• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
So now that Infinity Slayer playlists have been deemed by 343 to be more mainstream and are ranked by individual stats, does that mean we'll see the Infinity gametypes removed from the more competitive playlists like Doubles and Throwdown?

Prepare for that one Fronk!

So now that Infinity Slayer playlists have been deemed by 343 to be more mainstream and are ranked by individual stats, does that mean we'll see the Infinity gametypes removed from the more competitive playlists like Doubles and Throwdown?

Prepare for that one Fronk!

I think the whole individual and team rating is dumb. Its pretty friggen confusing, and since its not in-game noone is going to know which playlist is which unless they actively seek it out. Its just too much confusion...

Tashi

I think the whole individual and team rating is dumb. Its pretty friggen confusing, and since its not in-game noone is going to know which playlist is which unless they actively seek it out. Its just too much confusion...

I think it's actually a pretty elegant solution. It an acknowledgment of which playlists are casual and which are more competitive.

FyreWulff

Looking at it, it seems individual is pretty much Reach (individual performance) and pretty much in Slayer or Slayer-heavy lists

team is in objective heavy lists, aka lists that were never possible to have arena rankings in Reach because it'd be too easy to killgrind the rating up

Which makes sense, I think

Still don't understand why Actionsack must have a CSR rating though

matthieuC

We hate party chats, but we all use them when playing games

And the world keeps on spinning
IMO 343 should just disable party chat for more competitive playlists in the future.

Party chat is awesome if all of your friends are playing different games, and you still want to socialize.

Draw them at least and include light descriptions about flow and what you're going for.

Will do.

Thats cool, I think I might read that one, I remember just skipping over a few of your posts because I dont care about your imagined up sandbox of madeup halo weapons. I guess I just dont get the point of it. Still think you should give us an idea of your writeup and a link to it in a blog though. Mainly cause you'd have all your stuff in one spot and not scattered throughout these OT's, but also for user friendliness on the OT's so people dont have to scroll past 15 images everytime they reload the page.

Very interested in map design stuff though, especially if its not creatively bankrupt like every Halo 4 map.

I'm trying to be a Concept Artist out in that general Redmond/Seattle area once I've served my 4 years in the Air Force.

I'll try and fashion a blog together this weekend. In the meantime, some helpful links:

Project: Halysis complete megapost (info on vehicles)

Project: Halysis GAF Post (Thumbnails and weapon/UI info)

Megapost for Archangel, a made-up 8v8 map set in an ONI research facility

This isn't a formal megapost, it's just brainstorming since I don't have access to my digital art stuff right now. Here's some ideas for one of the 5 16v16 maps, currently dev-named Subterfuge. It's meant to somewhat resemble what a Forerunner prison might look like. As far as map flow, it contains:
  • The aesthetics, canyons and four-way intersections of Infinity
  • The overall shape and horizontal side passageways of Blood Gulch
  • The ledge-based sightlines and elaborate interior sections of Danger Canyon
  • The "trench run" playspaces and fluid structure-to-ground geography of Containment

uFDQYP7l.jpg

Pardon my shitty sense of symmetricality. The map is by all means symmetrical. The diagonal scanlines in either corner represent unplayable areas in the map and the little water wave things indicate bodies of water (just shallow rivers vertically dividing the map and pouring into the center).

The main Base is similar in scale to some of the areas you run around in on Apex, the Spartan Ops mission. It's basically a giant beam tower.

The Highway Base is a bit like a thicker radio tower mixed with a Covenant Spire; there's a lone lift to shoot you up to the top and an outer railway/rim you can stand on. This rim has a mancannon shooting straight in to the Mall. The highways form a vague ellipse just big enough to let a mech walk through, and they have actual, physical support pillars trailing down to the ground below.

Both ledges are too steep to climb, but have pretty big curving paths up the bluffs for vehicles and infantry to come through. The Ledge Base looks something like a big Forerunner Taser, and has an air pad at the top housing a Sylph (see Halysis megapost for details). A Sylph is a small Forerunner fighter jet with EMP cannons.

After you scale the bluffs, you can get to either Ledge. The Ledge pretty much drops off right into the Mall as well. The "Minibase" is actually about the size and shape of a Valhalla base.

It's worth noting that, similar to the mission Halo (CE), the Ledge Bases actually have simple underground tunnels big enough for vehicles to get through that come out at both the other side of the Ledge and the Minibase.

zXyjNBjl.jpg

The center point of the map is the "Mall," a large Forerunner structure with multi-tiered interior and exterior playspaces. Four large guard towers are coming out of the top. I haven't gotten an exact layout for the Mall yet, but think Damnation meets Prisoner, just symmetrical. If they needed more maps they could seal off the Mall and use it as a 4v4 map.

On the very bottom level there are four bridges; two are light bridges, which are thinner and turn on and off at set intervals. Similar to Damnation or Waterworks, underneath the bridges is a pool of water (which the rivers feed into) that'll kill you if you fall. The main bridges are mostly ultra-dense space glass, which also shows up in the form of a circular platform for the Stratus.

640px-Strato-Sentinel.png

The Stratus, mentioned in the Halysis megapost, is a miniaturized Strato-Sentinel with some basic modifications to make it pilotable. It's the Forerunner counterpart to the Mantis. A lone Oracle Spotlight (think Cold Storage) points its floodlight at the Stratus.

HbCRTTGl.jpg

Looking at it, it seems individual is pretty much Reach (individual performance) and pretty much in Slayer or Slayer-heavy lists

team is in objective heavy lists, aka lists that were never possible to have arena rankings in Reach because it'd be too easy to killgrind the rating up

Which makes sense, I think

Still don't understand why Actionsack must have a CSR rating though

It sounds like it was easiest to implement CSR into every playlist. However trueskill is already running on all playlists behind the scenes anyways? So now trueskill is no longer used and CSR will be matching players behind the scenes for every playlist? Or is it exactly the same but CSR is a waypoint-visual rating of trueskill, and its just going to read out the trueskill in a number format and not change MM decisions at all. If so are all playlists trueskilll being reset when the TU adds in CSR?

Yes I really think CSR just should have been implemented into IS, TT and TD's. IMO.

Tashi

Just went 30 and 0 against some guests in Doubles. Remove guests, tighten up the True Skill on level 3.

Just had a game of 30 and 1.

Ghazi

See now I'm scared to actually try to have fun in Grifball and Action Sack because I'll be ranked on competitiveness. I only go into those playlists to kill my K/D (looking at you, hostball) or to screw around, and now I'll have a publicly viewable ranking of my skill level. As much as I want it, I'd rather only have it in the competitive playlists. I'm actually going to stop playing Grifball completely if it affects my overall CSR because I lose often in it, but get lots of kill/protecting the ball carrier. Soooo yeah.

See now I'm scared to actually try to have fun in Grifball and Action Sack because I'll be ranked on competitiveness. I only go into those playlists to kill my K/D (looking at you, hostball) or to screw around, and now I'll have a publicly viewable ranking of my skill level. As much as I want it, I'd rather only have it in the competitive playlists. I'm actually going to stop playing Grifball completely if it affects my overall CSR because I lose often in it, but get lots of kill/protecting the ball carrier. Soooo yeah.

YOU'RE IN LUCK

it's not like people have mics to talk shit + i guarantee that most of the people playing in those playlists won't even know ranks exist.

Ghazi

YOU'RE IN LUCK
lol, All the kids nowadays have iPhones in their pockets and computers at their sides. So even if it won't be easy to check I'm sure I'll still be bothered about it in my overall CSR. I just don't want it to bring down my overall CSR because it'll make hitting 50 so much harder than it already is because I love Action Sack and Grifball a lot :(

it's not like people have mics to talk shit + i guarantee that most of the people playing in those playlists won't even know ranks exist.
Yeah! That's pretty true, but like I said earlier the people who do know about it and have mics in Throwdown will probably be bothered by it. The talking shit doesn't bother me, I also don't want assholes quitting just because they see someone with a low overall CSR. I could care less about my CSR in those playlists, I just don't want it bringing down my overall CSR

IHaveIce

Banned
If you can't take the heat....

use the fucking mute button.

I love Party chat but I hate what it did.

Encounters like this were the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW2LkQc1V7I

HAhaha fantastic, had something like this last week in throwdown.

There wassomeone on my team with a really highpitched voice asking the whole fucking time if anyonewants to speak russian with him, everytime he asked another teammate answered "No shut up"

This was going on for 5 minutes.

Also who wants to run some team for next week?

heckfu

Banned
Lol what are they supposed to do to get the word out? You can't blame them for players being willfully ignorant and skipping the messages.

I know it's really just people progressing through menus until they find a game, but every time I hear the "pressing A to play" thing I just picture some dude on amphetamines pressing A as fast and hard as he can, that crazy look in his eyes, whining and sobbing until the actual gameplay starts.

JackHerer

Just beat iGotUrPistola in a random matchup in throwdown :)

The only positive thing in having such a low population: getting matched up with pros fairly often.

DeadNames

Banned
I know it's really just people progressing through menus until they find a game, but every time I hear the "pressing A to play" thing I just picture some dude on amphetamines pressing A as fast and hard as he can, that crazy look in his eyes, whining and sobbing until the actual gameplay starts.

averagecodplayer.png

darthbob

Show CSR in the game.

Agreed, but alas, it seems as though this won't occur, and even if it did, it would be 'too little, too late'. The playerbase has moved on for the most part, and it's important for 343 to realize this and instead of trying to win back players with Map Packs, they need to communicate their goals and plans better to players, as well as listening to the community. I don't mean HaloGAF, I mean Microsoft's so-called 'Halo Nation', and it seems to me, that they've failed in that.

I just want SpOps S2

CyReN

Problem with the ranks now is the population probably won't rise that much (if at all). I really hope this isn't a "test" for future Halo titles with ranks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom