• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Warher, I love the enthusiasm.

But, AA's and sprint need to be removed from Halo multiplayer. Without out AA's and sprint they can focus on building quality maps which Halo has been lacking since Halo 2. Having to design maps are AA's and sprint really ruins the creative process.

Alright, hear me out here.

Competitive Slayer has no AAs, no sprint, quake-level movement speed and jump height with minimal momentum.

Standard Slayer has three cycle-through-able AAs: sprint, thruster, and double jump. The armor abilities have high momentum similar to Reach.

BTB (Extraction, Invasion, Dominion, Slayer, Safe Havens) is class-based: everyone has high movement speed and sprint to compensate for gigantic next-gen maps. In addition to this, you're given a few armor abilities per "class" (which only determines armor ability, not your loadout weapons). Examples include Scout having thruster and jump jet, Chevalier having Hardlight Shield and Auto Turret, and so on.

I completely understand the map complaint - I specifically made some modifications in order to get us some Quake-style map options and wide open vistas for BTB. Why do you think I got rid of the DMR and reduced the aim assist range of the Light Rifle?

Tawpgun

I'll reason with you. You give me better animations, I'll let you remove sprint. Make me look like I'm at full sprint when pushing the stick all the way forward.

Include an option that when you hit the sprint button your spartan moves at the same speed but he moves his arms so it looks like he's running so those that want to be at a gameplay disadvantage at the expense of looking cool and immersive can be.

No, but seriously, I wish sprint never infected Halo, but its here and its gonna stay. The people love it. It's become a standard FPS staple. Anyone rallying or hoping for its removal is gonna be disappointed.

But now im not sure if I want the exit out of sprint to be faster or should you include the penalty for being caught in sprint?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Include an option that when you hit the sprint button your spartan moves at the same speed but he moves his arms so it looks like he's running so those that want to be at a gameplay disadvantage at the expense of looking cool and immersive can be.

No, but seriously, I wish sprint never infected Halo, but its here and its gonna stay. The people love it. It's become a standard FPS staple. Anyone rallying or hoping for its removal is gonna be disappointed.

But now im not sure if I want the exit out of sprint to be faster or should you include the penalty for being caught in sprint?

How would a better running animation be a disadvantage?

Madness

I'll reason with you. You give me better animations, I'll let you remove sprint. Make me look like I'm at full sprint when pushing the stick all the way forward.

I don't know why you post it over and over... Why would they add an animation to make it look like you are sprinting when the base speed hasn't changed and you are in fact not sprinting?

I get you apparently need to feel like you are sprinting, but why? We're not playing Usain Bolt's: Be A Legend sprint simulator. Were playing a first person shooter, and the last thing I want is my screen to shake and sway as if I'm running.

I think you're just too used to mirror's edge or something, I think you mentioned it was one of your fave games.

Sprint doesn't work in Halo.

HTupolev

How do you propose to "better" the running animation without drastically changing what the arms are doing (and thus introducing either discontinuities in switching between moving and shooting, or requiring a delay)? The legs are already basically running. They could perhaps use a slightly more aggressive-looking movement, which would be expected if we use faster base movement (i.e. Halo 1 legs).

Tawpgun

Well... unless you skip a bunch of animation frames and go from a running animation to shooting, then I guess not.

Do you just want the weapon to bob more? Because how is it gonna look if someone is moving at top speed and then starts firing?

The way I see it, Halo's movement has always been like Navy SEALS on steroids and in power armor. I watched Act of Valor the other day and the way they move is gun always up, aiming down their sights, and what equates to power walking. They move fast, but they don't run.

Spartans should be able to move at a very quick pace and keep their guns stable. Sprint messed with a lot of things.

Maps are made bigger.
There's this trade off between combat ability and speed. Instead of everyone being fast and combat ready you have to choose between the two. Some see it as more depth, I see it as uneeded complexity. But who cares. Sprint is here to stay. As are AA's. Shame.

Nebula

Why do 343 keep pushing the DMR. We finally get radar in Rumble Pro, which is fantastic, yet we still get the stupid DMR. Can't be bothered with that weapon. Nerf the damn thing. It's killing the sandbox.

JHall

Why do 343 keep pushing the DMR. We finally get radar in Rumble Pro, which is fantastic, yet we still get the stupid DMR. Can't be bothered with that weapon. Nerf the damn thing. It's killing the sandbox.

Reduce aim assist, give it a 2x scope, remove bloom, and give it a static reticule with a little spread similar to the CE pistol. Bam, just fixed the DMR for future titles. I like single shot over burst weapons.

Edit: Remove flinch and adding back descoping will also help.

Tawpgun

Seriously, just reduce its range by reducing its aim assist over distance. Thing stays in aim assist/red reticle mode for like the entire map. A scope reduction would do wonders as well.

Nebula

Reduce aim assist, give it a 2x scope, remove bloom, and give it a static reticule with a little spread similar to the CE pistol. Bam, just fixed the DMR for future titles. I like single shot over burst weapons.

I'm doing the LightRifle at the moment and it is rediculous when put in short and long range fights against the DMR. What damn roll is this weapon supposed to fill if the DMR does both better? Makes no sense.

I agree that the aim assist needs lowering, and the scope reduction should make it less impactful at range and give the LightRifle a place to shine.

IHaveIce

Banned
"I'm really sad that I helped 343 to get Halo 4 to be the most successful Halo game."

Really?

If yes, do you still own the game and play it?

I sense another yes coming.
Yes, I never sell or trade in my games and I play it occassionally with friends.

But both factors are in no relation to what I said. Even if my answerwould be "no" I would already have paid for it, so why not use the thing I payed for.

If I could travel back in time I could change it.

Deal, you get your animations for the looks, we get base speed for gameplay.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Hot!
C3AEE118-2C40-4C71-A0A8-04A8483E5B4D-3587-000002FB80256BB9.jpg

I don't know why you post it over and over... Why would they add an animation to make it look like you are sprinting when the base speed hasn't changed and you are in fact not sprinting?

I get you apparently need to feel like you are sprinting, but why? We're not playing Usain Bolt's: Be A Legend sprint simulator. Were playing a first person shooter, and the last thing I want is my screen to shake and sway as if I'm running.

I think you're just too used to mirror's edge or something, I think you mentioned it was one of your fave games.

Sprint doesn't work in Halo.

Why exactly doesn't Sprint work in Halo? Is it the fact that it tends to slow down the base movement speed? The increase of "double melee" tactics? The addition of stopping power changed the dynamics a bit with sprint, fixing some issues while introducing others. Or are there other reasons I'm not aware of?

Caja 117

Yes, I never sell or trade in my games and I play it occassionally with friends.

If I could travel back in time I could change it.

If i could travel back in time, i wouldn't waste it on that, ill rather travel way back, make myself one of MS main decisions maker, and make sure stuff like AA, perks and other stuff never touch the franchise.

Why exactly doesn't Sprint work in Halo? Is it the fact that it tends to slow down the base movement speed? The increase of "double melee" tactics? The addition of stopping power changed the dynamics a bit with sprint, fixing some issues while introducing others. Or are there other reasons I'm not aware of?
I think map design suffers with the introduction of sprint personally. Suddenly everything has to be larger to accommodate people zipping across it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Seriously, just reduce its range by reducing its aim assist over distance. Thing stays in aim assist/red reticle mode for like the entire map. A scope reduction would do wonders as well.
This is probably the only DMR nerf ever suggested that I agree with.

Madness

First and foremost, it changes map design. Maps have to be larger, structures have to be longer, it completely changes the way the game is played. Play a faithful recreation of The Pit or Guardian or Midship with Sprint, you'll notice it right away.

Then, it takes away from gunplay. What were once key battles, are just games of cat and mouse or hide and seek. Instead of having a gun duel, the weaker player will just run away and force you to come after him. Or you won't come close either. For example, on Valhalla, I've clearly outduelled someone, and right before the killing blow, he decides to run away and hide. Now a lot of people did that without sprint, but with sprint, it's a guaranteed get out of jail free card. Player movement is slower, so that I have little hope of catching up to a guy sprinting. He out runs shots, grenades etc.

All the reasons you listed are vital too. I don't know, I'll try to go into more detail later. If you want to make the game faster, increase movement speed, increase strafe speed.

Since we're talking about movement animations, can we also get a power-walking animation, or at least a "not sure if I have to fart or shit, where is the nearest bathroom" animation.

kthnx

I think map design suffers with the introduction of sprint personally. Suddenly everything has to be larger to accommodate people zipping across it.

First and foremost, it changes map design. Maps have to be larger, structures have to be longer, it completely changes the way the game is played. Play a faithful recreation of The Pit or Guardian or Midship with Sprint, you'll notice it right away.

Then, it takes away from gunplay. What were once key battles, are just games of cat and mouse or hide and seek. Instead of having a gun duel, the weaker player will just run away and force you to come after him. Or you won't come close either. For example, on Valhalla, I've clearly outduelled someone, and right before the killing blow, he decides to run away and hide. Now a lot of people did that without sprint, but with sprint, it's a guaranteed get out of jail free card. Player movement is slower, so that I have little hope of catching up to a guy sprinting. He out runs shots, grenades etc.

All the reasons you listed are vital too. I don't know, I'll try to go into more detail later. If you want to make the game faster, increase movement speed, increase strafe speed.

Interesting. I agree with the map design tending towards larger, thus making weapons like the DMR significantly more powerful. Although I'd argue everybody starting with sprint doesn't break maps anywhere as much as jetpack.

That is a really good point about the cat and mouse aspect. Maybe Halo's slower kill times compared to military shooters just plain doesn't play nicely with sprint. Especially with sandbox's focus on that final headshot with a precision weapon.

Gordon

This is probably the only DMR nerf ever suggested that I agree with.
What about "stop putting it in the loadouts for [almost] every gametype"

I want them to take the Throwdown V2 gametypes and give them the three non-DMR loadouts from Doubles Pro and normal radar. Then call it 'Infinity+' and run it in TS.

Mabef

Banned
That is a really good point about the cat and mouse aspect. Maybe Halo's slower kill times compared to military shooters just plain doesn't play nicely with sprint. Especially with sandbox's focus on that final headshot with a precision weapon.
I think that's a good way to put it. On a smaller note, I really hate the 'feel' of coming out of sprint to shoot someone in H4. It's so soft and ambiguous and bleh.

Does anyone else remember when the old Halo 3 trailer came out and people started freaking out about Master Chief sprinting?
After the bubble shield

OverHeat

« generous god »
So why are you posting this picture ? Nothing against you, that's just a question, because it seems to be the same picture shared by the Destiny Page on Facebook.
Exactly where I took the picture. I posted it because it remind me of halo ;)

That's a pretty fucking awesome looking helmet. Why couldn't we have something like that instead of all the ugly-ass Spartan helmets.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What about "stop putting it in the loadouts for [almost] every gametype"

I want them to take the Throwdown V2 gametypes and give them the three non-DMR loadouts from Doubles Pro and normal radar. Then call it 'Infinity+' and run it in TS.
That's not a solution for the entire game.

Alchemical

Neo Member

One thing Madness didn't mention - which I think is key here - is how Sprint forgives bad player position / map movement. So much of the latter is down to good decision-making, map awareness, team co-ordination etc. and Sprint effectively offers you an option to 'undo' bad decisions in this regard, so to speak.

All one has to do to really grasp how this detrimentally impacts gameplay is to imagine watching a game of 4v4 Slayer on a Halo 3 map like Citadel, from an overhead perspective.

What you've essentially got is a fairly simplistic, dynamic algorithm of each player either moving in certain directions or staying still. A simple ebb and flow. Something that is actually fairly easy to unconsciously learn and then use to your advantage, allowing for greater levels of predictability, only excepted / contravened on an individual skill level.

(i.e. Individual decision-making, based on out-thinking the opponent by using the model of systematic predictability, projecting what they think you'll do but doing something different.)

Once you factor the Sprint mechanic into such a game, it immediately brings in a huge host of variables which are almost incalculable (or certainly so during a game, just using your brain!), thus reducing systematic predictability.

Citadel is a good example, just because of its size; even on the most rudimentary level, it's easy to imagine how Sprint can effectively nullify the value of good callouts / communication, due to the added variables in terms of varying movement speed.

Tell that to the people who had the regional luck to get the Locus helmet. :-|

I wanted that helmet so bad, Only the Dead eye helmet made it to mexico.

I really, REALLY hate retailer exclusive shit. It's a horrible practice that can die a painful death any minute now.

Well most of preorder helmets can be obtained later in the game except for the Dead eye and Locust, still 343i promotes those helmets via maps packs screenshots like a slap in your face.

I really loved using the Oceanic Armor early.

Top Bottom