• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

FyreWulff

I love the way Spartans move and animate in Halo 4. I really can't wait to see more of that in a few months.

It's jarring to go back to Halo 3 and notice all the Spartans and Elites are walking around like their spine has been fused. The Reach/4 animation systems where they actually have movement outside of their legs/arms is much more natural looking.

CyReN

They will get stuck in the textures.

Like in the back of Construct in Halo 3? Sucked when trying to nade back there and it would hit a crevice and wouldn't hit the guy top gold.

i3mx8.jpg

Still don't like the scope on the DMR or the cheese grater on the Spartan 4's face. Otherwise, I've grown on Chief's new armor and the BR was an instant hit.

Thats only the starting helmet, correct? Armor is going to be as if not more customize-able than Reach? I don't care for it either.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Like in the back of Construct in Halo 3? Sucked when trying to nade back there and it would hit a crevice and wouldn't hit the guy top gold.

http://i.imgur.com/i3mx8.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Never experienced that, ever. But then again I have bad aim so I probably missed the texture crack every time.

feel

I wonder if they're gonna try to explain how the red vs blue simulation works in the fiction? Are all the Spartans sitting cozy somewhere while controlling a fake avatar or are they actually running around? How do the fake objects and terrain feel real to the touch for them?

Chris Puckett?

"Oh terrible grenade there by Pistola--misses the triple kill--he just threw that nade right through the stairs, oh wait, my mistake we're actually onboard with Lunchbox, nope wait, I'm at my house taking a dump because MLG no longer features Halo on the circuit"

I meant unlock announcers like the firefight voices in Reach. Cortana voice, Black Box voice, Sargent Johnson voice. Could be cool.

GhaleonEB

It's jarring to go back to Halo 3 and notice all the Spartans and Elites are walking around like their spine has been fused. The Reach/4 animation systems where they actually have movement outside of their legs/arms is much more natural looking.

Bungie was very late to the motion capture party.

FL1Psyde

Neo Member

i3mx8.jpg

that was the worst, it always happened to me, was a perfect nade until it hits that crevice and goes nowhere

Ryaaan14

Banned
I wonder if they're gonna try to explain how the red vs blue simulation works in the fiction? Are all the Spartans sitting cozy somewhere while controlling a fake avatar or are they actually running around? How do the fake objects and terrain feel real to the touch for them?

Guessing it's like Tron.

Fracas

#fuckonami
What's the over/under on getting to the next |OT| before the bulletin?
I'm gonna have to start coming up with lame suggestions soon!

I'm not a Halo Fiction Veteran but a lot of the Forerunner tech involves hard light (like the light bridges in CE) so if the Infinity is some human/forerunner hybrid ship it might contain some of that stuff but with pretty textures painted on them.

Serious Issue #578: somewhere I saw a picture of a warthog with gas cans on the rear bumper. It looked like concept art, but I cannot be sure that the actual Halo 4 warthog will not have some kind of fusion coil built into the back of it unless FrankEllis clarifies the issue for me.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Sorry for bailing thezerofire, Ryaaaan and Vlad. Had to take the dog out.

It's cool, Vlad bailed too and Ryan went to play grifball, and so I'm playing Gotham City Impostors. If you want to play some more send me an invite

I feel kinda bad, I didn't know zero was from GAF, and I didn't know that was Plywood. I probably would have been more open to other games had I known. Oh well, noted.

GhaleonEB

Props for it looking amazing once they did it though.

The animations for movement in Reach are incredible. Can't wait to see 4 in motion some more.

Yup. Their animation finally made the generational leap the graphics did. Would have been nice a couple games earlier, but they hit it out of the park when they made the switch. It really puts the animation in previous games in a poor light (Halo 3 in particular looks amazingly dated in that department).

Overdoziz

Banned
Stairs have spaces in between them. I think Anchor 9 is similar. Pretty sure you can shoot and throw nades between those.
I imagine you can only shoot through the gaps, not actually throw grenades. Think it's like that only Anchor 9's stairs too, don't play that crappy map enough to be sure though.

All weapons can and will be available "normally" in the sandbox in Campaign and or MP - depending on game mode. "Unlock" and loadout info will come in the weeks and months ahead. But I wouldn't worry about it. Be like freaking out because you start with Snipers in Team Snipers.

So everyone has the AR load out and then you unlock the BR, Carbine, DMR, and finally Dual SMGs right?

Computron

Yup. Their animation finally made the generational leap the graphics did. Would have been nice a couple games earlier, but they hit it out of the park when they made the switch. It really puts the animation in previous games in a poor light (Halo 3 in particular looks amazingly dated in that department).

Have you seen Crysis 2's animation? If you haven't i'd highly recommend it. The troops really lean into their runs and a lot of the aliens have really interesting limbs and tentacles to animate.

Yeah, watching Halo 3 on stream earlier, looked like Halo 2 with some better textures. I give Reach a lot of shit, but the way players move is just great. The way their legs cross over when strafing, the way their body weight shifts when making a sudden change in direction. You can even see it in the brief glimpses in the Halo 4 trailer. That's the kind of upgrade visually that I think only increases the quality of the game, especially spectating.

So everyone has the AR load out and then you unlock the BR, Carbine, DMR, and finally Dual SMGs right?

Dual Needlers

DP, but MAN some dudes on Waypoint are soooo salty about no Elites in multiplayer. One guy is like, "Fuck it, I got other games to play". Cancelling pre-orders over character skins in FPS games, aint this some shit.

Personally, I'm glad they're gone. Time/resources spent towards other important stuff, no more of these dudes with their hunched backs and wack hitboxes.

senador

Banned

It was more than that though. They finally added detail for more things like that too, outside of mo-cap. Did you see the presentation they put out on stuff like that? I'll see if I can find it. The stuff they did for movement (walk, run, sprint, slow walk) is awesome.

Edit: Here it is. "The Animation of Halo: Reach" on this page.

Personally, I'm glad they're gone. Time/resources spent towards other important stuff, no more of these dudes with their hunched backs and wack hitboxes.

Worse than that is being forced to play a game type using ONLY Covenant weapons which is a weapon set that has severe quality-of-play issues.

FyreWulff

DP, but MAN some dudes on Waypoint are soooo salty about no Elites in multiplayer. One guy is like, "Fuck it, I got other games to play". Cancelling pre-orders over character skins in FPS games, aint this some shit.

Although the mag shots show them as hunched over again..

Indeed. Worst part of SWAT(truthfully one of favorite playlists) in Halo 3.

I wonder how many of those people realized that the Elite model wasn't actually helping them. Made me look like I was being an ass while playing SWAT though. But then again, people think jamming crouch in midair makes the engine drop bullet hits. I'm not going to ruin their party.

Wurdfurd

So i popped in reach for the first time in months, and i gotta say, with the changes 343i made it is still a garbage game.

but its only partial garbage. so judging Halo 4 based on what reach has become:

Halo 4 will be the shining glory of the gaming worlds

Easiest way is the matrix one. If the mind knows how to control the body then what do you really need to train as a super soldier which is already at physical peak. The mind of course.
Or the forerunner light tech is also a nice explanation..

I do wonder if we are going to see any old cast being turned into spartan 4 in the campaign.
Like the odst cast. I mean if Buck was any better he would be a spartan.. :)

And i just want Nathan fillion in this game :p

Edit:Goddammit can only find shitty compressed shot of the digitals copies still looks good and Dat artwork.
And finally have a vision on how the Shield world looks like the way GI described that scene.

feel

I'm not a Halo Fiction Veteran but a lot of the Forerunner tech involves hard light (like the light bridges in CE) so if the Infinity is some human/forerunner hybrid ship it might contain some of that stuff but with pretty textures painted on them.
Nice theory, I forgot about those

Ya know, as much as I love a good Halo campaign, I have yet to play ODST.
Get on that. Such a great campaign.

Top Bottom