• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

broony

Finally managed to finish Thursday War. Much better than Glasslands for me. No spoilers but it sets things up nicely for Halo 4 and explains some of the stuff we have seen and heard about the campaign so far. Would recommend any campaign guys pick it up.

Fuchsdh

I'm guessing this also means no watching films with parties, either.

Bungie's rationale for dropping it in Reach was lame. I've got two dozen regulars I play Halo with, and every last one of us used this feature in Halo 3 pretty consistently. Maybe we're just a different breed of person with radically different wants and needs from the majority of the Halo community.

Well, no duh. I think it's pretty clear the majority of members at HBO, or HaloGAF, or THC or even Waypoint are a far different breed from the "average" Halo player. I have no doubt comparatively few users utilized those features of Halo 3's theater. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't keep those features, however, especially since you'll never know what features will catch on unless you try them out. What would Halo 3, Reach and Halo 4 look like if there had been no Forge?

So no Campaign theatre mode?

RIP

Pelican_over_Installation_00_by_Pokeh_Panorama.jpg

stormpanorama1280zi7.jpg

While that shot of The Covenant is a beautiful one, I think this is jumping to conclusions.

JonCha

The moment when the developer on Abandon uses Promethenan Vision. I was shocked.

Has anyone actually answered why the range is so long? It seems such an obvious flaw.

L1NETT

Nice vid, are you going to do that for all the maps?

Keep up the good work by the way THC, you guys are killing it :)

---

On Spectator mode, correct me If I am wrong but surely the Killcam feature means possibly down the line Spectator mode is possible in some form?

---

Oh and Abandon looks like a really good map *. So far, it Solace and Haven look like my pre release favourites while Adrift and Complex (from the little we have seen) are the couple I am least looking forward too.

*But the Jetpack has the potential to frustrate more so than any other map we have seen.

senador

Banned
Well, no duh. I think it's pretty clear the majority of members at HBO, or HaloGAF, or THC or even Waypoint are a far different breed from the "average" Halo player. I have no doubt comparatively few users utilized those features of Halo 3's theater. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't keep those features, however, especially since you'll never know what features will catch on unless you try them out. What would Halo 3, Reach and Halo 4 look like if there had been no Forge?

They would be brilliant and I would cry happy man tears evertim.

willow ve

We are doing them;)

Expect a full video on them by u4iX tomorrow.

Great walkthrough
and love to hear someone use the phrase "tactical jumps" in an analysis... even though we know he meant "jetpack route"

Edit - one thing that disappoints me is that this is one of the smaller or even smallest maps in Halo 4 and it still looks much larger than maps like Lockout, Guardian, or The Pit. I realize sprint makes everything "smaller" ... but still.

ZalinKrow

Multiple people being able to view a video in Theater at once is something I'd love if they brought back, but I'm not getting my hopes up about it. It was one of my favourite memories from Halo 3 though. There was almost nothing funnier than loading up a clip where something hilarious/awesome happened and just replaying it in slow motion and from different angles while laughing with friends about it.

Sending people clips just isn't the same, cause usually it's like:
"Man, I pulled off the craziest shit in a match the other day, I saved the match so I'll go watch it again later"
"If you clip it and throw it on your fileshare and I'll watch it later"
*never happens* :(

Or if I do put it on my fileshare I'll forget to tell them I did, or they'll forget to mention they saw it etc. So it's definitely a feature I'd love to see returning, but seeing as they took it out after 3 I'd just be surprised to see it now.

Nothing like loading up a clip to show people and then getting 4 people stuck in blackscreen for minutes only to be booted out back to lobby eventually.

H3 was garbage.

Duji

Nothing like loading up a clip to show people and then getting 4 people stuck in blackscreen for minutes only to be booted out back to lobby eventually.

H3 was garbage.

They should have really added a film clip loading time bar or something. I remember one time I was watching one of my clips with some friends and it literally took like 7 minutes to load. We never loaded clips together after that.

Karl2177

Oh, that NPF7 dude got banned.

Was he bumping threads to be malicious? I don't get it. Before he did all that, he seemed like an okay guy.

smh. I don't understand what the huge deal with being a "Member" is. Hell, I was a junior for 3 Reach OTs, which moved at a slower pace than these Halo ones do.

In other news, I got a piece of mail today from a certain Louis Wu. Thanks for the Cryptum pin! I've already placed it on my bag. :)

ZalinKrow

H3 was garbage.

Haha yeah I think I repressed the blackscreens. H4 better have some kind of blackscreen mini-game. If it doesn't, I'll still get the game day 1. So take that 314!

Ken

So is LE really sold out of pre-orders? Can't decide if I should keep my randomly placed Amazon pre-order for one (same with Persona 4 Golden CE @_@).

So is LE really sold out of pre-orders? Can't decide if I should keep my Amazon pre-order for one.

Yeah, seems like almost every retailer is sold out now. Although I'd guess more LE's will be made since there's demand for them.

It would be cool if someone from 343 could clarify if the LE will actually be a limited release or not.

edit: And I was so tempted to get the Persona 4 CE, but I went with the regular edition instead since Newegg had a pre-order deal for it.

zlatko

Banned
So is LE really sold out of pre-orders? Can't decide if I should keep my randomly placed Amazon pre-order for one (same with Persona 4 Golden CE @_@).

Seems to be the case. I wanted to get mine at Gamestop and do the midnight release fun, but unfortunately they are sold out. Luckily I had already pre ordered it on Amazon long ago, so I can still get it. No way in hell I'm not getting it after the fuck awesome that was the limited for Reach which had Hasley's Journal.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Damn I'm so fucked. I don't know why I waited so long man. I just wanted to get info on the NYC launch party I guess but I just wanna make sure I get the fuckin game now at midnight lol.

I think after NYCC I'm going to go hunting for a place to pre order the limited edition. Don't know where. I'll probably be able to show up at any Walmart at midnight and pick one up huh?

I have an LE pre-order at Gamestop but I'm debating switching to the normal version + season pass at Wal-Mart. If I keep the Gamestop one does somebody want to trade or something?

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
I have an LE pre-order at Gamestop but I'm debating switching to the normal version + season pass at Wal-Mart. If I keep the Gamestop one does somebody want to trade or something?

Eh, i'm getting the normal edition with the map pack bundle. Giving helmets away to someone.

Ken

I wish jelyk was here to make a sarcastic post about the scarcity of Halo LEs.

Eh, i'm getting the normal edition with the map pack bundle. Giving helmets away to someone.

How would you give away the helmets? I'd imagine that they would be tied to the same bundle, if you're talking about the XBL Map Pass.

FyreWulff

They should have really added a film clip loading time bar or something. I remember one time I was watching one of my clips with some friends and it literally took like 7 minutes to load. We never loaded clips together after that.

It was because they had to send an engine state to each person in the lobby that was multiple megabytes, under MS's bandwidth limitations, which are (were?) set around the lowest common denominator of 256/256kb DSL.

Yeah.

Simo

Seems to be the case. I wanted to get mine at Gamestop and do the midnight release fun, but unfortunately they are sold out. Luckily I had already pre ordered it on Amazon long ago, so I can still get it. No way in hell I'm not getting it after the fuck awesome that was the limited for Reach which had Hasley's Journal.

I missed the LE preorder at Gamestop but asked the manager about it and he said to basically call back in a couple of weeks when they start allocating units to stores as they can usually request a few extra copies for those who missed out.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I wish jelyk was here to make a sarcastic post about the scarcity of Halo LEs.

How would you give away the helmets? I'd imagine that they would be tied to the same bundle, if you're talking about the XBL Map Pass.

Well I'm actually fucking worried now. I would love for this scarcity to just be false so I can just get the limited edition.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG

Oh. Shit.

I completely forgot the helmets were tied into the bullshit 'purchase with Xbox points online' model. I kept telling myself the download codes would be on a card.

son of a...

Multiple people being able to view a video in Theater at once is something I'd love if they brought back, but I'm not getting my hopes up about it. It was one of my favourite memories from Halo 3 though. There was almost nothing funnier than loading up a clip where something hilarious/awesome happened and just replaying it in slow motion and from different angles while laughing with friends about it.

Sending people clips just isn't the same, cause usually it's like:
"Man, I pulled off the craziest shit in a match the other day, I saved the match so I'll go watch it again later"
"If you clip it and throw it on your fileshare and I'll watch it later"
*never happens* :(

Or if I do put it on my fileshare I'll forget to tell them I did, or they'll forget to mention they saw it etc. So it's definitely a feature I'd love to see returning, but seeing as they took it out after 3 I'd just be surprised to see it now.

Yep- and what I miss is playing a game, something unexplained happens, and then being able to go into a lobby with your team right after the game to see what in the hell happened.

Anyways- I'm sure the feature won't be making a return.

H3 was garbage.

Yes, clips were bad. Never had issues like this with watching full games, though.

senador

Banned
Well I'm actually fucking worried now. I would love for this scarcity to just be false so I can just get the limited edition.

I'm actually considering dropping down to the regular version, getting the war games pass separately so I get those helmets, and picking up the Forward Unto Dawn Blu-ray. Seems like I might get a bit more that way. I dunno.

Satchel

Banned
Just watched the new IGN MP walkthroughs.

Can't be said enough how great this game looks.

Abandon reminds me heaps of Guardian from Halo 3. Lived that map. Loving Flood/Infection. Making the infected flood gives it a bit more meaning. Really like it.

Top Bottom