• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

He makes some pretty good points. The biggest thing that stands out with this leak is the random whiting-out of a bunch of paragraphs. As if the leaker was just lazy and didn't want to alter all of the article. Also, the fact that they only scanned like 5 pages from the mag is pretty suspicious.

I really can't wait until this mag is out in the open for everyone. This all needs to be laid to rest.

How can it be fake? Where did the guy get the screens?

...lol

In the video, the guy believes that the images in magazine itself is the real deal, but the actual words are not; like they were photoshopped into the scans or something.

I honestly don't know what to think at this point.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
when everything that has been leaked sounds nothing like Halo, its perfectly fine to freak out imo

Sounds like Halo in 2012, but I can't really say, as all we've gotten is supposed Game Informer leaks. Can we all at least wait until we get a good amount of footage/info and explanations by 343 before diving off a cliff of despair? (mainly speaking of gaming side)

FL1Psyde

Neo Member
He makes some pretty good points. The biggest thing that stands out with this leak is the random whiting-out of a bunch of paragraphs. As if the leaker was just lazy and didn't want to alter all of the article. Also, the fact that they only scanned like 5 pages from the mag is pretty suspicious.

I really can't wait until this mag is out in the open for everyone. This all needs to be laid to rest.

agreed, looking forward to the magazine and the podcast, hoping that this is a fake but bracing for the worst

His argument is that he actually has the magazine but made the info up himself in some perfect troll.

Yeah, he makes convincing statements and calmed me down a little bit from the hour long rage this has induced. However, it must be really difficult to shop the text in that cleanly.

That's just the thing, if this stuff is true, I don't think Halo 4 will be very successful. Look what Bungie did with Reach, they stepped out of Halo's traditional boundaries, and from what I've been told/seen for myself, Halo 3 had a much higher population than Reach did/does.
Another facet of Reach to look at: it tried to satisfy hardcore and casual players, and in the end, the hardcore got shafted.

Ahh, I need that podcast soon. Or at least the actual copy of Game Informer. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Well the Halo 3 is way more popular than Reach is blown way out of the water. According to the infographic that Bungie just released at the end of their stats run, more matchmade games per month are played on Reach (263 million) compared to 3 and ODST (221 million). Of course, 3/ODST's monthly number has been dragged down since Reach came out, but still Halo 3 is not wildly more popular than Reach.

Here's the thing though, we basically knew based of the last info that perks and choosing your starting weapon and such was coming to Halo 4. Know some of those things aren't ideal, but is the core gameplay is great, most of us would be able to look past those facets of the game (At least I will to an extent). Unfortunately, things like random weapon drop placements are just simply unacceptable in my eyes, truly awful design choice.

Fracas

#fuckonami
His(the guy in the video) argument is that he actually has the magazine but made the info up himself in some perfect troll.

That's what I'm hoping. If this is a troll, it's the troll of the century. Pretty much everything that no one wants in a Halo is in that article.

His(the guy in the video) argument is that he actually has the magazine but made the info up himself in some perfect troll.

There's a scan with him holding the magazine in his lap, unaltered. The text is the exact same as the up-close pages with the whited out boxes.

Unless he forged the whole damn magazine, screenshots included...it's...

...jesus christ...it's real

Sounds like Halo in 2012, but I can't really say, as all we've gotten is supposed Game Informer leaks. Can we all at least wait until we get a good amount of footage/info and explanations by 343 before diving off a cliff of despair? (mainly speaking of gaming side)
Nope! If anything, it's too late to do that. I should have gotten to the Grand Canyon yesterday. :(

Ramirez

I can't believe some of you are actually holding on to the hope that it's fake, you're just setting yourself up for further disappointment.

Trey

How can it be fake? Where did the guy get the screens?

...lol

Nobody is disputing the screens. Merely the words. It's weird how there are scans of only six pages out of fourteen, and all the screens are general gameplay shots that don't at all show the nature of some of the more disliked features in action.

There's also all the white-outs.

Just really suspicious. Plausible, but I'm choosing to believe it misinformation until proven true beyond a shadow of a doubt. It's for my sanity, you see.

