• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

IHaveIce

Banned
Would prefer Halo 4 with old maps and no loadouts/ordnance/sprint and a better population.

Nope even this would still leave some deep problems.

JIP I hate it, but you can't just disable it if the game stays the way it is.
The ingame UI
Shield recharge time
Heavy sandbox tweaking
Social/Ranked playlists -- you need a bigger population for it.

And even then it would just be the MP the whole game is not able to be saved.

I'm really sad that I helped 343 to get Halo 4 to be the most successful Halo game.

Blueblur1

k5eqh0U.jpg

look at dat ui

Another case of you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone. :(

Great use of that image. I laughed.

Nope even this would still leave some deep problems.

JIP I hate it, but you can't just disable it if the game stays the way it is.
The ingame UI
Shield recharge time
Heavy sandbox tweaking
Social/Ranked playlists -- you need a bigger population for it.

And even then it would just be the MP the whole game is not able to be saved.

I'm really sad that I helped 343 to get Halo 4 to be the most successful Halo game

Wow.

their effort is obvious and their success is deserved. Whether you agree with their changes is a separate discussion to whether it stands up as a game. If you changed the art and made it into Killzone, it would blow every other killzone away. The quality of Halo 4 as a package should not be in a doubt.

People need to remember that 99% of the halo fanbase doesn't give two fucks about the things you mentioned above.... just a very small minority that are passionate and very vocal online.

IHaveIce

Banned
Wow.

their effort is obvious and their success is deserved. Whether you agree with their changes is a separate discussion to whether it stands up as a game. If you changed the art and made it into Killzone, it would blow every other killzone away. The quality of Halo 4 as a package should not be in a doubt.

People need to remember that 99% of the halo fanbase doesn't give two fucks about the things you mentioned above.... just a very small minority that are passionate and very vocal online.
You mean I stated only my opinion? Thanks for the heads up I thought I spoke for every human on earth?

I don't want it to blow Killzone away, why should it it should compete against itself and other Halo games and also the campaign doesn't stand a chance against Halo 3 or Reach except the visuals.

And I grant them success I'm only sad that I was a part of it because I'm not happy with the game except I'm drinking with friends.

The game needed more time to bring all the features in that are missing. Everything feels rushed, Ellis said how many things they planned for SpOps but didn't make it in.
Same for campaign scoring or theater, whole theater improvements.

But they said they are learning from it.. let us hope at least that is true

Madness

Wow.

Oh you mean the package that needed to explain it's story with OUTSIDE sources, the package that had many features that were cut, the package that didn't enable a lot of features for many months AFTER launch. Deny it all you want, but the game was rushed and many features were cut or not implemented.

See we all have opinions. Your comment about killzone is dumb. There are many out there that would prefer it over Halo 4. What kind of analogy is that though? You say if it was killzone it would blow all the others away. But it's not, it's, Halo. And it won't ever blow CE, 2, 3, and for some guys Reach, away.

And the numbers would tell you different. If 99% of the fanbase didn't care about these features or how the game plays, it would be much higher. With Reach and now Halo 4, the vocal minority is becoming the majority.

"I'm really sad that I helped 343 to get Halo 4 to be the most successful Halo game."

Really?

If yes, do you still own the game and play it?

I sense another yes coming.

Omni

I traded in Halo 4 the other day actually. Got $17.50 to put towards Tomb Raider.

Might pick up a used copy in the future if Spartan Ops season 2 is announced.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I traded in Halo 4 the other day actually. Got $17.50 to put towards Tomb Raider.

Might pick up a used copy in the future if Spartan Ops season 2 is announced.

So you traded it in for $17.50, but then might buy it back for most likely $20 used? Why didn't you just keep it in case? That strapped for cash?

Omni

So you traded it in for $17.50, but then might buy it back for most likely $20 used? Why didn't you just keep it in case? That strapped for cash?

Pretty much >_> Uni only started this week and I had to buy all my books leaving me rather poor. Plus wasn't getting much use out of the multiplayer anyway.

Let's say Armor Abilities got retooled extensively.

-Only Jump Jet (Double Jump) and Thruster remain.
-Sprint is disabled in favor of a high movement speed.
-You can simply tap down on the DPad to switch abilities.
-Both utilize the same distance and momentum - Double Jump just vertically and Thruster horizontally.
-Thruster receives a slight buff.
-Both have a readily apparent visual indicator when active to all players.

Would you guys mind those two showing up in competitive gametypes? Keep in mind Sprint would be available in custom games, and big team matches would be more class-based (with armor ability loadouts and sprint enabled by default).

Shadders

-Both utilize the same distance and momentum - Double Jump just vertically and Thruster horizontally.

Would you guys mind those two showing up in competitive gametypes? Keep in mind Sprint would be available in custom games, and big team matches would be more class-based (with armor ability loadouts and sprint enabled by default).

For me, it just wouldn't be Halo without camo Boltshot.

Madness

I wouldn't mind that because it fixes my problem of not being equal starts. For example, we all start with both abilities. For double jump, we see a burner glow near feet, for thruster we see a glow near chest/back. This let's others know what you have and so you can deal with it more readily.

I'd still prefer no abilities from start at all and making these things map pickups. I feel weapons and maps are the way to innovate halo game play, not perks, loadouts, etc.

For example, grenade launcher, rail gun, a map like anchor 9. That's how you switch up halo without changing the core of the game.

Siglemic is going to be at PAX. Maybe I'll go and get his autograph.

Sig would probably want yours seeing as how you contributed a lot to his speed runs by providing links and letting us know.

1. Remove AA's as persistent abilities.
  2. Introduce them as powerups/pickups like Unreal Tournament did so well (I seem to remember older Halos doing this to some fair success).
  3. Instantly better Halo for just about everyone.

1. Remove AA's as persistent abilities.
  2. Introduce them as powerups/pickups like Unreal Tournament did so well (I seem to remember older Halos doing this to some fair success).
  3. Instantly better Halo for just about everyone.

Double jump/thruster would be operating off the same "passive-aggressive ability" mechanics that I've established before, to be fair. Meaning you can have up to 15 seconds of sustained use of sonar/radar 25M/flashlight/VISR mode/reach night vision or up to 6 uses of double jump/thruster. I'd probably put the aggressive abilities as needing about 10-15 seconds to recharge (and they both feed off the same meter, meaning you can't do both consecutively) to prevent spamming. Once your meter's dead it won't recharge, either. You have to pick up an "AA Node" somewhere on the map - but there are never two spawned at once. The game automatically detects the players in the match, divides it by half, and allows that many locations for it to spawn.

Zoolader

Everybody running around with thruster and double-jump would get annoying quickly, much more so than sprint IMO. Just ditch spawning with A.A.'s, bring back a refreshed equipment model from Halo 3.

I would like to see equipment re-introduced in a future Halo title as so. They respawn on maps every 2 minutes or accordingly to their effectiveness.

Jet Pack- 15 seconds and it's fuel depleted.

Bubble Shield- 20 seconds and can be destroyed. Objective and Big Team games only

Hard Light Shield- 15 seconds, more appropriate for FFA games

Energy Drain- similar to the one in Halo 3

Medical Kit- 3 seconds, replaces regeneration field, operating animation and immobile while in use. Possible slight damage resistance momentarily after use, to beef it up.

Trip Mine- place mine similar to sticky detonator, use remote to detonate. Can attach to vehicles. Could bring back the Grenade Launcher pro-pipe without being redundant in the weapon sandbox.

Hologram- This one seems good as is.

Vehicle Wrench- ability to repair damaged vehicles.

Power Up (static spawn every 2-3 minutes)-

Camo
Overshield

Double jump/thruster would be operating off the same "passive-aggressive ability" mechanics that I've established before, to be fair. Meaning you can have up to 15 seconds of sustained use of sonar/radar 25M/flashlight/VISR mode/reach night vision or up to 6 uses of double jump/thruster. I'd probably put the aggressive abilities as needing about 10-15 seconds to recharge (and they both feed off the same meter, meaning you can't do both consecutively) to prevent spamming. Once your meter's dead it won't recharge, either. You have to pick up an "AA Node" somewhere on the map - but there are never two spawned at once. The game automatically detects the players in the match, divides it by half, and allows that many locations for it to spawn.
I like your thought process, but after playing two games with Armor Abilities, I would be a happy man if a return to previous gameplay. I don't like the guessing game that comes along with the lack of visual cues with who has what ability (and perks), and would prefer it if everyone started off with just base settings and had to battle over upgrades. I can totally see and appreciate the desire to add some sci-fi extras that could fall in line with the fiction of the universe, but to me persistent abilities are an example of "good on paper, bad in implementation".

Even my beloved Hologram. I would give it up in a second if it meant across-the-board return to equal footing starts.

Rev3rb, I prefer the Community-coined term "unpossible" ;-)

Hmm. I'm trying to think of this stuff just so that we could have more freedom in movement (think Brink or Crysis) but still keep it un-scripted. What if double jump/thruster operated on an incredibly low battery (requires a 30-second recharge), had blatant visual indicators (see the "Hardlight wings" for double jump), and took about 5 seconds to charge up after switching from one to the other, meaning you couldn't whip it out on the fly in the middle of a firefight?

fawaz

Banned
Just discovered team throw down. Awsome!

Getting my ass kicked, but still enjoying it. Going to play a lot more often now.

Halo Waypoint telling me to "Sign In" XBL for ages now. Why does this issue always happen?

So many problems with Halo these days :[ - Makes me worried for next gen and the problems unfamiliarity with new hardware may bring.

Tawpgun

Siglemic is going to be at PAX. Maybe I'll go and get his autograph.
Oh hell yes. Does he have a booth/panel or is he just visiting?

Halo 4 is gud, you guys are just jEllis.
It's a solid game as a standalone, better than most. But I'll be honest and say its the worst halo game launched because of 1. The design choices revolving around a loss of clarity and randomness.
2. It shipped as an inferior game feature and option wise than it's predecessor. I hope Halo 5 isn't setting its standards at 4. It should be trying to LEAP forward past Reach. Being on be Nextbox I don't think they have any excuse.

JHall

Wahrer, I love the enthusiasm.

But, AA's and sprint need to be removed from Halo multiplayer. Without out AA's and sprint they can focus on building quality maps which Halo has been lacking since Halo 2. Having to design maps are AA's and sprint really ruins the creative process.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Warher, I love the enthusiasm.

But, AA's and sprint need to be removed from Halo multiplayer. Without out AA's and sprint they can focus on building quality maps which Halo has been lacking since Halo 2. Having to design maps are AA's and sprint really ruins the creative process.

Sprint stays. !

Top Bottom