• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I would like it, but it's not really necessary, the other player should be able to see him on the motion sensor. Maybe it's just me but I am always hyper aware of what's going on around me.

What about gametypes without radar?

Radar is so whack in Halo.

Promethean vision is definitely going to be a game breaker if it ships in it's current iteration. It is super powerful and allows a relatively skilled player to know the position, direction of movement, and intent of every enemy on the map. Some things that could be done to nerf it are:
  1. Make the field dissipate as it pulses outwards, such that after a point it will not show enemies. [i.e. decrease it's range]
  2. Make it have a minimum usage, 1-2 seconds, so you cannot simply flicker it to get an instantaneous position of the people behind a wall.
  3. Make the transition into PV more blurry/unstable
  4. Increase the cooldown
  5. Decrease the time it lasts
  6. Decrease player movement whilst using it.
  7. If a player is hit with PV, give them an audio or HUD queue (perhaps a special arrow on the motion tracker)
Obviously don't apply all of these, but I would say at least 1-2 should be used.

Ooh, just realized: overshield is bound to be spawnable as a physical powerup, so does that mean we're going to be able to spawn Double Damage, Speed Boost, etc. powerups on the map as well?

FyreWulff

Ooh, just realized: overshield is bound to be spawnable as a physical powerup, so does that mean we're going to be able to spawn Double Damage, Speed Boost, etc. powerups on the map as well?

If there was something that was a missed opportunity in Reach, it was having more than one custom powerup so people could rig their own OS/Camo powerups instead of all-or-nothing with the single powerup. But since they considered powerups as no longer being part of the game's intended sandbox, that probably fell to the wayside.

(Personally, I'd like to know why the OS/Camo do that thing where they teleport downwards when you place them on certain maps in certain spots)

ZalinKrow

When I had first heard about Promethean Vision, I thought it was going to work pretty differently. I thought it was going to act like a sonar almost, and instead of giving you live feedback of where they are moving, it would just return a static image of where they were at the time the wave or signal passed over them.

I figured that way you could get a good idea as to where people are, but still have a good chance of being surprised by them. In it's current state it does make me feel like the user can avoid taking a lot of risks (like moving out of cover with low shields) because they know for sure when it's safe when using it.

MrBig

2400 posts how do you do it halogaf

Multiplayer looks a little better than I thought; promethean vision though, how is that supposed to be balanced? You get better visual contrast than without the color grading, it should obstruct your vision if anything

Stay tuned.
:)
*impressions*
Thank you!

@Ghaleon: re: sound design. You don't think it's good? I think it's mostly great! There are some things here and there that I'm unsure of, but overall I definitely like the metallic click to everything. One of those things is the announcer's voice – he seems to have some sort of weird filter on him. One thing I'm hoping is in the game: distant gun noises. I loved that in Halo 3.

kylej

Banned
-One of the maps. One looks like just another cramped metal dungeon, which too many of the human-themed maps are. Reach had too many, Halo 3 had too many (thanks, Foundry!) and one in Halo 4 is too many. Please pick a different art style!

It's the laziest of the lazy. Halo is not limited to earth. Halo is not limited to human architecture. Hell, Halo 4's multiplayer environments take place in a simulation. Why oh why are there maps where you have to jump around crates and barrels or walk up ramps of metal pipes to get around? Why am I staring at incongruous metal walls? It is the most boring possible place to set a map in a game that could have any style imaginable.

It's the laziest of the lazy. Halo is not limited to earth. Halo is not limited to human architecture. Hell, Halo 4's multiplayer environments take place in a simulation. Why oh why are there maps where you have to jump around crates and barrels or walk up ramps of metal pipes to get around? Why am I staring at incongruous metal walls? It is the most boring possible place to set a map in a game that could have any style imaginable.
This is what came into my head:
rainbowroad64.jpg

This. Many times, this.

Well apart from the 'lazy' part, uninspired more like.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
I mean look at the radar:

ibv96iXb7HSTrx.gif

What is this, I don't even:

ipLC25J3MIHiY.gif

Just borderline stupid moments to even use PV.

Yeah really, they just make it annoying to watch the footage.

PV here, PV there, PV when getting shot, PV when red dot on radar, PV when spotting someone infront of you.

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

kylej

Banned
This is what came into my head:
rainbowroad64.jpg

I think of Lockout, Midship, Narrows, and Construct. Maps that revolve around layout and playability first, rather than worry about whether a mech in the middle of the map looks believable, or if the skybox conveys the proper amount of canonical importance.

"Distraction +10!" I thought Boomwood was kidding about that. I'm watching the long video on Haven, and when that turned up it took me a few moments to register it: "Wait. What?"

Tashi

I think of Lockout, Midship, Narrows, and Construct. Maps that revolve around layout and playability first, rather than worry about whether a mech in the middle of the map looks believable, or if the skybox conveys the proper amount of canonical importance.

There are people who don't like Midship and the others you mentioned.

"Distraction +10!" I thought Boomwood was kidding about that. I'm watching the long video on Haven, and when that turned up it took me a few moments to register it: "Wait. What?"

If your teammate manages to kill the enemy whilst they are still focused (shooting) at you, it gives you the distraction medal.

I think that's how it works.

kylej

Banned
There are people who don't like Midship and the others you mentioned.

What would you like me to do, tickle their nutsack with a feather? I like those maps, that's quite obviously why I made that post. The sentiment stands on its own regardless of what specific map examples you want to use.

Karl2177

When talking about layout and playability, you use two maps that have issues about layers getting from point A to point B. I like them both, but to demonstrate your point I would have used maps that weren't so linear.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree.

feel

What would you like me to do, tickle their nutsack with a feather? I like those maps, that's quite obviously why I made that post. The sentiment stands on its own regardless of what specific map examples you want to use.
bahahaha amazing

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I really hope now that they're adding join in progress, that they also set up a system to kick out players who AFK throughout the whole game.

There's Green Thumb. Here are some recommended changes (that is, my preferred Green Thumb layout). I'm definitely disliking that crouch is on B. Biggest complaints are zoom and active reload. Reload/action is easier on RB.

LB (or B) - sprint
LB (or B) - zoom
RS - melee
RB - action/reload
X - AA
LS - crouch
Y - switch weapon
RT - Fire weapon
LT - throw grenades
A - jump
up on dpad - switch grenades

343, zoom on RB DOES NOT WORK. It's very, very hard to fire my weapon and zoom in a firefight when I have to use the same finger for both.

Tashi

What? All I'm saying is that there will be maps we think suck and it won't be because of the graphical bullshit that's added.

You press the triggers and bumpers with the same finger?

Of course? It's uncomfortable to hold it any other way. Looking over the other layouts, Recon seems to be the one I like the most. If 343 doesn't make changes to Green Thumb, I may have to switch controller layouts for the first time in six years. I hope 343 adopts Recon's control layout but switches melee and reload. That's how it's always been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom