• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

789shadow

Banned
I hate maps where players flock to the middle like sheep -- and then get slaughtered. I'm not saying you're a sheep for liking the map, it's just that the map design makes player behavior so predictable. It's pretty awful.

Edit : I like the idea of the two level, overlapping pathways like that, and I'd like to see it done in a better map.

Like Asphalt?

Fuchsdh

Which one is Think Twice?

Its a diamond shape with ramps leading to an enclosed, two-level cross-shaped hallway where you can easily jump up and down.

I admit players do just run in without any thought, but I just really enjoy being able to evade and hunt people through the multi-level geometry. I'd love to see something like it in a regular Halo map, I can't think of anything that comes close.

Like Asphalt?
Asphalt is fun but it's multi-story approach is much more conventional. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, either--it has to be since it's a BTB map.

789shadow

Banned
Its a diamond shape with ramps leading to an enclosed, two-level cross-shaped hallway where you can easily jump up and down.

I admit players do just run in without any thought, but I just really enjoy being able to evade and hunt people through the multi-level geometry. I'd love to see something like it in a regular Halo map, I can't think of anything that comes close.

I camped in the center with the Hammer.

oh yeah. the movement on that map is so awkward

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Like Asphalt?
Yeah, not quite, for the reason Fuchsdh said above.

The only reason I like Asphalt is because I can EMP + blow up vehicles, one of my favorite things to do in Halo. Also, its straight hallways + overabundance of Ghosts = me getting tons of Armor Lock kills. Literally the only map I choose AL, haha.

Yeah, not quite, for the reason Fuchsdh said above.

The only reason I like Asphalt is because I can EMP + blow up vehicles, one of my favorite things to do in Halo. Also, its straight hallways + overabundance of Ghosts = me getting tons of Armor Lock kills. Literally the only map I choose AL, haha.

jSXbCIEJ3iPEA.jpg

Redford

aka Cabbie
The only thing it has in common with Epitaph is grey.

They both have two two-level hallways intersecting with eachother, as well as power weapons that don't suit it. My opinion though.

Honestly Epitaph was so confusing that I forget how it looked sometimes, so perhaps my comparison is a little off

Risen

Think Twice:

Completely balanced initial spawns
Symmetrical map with 4 bases mirroring one another connected by halls which create good re-spawns and flow
Middle providing interesting and dynamic interactions without the position being overpowered

Doesn't sound much like Epitaph to me...

Weapons available and radar impacts the map negatively, but the structure is well balanced for competitive game play.

Redford

aka Cabbie
If the middle passageways weren't so narrow, I probably wouldn't have a problem with it. Too much dropping down mid-1v1. I've never played it without AA's being present, which of course increases the shit factor of any map.

Think Twice:

Completely balanced initial spawns
Symmetrical map with 4 bases mirroring one another connected by halls which create good re-spawns and flow
Middle providing interesting and dynamic interactions without the position being overpowered

Doesn't sound much like Epitaph to me...

Weapons available and radar impacts the map negatively, but the structure is well balanced for competitive game play.

Map is shit.

Risen

LOL all you want O' Halo God... the spawns work better on that map than many of those offered, particularly a map like Pinnacle. They are typically relegated to the bases which offer 3 ways out, one of which has two options. It means those with good knowledge of spawns can still control them, without it being a Narrows type spawn trap with no options.

That's not to say spawns can't and won't get busted... that's a system issue, but the structure does allow the system to work better than many offerings.

Map is shit.

Well reasoned... oh wait.

FyreWulff

LOL all you want O' Halo God... the spawns work better on that map than many of those offered, particularly a map like Pinnacle. They are typically relegated to the bases which offer 3 ways out, one of which has two options. It means those with good knowledge of spawns can still control them, without it being a Narrows type spawn trap with no options.

That's not to say spawns can't and won't get busted... that's a system issue, but the structure does allow the system to work better than many offerings.

I'd prefer to play on Pinnacle. At least Pinnacle spawns me next to my teammates. Think Twice needs its spawns overhauled. I didn't even know they were that bad until me and Devo tried to play Team Doubles on it. Constantly spawned across the map from each other, the other team was spawned right next to or behind us.. blegh.

FyreWulff

Now that depends, doesn't it?

Well, Pinnacle's spawns are pretty horrible, but that's what happens when you try to make a wide open Halo 2 map work in a modern engine that has things like LOS spawn blocking.

edit: by the way, when 343 took over they added Pinnacle back to SWAT. Why? WHY? It at least works when you can't be killed in one shot, the spawncamping is horrendous on that map in that gametype.

Fuchsdh

Ok then, my Forging task is to make a not-shit version of Think Twice? :p

Or do y'all who hate it think that the hall dropdowns/jumpups ruin everything in a team game? (Obviously 1v1 it's a different matter.)

Well, Pinnacle's spawns are pretty horrible, but that's what happens when you try to make a wide open Halo 2 map work in a modern engine that has things like LOS spawn blocking.

I really want to find an Xbox and see if it was as easy to camp the teleporters in the original. These days if I get the map and my team doesn't really need me I just sit down by rocket spawn with the power weapon as a lure and just obliterate everyone who jumps down from the safety of behind the 'porter.

FyreWulff

Ok then, my Forging task is to make a not-shit version of Think Twice? :p

Or do y'all who hate it think that the hall dropdowns/jumpups ruin everything in a team game? (Obviously 1v1 it's a different matter.)

Did you make the map? It just needs some spawn work. I'll do a writeup once I get back from my vacation. I didn't have a problem with it construction-wise.

Risen

I didn't even know they were that bad until me and Devo tried to play Team Doubles on it. Constantly spawned across the map from each other, the other team was spawned right next to or behind us.. blegh.

That's as much a problem with how the system works with doubles than the map? To be clear I was speaking of the map in terms of 4v4...

That's not to say the spawn points couldn't be tweaked for doubles, but likely that would jack with 4's.

Top Bottom