• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

Reading the Arstechnica article and somethings jumped out:
Spartan Ops plays off the lives of the men and women aboard the UNSC Infinity, a gigantic human capital ship built five years after the end of the Human-Covenant War in Halo 3. If you saw Microsoft's E3 press conference on Monday morning, the Infinity was the ship that flew over Master Chief's head before crashing into the planet Requiem. Ostensibly, Spartan Ops takes place before the Infinity takes its nose dive, as the co-op players take the roles of Spartan soldiers deployed from the ship.
But it takes place 6 months after the campaign, right? But we see Chief presumable one third into the game at that point.
Each week's selection of five cooperative Spartan Ops missions will be introduced by a short computer-generated animation that 343 promises will be of the same quality as those found in Halo Wars. We only saw a placeholder, hand-drawn animatic at the E3 demo, a scene that wove in a general mission briefing with some basic characterizations and a lot of lingering shots on the Iron Man-style method soldiers use to get into their Spartan armor.
The key to really setting Spartan Ops apart will be those weekly CG story scenes, which could be interesting if they introduce more narrative content than just a simple mission briefing. They'll likely be worth checking out for the eye candy alone, based on the quality of live-action and CG Halo shorts that have come before. For Halo fans who need something to do after the campaign but have no tolerance for teabagging, Spartan Ops will probably be an attractive option.
Halo Wars quality? Takemymoney.jpeg

Also the Verge article revealed the name of the Spartan Ops team:
Our first foray into Spartan Ops began with a placeholder cut scene following Majestic Squad, a team of Spartans stationed aboard the UNSC Infinity.

Do not recommend Prometheus. At all. That was a disappointment.

I keep seeing this, and I can't tell if people are kidding or not.

Rewatching the Bombcast from earlier. Quite enjoyable. David's point about how they more or less took a group of mercenaries into a building and told them, "Hey, you're making Halo 4" and made them a team is awesome.

TheOddOne

Rewatching the Bombcast from earlier. Quite enjoyable. David's point about how they more or less took a group of mercenaries into a building and told them, "Hey, you're making Halo 4" and made them a team is awesome.
I also admired how frank (no pun intended) Josh was on the creation of 343.

The Spartan Ops team is both Majestic & Crimson Squad. Will explain later. I'm sleepy.

Yeah, I was confused by this last thread. I know that we all saw the info come out that we would be Majestic, but all the gameplay and stuff from E3 has referred to the team as Crimson. Looking forward to clarification.

Louis Wu

Handling is a lot more precise and I never saw a vehicle flip or wobble out of control. Closer to H3 than Reach. Handling does have a fairly new feel now. A good feel nonetheless.
I only played one game on Longbow (to Biggy's 2), but I saw 3 different hogs get flipped by a combination of grenades and terrain.

Handling DOES have a new feel (more muscle, it seems - might be I need more experience), so I'll agree with that part. :)

mastrbiggy needs to get less polite. Dude doesn't get what's coming to him.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I only played one game on Longbow (to Biggy's 2), but I saw 3 different hogs get flipped by a combination of grenades and terrain.

Handling DOES have a new feel (more muscle, it seems - might be I need more experience), so I'll agree with that part. :)

mastrbiggy needs to get less polite. Dude doesn't get what's coming to him.

Splain.

So in a roundabout way this would prove that the Fury & Demon stuff is confirmed.

:_\

AND WHY ARE THERE 2 SPARTAN OPS SQUADS?

It's about as confirmed as it's gonna get.

Pf1o6.png

Louis Wu

Dude's invited to sneak in to the play area and hang out, filling play slots if/when they appear. Dude says "I'll stay out here, don't worry about me." (Dude gets dragged in anyway.)

Slot opens up, biggy says "no, that's okay, you go." I go play. Round 2 - 3 slots are open. We go to fill 'em, one more person walks in the room. I say "I just played - you take this one." biggy says "no, I'll just wait to see if they're sending in more people." I say "you idiot - they're CHECKING FOR UNFILLED CONSOLES to see if they should send in new people, if you don't take that spot, they WILL send someone in." He takes it, but he doesn't look happy about it.

Goes 30-8.

CARPE DIEM, BIGGY

Ryaaan14

Banned
Dude's invited to sneak in to the play area and hang out, filling play slots if/when they appear. Dude says "I'll stay out here, don't worry about me." (Dude gets dragged in anyway.)

Slot opens up, biggy says "no, that's okay, you go." I go play. Round 2 - 3 slots are open. We go to fill 'em, one more person walks in the room. I say "I just played - you take this one." biggy says "no, I'll just wait to see if they're sending in more people." I say "you idiot - they're CHECKING FOR UNFILLED CONSOLES to see if they should send in new people, if you don't take that spot, they WILL send someone in." He takes it, but he doesn't look happy about it.

Goes 30-8.

CARPE DIEM, BIGGY

HAHAHAHA. Wow.

1sVeY.jpg

Shadders

Just wanted to say 'Hi' and can't wait for the new game! My brother and I are into the MegaBlok Halo (and soon to be released WoW) figures, and Series 5 (the newest set) just came to our local stores, and we scored us a rare translucent Spartan!

translucentspartan.jpg

Also, bought a bunch of the other individual ones, pic below if interested...apparently the pink one is an uncommon or something too. Anyone else into these things? I ask here as I am not one to disrupt LEGOGaf's topic...and figured these were something I could discuss here.

megabloksset.jpg

We are also doing customs as well (mainly armor based upon our own individual coloring, armor variants, etc.) but haven't shared any yet...besides the MLP-Halo figures on that side of the board. Anyway, just wanted to show what we got, and hopefully when I get Gold again, I can play some games sometime...=p

Take care.

I collect these, haven't seen Series 5 - they might not have made it to the UK yet.

A quick Google throws this up:

10195894_10.jpg

Looks like a decent series, looking forward to getting hold of the Flood combat form. Is the Camo Spartan the same as the one that came in Series 1? That's a bit lame. Also you have an orange/gold grunt there, but the one on the pack is purple. Interesting..

Goes 30-8.

CARPE DIEM, BIGGY

Dat skill-gap.

FyreWulff

Man, I dominated fools at HaloFest with dat pistol on Prisoner. I actually just sat there for a few hours with some friends where there was no one playing at all - great fun.

I did well on the smaller stuff, obviously, especially after taking the first shots and noticing the NR autoaimed.

But I went on the BTB Ridgeline station thing. Turned out HaloGAF was right behind me, so whoever the leader of that troupe had the gametype changed to 3SK Pistol CTF. Me and a bunch of randoms against an organized team. The best part was getting the flag held on us so I just dorked around looking at the map and playing Slayer.

I've already posted about that before, but yeah, been on both sides of Convention Trueskill(tm).

I did well on the smaller stuff, obviously, especially after taking the first shots and noticing the NR autoaimed.

But I went on the BTB Ridgeline station thing. Turned out HaloGAF was right behind me, so whoever the leader of that troupe had the gametype changed to 3SK Pistol CTF. Me and a bunch of randoms against an organized team. The best part was getting the flag held on us so I just dorked around looking at the map and playing Slayer.

I've already posted about that before, but yeah, been on both sides of Convention Trueskill(tm).

Man, you just got me pumped for PAX12, cannot wait. I hope there's some awesome stuff to mess around with there! I wish there'd be a HaloFest 2.0

--

I'm liking this Giant Bombcast. Haven't listened to them before. Only familiar with Gerstmann from Bonus Round with Geoff Keighley.

FyreWulff

Man, you just got me pumped for PAX12, cannot wait. I hope there's some awesome stuff to mess around with there! I wish there'd be a HaloFest 2.0

--

I'm liking this Giant Bombcast. Haven't listened to them before. Only familiar with Gerstmann from Bonus Round with Geoff Keighley.

There will be a Halo Freeplay on one of the days. Still waiting on the details to be nailed down on that one. It'll be like a micro-Halofest.

Woorloog

Banned
Not worth ten to fifteen bucks? Really that bad to you?

Noon est.

Yeah, really that bad. IMO. I really can't say anything else without having to spoilertag stuff. And then someone will complain (rightfully) about non-Halo spoilers here. EDIT i'll note that i'm not a big fan of movies in general though. I could be a good film critic, i'd slam nearly every movie i'd see, probably anyway.

Thanks. Now i need to translate that to euro-time... A few hours more?

Yeah, really that bad. IMO. I really can't say anything else without having to spoilertag stuff. And then someone will complain (rightfully) about non-Halo spoilers here.

Thanks. Now i need to translate that to euro-time... A few hours more?

5 PM GMT.

Exactly, 4 hours and 17 mins from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom