• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

darthbob

So an exploit that gives one person an advantage is not game breaking, but one that negatively affects the entire game session equally is?

People can go on all day about button combos, but they were not intended for the final game and negatively affected it.

BXR? It let you use a gun that was intended for mid-long range as a CQB weapon that was more effective than the Shotgun. In terms of game design communication, I can be pretty damn sure Bungie intended you to see someone with a BR and go "that person will be more vulnerable at close range". People that didn't want to spend the hours perfecting the glitch would then get frustated and annoyed that attacking a BR user with the proper weapon for the proper situation lost because the other person knew a glitch and you didn't.

Double shot? Gave you the firing speed of the pistol with the power and range of the BR. Once again, negatively affected the sandbox. So now you had a long range rifle that could instantly become a Sword and a Pistol.

It didn't add another layer of skill. It was not discoverable unless you went outside of the game to learn it. It was never fixed because the issue was deeply rooted in their animation system - same reason they didn't fix Superbouncing, because Superbouncing was deeply rooted in that version of Havok. It was just another set of meta-game information that gave jerks an advantage in Halo 2. Also funny how people viewed double meleeing in Halo 2 as a skill (BXB) but feel the slower double melee in Reach is unskilled.

tl;dr The button combos in Halo 2 ruined the entire design language of the BR and other weapons, negatively affected the game's experience online, and even if they were somehow intended (which they were not), would have been poor game design to have an unlearnable mechanic in the game like that.

Post of the motherfucking year.

XOrzU.gif

Ryaaan14

Banned
So an exploit that gives one person an advantage is not game breaking, but one that negatively affects the entire game session equally is?

People can go on all day about button combos, but they were not intended for the final game and negatively affected it.

BXR? It let you use a gun that was intended for mid-long range as a CQB weapon that was more effective than the Shotgun. In terms of game design communication, I can be pretty damn sure Bungie intended you to see someone with a BR and go "that person will be more vulnerable at close range". People that didn't want to spend the hours perfecting the glitch would then get frustated and annoyed that attacking a BR user with the proper weapon for the proper situation lost because the other person knew a glitch and you didn't.

Double shot? Gave you the firing speed of the pistol with the power and range of the BR. Once again, negatively affected the sandbox. So now you had a long range rifle that could instantly become a Sword and a Pistol.

It didn't add another layer of skill. It was not discoverable unless you went outside of the game to learn it. It was never fixed because the issue was deeply rooted in their animation system - same reason they didn't fix Superbouncing, because Superbouncing was deeply rooted in that version of Havok. It was just another set of meta-game information that gave jerks an advantage in Halo 2. Also funny how people viewed double meleeing in Halo 2 as a skill (BXB) but feel the slower double melee in Reach is unskilled.

tl;dr The button combos in Halo 2 ruined the entire design language of the BR and other weapons, negatively affected the game's experience online, and even if they were somehow intended (which they were not), would have been poor game design to have an unlearnable mechanic in the game like that.

Thanks for noticing, just woke up. Reworded for my intended intention.

PrLOA.gif

I'm not usually an intolerant man, but anyone who thought the button combos were a good idea needs to be re-educated, Clockwork Orange style.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Real talk, it annoys me the top quotes both included the edit I made in the first minute with my punctuation, posted 10 mins after my post.

Just sayin. >:_\

A button combo supporter not using 100ppp, color me shocked.
Live with those quotes for another 40 something posts, mwahaha!

Also I don't support them, though I do like getting into discussions when random things catch my eye, like the reflex game mention. Or at least, I'm fine with how the meta of Halo 2 evolved but I wouldn't want them in the games going forward.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Live with those quotes for another 40 something posts, mwahaha!

Also I don't support them, though I do like getting into discussions when random things catch my eye, like the reflex game mention. Or at least, I'm fine with how the meta of Halo 2 evolved but I wouldn't want them in the games going forward.

I was annoyed at how much time it took you guys to click quote and then formulate your response.

Oh my god every time someone mentions the word 'page' or 'posts' we have that same, tired argument about posts per page. Does anyone give an actual fuck about that?

Nope, it's more of a fun prod to lighten the mood. But so much for that now.

heckfu

Banned
Oh my god every time someone mentions the word 'page' or 'posts' we have that same, tired argument about posts per page. Does anyone give an actual fuck about that?

zap

This is the internet. Everyone cares about the smallest, most insignificant details. 50 is so mainstream. 100 is for hipsters. You can't win!

zap

3L3sC.gif

I'm tired of AT&T, but want to stay GSM so T-Mobile is my option. Lumia 710 any good?

I was thinking about getting a Lumia 710, but the battery life scared me. I was really impressed by how responsive it was, it was silky smooth. So good. Love the OS too.

I miss it in general. Might be worth a playthrough in the next few days, it's been a while.

Might be fun to do a HaloGAF co-op.

HaloGAF presents: The Summer of Co-op and Campaign MM (tm)

3L3sC.gif

I'm tired of AT&T, but want to stay GSM so T-Mobile is my option. Lumia 710 any good?

I have a Lumia 900, and the 710 has the same internals, I believe. I love the phone so damn much, and I'm sure the experience would be damn close on the 710. Can't beat the price, either.

I miss it in general. Might be worth a playthrough in the next few days, it's been a while.

Might be fun to do a HaloGAF co-op.

I'd probably be down. Was thinking about playing through it again myself.

Also, some more thoughts on Glasslands, Chapter 13 Spoilers inbound:

1. Hating Halsey more and more. Glad she got what was coming to her.
2. Holy shit, Lucy.
3. BB is awesome.
4. Loving the characters in the ONI story-line. Phillips is cool.

JonCha

Going to bed, will post this at HBO tomorrow, but I thought it might be useful if anyone wants to see all the questions and answers David Ellis answered tonight. Struggled with how to present the data, decided that GAF-formatted posts made the most sense. (Removed all javascript and GAF-hosted assets, but the links still work.)

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/neogaf_lybertyboy_minih4_qa.html

No-one asked about nerfing Promethean Vision! Sounds like they're not worried, though, disappointingly despite it blatantly being overpowered.

:(

I really want that phone, but it's way too damned expensive.
I have to pick a new mobile phone later this year and I was thinking to pick the Lumia 900. Because of the release of the new WP version Appollon, I am not sure if I should do it. Microsoft did not say which one are update-able to Appollon from Mango.

I meant the price of the 710!

300 huh. Still pretty pricy, and I don't like how 'round' it looks.

I'll just wait 'til my current phone completely breaks down and see what's on the market then. :lol

I have to pick a new mobile phone later this year and I was thinking to pick the Lumia 900. Because of the release of the new WP version Appollon, I am not sure if I should do it. Microsoft did not say which one are update-able to Appollon from Mango.

Spending that much money on a phone is just stupid, imo. I wouldn't even be able to bring myself to do that.

We'll find out on June 20th, I guess. I sincerely hope I get something from Apollo on my 900 - I just bought it 6 weeks ago!

I just purchased a used 710 for $140. I'll use it with the 4G monthly t-mobile plan. If I like it I'll sell my iPhone and cancel AT&T.

Only things that bothers me are no internet sharing, no front facing camera and no HTML5 support.

Nokia have confirmed the 710 will be getting an ICS feature with Tango's release later this month, and I'm pretty sure WP7 already has pretty decent HTML5 support. The browser is based on IE9.

:(

I really want that phone, but it's way too damned expensive.

I have to say, I'm pretty happy with my windows phone. There are a few little annoyances like the web browser. I prefer the safari browser on the Ipod. Much more responsive and easier to use. Also, there aren't as many apps on it as on apple or android devices but that doesn't bother too much.

I have to say, I'm pretty happy with my windows phone. There are a few little annoyances like the web browser. I prefer the safari browser on the Ipod. Much more responsive and easier to use. Also, there aren't as many apps on it as on apple or android devices but that doesn't bother too much.

Appflow > WP marketplace.

It's just so much better. : )

Sordid

Has anyone here used the Datel Wildfire Evo controller? It looks pretty cheap but the reviews are good and you can remap the buttons which might be handy for Halo 4. I was looking at an Onza too but reviews are pretty mixed :/

Edit: The Lumia 710 is a good budget phone, I bought it for my fiancée a few months ago. It flies compared to my Omnia 7!

I dont know if you guys remember but here's the deal with my current phone situation.

Iphone 4 is under contract till July 11th, at which point finishing my contract and starting a new contact with the HTC One X for £10 less than mu current contract, Im going to put that £10 into a Smaller contract and use that Sim in my Iphone.

So in July ill go from having

Iphone 4
5,000 Network Minuets
5,000 Texts
200 Pictures Texts
2,000 Voice Minuets
Unlimited Internet (no fair use policy)

To

Iphone 4
HTC One X
5,000 Network Minuets
7,000 texts
200 Picture Texts
2,600 Voice Minuets
Unlimited Internet (Both Phones No fair usage)

All for the exact same price as my current contract. (about $70) Cant lie id love a windows phone but im happy to wait another contract and then maybe i can have both my Iphone and the HTC as backups and get a Windows Phone as primary.

And before you ask why im keeping my Iphone, Its because im insanely happy with it, Its jailbroken and iv got it running as perfect as i want it

Has anyone here used the Datel Wildfire Evo controller? It looks pretty cheap but the reviews are good and you can remap the buttons which might be handy for Halo 4. I was looking at an Onza too but reviews are pretty mixed :/

Edit: The Lumia 710 is a good budget phone, I bought it for my fiancée a few months ago. It flies compared to my Omnia 7!

I have an Onza, but I don't like it. The twistable thumbsticks to change the tension bugs me so much, because they're always at a slightly different tension from each other.

I dont know if you guys remember but here's the deal with my current phone situation.

Iphone 4 is under contract till July 11th, at which point finishing my contract and starting a new contact with the HTC One X for £10 less than mu current contract, Im going to put that £10 into a Smaller contract and use that Sim in my Iphone.

So in July ill go from having

Iphone 4
5,000 Network Minuets
5,000 Texts
200 Pictures Texts
2,000 Voice Minuets
Unlimited Internet (no fair use policy)

To

Iphone 4
HTC One X
5,000 Network Minuets
7,000 texts
200 Picture Texts
2,600 Voice Minuets
Unlimited Internet (Both Phones No fair usage)

All for the exact same price as my current contract. (about $70) Cant lie id love a windows phone but im happy to wait another contract and then maybe i can have both my Iphone and the HTC as backups and get a Windows Phone as primary.

And before you ask why im keeping my Iphone, Its because im insanely happy with it, Its jailbroken and iv got it running as perfect as i want it

The iPhone 4 and HTC One X are both fantastic phones. I really wish I had an Android device in my collection. I also wish there were Unlimited Data here in Alberta.

I have an Onza, but I don't like it. The twistable thumbsticks to change the tension bugs me so much, because they're always at a slightly different tension from each other.

No to mention its got numerous faults and a terrible build quality it feels like shit and razer support just deny any issue. Avoid the Onza at all costs worst Peripheral product iv ever bought

The iPhone 4 and HTC One X are both fantastic phones. I really wish I had an Android device in my collection. I also wish there were Unlimited Data here in Alberta.

Im hyped to get my hands on the One X iv had a couple of seconds playing around on a friends and i touched the horrible display model in store but from what i can tell the screen estate is amazing.

SmartGlass works with all first party titles.

Really interested in some kind of dedicated waypoint tablet. If i can run SmartGlass from my Windows 8 PC then great if not then i might get some kind of Windows 8 Tablet.

AusQB

SmartGlass works with all first party titles.

Really interested in some kind of dedicated waypoint tablet. If i can run SmartGlass from my Windows 8 PC then great if not then i might get some kind of Windows 8 Tablet.

Real-time stat updates?

*gets a kill*
*looks at tablet*
*waits 5 minutes*
*kills +1*
"That just happened!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom