• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

BUSINESSMAN'S NOTE: a blockbuster translation convention means that a "competitive player" is anyone who plays the multiplayer component of the game. Expect plenty of "uh, yeah, well, um, we definitely-really want to definitely keep the competitive crowd in mind as we work on multiplayer in future halo titles, and it's something we're really excited to see develop as time goes on. I think competitive halo is something to be really proud of, and I'm proud of us all working on it, and uh, I really think the hardcore veterans will be excited with what we have to offer next in 60 frames per second."

Cue about 20 pages of hype before everyone realizes he said fuckall about anything.

daedalius

I really want to see Halo experiment with mobility stuff like Titanfall. It could be so awesome. I've evangelized this a ton already, but Barrow Roll's idea of replacing sprint with something akin to the thruster pack would be great. Make it a little more powerful than the Halo 4 thruster pack, with a quicker cool down time. And increase the base movement speed on top of it.

I'm wary of things like double jumping. But I guess if it's an inherent ability, and maps are built around it, it could be cool. It strays too far away from the Halo I know and love, though, hah. But whatever happens, new mobility abilities need to be inherent, and not tied to loadout options or power ups. And maps need to built around them.

A thruster pack is way cooler than sprint ever can hope to be as well.

Nowise10

I really want to see Halo experiment with mobility stuff like Titanfall. It could be so awesome. I've evangelized this a ton already, but Barrow Roll's idea of replacing sprint with something akin to the thruster pack would be great. Make it a little more powerful than the Halo 4 thruster pack, with a quicker cool down time. And increase the base movement speed on top of it.

I'm wary of things like double jumping. But I guess if it's an inherent ability, and maps are built around it, it could be cool. It strays too far away from the Halo I know and love, though, hah. But whatever happens, new mobility abilities need to be inherent, and not tied to loadout options or power ups. And maps need to built around them.

This made me die inside on how terrible Halo would be if this were to happen. Thruster pack annoys me to no end, and you want to nerf it and make it even more useful and everyone spawns with it. And then you want to copy Titanfall with jumping based gameplay?

Bad kitty.

IHaveIce

Banned
Thruster pack as normal movement ability instead of sprint makes more sense in Halo.

The doublejumping on the other hand... not sure, from what I've played from Titanfall (4 matches) the gameplay is incredibly fast and the maps would need to be way bigger and with more interior.

Now on the stream from yesterday, it males no sense to not let them use their names, their explanation is bullshit.

The stream quality was awful, no 343 it isn't the fault of the venue's wifi, other streams from pax were running hd.

No commentary at all was a turn off, it was super boring.

Waiting time between matches... oh god this was worse than AGL.

Players who advanced are acceptable, but hell tsquared and ogre 2 are washed up, both made horrible gameplay mistakes.

Nowise10

Thruster pack as normal movement ability instead of sprint makes more sense in Halo.

This ability pisses me off (well, a lot of abilities piss me off, frankly) as it is incredibly frustrating to get a guy down to no shields, and he Thruster Packs just enough to get around a corner and then sprinting, allowing him to live. When the enemy is further away and they Thruster pack, it makes it incredibly hard to hit them, and they get away. It happens much to often and it just gets me pissed off.

I honestly despise abilities in Halo, and if Halo 5 goes the same exact way, which I am expecting, I have no faith in it being enjoyable after the 10th day of playing it or so. The idea of everyone spawning with a Thruster pack (which kittens suggested it to be nerfed and more powerful) alongside an armor ability honestly scares me.

Defect

I have a crazy idea guys. What if everyone starts out equally without sprint and there are abilities on the map. This might be a little too crazy though.

IHaveIce

Banned
I have a crazy idea guys. What if everyone starts out equally without sprint and there are abilities on the map. This might be a little too crazy though.

Of course everybody of us would prefer that, but they aren't backing down on that I bet ya.

TheOddOne

iigVF6pkPXUQZ.gif

I wonder how Halo would do if it replaced AAs with more active, aggressively-oriented map movement options (with recharge times), scrapped the DMR, and had one class based on each faction.

Spartan: BR / AR / 2x Frags / Parkour (wallrunning + ledge grabbing)
Elite: Carbine / CE Plasma Rifle / 2x Frags / Buffed Thruster
Knight: Light Rifle / fun Oscillator replacement / 2x Frags / Double Jump

You could always make a "Have you SEEN TitanFall bro?" gametype with all three options active.

BUSINESSMAN'S NOTE: a blockbuster translation convention means that a "competitive player" is anyone who plays the multiplayer component of the game. Expect plenty of "uh, yeah, well, um, we definitely-really want to definitely keep the competitive crowd in mind as we work on multiplayer in future halo titles, and it's something we're really excited to see develop as time goes on. I think competitive halo is something to be really proud of, and I'm proud of us all working on it, and uh, I really think the hardcore veterans will be excited with what we have to offer next in 60 frames per second."

Cue about 20 pages of hype before everyone realizes he said fuckall about anything.
My favorite thing is when he says something and we jump to conclusions and put it out of context and we go into meltdown mode.

Nebula

I'd love 343 to explain why they went the direction they did with Halo 4 despite Reach being widely disliked.

I would really, really like to know. It makes zero sense to have done it. It's like they couldn't think of anything themselves so they built on what Bungie left and then threw in some CoD for good measure.

It boggles my mind.

I'd also really love my stats, TrueSkill and CSR reset. I'd like to be able to drive the Mongoose without playing against 130s who deem it worthy of Plasma Pistol double sticky, Laser, Rockets, quad teaming or chasing half way across the map.

Being serious. A complete wipe of my Halo 4 stats, ranks and TrueSkill would be great for my Mongoosing.

TheOddOne

Played Halo 4 MP today. Found out that they replaced the Sniper with the Beam Rifle on Longbow.

Why do things I like change. I can't shoot through space trees anymore. No fun allowed.

NoFunAllowed.png

After watching those Titanfall vids from PAX, 343 is going to have to really step it up with Halo 5. Titanfall could easily take that sci-fi shooter crown away from Halo if 343 doesn't get it together.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
I'm sorry but to me it looks amazing. 10 times better then COD.

I think it depends upon the skill ceiling.

If its challenging to land shots, strafing is effective, advantages are earned in-game, movement around the map is promoted, the movement system is hard to master etc then it could be good.

Personally my money is on it being designed to appeal to casuals so I'm expecting very easy to use weapons, sluggish strafing, perks, general disorderly mayhem and a semi-automated movement system that doesn't require much skill.

Omni

Titanfall kinda looks interesting, I guess. I don't see the big deal personally.

I'm sure in 3-4 years we'll all be complaining about its yearly rehashes regardless

daedalius

This ability pisses me off (well, a lot of abilities piss me off, frankly) as it is incredibly frustrating to get a guy down to no shields, and he Thruster Packs just enough to get around a corner and then sprinting, allowing him to live. When the enemy is further away and they Thruster pack, it makes it incredibly hard to hit them, and they get away. It happens much to often and it just gets me pissed off.

I honestly despise abilities in Halo, and if Halo 5 goes the same exact way, which I am expecting, I have no faith in it being enjoyable after the 10th day of playing it or so. The idea of everyone spawning with a Thruster pack (which kittens suggested it to be nerfed and more powerful) alongside an armor ability honestly scares me.

Sounds like you should be less bad.

Thruster pack is literally like the least offensive of the shitty AAs there are.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I agree with replacing Sprint with an altered Thruster Pack (Spartans already have a thruster thing in their armour anyway).

Camo should be a powerup.

Jetpack should be only in customs (Dino Blasters!).

Everything else should be on-map pickups or customs.

The ability to choose your own primary and secondary weapons could be good in some playlists, though.

Perks should be customs only, or used as a global modifier in some playlists.

Nowise10

Sounds like you should be less bad.

Thruster pack is literally like the least offensive of the shitty AAs there are.

Wat. Thruster Pack is probably the best ability in the game. You can easy cut corners with it, dodge bullets, and get out of situations in 1V1's very easily, and disordinate players . I don't know what makes you think otherwise.

Why do you think so much "pro" players use it? Because It's so shitty?

Top Bottom