• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

heckfu

Banned
I've heard it's terrible, all the way from RL friends, to James Harrison's tweets. :p

It's definitely campy like old school horror movies but it's definitely for a point. I wouldn't classify it so much as a horror film as I would a psychological thriller...and it's just fun.

GhaleonEB

EDIT: Just finished Season 1 of Game of Thrones. Holy shit you guys!

I just finished disc 1 and am debating whether to keep going. It's mostly well done but seeing it play out I realized how little I actually enjoyed the story. The bad guys are so detestable and the good guys so fucking stupid that it's hard to watch. Some characters are so vile I just can't stand the thought of watching any more of them. (That would be Cersei and Joffrey.)

I'm close to just returning Clash of Kings at this point as well. The narrative is fragmenting even further and I just can't get into it; there appears to be nothing but misery ahead.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
It's weird how torn GAF is on the appearance of an A.I./videogame character:

2hbkpf.jpg

Some say gorgeous others say fugly, I can't tell if those that dislike the new look are just being sharpknees.jpg or what.

FyreWulff

For me the face doesn't look BAD on a technical level, it just looks mismatched to the character. Then again, it could be that she's solid now when we've gotten used to her being rendered semi-transparent all the time. It might also look better in motion.

edit: beaten by jc on the motion aspect

heckfu

Banned
I like it. Also, its a more complex model that hopefully aids a more complex story.

what a deep thought. but honestly, i hope you're right. at first i was against the idea of getting to know the chief more as i always liked the series for the kind of shadow that was cast over his background and feelings, etc, but since i've been swayed to be more intrigued.

daedalius

I like it. Also, its a more complex model that hopefully aids a more complex story.

They can probably push the polycount and textures to the limit on her, since she should pretty much only show up in cutscenes; where they know exactly what is going to be displayed at that time.

I hope her face is expressive, but it looks like it will be. That is something I really hope they do better on next-gen: faces. The faces in ME3 are just cringe-worthy most of the time, I thought Reach's were actually pretty decent.

A more expressive face is more important to me than a realistic face; I'd rather they err on a more stylized look if it has more expression, similar to Gears, etc.

Ramirez

I just finished disc 1 and am debating whether to keep going. It's mostly well done but seeing it play out I realized how little I actually enjoyed the story. The bad guys are so detestable and the good guys so fucking stupid that it's hard to watch. Some characters are so vile I just can't stand the thought of watching any more of them. (That would be Cersei and Joffrey.)

I'm close to just returning Clash of Kings at this point as well. The narrative is fragmenting even further and I just can't get into it; there appears to be nothing but misery ahead.

So refreshing to read something where not everything goes right for the "good guys".

Trey

He was shat out with extreme force?

I'm guessing that a green and impressionable Over had his head surrounded by ass, until one day he detached his person from the filthy rectum with such force that he carried himself into the comforting arms of HaloGAF, who is represented by the golden-pants luchador.

The only problem with Cortana is kind of how Fyrewulff says, her face looks out of character.
Almost even breaks the believability that they're the same character.
It's an incredibly youthful face.

But yes, I need to see her in motion before I can fully say either way. I wonder how open 343I are to tweaking her between now and ship.

2hbkpf.jpg

Some say gorgeous others say fugly, I can't tell if those that dislike the new look are just being sharpknees.jpg or what.

She's attractive, for an A.I.

No transparancy is kinda weird, though. I like my women tiny and see-through.

It's true, they're depressing as fuck. :lol

Wonder if we get anything this coming week, Ellis mentioned that we would be hearing about spartan ops 'soon', I hope soon doesn't mean E3.

Gazzawa

Wonder if we get anything this coming week, Ellis mentioned that we would be hearing about spartan ops 'soon', I hope soon doesn't mean E3.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Been a fair bit of info recently. Maybe 2 weeks (or in Battlefield terms: 6 games of thousand ticket Metro :D )

zap

Ugh, Reach's playlists are in terrible shape. There are so many playlists so the population is spread thinly (62 people in Objective?), and there is no good playlist for me to jump in and be sure I will have a decent game (Squad :( ). At this time the population is tiny (sometimes as low as 10k usually around 20k)

Delete all playlists, start again.

Team Slayer - TU, 5v5 DMR/AR starts... cater to AA loversby making it Sprint, Jetpack, Hologram (Camo if you must)
Team Objective - TU 4v4 DMR/AR starts Sprint/Hologram only, remove Speedflag etc
Big Team Battle - DLC weighted highly if you can't make it required, weight objective highly and only have Heavies show up in second round
Rumble Pit - unchanged
Invasion - unchanged
Multi Team - unchanged

Anniversary Classic - unchanged
Anniversary FFA - unchanged

Arena - TU 4v4 DMR/AR Sprint/Hologram only
MLG - unchanged
Team Snipers - unchanged
Team SWAT - unchanged

Grifball - unchanged
Action Sack - unchanged
Living Dead - remove default layouts

Overall changes:
Remove Uncaged from MM.
Change Countdown power weapons to Grenade Launcher and Sniper
Remove Banshee across the board

That was as few playlists as you can go without removing Anniversary and niche playlists :/ Everything would be so much better and easier with DLC being free... the duplicates are frustrating.
At this stage in Reach's life, everything should be lean and focused, keep players in fewer playlists to matchmaking works better and ensure a more quality experience.

*sigh*

Ugh, Reach's playlists are in terrible shape. There are so many playlists so the population is spread thinly (62 people in Objective?), and there is no good playlist for me to jump in and be sure I will have a decent game (Squad :( ). At this time the population is tiny (sometimes as low as 10k usually around 20k)

Team Slayer - TU, 5v5 DMR/AR starts... cater to AA loversby making it Sprint, Jetpack, Hologram (Camo if you must)
Team Objective - TU 4v4 DMR/AR starts Sprint/Hologram only, remove Speedflag etc
Big Team Battle - DLC weighted highly if you can't make it required, weight objective highly and only have Heavies show up in second round
Rumble Pit - unchanged
Invasion - unchanged
Multi Team - unchanged

MLG - unchanged
Team Snipers - unchanged
Team SWAT - unchanged

Grifball - unchanged
Action Sack - unchanged

Overall changes:
Remove Uncaged from MM.

That was as few playlists as you can go without removing Anniversary and niche playlists :/ Everything would be so much better and easier with DLC being free... the duplicates are frustrating.
At this stage in Reach's life, everything should be lean and focused, keep players in fewer playlists to matchmaking works better and ensure a more quality experience.

*sigh*

You'd have to add Anniversary BTB and firefight. The people who bought Halo Anniversary expect that they'll be able to play all the maps they were promised they could play.

I'd rather see it removed too, but it would be too unfair against the people who have Halo anniversary but don't have Halo Reach.

Rumble Pit - unchanged
Invasion - unchanged
Multi Team - unchanged

MLG - unchanged
Team Snipers - unchanged
Team SWAT - unchanged

Grifball - unchanged
Action Sack - unchanged

Overall changes:
Remove Uncaged from MM.

*sigh*

It should be, but will anything change? I doubt it.

I like the grenade launcher and sniper on Countdown but that too will never happen because the backdraft of scrub fury on the forums would tilt the Earth's axis.

Rumble Pit - unchanged
Invasion - unchanged
Multi Team - unchanged

MLG - unchanged
Team Snipers - unchanged
Team SWAT - unchanged

Grifball - unchanged
Action Sack - unchanged

Overall changes:
Remove Uncaged from MM.

*sigh*
Get rid of Griffball and add a BOOM! Ball playlist. Infinite win.

Crucio

I think Cortana's new look will take well after a while. It is true that her look is subject to change AIs choose their features and its plausible that they can change them at will.

Also, The Cabin In The Woods is a GREAT film. Mutant Enemy is fantastic at creating the unexpected and making it work. Reviews go 50/50 because of peoples expectations from a "horror" film. But the film is far from what the trailer gives you.
Also some people might not get the humor. :) Its a definitive DVD purchase for me.

MrBig

2hbkpf.jpg

The next Xbox better have a terabyte of ram and a petabyte of vram, because I never want to see another blurry texture again. Why can't it be the future yet?!?

Fuchsdh

I tend to agree. If there's nothing I find that enjoyable about any of the characters, then there's no point in watching for me. That's why I eventually gave up on BSG five episodes from the end--the mystical thing was overwrought, all the characters were whiners, everyone was turning out to be a Cylon, and there just wasn't anything nice to hold on to. Let the metal jerks and fleshy jerks kill each other for all I cared.

akira28

Why does every Halo montage have to include a radio-rock song with the words "suffocating" or "breaking down" or "darkness" in it? So emo. Good montage other than that though (Kampy).

Hahah they should do a montage where those are the only lyrics. Some kind of Godsmack or Coal Chamber guitar/bass/drums mash, some dude growling, and then only random words, and growls to match all the sticky grenade kills and explosions and shit.

Fuchsdh

Yeah that's why I don't watch any montages unless they're specifically linked here or HBO. Why do Halo players with capture cards have horrible taste in music*?

*Or even if you like that stuff, why would you throw it on something you're trying to get views with? Do you really think every player loves screamo?

Top Bottom