• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

watership

It's still blowing my mind that that was an ad, made for broadcast, for a BETA. I know it's part of the larger marketing campaign but it's crazy non the less.

GhaleonEB

LukeSmith said:
Every game counts toward your division.
I though only your Daily Ratings did. :\

Please tell me there's going to be a comprehensive write up on the Arena. I've read every interview and article on the Arena so far, and I apparently still don't understand how it works at all. :(

If every game counts toward your Division, what's the purpose of the Daily Ratings? Why not just say, "play 10 games to qualify for a Division"? If every game counts, why do they have to be clustered into sets of Daily Ratings if the Divisions consider every game and not the Daily Ratings? I do not understand their function.

Spirit3

GhaleonEB said:

Please tell me there's going to be a comprehensive write up on the Arena. I've read every interview and article on the Arena so far, and I apparently still don't understand how it works at all. :(

If every game counts toward your Division, what's the purpose of the Daily Ratings? Why not just say, "play 10 games to qualify for a Division"? If every game counts, why do they have to be clustered into sets of Daily Ratings if the Divisions consider every game and not the Daily Ratings?

That makes 2. I've followed everything that has been said between you, Luke and Urk and have no understanding at all about how this system works. One minute it's your best three games, the next it's all games, then bad games have no effect on your division placement except they can under some circumstances make you drop a division. Well the confusion continues. BWU for Arena FAQ?

Falagard said:
The ad was underwhelming, but I'm guessing from OuterWorldVoice's comments it's going to be a small part of a larger advertising campaign / story arc.

For example, this shows "The birth of a Spartan III". Later we either see additional team members introduced, such as Kat, Jorge, etc. or we see Noble together on a mission. One of Noble team is killed, and needs to be replaced - so perhaps we'll see that. And then we are introduced to the new member of the team - the Lone Wolf - you. Something like that ;-)

The funny thing is that the ad probably cost a couple million dollars to make and then another few million to put on the air in marketing costs. Insane.

I get the feeling you might be talking about the ad campaign as a whole but if you're talking about just this 2 minute short I think you are probably mistaken. There wasn't much in that ad that would need a couple of million to make.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Slightly unrelated to the beta, does Best Buy guarantee pre-orders? I have credit at Best Buy but want to be guaranteed a copy of the Legendary edition. If they can't guarantee it I will go to GameStop.

Thanks

NG28

watership said:
It's still blowing my mind that that was an ad, made for broadcast, for a BETA. I know it's part of the larger marketing campaign but it's crazy non the less.
You also have to remember though that most everyone will need to purchase ODST to participate in the beta. It pimps Reach and drives sales for their previous game.

Littleberu said:
It's an ad for the Beta.
So, you're saying that this is a marketing campaign directed at the hardcore Halo fans? That makes it even worse.

Falagard said:
The ad was underwhelming, but I'm guessing from OuterWorldVoice's comments it's going to be a small part of a larger advertising campaign / story arc.

For example, this shows "The birth of a Spartan III". Later we either see additional team members introduced, such as Kat, Jorge, etc. or we see Noble together on a mission. One of Noble team is killed, and needs to be replaced - so perhaps we'll see that. And then we are introduced to the new member of the team - the Lone Wolf - you. Something like that ;-)

The funny thing is that the ad probably cost a couple million dollars to make and then another few million to put on the air in marketing costs. Insane.
My first thought after watching the extended version was that I hoped it was the first part of a larger commercial short, similar to the H3 Blomkamp ads. As it is, it's incredibly flat and without any resonance. Maybe 343 needs to consult you. :D

NJ Shlice

GhaleonEB said:

If every game counts toward your Division, what's the purpose of the Daily Ratings? Why not just say, "play 10 games to qualify for a Division"? If every game counts, why do they have to be clustered into sets of Daily Ratings if the Divisions consider every game and not the Daily Ratings? I do not understand their function.

Every game counts, but your X best games make up your Daily Ranking. I had thought originally they said your 3 best games equals your daily ranking.

LQzYF.jpg

RDIJF.jpg

This without a doubt makes waiting that much harder!

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
I think this is a test. Another way to see how skilled you are. If you don't understand it, you'll likely stay out of the Arena.:lol
Thing is, I work in corporate finance. Building and refining complex models is what I do for a living! I build a beast of a model last quarter, but I can't figure out how the Arena works.

I need a flow chart on it. :(
NJ Shlice said:
Every game counts, but your X best games make up your Daily Ranking. I had thought originally they said your 3 best games equals your daily ranking.
Right, so what's the point of the Daily Rating if every game counts? The Daily Rating is just your top three. Does the DR then feed into something?

I thought it was this:

all games --> top three daily games --> Daily Rating --> 3 Daily Ratings to qualify for Division --> subsequent Daily Ratings influence Division

Meanwhile, in the background:

all games --> impact TrueSkill rating

Now were I to map it out, the Daily Ratings would go into a box that does not subsequently connect to another part of the process.

I'm going to hit up Visio when I get to work. :lol

I'll try to put my understand of the Arena out there as plainly as possible, and Luke (or urk) can correct what I've got wrong.

1. You enter the Arena and play games.
2. As soon as you have played three (?) games, you have a Daily Rating (which is an average of your rating in each of those games?).
3. If you play more than three games, only those that would contribute positively to your Daily Rating count towards your Daily Rating. If your Daily Rating is 1100 after three games and you go on to suck it up, your Daily Rating won't drop, as it is counting your three best games. But if you play three more games that improve on the Rating, it readjusts and takes a new average of the three best games. The more games you play, the more likely it is your average rating will be higher.
4. When you've clocked enough Daily Ratings, you are given a (provisional) Division placement. I think this is based on an average of the best Daily Ratings?
5. As with 3, clocking up more Daily Ratings won't negatively impact your Division placement, because it always takes your best Daily Ratings. But you can positively impact your placement by playing more and collecting a better set of Daily Ratings.
6. The only way your placement goes down is when other players place ahead of you, likely because they're playing more.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
squidhands said:
Maybe 343 needs to consult you. :D

Not to channel Urk, but 343 isn't the marketing dept., either.

Anyway, relax. It's the Halo marketing team. They know what they're doing.

Zeouterlimits said:
Someone Devin has on his friends list.
The Halo Reach Beta.
Right Now.
XBL.
F&F, probably.

F&F starts tomorow right, im guessing apart from Bungie guys no one even has access to the thing yet? So who the hell is he playing against?

OuterWorldVoice said:

So, casual conversation, what are you guys currently working on? :D

Meh thats never going to work, I really am intruiged what all the programmers at 343 are working on right now.

GhaleonEB said:
Right, so what's the point of the Daily Rating if every game counts? The Daily Rating is just your top three. Does the DR then feed into something?
Maybe he meant that with every game you play, you run the possibility of making your Daily Rating better (certainly seems that you can't make it worse). I can't wait to see how stupid I feel when the Arena formula is posted.
I originally wanted to be an astronaut, but I was too stupid in teh maths. Monkeys got to go to space, why can't I? :-(

OuterWorldVoice said:

I am Jack's relaxed posture.

GhaleonEB

Shake Appeal said:
I'll try to put my understand of the Arena out there as plainly as possible, and Luke (or urk) can correct what I've got wrong.

1. You enter the Arena and play games.
2. As soon as you have played three (?) games, you have a Daily Rating (which is an average of your rating in each of those games?).
3. If you play more than three games, only those that would contribute positively to your Daily Rating count towards your Daily Rating. If your Daily Rating is 1100 after three games and you go on to suck it up, your Daily Rating won't drop, as it is counting your three best games. But if you play three more games that improve on the Rating, it readjusts and takes a new average of the three best games. The more games you play, the more likely it is your average rating will be higher.
4. When you've clocked enough Daily Ratings, you are given a (provisional) Division placement. I think this is based on an average of the best Daily Ratings?
5. As with 3, clocking up more Daily Ratings won't negatively impact your Division placement, because it always takes your best Daily Ratings. But you can positively impact your placement by playing more and collecting a better set of Daily Ratings.
6. The only way your placement goes down is when other players place ahead of you, likely because they're playing more.
You have just described my understanding of The Arena system at the time I went to be last night. However, Luke just said "Every game counts toward your division," which blew up my understanding of it. I thought Divisional standing was based on Daily Ratings, but that's not the case if every game counts.

bobs99 ... said:
F&F starts tomorow right, im guessing apart from Bungie guys no one even has access to the thing yet? So who the hell is he playing against?
.. Loads in Microsoft have been playing (the alpha & therefore likely the beta).

So you know that if someone was given a code it wouldn't work yet? Because I think it would.

bobs99 ... said:

So, casual conversation, what are you guys currently working on? :D

Meh thats never going to work, I really am intruiged what all the programmers at 343 are working on right now.

Judging from what Urk said earlier, the codes are active and someone must've got one early.

Zeouterlimits said:
.. Loads in Microsoft have been playing (the alpha & therefore likely the beta).

So you know that if someone was given a code it wouldn't work yet? Because I think it would.

I dont know if they would work or not, but Bungie havent actually sent the codes out yet have they? I guess its pluasable that the people at MS have all been given access codes already though. I just didnt think they would have gone out publically yet.

GhaleonEB maybe Luke meant that every game has the potential to count towards your daily rating if its that game is currently better than the 3 you have? If your Daily rating changes then your division rating would. So maybe its just a really technical way of saying - every game can potentially count?

Edit: beaten.

Perhaps he meant "every game counts" in the sense that every game could potentially improve your placement, provided it is good enough. That is, there is no point at which playing more Arena games won't be worthwhile, unless you are the Jesus of Halo and are hitting a near-optimal score.

Reading all the Arena stuff has made me go cross-eyed... but I think I have the general idea. Thanks to all who have been trying to nail it down. Now I just need to play some Arena :D

Falagard

randomlyrossy said:
I get the feeling you might be talking about the ad campaign as a whole but if you're talking about just this 2 minute short I think you are probably mistaken. There wasn't much in that ad that would need a couple of million to make.

Nope, I'm talking about this 2 minute short costing a couple million to make. These things are very expensive to produce. For example, remember the Halo 3 "Believe" campaign with the old veterans talking about a battle, and the hand sculpted diorama? 10 million dollars.

Maybe a couple million is a bit high, but I'm guessing at least a million would be about right. There are a lot of special effects even in this short clip.

Wizman23

Banned
My understanding for Arena is that your "best" score for each day is what your ranking is based on as to what division you are put in. The every game counts thing may just have to do with trueskill and people you are matched up against. We all have good days and bad days playing Halo. This system in theory will put us up against equally matched players even if we are pwning people and getting high scores. 2 equal teams going up against each other is Halo at its best, and I think that is what this system is trying to make happen.

...I also can't believe some of you are bitching about the fricking ad. Its a fricking commercial! I thought the ad was fine for what it was. I imagine as we get closer to September (hopefully) the ads will be more action packed. The ad was more or less a teaser for the good stuff.

I also don't know if anyone commented on this or not but the ammo supply crate in Overlook is a very good indication that Firefight is the true test for Network test 1. Ammo crates are not needed in normal MP due to constant respawning.

GhaleonEB

Shake Appeal said:
Edit: beaten.

Perhaps he meant "every game counts" in the sense that every game could potentially improve your placement, provided it is good enough. That is, there is no point at which playing more Arena games won't be worthwhile, unless you are the Jesus of Halo and are hitting a near-optimal score.
Look at the context:

GhaleonEB said:
If I have it right: Every game contributes to the Trueskill calculation, but only the top three games of each day (the Daily Rating) contributes to your Divisional placement. Even after you have qualified for an initial Division.

LukeSmith said:
Every game counts toward your division.
I was saying what you just said, and Luke corrected me.

I'm going to put together a diagram when I get to work in an hour, maybe we can use that to identify where my understanding is off.

Semi OT but I finished my first ever run of ODST today, short but sweet, I can see how bungie improved on a few problems Halo 3 had, it was good.

Going back to the halo fave list a few pages back which I saw on my ipod touch, I would have to rate the series so far in this order:

Halo CE (most fun for me)
ODST (great mix of exploration, open city map which works brilliantly)
3 (good campaign on the first run, had it's problems)
2 (snooze campaign even on the first play through, lack of fun is a good way of putting it)

Not played wars yet but it's also by a different studio and a completely different genre.

Man that Carter video was weak compared to all the last videos.. It would be cool if the make a short video like that for all of Noble Team and then release a battle scene with all of them once all the characters were introduced.

Doodis

Falagard said:
Nope, I'm talking about this 2 minute short costing a couple million to make. These things are very expensive to produce. For example, remember the Halo 3 "Believe" campaign with the old veterans talking about a battle, and the hand sculpted diorama? 10 million dollars.

Maybe a couple million is a bit high, but I'm guessing at least a million would be about right. There are a lot of special effects even in this short clip.
Yup. People would be surprised how much it actually costs to produce a high-quality TV commercial. And then pay for it to be on air. Mucho moneys.

Stuff like this rating system worries me that I'll be tired of Reach as quickly as Halo 3. Bungie's got too loud of a minority fanbase that treats this game like some psuedo-sport (which it isn't and never will be.) If anything, Halo was the definitive casual fps. Just get some friends over and play and watch the hours disappear. That's what made it such a super hit 10 years ago.

People play games for fun. Matchmaking should be fast first, and concerned about "balance" later. If I want to leave after the game because the game isn't balanced enough for my enjoyment, then I will leave on my own behalf. I don't need mr. computer to do that for me. What I need is mr. computer to get me in a game asap so i can have fun.
I don't need mr. computer to give everyone incentive to take this crap too seriously. It's a game. Don't put emphasis on what number rank I am or whatever. Being good at the game should be reward enough for being good at the game. At most, give me a pat on the back, an aesthetic reward, the ability to save my amazing "skillz" in a file when I do good. Go ahead and give me incentive to have fun...not incentive to take the game too seriously (not fun). If I want to start a league or clan and take it to the next level of competitiveness, I will.

Halo 1 is still my (and a lot of people's) favorite halo game. One thing that made it so great is that it didn't count anything. You played with your friends, you had fun. It was as competitive as you want it to be, not what bungie thinks you think it should be.

And before people say "well, you don't have to pay attention to rank/league"...yes, you kinda do. Even if you don't, too many people you play with certainly will. It's the only number that defines you when you play the game. Imagine in COD (or any game for that matter) your KDR was put right in front of your name in a matchmaking lobby and everyone else can see your stats with one button press. What would happen? People will start to take their KDR super seriously...even moreso than usual. It's completely psychological. This is Xbox Live here. People take games seriously enough without your data being flaunted. Your stats are what define you in Halo and has made it a worse game.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I swear, if Einstein were to sit in front of me and explain E = mc^2, I'd understand it faster than having someone explain Arena to me. :lol

My best guess: dong every game, game says "you're super awesome!" by giving you a colored badge, rinse and repeat every month. :p

Kapura

Banned
Mr. B Natural said:
Stuff like this rating system worries me that I'll be tired of Reach as quickly as Halo 3. Bungie's got too loud of a minority fanbase that treats this game like some psuedo-sport (which it isn't and never will be.) If anything, Halo was the definitive casual fps. Just get some friends over and play and watch the hours disappear. That's what made it such a super hit 10 years ago.

People play games for fun. Matchmaking should be fast first, and concerned about "balance" later. If I want to leave after the game because the game isn't balanced enough for my enjoyment, then I will leave on my own behalf. I don't need mr. computer to do that for me. What I need is mr. computer to get me in a game asap so i can have fun.
I don't need mr. computer to give everyone incentive to take this crap too seriously. It's a game. Don't put emphasis on what number rank I am or whatever. Being good at the game should be reward enough for being good at the game. At most, give me a pat on the back, an aesthetic reward, the ability to save my amazing "skillz" in a file when I do good. Go ahead and give me incentive to have fun...not incentive to take the game too seriously (not fun). If I want to start a league or clan and take it to the next level of competitiveness, I will.

Halo 1 is still my (and a lot of people's) favorite halo game. One thing that made it so great is that it didn't count anything. You played with your friends, you had fun. It was as competitive as you want it to be, not what bungie thinks you think it should be.

And before people say "well, you don't have to pay attention to rank/league"...yes, you kinda do. Even if you don't, too many people you play with certainly will. It's the only number that defines you when you play the game. Imagine in COD (or any game for that matter) your KDR was put right in front of your name in a matchmaking lobby and everyone else can see your stats with one button press. What would happen? People will start to take their KDR super seriously...even moreso than usual. It's completely psychological. This is Xbox Live here...people take games seriously enough without your data being flaunted. Your stats are what define you in Halo and has made it a worse game.
The rank and league assignments ONLY apply to the Arena playlists. There will be more non-Arena playlists than Arena playlists, IIRC. This is something built for the competitive people, social is built for everybody else. I would imagine that there is less Trueskill convergence in Social to help you find exactly what it seems you specifically want: quick games. But at the same time, you don't want to be playing with people who repeatedly beat your nuts into the ground with steel-toed boots. You want a match that has a semblance of fairness so that you have to work for the win but it's still highly achievable.

In a LAN or splitscreen setting, you could always redistribute the teams so that the better people aren't concentrated on one side. Matchmaking needs to try and do that on the fly, which is why you don't get three second matches.

unrelated edit URK IS TODAY ADVANCED ARENA MATHS DAY? PLEASE SAY YES!

chess

It will be interesting to see how everyone's perceived opinions change after next week. The game will play a bit differently and the way ranking and MM work has mostly no relation to previous games. I look forward to discussing legitimate concerns.

ps Don't nerf the needle rifle!

watership

NG28 said:
You also have to remember though that most everyone will need to purchase ODST to participate in the beta. It pimps Reach and drives sales for their previous game.

I did notice ODST is in the Pal charts again this week.

Lunchbox

Banned
Mr. B Natural said:

And before people say "well, you don't have to pay attention to rank/league"...yes, you kinda do. Even if you don't, too many people you play with certainly will. It's the only number that defines you when you play the game. Imagine in COD (or any game for that matter) your KDR was put right in front of your name in a matchmaking lobby and everyone else can see your stats with one button press. What would happen? People will start to take their KDR super seriously...even moreso than usual. It's completely psychological. This is Xbox Live here. People take games seriously enough without your data being flaunted. Your stats are what define you in Halo and has made it a worse game.

get better at the game

Top Bottom