• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risen

The problem is distressing to me because the DMR prevents large swaths of maps from becoming playable, and creates many long-range pingfests.

But for me, the DMR in Reach actually makes those same large swaths of maps playable, because it makes me dangerous from anywhere.

I know and thats fine. Praise that idea, it might be delicious. If someone thinks that sounds like shit thats fine too.

Its not fine to bitch about one of those sides opinions and saying they haven't even tried it yet, while not bitching about the other sides opinion that ALSO haven't tried it yet.

Only one side claims that pizza is dead :p

Hyperbole is the BIGGEST threat HaloGAF has EVER seen! We have to stop it before it DESTROYS US ALL!

What we need is more sarcasm. That's always in short supply on the internet.

Trey

No, not really. By virtue of the BR having bullet spread and the DMR firing a single round (which is more powerful than the individual BR rounds), it would still be much more effective at range than the BR.

The problem is distressing to me because the DMR prevents large swaths of maps from becoming playable, and creates many long-range pingfests.

Yes really, because the DMR's superior range is a consideration in its balance currently. Also, I don't quite see how the firing style makes one more accurate than the other beyond scope range. The spread? The DMR would be more hit or miss whereas the BR will have an average of bullets that hit out the spread.

I just move up using cover. Every confrontation doesn't have to be settled in one battle.

Its just he wants to truncate the opinions and discussion of this thread so that people only post their optimistic opinion. Thats not what this place is for. Its for discussion and debate, and shitting on ideas, and praising good ideas (like 60fps) :)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Even better. ;)

I believe they will probably help her though, or whomever is their "leader."
I dunno, I think the idea of her taking control over at least a small army of Prometheans could make sense. She has a vast understanding of Forerunner AI and systems through all the data she absorbed on Reach and Installation 04. And if she ends up going rampant, we may have to deal with the Didact's forces and hers.

:nerdtingles

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I dunno, I think the idea of her taking control over at least a small army of Prometheans could make sense. She has a vast understanding of Forerunner AI and systems through all the data she absorbed on Reach and Installation 04. And if she ends up going rampant, we may have to deal with the Didact's forces and hers.

:nerdtingles

Maybe she ascends into forerunner tech to save her from rampancy? Then she runs half of the Promethians like Didact does?

Its just he wants to truncate the opinions and discussion of this thread so that people only post their optimistic opinion. Thats not what this place is for. Its for discussion and debate, and shitting on ideas, and praising good ideas (like 60fps) :)

Far from it. Only having one opinion hampers anything other than "+1", "Agreed" and "The consensus has been formed".

I just don't put a lot of weight behind opinions which state that change X will be bad for gameplay element Y when the specifics of both X and Y are not even known. By all means, let us all discuss why a DMR with x3 zoom might might be bad if the DMR remains largely unchanged and no other elements change this.

There are no absolutes 6 months this side of release on both sides of the fence.

Two people too many liked that awful Splinter Cell demo.

Though, it's not as bad as IGN giving Tomb Raider best of show. Like, wat?

Well the demo was awful, but spies vs mercs is going to be in the game, which is fucking awesome.

I'd say that's more shitty map design than the DMR's fault.

That definitely plays a significant factor and everyone seems to ignore it. Clearly if you look at the DMR, you shouldn't have included a map like Blood Gulch in the game. At the very least, they should have used the Coagulation rock formations, as they offered more cover than the Blood Gulch design.

The range of the weapon is a double edged sword for BTB. Yes, it creates some problems, amplified by map design not taking it into account, but it is also nice to be able to see a guy in BTB with a clear open line of sight on him, and actually be able to shoot him. I did get frustrated in H3 when you simply couldn't put damage on a guy in those situations. The ideal solution for me would be somewhere in the middle I think.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I'd say that's more shitty map design than the DMR's fault.

I know there are a range of opinions on Hemorrhage as a remake, but it can't get more classic than that and it's the worst offender for that type of problem, I'd say.

Edit: I mean, they could have passed on remaking it, but I still like having larger open-ish maps like it.

So where have you guys pre-ordered from?

I'm EB's bitch. So tempted to get Limited but not quite sure yet.

Does anyone know if the standard edition boxart will be included in LE in some way?

Cortana is the final boss of Halo 6

Remember this post in 2020, son

m5ODw.gif

Trey

Far from it. Only having one opinion hampers anything other than "+1", "Agreed" and "The consensus has been formed".

I just don't put a lot of weight behind opinions which state that change X will be bad for gameplay element Y when the specifics of both X and Y are not even known. By all means, let us all discuss why a DMR with x3 zoom might might be bad if the DMR remains largely unchanged and no other elements change this.

There are no absolutes 6 months this side of release on both sides of the fence.

Then you can't say "soooo good" any more. It's really a worthless argument. This place would be boring as fuck without kyle, lil kyle, bigshow, shadow on a bad day, and pre-E3 letters and Ram. It's perspective. And they're really no more right or wrong than those that are more positive.

Thank you

I co sign his recommendation.

Honestly I don't see her dying, I see her "evolving" and becoming more important.

I'd say the odds are good.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe she ascends into forerunner tech to save her from rampancy? Then she runs half of the Promethians like Didact does?
Hmm, yeah. There's a lot of possibility there.

Crazier Scenario: What if she figures out a way to co-exist and meaningfully function within all Forerunner constructs and sentries at once? She could reproduce, proliferate, expand. She'd eventually begin to rival the power of the Flood. This is some Asimov "The Last Question" style speculation here, and almost definitely not within the scope of the Reclaimer trilogy. But it's fun to think about. :)

MIA has more swag in her little finger than pretty much all other recording artists combined.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Seriously, fuck people in big team. Everyone voted for assault, and then no one picked up the bomb for 5 minutes. Also, people betrayed me, multiple people on our team were shooting each other, and I was the only one on defense. God dammit.

Overdoziz

Banned
Honestly I don't see her dying, I see her "evolving" and becoming more important.
Goes into rampancy in the last quarter or Halo 4. -> Is the main antagonist in Halo 5 and controls (part of) the Promethean. -> At the end of Halo 6 you put her out of her misery.

The rampancy of Cortana could play out pretty interestingly.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Goes into rampancy in the last quarter or Halo 4. -> Is the main antagonist in Halo 5 and controls (part of) the Promethean. -> At the end of Halo 6 you put her out of her misery.

The rampancy of Cortana could play out pretty interestingly.

I think the likelyhood of them killing her off is the likelyhood of killing Chief off, it's not happening. At this point they are too connected, unless they go for some cheap "emotional ploy" which I doubt.

GhaleonEB

Yes really, because the DMR's superior range is a consideration in its balance currently. Also, I don't quite see how the firing style makes one more accurate than the other beyond scope range. The spread? The DMR would be more hit or miss whereas the BR will have an average of bullets that hit out the spread.
Contrast the Halo 3 BR with the Halo 1 pistol. The former has bullet spread that fans the shots out, making it less useful beyond a certain range because only 1-2 shots (if that) would land on target. The Halo 1 pistol had a larger range because its single round could be placed on target with greater precision.

That would be the contrast between the DMR and the BR if the had the same scope: one would fan shots out at range, the other would land its round on target.
But for me, the DMR in Reach actually makes those same large swaths of maps playable, because it makes me dangerous from anywhere.

I won't argue this further. But this post honestly depressed me greatly.

At this point in time, given what I've seen and heard, I'll play Halo 4 similar to Reach: co-op, avoiding the multiplayer.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Can't say I'm disappointed to see hit markers. I know it might be a measure of skill to be confident in knowing when you land shots but Halo has always been miserable for me in that respect.

Overdoziz

Banned
I think the likelyhood of them killing her off is the likelyhood of killing Chief off, it's not happening. At this point they are too connected, unless they go for some cheap "emotional ploy" which I doubt.
I think the fact that they're so close only makes it even more interesting.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Anyone know anything about WiFi repeaters/extenders/boosters? Not getting a strong signal in some parts...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I think the fact that they're so close only makes it even more interesting.
Yeah, I agree. They're clearly pushing the Chief + Cortana relationship, and it's clearly being done to pull at your heart strings once she goes rampant. I don't think that MC having to go against her -- and maybe even extinguishing her -- is beyond the realm of likelihood.

I bet the supposedly friendly prometheans are the ones responsible for taking out that charging Elite at the beginning of the demo.

So what's the current speculation when it comes to the enemies of Halo 4? There are supposedly friendly Prometheans? So we're expecting both hostile and friendly Forerunners?

Redford

aka Cabbie
Still haven't glimpsed that assault carbine yet, eh?

Cabbie, we should go play some Squad or TS.

Would love to, unfortunately I sold that poopy game the other week. :p Anticipated using the credit for some Nintendo stuff but now I think I'll save it... ._<

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
There is no way that the trilogy contains or ends with Chief killing Cortana. Just won't happen.
Uh huh, Frankles just PM'd me and told me that I'm replacing the entire 343 writing team + Greg Bear. I WILL NOT ALLOW CORTANA TO LEAVE THIS TRILOGY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom