, didn't think it silly. But in retrospect...
Then are you sure you aren't just finding fault with the armor design by projecting it into your current perception of Halo? Like, if you reacclimated to Halo 1 by playing it a whole bunch, would you still take issue with it? (Assuming that you don't still regularly rock your original game disc.)

Note: only the texture was changed, and the real-time reflections were disabled (too hardware intensive).
Halo 1 will seemingly forever be the Halo king of real-time reflections.

willow ve

Worst line from memory:

This cave isn't a a natural formation.... someone built this.

Well you have to remember that at the time that dialog was done the cave looked more natural. So that was just kind of a slip resulting in some design changes.

That may be true, but it is still hilarious that she says that as you drive up to a giant metal plated hole in the side of a cliff that is so obviously an artificial cavern.

ElRenoRaven

old helmit is in?where?

You have to beat the game on Legendary to unlock a bastardized Mark 6. The helmet is classic but the rest not so much.

Worst line from memory:

Well you have to remember that at the time that dialog was done the cave looked more natural. So that was just kind of a slip resulting in some design changes.

Woorloog

Banned
Then are you sure you aren't just finding fault with the armor design by projecting it into your current perception of Halo? Like, if you reacclimated to Halo 1 by playing it a whole bunch, would you still take issue with it? (Assuming that you don't still regularly rock your original game disc.)

Yes, i find the armor design silly even when replaying the game. Sure, it fits Halo's aesthetic, but it doesn't stop the armor feeling silly, unfunctional. Halo has this "comicbook"-style, stylized but still realistic to some extent and the armor fits it well but... well, I don't know, i just find the armor kinda silly looking. I don't have issues with other Halo's details.
Well, maybe Reach marine's: Their shoulder armor are a tad bulky and not rounded enough, not seeminly protecting their arms. Basically the same issue as Halo CE marine armor, overbulky armor plates that are not very functional.

BTW, I never had the game on original Xbox. Got Xbox around Halo 2, and played that (without Live, local play was fun enough). Have had Halo PC since its release though. Also CEA on 360.

Other than finding Halo CE's gameplay a bit dated, and the fact i know the maps too well (hell, i could draw maps of them probably from my memory, same with Halo 2), and many maps repetitive nature due to lack of visual variety, i don't have any problems with Halo CE single player. Hell, i still feel awe upon seeing some places.

Toa TAK

Banned
Worst line from memory:

Just stop. My jaw drops in a stunned state every time I hear the line.

I found the "To war." line way too melodramatic if anything. Come on Staten.

As for the Master Chief. I think his armor ROCKS in Halo 4. It took time to get used to it at first when Halo 4 was first announced, but after seeing it throughout the game, I have to say, it looks great.

I do miss the Halo 2 version of the Mark IV, though. But I still have a super soft spot for the Mark V.

Mark V in 3 was pretty iconic, though.

ElRenoRaven

Just stop. My jaw drops in a stunned state every time I hear the line.

I found the "To war." line way too melodramatic if anything. Come on Staten.

As for the Master Chief. I think his armor ROCKS in Halo 4. It took time to get used to it at first when Halo 4 was first announced, but after seeing it throughout the game, I have to say, it looks great.

I do miss the Halo 2 version of the Mark IV, though. But I still have a super soft spot for the Mark V.

Mark V in 3 was pretty iconic, though.

Um halo 2 and Halo 3 armor were the same armor. Halo 1's was the Mark V. Halo 2 introduced the Mark VI and Halo 3 kept the Mark VI.

*Edit*

Haha beaten by seconds. lol

Woorloog

Banned
So good... Halo Wars nailed Halo's art, perfectly. And the music, different yet recognizably Halo...
Also equally cheesy, plothole riddled story :p

I'm aware. They do look a bit different, though. The leaner Mark VI in Halo 2, compared to the buff Mark VI in Halo 3.

The armor is still the same. I preferred Halo 3 version always, in Halo 2, the Chief's shoulders are just plain wrong.

Toa TAK

Banned
So good... Halo Wars nailed Halo's art, perfectly. And the music, different yet recognizably Halo...

The armor is still the same. I preferred Halo 3 version always, in Halo 2, the Chief's shoulders are just plain wrong.

I understand the armor is the same Mark VI, they just look different in each game.

I really should've made that clear in my post. >_<

And dude, Halo Wars was amazing! I truly believe that Ensemble put a lot of love into that game. It was a great game on it's own and one a Halo fan could appreciate.

Woorloog

Banned
I understand the armor is the same Mark IV, they just look different in each game.

I really should've made that clear in my post. >_<

Mark VI in 2 and 3, Mark V in CE (and Reach). Get the number right!

Sorry, OCD concerning getting small things right.

Halo Wars has Mark IV armor.
And Marathon had Mark IV Cyborg...

ElRenoRaven

Yea I agree. Halo Wars did get the art right without a doubt. I also agree the story was cheesy and plothole riddled without a doubt. The look though was spot on.

Toa TAK

Banned
Mark VI in 2 and 3, Mark V in CE (and Reach). Get the number right!

Sorry, OCD concerning getting small things right.

Halo Wars has Mark IV armor.
And Marathon had Mark IV Cyborg...

I'M JUST GOING TO TYPE NUMBERS FOR NOW ON.

Fuck. It doesn't help that I have fast pace music playing either.

Anyways..

I loved the Mark 4 armor in Halo Wars. Looked awesome, especially the helmet. Perfect precursor to the Mark 5.

Woorloog

Banned
I like Halsey. Now my fascination towards Catherine is dwindling, b'cuz of her current disability. I'm assuming she'll receive a prosthetic arm (like Kat's). Hopefully.

What's wrong with disability? Doesn't impact her character at all, other than she being mad at losing that arm. Maybe.
BTW, UNSC could've treated it, the Elites probably chopped it off because they don't know human physiology enough to mend it, not to mention them detesting surgery.

I'M JUST GOING TO TYPE NUMBERS FOR NOW ON.

Fuck. It doesn't help that I have fast pace music playing either.

Anyways..

I loved the Mark 4 armor in Halo Wars. Looked awesome, especially the helmet. Perfect precursor to the Mark 5.

Heh.

And yes. Also, Reach notes that Mark V helmet is basically IV helmet with new internal components. Love that continuity, even if Reach's Mark V looked bad. Mark V looked awesome in the original trailer, too bad the mere armor plate is not available in final, don't like the peak shader things.

EDIT you should use the proper markings. Numbers are cheating, and incorrect. Did i say something about OCD? :p

Toa TAK

Banned
Heh.

And yes. Also, Reach notes that Mark V helmet is basically IV helmet with new internal components. Love that continuity, even if Reach's Mark V looked bad. Mark V looked awesome in the original trailer, too bad the mere armor plate is not available in final, don't like the peak shader things.

I was just looking at the Beta again, today and at the armor. I do miss the little plate/shade over the visor.

Makes me miss the Mark V in Halo 4. I hope both versions of the Mark 5 come back.

Sai-kun

Banned
I think it's at the perfect volume for me. Wouldn't want it louder, but it definitely adds some drama.

Yeah, same here. It's not overbearing, but it does kind of put some (positive) pressure on me, especially the moment right when it starts playing.

yeeaaahhhh...it's there. And all it does is make me think I'm hearing footsteps if I don't have my headphones at a higher volume. IMO the announcer is plenty encouragement, leave the music out except match start and victory/defeat/tie.

lmao is it seriously there?

i swear to god that i've never heard it before.

Karl2177

lmao is it seriously there?

i swear to god that i've never heard it before.

It's bugged to hell. There have been games where I was carrying the flag in the first minute, and then it never stopped playing for the rest of the game. I guess it really wanted me to experience the intensity of being a flag runner for the entire fucking game. I'm all for its removal since that incident.

Top Bottom