Hmm, if it was fake, I think Frank or someone at GI would have simply said so.

Yeah, this is the one thing that makes me nervous. Frankie neither confirmed or denied the scans, just told us there's nothing to worry about.

I can't believe some of you are actually holding on to the hope that it's fake, you're just setting yourself up for further disappointment.

Yeah, Frank already posted that there will be a podcast clarifying info/discussion it.

It is real.

If that info is legit, 343 is on track to make the most successful Halo title yet. Take what makes COD popular while providing playlists for the vocal minorities. Glad to hear it. Can't wait to play it.

Says the guy that enjoys MW3. :p

Seriously though, that game is terrible.

FL1Psyde

Neo Member
Yeah, he makes convincing statements and calmed me down a little bit from the hour long rage this has induced. However, it must be really difficult to shop the text in that cleanly.

haha same thing, Calmed me down big time, thats mainly the reason i posted it, figured if it calmed my nerves a little, it might do the same to some in here

FyreWulff

That was one of the two best pieces of news I've read so far. No more designing, balancing, animating, etc. a second type of player character for MP for marginal or no benefit. Each Halo game has had their share of with "if only they had...", and lots of "why did they bother...?" and Elites in MP has always been in the latter for me, likely impacting the former.

Elites in multi mostly resulted from Bungie's multiple attempts to get Invasion in the game, finally succeeding with Reach. They heavily reused Spartan and campaign animations anyway.

Which is why I've previously stated that it's confusing that Elites AREN'T in multi, because the magazine models of them show them as hunched again. The reason they were hunched over in Halo 2 and 3 was so their hitboxes would have parity with Spartans. Then Bungie went "fuck it" and made them function different (regen heath, tougher shields) and made them stand upright like they did in 1. Not sure why they'd have back problems if they don't need to have hitbox parity. A curiosity, not a complaint.

I wasn't really expecting Invasion to come back for various reasons, and playing as an Elite has been pretty marginalized in Reach already.. It's not a "oh, it's the end of the world" kind of thing for me, it's an "aw, that sucks" reaction. Having multiple playable species was something that felt like it was mostly unique to Halo in the modern arena shooter.

edit: i a verb

Fake or not, we will all disappointed anyway.
KuGsj.gif

The whole "it's fake" thing goes out the window when there's a picture of the magazine itself, IN HIS LAP, with the same words as the whited-out pages, talking about X for instant respawn and weapon drops and all other fun assorted shit. Unless he faked the whole magazine with the screenshots included...yeah

Just do what I do and listen to a song that makes you happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUvaBLHnRRk

ElRenoRaven

Yup. If it was 100 percent false someone would have said it's fake. No clarifying but just it's fake. There has been none of that.

Yeah, Frank already posted that there will be a podcast clarifying info/discussion it.

It is real.

Exactly. If it was fake then a simple fake would be fine. Not a we'll clarify it. That right there screams damage control 100 percent.

If I'm wrong about that and I pray to god I am then I'll gladly eat my words. But if I'm not then well.....

Fracas

#fuckonami
Yup. If it was 100 percent false someone would have said it's fake. No clarifying but just it's fake. There has been none of that.

Exactly. If it was fake then a simple fake would be fine. Not a we'll clarify it. That right there screams damage control 100 percent.

If I'm wrong about then and I pray to god I am then I'll gladly eat my words. But if I'm not then well.....

We'll play Reach til the end of time!

-shudder-
Hold me, HaloGAF.

FyreWulff

Fyre, you weren't buying anyway do why do you care?

The original reason why I wasn't going to was rectified. I have zero interest in multiplayer though, so I'm not going to spending any more money than I need to to be able to play campaign. Unless the Legendary Halo 4 comes with Reach 1.2 or if they have a green Halo 4 360s.

daedalius

If the article is 14 pages, why not post them all, and why the hell would you white out text?

Screens look amazing, but I'd really like to see the rest of the article...

I'm giving up for one night, staying up when we're obviously not going to get any sort of clarification until at least tuesday will only make me rage harder.

Goodnight HaloGAF, sleep well <3

Alright time to give a bit of my thoughts. Realize that until we find out more, and magazines are outlawed as a form to give people news about video games, the opinions here will probably change. This is just a gut impression based on the news today. I'll just cover the bullet points from the write up and a couple of other miscellaneous comments.
I think I agree with most of what you said.

Forerunner vision: It sounds very tacked on, like I don't even see how it fits in the Halo universe, let alone how it would fit in and make sense in matchmaking.

No Elites in matchmaking: I'm with Ghaleon on this one. I'm tired of resources spent on things that don't really contribute that much to the overall game. Give the elites their pink slip! And let's never see invasion ever again.

Firefight: The way it was implemented in Reach was bad. If it's not getting overhauled, I'd rather it be cut and resources spent in improving other parts of the game.

Random weapon spawns: It's a mixed bag for me. I despise power weapons enough in Halo these days that part of me is happy that players can't just run off to their crutch pew-pew weapons and instantly benefit. But for team play, this is going to remove the strategy involved for controlling them, which will definitely change the way the game is played. But the games continued focus on power weapon control since Halo2 has only increased up into Reach, which I'm sick of.

No respawn delay: Makes no sense outside of quirky playlists of which I'm not a fan. It was never an issue before, and removing it will only minimize and take away from out shooting an opponent, as others have already mentioned. Not sure what the thinking is behind this, but if true, there is definitely some thought and direction that we don't know about for Halo4.

Join-in-Progress: I can deal with quitters if a bit of power is given back to the individual player. Bloom+5 shot kills+AA's completely castrated the solo player's ability to defend/compete with multiple opponents. I'm all for team work, but the system in Reach sucked the life right out of you if you weren't with friends already. So in that light, I'm not really a fan of Join-in-progress, assuming some improvements over Reach's combat system. I liked Halo for standing outside of what other FPS games were doing. Also, I'd prefer to be able to see my stats against a set group. If people quit out of my game, at least it shows in the stats. Probably not as big of a deal as I'm making it out to be, but I think I'd still prefer no joining in progress.

This is true.

I mean if it is a fake, then it's hilarious. He made everyone bite, and I'd fly Dax out to the guy to give him Ghaleon's owed hand job.
I don't know what to think. It all seems so ridiculous given how much Frankie and Robert are in tune with the Halo community. Part of me keeps imagining this to be some kind of strange ARG specifically put on by 343 to completely throw everyone off. But that doesn't really make any sense either.

zap

They got Invasion into a Halo game in Reach. His definition is sound. He wasn't commenting on the value of the mode.

Yeah I know. I just struggle with anything where they use Invasion and success are in the same sentence :p

Fracas

#fuckonami
I don't know what to think. It all seems so ridiculous given how much Frankie and Robert are in tune with the Halo community. Part of me keeps imagining this to be some kind of strange ARG specifically put on by 343 to completely throw everyone off. But that doesn't really make any sense either.

One of the oddest things about the info are the names of the features. Forerunner Vision? Spartan Ops? Spartan Points? Sounds like a 5 year old named these things.

ElRenoRaven

One of the oddest things about the info are the names of the features. Forerunner Vision? Spartan Ops? Spartan Points? Sounds like a 5 year old named these things.

That's the one thing that is still giving me a very faint glimmer of hope. The names are utter shit. Like you said they sound like a 5 year old came up with these names.

Only thing I don't like is the instant respawns. I think if weapons are dropped like weapons in Firefight, weapon drops won't be that bad. Like as long as there is an indicator or something showing when it drops it will be alright.

MrBig

I agree, but why are Frankie and David not actively dispelling the information (and instead saying to wait for clarification, implying that the paraphrased articles have some merit), and meanwhile removing the images from the Waypoint forums?

But yet there are maps (recently confirmed that names are not final, but still) called Wraparound and Warhouse. :p

EDIT: Beaten.

Trey

I agree, but why are Frankie and David not actively dispelling the information (and instead saying to wait for clarification, implying that the paraphrased articles have some merit), and meanwhile removing the images from the Waypoint forums?

I wouldn't worry.

Top Bottom