• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawpgun

Prophet%2Bof%2BTruth.jpg

"The hopes and dreams of Basketball rest on your shoulders, Oklahoma City..."

Booshka

I don't understand the aversion to letting players set their own key binding on consoles.

Too complicated for console players, they may forget to map a button and wouldn't even be able to jump, then would get on Waypoint forums and bitch that their game is broken.

Ryaaan14

Banned
It made the game more complex and fun. You can't deny getting a quad shot to that finish that killtac wasn't ever so satisfying. So rare, but so good.

If that's what makes the game more complex and fun, they should just attach abilities to difficult button combos.

AusQB

Good question. Should we beat Campaign before diving into Spartan Ops?

I would say definitely yes for Spartan Ops, considering they take place after the campaign. As for regular multiplayer, whether they give away spoilers is always uncertain. There's always one or two with scenery or architecture from later stages in the campaign, but usually it's hard to tell until you've actually gone through the campaign.

I would advise just jumping right into the campaign before you touch anything else. It all depends on what you care about the most and what you've been waiting for.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
keep that button combo shit out my gun game

Same people that want it complain about melee strength. Go home people.

Button combos such as BxR and doubleshot, were difficult to use. Especially aiming with a doubleshot. It took people a very long time to master them and the dedicated and the skilled were rewarded for their efforts.

Button combos were a good thing for Halo.

Booshka

Button combos such as BxR and doubleshot, were difficult to use. Especially aiming with a doubleshot. It took people a very long time to master them and the dedicated and the skilled were rewarded for their efforts.

Button combos were a good thing for Halo 2.

Button combos may have saved competitive Halo 2, but it is still shit compared to Halo CE; the button combos in CE aren't ridiculously overpowered and they don't marginalize the gun play in a FPS either.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I really want to play customs with you guys more often. I like Stalker's Predator idea. I also want to try "Style Points Slayer" -- as close of an approximation to Infinity Slayer's point system as we can get.

I really want to play customs with you guys more often. I like Stalker's Predator idea. I also want to try "Style Points Slayer" -- as close of an approximation to Infinity Slayer's point system as we can get.

Except that the only thing that impacts team score in infinity slayer is kills.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
After trying both Default and Recon for Halo 4, I'd like this control scheme added or replaced for Bumper Jumper:

LT - Grenade
LB - Jump
LS - Crouch
RT - Shoot
RB - Melee
RS - Zoom
X - Armor Ability
B - Reload
Y - Switch Weapon
A - Sprint
D-pad UP - Switch Grenade

Seems much better than the current Bumper Jumper to me.

After trying both Default and Recon for Halo 4, I'd like this control scheme added or replaced for Bumper Jumper:

LT - Grenade
LB - Jump
LS - Crouch
RT - Shoot
RB - Melee
X - Armor Ability
B - Reload
Y - Switch Weapon
A - Sprint

Yup. This'd be what I'd use for sure.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Hah, I'm obviously still very confused. Do style points only go towards your ordinance meter, then?

Everything that gives you XP goes towards your ordinance meter in Infinity Slayer, if I remember correctly, because my meter filled up a bit after getting an Assist.

Hah, I'm obviously still very confused. Do style points only go towards your ordinance meter, then?

Yes, style points go towards your ordnance meter as well as your individual score for the game. The team score is only +10 for kills. The team scoring is no different than for regular slayer. Halo 4 has a separation of individual score (which is clearly tied to the investment system) and team score.

LT - Grenade
LB - Jump
LS - Crouch
RT - Shoot
RB - Melee
RS - Zoom
X - Armor Ability
B - Reload
Y - Switch Weapon
A - Sprint

Violates my two requirements, AA's and sprint not being on face buttons. It's going to be interesting to see what becomes popular for control schemes in H4. I think the scheme use will be more diverse than before due to yet another "action command" being in the game with the separation of sprint and AA's.

Ryaaan14

Banned

Button combos were a good thing for Halo.
When I play a Halo game, that is not what I want to be rewarded from. I'd buy puzzle games or reflex games for that shit.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Violates my two requirements, AA's and sprint not being on face buttons. It's going to be interesting to see what becomes popular for control schemes in H4. I think the scheme use will be more diverse than before due to yet another "action command" being in the game with the separation of sprint and AA's.

My philosophy is that things like AAs are passive uses meaning they're not CONSTANTLY in play where as crouching, jumping, and meleeing are (although meleeing not so much in Halo 4) so it's alright if they're put on one of the skittles. It's called Bumper Jumper for a reason.

I don't know so much about sprinting fitting into that, but I can already picture being able to sprint simply by moving your right thumb up just a tad to push A is VERY helpful in-game.

Not exclusively no. Not when they're void of unintentional button exploits.

Edit: Games like SWAT are heavily aimed at reflexes, however they give all players equal opportunity for success.
But button combos don't turn them into exclusive reflex games either, nor do they give unequal opportunities for success. They're artificial and unintuitive, but the actual outcome potentially enhances encounters.

My philosophy is that things like AAs are passive uses meaning they're not CONSTANTLY in play where as crouching, jumping, and meleeing are (although meleeing not so much in Halo 4) so it's alright if they're put on one of the skittles. It's called Bumper Jumper for a reason.

I don't know so much about sprinting fitting into that, but I can already picture being able to sprint simply by moving your right thumb up just a tad to push A is VERY helpful in-game.

I disagree with AAs being passive, especially if some of them are in need of being held down like Reach, it absolutely needs to be on a bumper for me. I also love melee on RB despite being an avoid melee avoider in combat, which Halo 4 looks to be my default, so a control scheme with melee on a face button would probably work well for me.

It will be interesting. I won't know until the game is out and I'll have to play around with a few.

Ryaaan14

Banned
But button combos don't turn them into exclusive reflex games either, nor do they give unequal opportunities for success. They're artificial and unintuitive, but the actual outcome potentially enhances encounters.

This is false. If you cannot button combo, you are at a severe disadvantage to someone who is excellent at it. This is the very definition of game breaking. It becomes less about playing the actual game, and more about practicing exploits in order to achieve success.

LT - Grenade
LB - Jump
LS - Crouch
RT - Shoot
RB - Melee
RS - Zoom
X - Armor Ability
B - Reload
Y - Switch Weapon
A - Sprint

Yep, exactly this. And I just realized the majority of my posts are about controls. Fix them, 343.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I disagree with AAs being passive, especially if some of them are in need of being held down like Reach, it absolutely needs to be on a bumper for me. I also love melee on RB despite being an avoid melee avoider in combat, which Halo 4 looks to be my default, so a control scheme with melee on a face button would probably work well for me.

It will be interesting. I won't know until the game is out and I'll have to play around with a few.

The only issue I see with AAs being on a skittle is with Jetpacking, but that's the sacrifice you make to be able to jump and melee on the shoulder buttons, a la Reach.

This is false. If you cannot button combo, you are at a severe disadvantage to someone who is excellent at it. This is the very definition of game breaking. It becomes less about playing the actual game, and more about practicing exploits in order to achieve success.
That can be said about every aspect of the game and being good or not at it; the concept isn't if you can or cannot, but rather that there is nothing limiting anyone from doing it. That's not game breaking, but an evolution of the meta much like many competitive titles.

Ryaaan14

Banned
That can be said about every aspect of the game and being good or not at it; the concept isn't if you can or cannot, but rather that there is nothing limiting anyone from doing it. That's not game breaking, but an evolution of the meta much like many competitive titles.

It's poor design. If it wasn't poor design, it wouldn't get patched out, simple as that.

Fuck button combos into space.

The only issue I see with AAs being on a skittle is with Jetpacking, but that's the sacrifice you make to be able to jump and melee on the shoulder buttons, a la Reach.

Jump doesn't concern me being on a face button, did it for Reach, it's just a quick tap, so it's okay for me. I could live with melee on a face button as well. My concern is crouch. I like the default scheme for H4 with the exception of crouch on B.

If you can't do it, learn to do it. Like any skill in any game or sport ever. Definitely not game breaking.

Also fps games revolve heavily around reflexes, even non-swat gametypes. With poor reflexes you can't maximise your aim supplemented by good map position and movement.

It's poor design. If it wasn't poor design, it wouldn't get patched out, simple as that.
It wasn't design at all though, but I wouldn't take the developer's word as the final on whether or not it's competitively viable. Though I think crafty developers take these aspects that come out as bugs and try to incorporate them as more legitimized features later on, but I don't know how you'd make button combos as they appeared in Halo 2 as a designed mechanic.

If you look at reach, the only AA that required the button to be held down was jetpack (I don't acknowledge armor lock as an AA), meaning all other AA's work on a toggle. As a bumper jumper user, I feel sprint works very well on X. All I need to do is tap the button once. It's analogous to jump on A; all other control schemes have you move your right thumb off of the stick to tap A, and you do it very often throughout the game.

So far in Halo 4, every AA works on a toggle (since jetpack hasn't been shown yet) and therefore would work perfectly fine on a face button. I like to reserve the triggers and bumpers for things I want to do while aiming, like shooting, nadeing, jumping and punching. I really don't need to look around to tap a button to sprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom