• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

That was uncalled for.

Much like posting pictures without so much as a clue as to what they are? He is literally just posting the image with zero context. He has been asked far too often but always shies away from answering. Either hack the game, be proud of What you do and explain how you find this stuff or hack the game and keep it to yourself as a hobby best not revealed on Gaf. Beating around the bush is an absolute chore to see especially given how curious you get seeing the pictures.

Nowise10

Remember when you joined Halogaf and made good posts? Neither do I.

oY9MGNA.png

Much like posting pictures without so much as a clue as to what they are? He is literally just posting the image with zero context. He has been asked far too often but always shies away from answering. Either hack the game, be proud of What you do and explain how you find this stuff or hack the game and keep it to yourself as a hobby best not revealed on Gaf. Beating around the bush is an absolute chore to see especially given how curious you get seeing the pictures.

No where in the rules does it say I need to explain pictures of Halo. Dealwithit.png

Population was abysmal last night. So many people playing Infinity, leaving little to no quality matches in any other hopper. There were less than 1000 people playing Team Objective at 9:00pm. DLC hoppers were equally depressing. :-(

At least 1-site Extraction is pretty good. Now I understand the appeal that some of you guys were talking about early on.

I know this discussion has been broached before, but what other kind of spin offs would you guys like to see in the Halo Universe? We've already seen RTS with Halo Wars which was received fairly well, even though it really should have been a PC release.

I'd love for MS to make Halo into a PC/Xbox franchise, but unfortunately I don't really see that happening.

TheOddOne

Population was abysmal last night. So many people playing Infinity, leaving little to no quality matches in any other hopper. There were less than 1000 people playing Team Objective at 9:00pm. DLC hoppers were equally depressing. :-(

At least 1-site Extraction is pretty good. Now I understand the appeal that some of you guys were talking about early on.
Even the Fiesta playlists aint going over 10k. Yep, everybody moving on.

Fotos

Lowest population while the servers were up. When they were down a couple weeks ago the population was around 41,000. January 11th was the last time the pop. was over 100,000. It's just sad now.

Shadders

I know this discussion has been broached before, but what other kind of spin offs would you guys like to see in the Halo Universe? We've already seen RTS with Halo Wars which was received fairly well, even though it really should have been a PC release.

I'd love for MS to make Halo into a PC/Xbox franchise, but unfortunately I don't really see that happening.

Space strategy. Like Start Trek: Starfleet Commander.

This, but with Halo.

Even the Fiesta playlists aint going over 10k. Yep, everybody moving on.
This month and even into the next are going to be hell for Halo. So many good titles coming out. I know I'll be up to my neck in Bioshock, but may wait for Tomb Raider to go on sale. The new Gears looks fun, but don't remember when it's coming out. Plus I still have Walking Dead ep. 2-5 to finish.

RIP Halo, amirite?

I know this discussion has been broached before, but what other kind of spin offs would you guys like to see in the Halo Universe?
I would gladly pay my money for Spartan Ops monthly content that was more akin to ODST in theme and, more importantly, gameplay. Smarter enemies that properly scaled in difficulty depending on the size of your squad (or lack thereof), and didn't resort to insta-kill weapons to make the mode harder. Gimme scoring, gimme theater, gimme a wide variety of missions that don't resort in me watching the hand of my character touch a frakking button.

Or just bring back Firefight and actually support the fucking mode, instead of throwing shitty gametypes in a hopper and letting it die a painful, Fuel Rod-addled death.

Akai__

No where in the rules does it say I need to explain pictures of Halo. Dealwithit.png

Then you should read the rules again:

-Avoid general meme images/gifs, two word replies, or anything that can be construed as spam. Do you have something to say? It's not likely to be said via a meme image, unless it's original content or directly relevant to the thread. If Reggie says Nintendo's going third party, responding with notmyproblem.jpg may be tolerable, to a point, but it shouldn't be dominating the thread or replacing discussion. If it's been done already, leave it alone, or it'll become spam in that context.

Blueblur1

Saw a Halo 4 commercial on TV last night. It ended with that shot of the Chief and Spartan IVs walking toward the camera (from campaign) and quickly flashed text promoting the Majestic Map Pack. This is the first time I've seen commercial since launch. It seems like Microsoft is aware.

Sgt. Johnson: "Rule #1 is you do not talk about Halo: Fight Club!"
81248868_f57a719836.jpg

Fotos

Saw a Halo 4 commercial on TV last night. It ended with that shot of the Chief and Spartan IVs walking toward the camera (from campaign) and quickly flashed text promoting the Majestic Map Pack. This is the first time I've seen commercial since launch. It seems like Microsoft is aware.

I saw that commercial soooooo many times the week before Majestic. They really were supporting this map pack. Giving it to community members, live streams, commercials.

Kujo

Population was abysmal last night. So many people playing Infinity, leaving little to no quality matches in any other hopper. There were less than 1000 people playing Team Objective at 9:00pm. DLC hoppers were equally depressing.
There were 70 people in Team Objective in Australian peak time. 70 people.

KOTH people don't want to play Oddball and Team Reg
Team Reg people don't want to play KOTH and Oddball
Oddball people don't want to play Team Reg and KOTH

They should just rotate the playlists every 2 weeks or so and give them a weekly challenge each time.

Other than one game that, after JIP had its way, ended up with a total of 21 different players (in Majestic), we actually had some pretty good matches last night. 2-site extraction, especially on the larger maps, is just plain boring.

Surprisingly, Longbow 1-site 5v5 was somewhat decent. It could use a longer extraction time due to the size of the map though. It made the map play a fair bit differently. Instead of always holding the top or a base like in Dominion or BTB, the game played out as smaller, intensely fought skirmishes, but every time at a different part of the map. The center tunnel extraction point is quite difficult to convert though, with little risk to defenders, so that may be an issue. Surprisingly, Adrift played quite well for 1-site in the couple times we got it, however putting the initial sites on initial weapon spawns is kind of annoying for those that aren't trying to arm/convert.

Also, Monolith KOTH is still just plain awesome in my book.

TheOddOne

HaloGaf drama is delicious.
Shoutout to Annika Albrite.

This month and even into the next are going to be hell for Halo. So many good titles coming out. I know I'll be up to my neck in Bioshock, but may wait for Tomb Raider to go on sale. The new Gears looks fun, but don't remember when it's coming out. Plus I still have Walking Dead ep. 2-5 to finish.

RIP Halo, amirite?
Already have Tomb Raider ordered and Bioshock is an insta-buy. RIP Halo, indeed.

Blueblur1

BioShock is this month, huh? Fuck. I'll probably have to GameFly it to play it. Can't justify spending more money now that I have to move. I still have a bunch of DS and Vita games to play through too.

Akai__

What he's doing isn't spam. He's actually posting pictures of Halo, he just doesn't tell what they are about. There is a difference.

Really? What is the difference? Even if the pictures are Halo related, it wouldn't hurt to say something about them. Those pictures he posts are not self-explanatory at all, if they were, I wouldn't complain.

We have a winner who actually understands basic statements.

This is your come-back? Pick onto some foreigners language/grammar? You are not any better, then those XBL kids, which are doing the same, when they lose an arguement.

Edit:
So I could just post pictures of Halo rocks all the time without any semblance of reason? Sweet.

Exactly my point.

There were 70 people in Team Objective in Australian peak time. 70 people.

KOTH people don't want to play Oddball and Team Reg
Team Reg people don't want to play KOTH and Oddball
Oddball people don't want to play Team Reg and KOTH

They should just rotate the playlists every 2 weeks or so and give them a weekly challenge each time.
Unfortunately, I think this is the way to do it. There's no chance for a solo player like myself to have a good game with the way these numbers are heading. It's painfully obvious when you're playing against a team, and it's equally not fun getting stomped. A featured weekly playlist that's at the top of the list could go a fair way to promote people from stepping outside Infinity.

Also, Monolith KOTH is still just plain awesome in my book.
I have not been able to find my stride on this map, and it makes me dislike it a lot. I can't seem to land more than a couple of shots on anyone lest they run behind some cover, and I either have to abandon them to help a teammate or I get killed by getting frustrated and do something stupid like pursue them. As of now, it's my least favorite of the new maps.

NOKYARD

I had no idea. Still lame they have to shoehorn that in instead of having an actual explosion.
We asked if the damage and radius of the 'blast' could be greatly increased to cull the entire field when a goal was scored. This would eliminate the need for rounds in the 'Pro' game type and make the only difference between the two variants be Auto Pickup.

They looked into it, came back and told us that fixing it for Grifball in a TU would carry over into other variants since the effect would be tied to the Hill Marker objective and not the grif_goal label. It would kill everyone when Hills in KotH switched positions as well.

Shadders

Lowest population while the servers were up. When they were down a couple weeks ago the population was around 41,000. January 11th was the last time the pop. was over 100,000. It's just sad now.

Just looking at that graph.. Do you think their biggest mistake was releasing the week before COD?

People obviously left to play COD and never came back, could it have worked out better if they'd dropped a week after COD?

789shadow

Banned
Just looking at that graph.. Do you think their biggest mistake was releasing the week before COD?

People obviously left to play COD and never came back, could it have worked out better if they'd dropped a week after COD?
If they'd dropped a week after COD it would be a wasteland from the start.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

Probably not. COD is pretty much the biggest shooter at the moment. People would play it no matter what.

Akai__

What orznge did with "lol" was spamming. What nowise is doing isnt. And yea, if you want to post pictures of rocks, go for it. Doesnt matter to me lol.

Posting pictures, without context, even if they are Halo related, is way worse, than posting a "lol".

I have not been able to find my stride on this map, and it makes me dislike it a lot. I can't seem to land more than a couple of shots on anyone lest they run behind some cover, and I either have to abandon them to help a teammate or I get killed by getting frustrated and do something stupid like pursue them. As of now, it's my least favorite of the new maps.

The map requires you to actually consider your path to the next location (talking KOTH again). Every location on the map has multiple attack angles AND defensive angles. There are multiple hills that can be held from more than one verticle level. It brings back one of my favorite features of KOTH that has been missing from H4 until now: intense battles and sneaky hill contesting as a strategy to stop the other team from scoring.

As far as the map goes, just try to always be aware of the different ways you can expose yourself. There will be a bit of cat-and-mouse to some of the battles and the open (cliff) side strucure can be a potent power position in certain situations, but don't get frustrated just because you didn't/can't kill the person right away. By keeping them hurt, your helping to keep them out of the battle (at least to some extent) and that is big on this map.

Blueblur1

The age old Halo MM problem has returned; the majority of the population ump into the first playlist which also happens to be the easiest game type to comprehend, Team Slayer. As for Team Objective's low numbers, what it says to me is what was mentioned earlier: People who like a certain game type don't want to play another. Another possible cause for TO's population could be the current variety of playlists on offer. It's possible that the folks that would have jumped into TO are busy messing around with Snipers, Throwdown, Majestic DLC Team and FFA, and/or Grifball. Regardless, this kind of thing is going to happen as the overall population numbers drop.

Top Bottom