• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

kylej

Banned
Bravo and Walshy were both good. Curious to see what happens when H4 comes out and they don't know the game intimately. You saw/see it with Gandhi and Shockwave, both those dude's don't put the competitive hours in any more so they sometimes miss the finer details of what's going on in a match.

Booshka

Bravo and Walshy were both good. Curious to see what happens when H4 comes out and they don't know the game intimately. You saw/see it with Gandhi and Shockwave, both those dude's don't put the competitive hours in any more so they sometimes miss the finer details of what's going on in a match.
I think they will do fine and figure it out quickly. Walshy picks up on games quickly and Bravo has been a Coach for years, so he can learn the game just by watching it.

Astro A40s are good, right? Thinking about to buy them at PAX East. (Much cheaper in the states)

They are, but the real important thing is the mixamp, buy that then you can use a variety of headphones and get great results.

ElRenoRaven

Man I love opening up the equivalent of a time capsule. So I had the played the old myth games Bungie made but through the years but never had pristine copies of the games to keep in my collection. So I started the task of trying to find some pristine copies and found a copy of Myth: The Fallen Lords on Amazon that said it had the box and manual and all.

Boy was it not kidding. Box is in perfect shape. The manual is in perfect shape, it even includes the inserts that came with the game. Needless to say that was a steal for the 10 bucks I paid. I really wonder if we'll be able to ever do that with the original Halo games in as many years.

Anyway back to your talk of MLG. lol

CyReN

Astro A40s are good, right? Thinking about to buy them at PAX East. (Much cheaper in the states)

They are on sale sometimes too.

I would buy a extra mixamp to controller cord, those things have a 2 month life at best.

They barley played 11' rules Reach, last year was justa very very bad game and it showed. These new rules though, they make the game playable and fun once again. I'm sure Bravo will be the best in 13' with it again. Really hope Walshy stays around.

Man I love opening up the equivalent of a time capsule. So I had the played the old myth games Bungie made but through the years but never had pristine copies of the games to keep in my collection. So I started the task of trying to find some pristine copies and found a copy of Myth: The Fallen Lords on Amazon that said it had the box and manual and all.

Boy was it not kidding. Box is in perfect shape. The manual is in perfect shape, it even includes the inserts that came with the game. Needless to say that was a steal for the 10 bucks I paid. I really wonder if we'll be able to ever do that with the original Halo games in as many years.

Anyway back to your talk of MLG. lol

Speaking of time capsules, Pathways into Darkness was playable in a booth on the history of 3D gaming at GDC. Pretty neat.

doesn't matter question answered.

It's pretty much like this:

waiting in line waiting inline oh shit someone asked a question like mine time to go to the fallback waiting in line waiting in line oh shit someone asked something similar to the other backup waiting in line waiting in line i'm at the mic breathing breathing waiting for them to stop talking about the last question is my throat clear okay now i'm saying words and they're coming out in order yes this is working okay now get an answer they're talking still breathing okay sit down now

It'd have been really funny if you just started to furiously fart and salivate just to faint, you'd later wake up surrounded by your own urine and no questions answered.

wtf I'm bored :/

No Sprint and no bloom is a damn good game for MLG's settings and playstyle. Now they just need to get stuff like a good Sanctuary and get maps like Powerhouse King instead of Grey World, and their settings will be damn near perfect for what Reach has to offer.

Speaking of which, any word on MLG doing 'playlist gametypes' alongside the circuit gametypes for the upcoming playlist update?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It'd have been really funny if you just started to furiously fart and salivate just to faint, you'd later wake up surrounded by your own urine and no questions answered.
Do this next time you're at a gaming panel. We'll all have a good laugh and then pretend we don't know you.

Halo Wars is taking forever to download.

ElRenoRaven

Speaking of time capsules, Pathways into Darkness was playable in a booth on the history of 3D gaming at GDC. Pretty neat.

Oh that had to rock man. I haven't played that game in years. One of these days I'd love to see Bungie someday do some re-releases of all their old games.

kylej

Banned
No Sprint and no bloom is a damn good game for MLG's settings and playstyle. Now they just need to get stuff like a good Sanctuary and get maps like Powerhouse King instead of Grey World, and their settings will be damn near perfect for what Reach has to offer.

Speaking of which, any word on MLG doing 'playlist gametypes' alongside the circuit gametypes for the upcoming playlist update?

No sprint and no bloom is a damn good Halo game. Randomness does not mean fun, and it has sucked the lifeblood out of the franchise over the years, culminating in the bizarre randomized spawns of Reach matchmaking. No bloom, fixed spawn points, rock solid framerate, easily navigable and properly scaled maps that don't have superfluous "canonical" garbage in them, dedicated servers, robust modern map creator, BR/AR starts. Blammo, there's your Halo. Reach was a half-assed swing at COD and it fell flat on its face, and I don't think it's worth trying again.

If Bungie wasn't lazy as hell they would've implemented the ability to give Forge objects different colors but I guess three years wasn't enough time/not enough resources. It is weird seeing Beaver Creek after something like Nexus KOTH though, my eyes don't know what to make of the colors.

Grimbrother One and bs angel are on a community manager panel at PAX East. (Definitely going to that one.)

I'll be disappointed if the following questions don't get asked during the open mic portion:

"When will HBO get a front page?"
"Why doesn't Halo 4 have online multiplayer?"
"Why would you even put the battle rifle back in the game?"

Grimbrother One and bs angel are on a community manager panel at PAX East. (Definitely going to that one.)

I'll be disappointed if the following questions don't get asked during the open mic portion:

It would be hilarious if Louis Wu asked the first question. Unfortunately he won't be there this year I guess. :(

(Which one should I ask?)

Overdoziz

Banned
No sprint and no bloom is a damn good Halo game. Randomness does not mean fun, and it has sucked the lifeblood out of the franchise over the years, culminating in the bizarre randomized spawns of Reach matchmaking. No bloom, fixed spawn points, rock solid framerate, easily navigable and properly scaled maps that don't have superfluous "canonical" garbage in them, dedicated servers, robust modern map creator, BR/AR starts. Blammo, there's your Halo. Reach was a half-assed swing at COD and it fell flat on its face, and I don't think it's worth trying again.

If Bungie wasn't lazy as hell they would've implemented the ability to give Forge objects different colors but I guess three years wasn't enough time/not enough resources. It is weird seeing Beaver Creek after something like Nexus KOTH though, my eyes don't know what to make of the colors.
ihncxNOGv3l8n.gif

Overdoziz

Banned
I have to say, I'm not that good of a Halo player, but some/most of those headshots people were cheering for were pretty easy/ doable. Or does it just seem like that?
You also have to consider that they're getting them (mostly) on pro players. That's harder than trying to no-scope Elzar or something.

What time and day?

Redford

aka Cabbie
How do you all think Reach's sniper magnetism/hitboxes affects MLG?

Edit: like, more exciting for spectators (since I doubt some of the more amazing multikill no-scopes we've seen would be feasible(?) in H3). Just going off this discussion on spectator reaction to bland headshots.

Friday 8:30pm-9:30pm.

Nice.

Panel description said:
Online communities have become an extremely popular method of interaction for gamers, but with thousands of sites and millions of fans it is easy to feel like a single square tile in a enormous game of Tetris. While most people lurk, there are a handful of gamers who maneuver their way into leadership positions and become administrators for their favorite fan-site or even community managers for a game developer.

How does this happen? How do you go from lurker to leader?

Join community leaders as they have an open discussion about how they rose through the ranks, from being members of the community to leading it. Learn how you can follow in their footsteps and how community managers can engage their own fans to create the next generation of leaders.

Looks like a fantastic panel. I'll try my best to be there.

Booshka

Edit: like, more exciting for spectators (since I doubt some of the more amazing multikill no-scopes we've seen would be possible in H3).

No scopes have been less impressive in both Reach and Halo 3 because they are much easier compared to Halo CE and Halo 2. Halo 2's magnetism was insane, so you would see a lot of quick scopes and sweep sniping was very easy and effective. The quickscopes in H2 were pretty insane and entertaining, even if they were made possible mostly by magnetism. I remember Naded's insane 180 quickscope on Sanctuary like it was last weekend. Zoomed in Snipes are probably hardest in Halo CE and Halo 3, but no scoping is a lot harder in Halo CE. Reach sniping is much easier all around, Halo 2's magnetism may make zoomed sniping slightly easier than Reach, but the player movement/strafe and hitboxes makes it about even.

Hopefully the aiming mechanics of Halo 4 are more akin to Halo CE, along with the hitboxes and player movement, so that sniping and no scoping isn't so damn easy.

Booshka

Did not concider that. With that in mind there was still some excessive cheering in in my opinion.

Would you be the guy in the crowd that would stand up and say, "Calm down guys, it wasn't that good of a snipe, I do that in Matchmaking all the time."

*Crowd boos and throws shit at you until you sit the fuck down*

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
No scopes have been less impressive in both Reach and Halo 3 because they are much easier compared to Halo CE and Halo 2. Halo 2's magnetism was insane, so you would see a lot of quick scopes and sweep sniping was very easy and effective. The quickscopes in H2 were pretty insane and entertaining, even if they were made possible mostly by magnetism. I remember Naded's insane 180 quickscope on Sanctuary like it was last weekend. Zoomed in Snipes are probably hardest in Halo CE and Halo 3, but no scoping is a lot harder in Halo CE. Reach sniping is much easier all around, Halo 2's magnetism may make zoomed sniping slightly easier than Reach, but the player movement/strafe and hitboxes makes it about even.

Hopefully the aiming mechanics of Halo 4 are more akin to Halo CE, along with the hitboxes and player movement, so that sniping and no scoping isn't so damn easy.
Yea I know all that.

But my bad, I misread what he wrote. I thought he was saying how the MLG settings changed snipes in Reach.

Sorry.

CyReN

Did not concider that. With that in mind there was still some excessive cheering in in my opinion.

The competitive Halo crowd has been deprived of "good" Halo matches since November 10', this is the first real Halo event everyone enjoyed since the game got good settings and maps. Last year was a joke, the "black Tuesday" of MLG Halo. With that this was the biggest crowd of Halo since Halo 3 by far, nothing about the cheers where staged. I sat in the 2nd row most of the weekend and was surprised by the noise too and joined along.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Would you be the guy in the crowd that would stand up and say, "Calm down guys, it wasn't that good of a snipe, I do that in Matchmaking all the time."

*Crowd boos and throws shit at you until you sit the fuck down*

:lol'ing because I would be inclined to do this, I'm an asshole that way.

And no worries Tashi, my pre-edit sounded retarded after I read it again.

Edit: like, more exciting for spectators (since I doubt some of the more amazing multikill no-scopes we've seen would be feasible(?) in H3). Just going off this discussion on spectator reaction to bland headshots.

I certainly don't find it very exciting to watch sniper play. A lot of the shots seem hit and miss, like the game decides when it wants to let magnetism take over and when it doesnt. I have also noticed a lot more stand still sniping on Reach. Hopefully the dumbed down sniping will be removed for Halo 4.

Top Bottom